Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Democrats ran a poo poo candidate again and now the people who held their noses and voted for her are being blamed for failing Her Majesty. :waycool:

If the Democrats lose even when we vote for them, why shouldn't we vote for someone else if they run a terrible candidate again?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is such a great analogy that I hope you don't mind when I inevitably steal it one day.

Wipe the adulatory drool off your chin, it's unbecoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Oh Snapple! posted:

Why are leftists - and only leftists - expected to compromise? Why is the responsibility solely on them, when they've been swallowing this centrist dogshit for the last three decades because they were told they had to if they wanted to win?

Aren’t you expecting centrists to compromise? Consider their perspective - they look at their two most left-wing candidates of the last fifty years (McGovern & Mondale) got utterly crushed. The things we fantasized happening to Trump actually happened to liberals in living memory.

Now consider what started this conversation - wanting people to go to bat for a governor who can win in a state where the alternative is probably 0.7 on the Gilead scale. Perriello went for it, and he lost. But rather than unite behind the best candidate left, Perriello’s supporters speak like you speak, and they do nothing to further a candidate he’s enthusiastically supported and stumped for. He compromised. Does that make him less worthy of support? Is he wrong to do what he’s doing?

All-or-Nothing is going to destroy this country for a century or more. The right wing has the ability to coalesce behind anything, and look where we are today, and where we’ll be tomorrow. What you’re advocating gives your cause less power, not more. And from my angle (Labor, organizing, so on), without unification for a common cause, you are hosed.

So yes. Someone has to stop being proud. It’s like that stupid argument you have with your best friend that could ruin everything. Without compromise or forgiveness, you’re just out a friend. gently caress that. I could use a friend.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Wow skull dot gif thats pretty rude!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

The Democrats ran a poo poo candidate again

Is your premise Obama was a "poo poo candidate"?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Oh gently caress you guys, seriously. The Republicans elected loving Trump and you idiots are still so obsessed with ideological purity that you'd rather let another loving right-wing white supremacist win an election than hold your loving nose for five goddamn minutes. And you wonder why the left can't win loving elections.

Buddy, it's not the left who'd rather keep the very people who managed to lose to loving Trump in control within the party, and hence jeopardize every single election, than give up a single scrap of power.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I'm like 99% sure I've seen you make the exact opposite of this argument when someone tried to claim it was the candidates themselves who are getting more progressive.

Well, if you can find the post, feel free to quote it. I'm pretty certain I've been making this argument for a long time, and never argued the opposite, though.

quote:

You're I'd say... ten, fifteen years tops from just voting straight R. Nothing tangible seems to matter to you, you just want to feel personally catered to. The Rs will make you very comfortable.

You're a really mean-spirited person, and I feel sorry for you.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Aren’t you expecting centrists to compromise? Consider their perspective - they look at their two most left-wing candidates of the last fifty years (McGovern & Mondale) got utterly crushed. The things we fantasized happening to Trump actually happened to liberals in living memory.

I'd rather lose trying to do the right thing than go belly up for the whims of global capital, sorry.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

NewForumSoftware posted:

I'd rather lose trying to do the right thing than go belly up for the whims of global capital, sorry.

What are you doing to further those aims?

Every time I ask this question, it goes unanswered.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

Well, if you can find the post, feel free to quote it. I'm pretty certain I've been making this argument for a long time, and never argued the opposite, though.

You're a really mean-spirited person, and I feel sorry for you.

Lmao. All you leftism experts surely know the concept of the "state monopoly on violence" yeah? If any of you pissbabies could endure listening to a woman or minority talk you might be aware of its corollary, the white male monopoly on anger. It's so easy to shock bubbleboys like you. Simply disagreeing with you is the most anti-social thing you armchair revolutionaries can fathom.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

How are things going on the ground in VA right now? That latest poll with Northam being down 8 has me a bit shaken though I do understand how it goes against the general trend. And that it has 27% "undecided" which polls usually try to work and avoid in their methodology.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Rest in peace comrade newforumsoftwhere, another martyr of the mods' anti-leftist agenda 💀

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lmao. All you leftism experts surely know the concept of the "state monopoly on violence" yeah? If any of you pissbabies could endure listening to a woman or minority talk

Hey, judgmental shithead? I work for a charity that gives free eye surgeries and vision care to underserved people, both here in the U.S. and worldwide, and most of the people we serve are not white. I just came back from Peru, where I assisted in a free clinic for two weeks. One of the people I work most frequently with is a doctor in Namibia who was literally a refugee from apartheid. Don't go making assumptions about people you don't know.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lmao. All you leftism experts surely know the concept of the "state monopoly on violence" yeah? If any of you pissbabies could endure listening to a woman or minority talk you might be aware of its corollary, the white male monopoly on anger. It's so easy to shock bubbleboys like you. Simply disagreeing with you is the most anti-social thing you armchair revolutionaries can fathom.

Majorian has been one of the most kind and understanding and level headed posters on here, to accuse him of being a closet Republican is actually really lovely on your part.

And to be fair, you have a point that there exists a lot of unexamined sexism/racism on the left, but there exists a lot of unexamined sexism/racism everywhere and to blame the left as being uniquely awful in that regard is unfair.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How are things going on the ground in VA right now? That latest poll with Northam being down 8 has me a bit shaken though I do understand how it goes against the general trend. And that it has 27% "undecided" which polls usually try to work and avoid in their methodology.

Piggybacking on this, what are your talking points when you knock on doors? I'm jealous that you're mostly reaching out to friendlies. I did GOTV in central cali for the presidential election and it was... rough.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Calibanibal posted:

Rest in peace comrade newforumsoftwhere, another martyr of the mods' anti-leftist agenda 💀

Huh, didn't really think that'd be the post he'd get a weekly for.

lol at picking fights with loving Majorian of all people.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

Hey, judgmental shithead? I work for a charity that gives free eye surgeries and vision care to underserved people, both here in the U.S. and worldwide, and most of the people we serve are not white. I just came back from Peru, where I assisted in a free clinic for two weeks. One of the people I work most frequently with is a doctor in Namibia who was literally a refugee from apartheid. Don't go making assumptions about people you don't know.

You first, fuckboy.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

You first, fuckboy.

I'm not making any assumptions about you. I just know that what you're saying about me isn't fair, and I'm calling you out on it.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That poll is trash, honestly. The internal polling is good, and a lot of it comes down to turnout. The NoVA Machine is a turnout king, because without it, things go south. The north carried Hillary, and the North has been pissed since last year. This is our first chance to vote since then, and people are red hot for it.

It’ll be close, but i expect the statewide GOP losing streak to go up to ten.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Nobody was going to win against Nixon in 72' absent some fantastic poo poo happening and in any case the Dem right wing literally stabbed McGovern in the back, and Mondale was running on the centrist script as a candidate, which was the same one that Carter, Dukakis, Gore, Kerry and Hillary lost on. So forgive me if the left treats this here claim with some scepticism.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

That poll is trash, honestly. The internal polling is good, and a lot of it comes down to turnout. The NoVA Machine is a turnout king, because without it, things go south. The north carried Hillary, and the North has been pissed since last year. This is our first chance to vote since then, and people are red hot for it.

Even that weird poll had the current governor at 55% (off the top of my head) approval so that definitely bodes well.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

I'm not making any assumptions about you. I just know that what you're saying about me isn't fair, and I'm calling you out on it.

I love how every time one of you gets called out you wanna act like time only started running five minutes ago. I'm familiar with your repertoire, Marj.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Your Boy Fancy posted:

And hey, I wanted to say that I'm actually extremely inspired by your posts and actions, but the reason I don't talk about it is because I don't live in VA and frankly I don't have anything to contribute other than "Keep up the good work."

I'm sorry if you think that people are making GBS threads on you for the act of actually doing stuff, but honestly I don't think that's what's happening. There's a huge fight going on for the soul of the Democratic party right now and a lot of people are getting swept up in it, often unfairly. The leftist/centrist divide needs to be fundamentally addressed at some point, putting it off forever or just purging the leftists is not going to work.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Not everybody has the time or resources to go canvassing or phonebanking. For many people, supporting the candidates that most align with their ideals is the best they can do.

Because free time with which to engage in political activism is a luxury that not everybody has the privilege to have.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Majorian you made very specific assumptions about the meanness of tiny bronto's spirit. I saw it

Not even I can analysis a spirit over the internet.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

I love how every time one of you gets called out you wanna act like time only started running five minutes ago. I'm familiar with your repertoire, Marj.

For the love of God quit being vague and just specifically accuse him of whatever you wish to accuse him of

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

What is my repertoire, in your mind? Because I've stood up for you on more than one occasion, and I'm usually pretty nice to people in general.

Are you sure you're not just lumping me in with people like NFS?

Calibanibal posted:

Majorian you made very specific assumptions about the meanness of tiny bronto's spirit. I saw it

Not even I can analysis a spirit over the internet.

How dare you question my ability to read internet auras.:colbert:

e:

WampaLord posted:

Majorian has been one of the most kind and understanding and level headed posters on here, to accuse him of being a closet Republican is actually really lovely on your part.

Hey thanks, that means a lot to me. You're pretty awesome yourself.:hfive:

Majorian fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 27, 2017

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Piggybacking on this, what are your talking points when you knock on doors? I'm jealous that you're mostly reaching out to friendlies. I did GOTV in central cali for the presidential election and it was... rough.

Pretty standard stuff for our state. Expand Medicare, better jobs, more education cash, ease traffic congestion. #1 question I’ve gotten is on statues, which goes okay since nobody’s advocating throwing them in a dumpster.

Thing is, VA is schizoid. The north is full of jobs, good money, immigration, defense contracts, and drat near unaffordable housing. From there, outside the southeast and Richmond, stuff gets dicey quick. The panhandle is completely desolate, and neither party is doing a drat thing for them except maintaining the roads so they can escape to better lands. So you can tell people that the state is doing well, and on aggregate it is. But beyond NoVA, there’s zero indication of it. So they vote with their ancestors and hope that business is coming, and business never does.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Your Boy Fancy do you have any suggestions for those who do not have time to go out and phonebank or go door to door?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

unwantedplatypus posted:

Not everybody has the time or resources to go canvassing or phonebanking. For many people, supporting the candidates that most align with their ideals is the best they can do.

Because free time with which to engage in political activism is a luxury that not everybody has the privilege to have.

That’s why I push the Virtual Phone Bank in particular, since that’s one of those that people can do from home. I always tell people (and I’ll admit I learned this from BLM) that if they really are slammed for time, throw ten bucks at a candidate you love or a cause you prefer. And if you have neither time nor money, we can educate and tell people who have one or both where to go with it.

I’m operating under the assumption that a good chunk of us can always contribute SOMETHING, even if it’s just a little education and encouragement. And encouragement, especially, is the biggest loving thing. Because everything matters. Someone saying “hey, you can make life suck less for somebody” can be the difference.

WampaLord posted:

And hey, I wanted to say that I'm actually extremely inspired by your posts and actions, but the reason I don't talk about it is because I don't live in VA and frankly I don't have anything to contribute other than "Keep up the good work."

I'm sorry if you think that people are making GBS threads on you for the act of actually doing stuff, but honestly I don't think that's what's happening. There's a huge fight going on for the soul of the Democratic party right now and a lot of people are getting swept up in it, often unfairly. The leftist/centrist divide needs to be fundamentally addressed at some point, putting it off forever or just purging the leftists is not going to work.

It seems less that they’re making GBS threads on me as a person and more on the idea of the system possibly helping them in any way. And that’s why I got hot in the first place. Like, in my perfect world, DSA forms the analogue to the Corbyn style Labour Party here, giving voice to the people who are trying desperately just to get by. But I also have to march with the army I have, not the army I wish I had. We beat back right-to-work from the state constitution, but it’s still a law that’s currently unassailable legislatively. The wins we get aren’t Full Communism Now, but they keep us in the game for a day when we can get there. And the next generation of incredible people, centrist and Center-Left and leftist alike, are running TODAY. I keep asking what people are doing today, because today is all I’ve got.

The soul of the Democratic Party might be salvageable, and if it isn’t, then DSA will swallow it whole. I believe this. The day is coming. And someone is going to have to stand up to the other - whether it’s the stale folks in power or the young insurgents on the street - and say “I have a plan, and if you come with me, we can both do better.” Failing that, I hope we abide by the will of the majority.

theCalamity posted:

Your Boy Fancy do you have any suggestions for those who do not have time to go out and phonebank or go door to door?

Mail a box of tea to your local Labor Fed I guess. I could use something when the coffee wears off. :)

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Thing is, VA is schizoid. The north is full of jobs, good money, immigration, defense contracts, and drat near unaffordable housing. From there, outside the southeast and Richmond, stuff gets dicey quick. The panhandle is completely desolate, and neither party is doing a drat thing for them except maintaining the roads so they can escape to better lands. So you can tell people that the state is doing well, and on aggregate it is. But beyond NoVA, there’s zero indication of it. So they vote with their ancestors and hope that business is coming, and business never does.

Is there any way the Dems could appeal to these people without succumbing to "gently caress identity politics" horseshit? Is anyone pushing to try and offer them something?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Your Boy Fancy posted:

It seems less that they’re making GBS threads on me as a person and more on the idea of the system possibly helping them in any way. And that’s why I got hot in the first place. Like, in my perfect world, DSA forms the analogue to the Corbyn style Labour Party here, giving voice to the people who are trying desperately just to get by. But I also have to march with the army I have, not the army I wish I had. We beat back right-to-work from the state constitution, but it’s still a law that’s currently unassailable legislatively. The wins we get aren’t Full Communism Now, but they keep us in the game for a day when we can get there. And the next generation of incredible people, centrist and Center-Left and leftist alike, are running TODAY. I keep asking what people are doing today, because today is all I’ve got.

I think most of the leftists here (including me) are on the same page with you on this one, for the record. NFS and white sauce are outliers, so don't think they speak for the rest of us.:)

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I think you're a swell guy who's doing one of the better things possible for someone in your position, YBF. Of course that's basically just jumping onto the same bandwagon as a bunch of other jagoffs in this thread without going so far as to express anything resembling my own political beliefs, so here's something from Bill Clinton.

https://twitter.com/NYTnickc/status/922950757380435969

:love:I hate BIll Clinton.:love:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

If you substitute "everybody" for "the average voter" and assume an immense amount of cynicism this is a fair assessment imo.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Knight posted:

Is there any way the Dems could appeal to these people without succumbing to "gently caress identity politics" horseshit? Is anyone pushing to try and offer them something?

Honestly? As much as I hate their labor practices, dropping Amazon outside of Blacksburg would revitalize the Southwest. The trouble comes back to guns a lot of the time - VA loves hunting, though I will say I met a guy in the woods a few weeks ago, right after Vegas, who said “you know, I usually vote straight NRA, but that’s for deer hunting, man. Ain’t nobody need a machine gun to hunt deer. And if you do...shoot, man.”

What we need are jobs in the south. There’s plenty of people ready to work, and there’s just nothing there. McAulliffe did his level best to attract any and all business to VA, and he shocked the hell out of us all by being just a god-tier ambassador of good poo poo around here. Put an auto plant in Dublin or Pulaski, and it’ll change the world.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Honestly? As much as I hate their labor practices, dropping Amazon outside of Blacksburg would revitalize the Southwest. The trouble comes back to guns a lot of the time - VA loves hunting, though I will say I met a guy in the woods a few weeks ago, right after Vegas, who said “you know, I usually vote straight NRA, but that’s for deer hunting, man. Ain’t nobody need a machine gun to hunt deer. And if you do...shoot, man.”

What we need are jobs in the south. There’s plenty of people ready to work, and there’s just nothing there. McAulliffe did his level best to attract any and all business to VA, and he shocked the hell out of us all by being just a god-tier ambassador of good poo poo around here. Put an auto plant in Dublin or Pulaski, and it’ll change the world.

That's a really lovely position to be in, but a familiar story to me unfortunately. :smith:

I take it there's no way to get any kind of business development in the near term without offering lovely concessions?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I'm like 99% sure I've seen you make the exact opposite of this argument when someone tried to claim it was the candidates themselves who are getting more progressive.

You're I'd say... ten, fifteen years tops from just voting straight R. Nothing tangible seems to matter to you, you just want to feel personally catered to. The Rs will make you very comfortable.

Actually, Slashie, Majorian has moved decidedly left during his years on D&D. I'd say you're way further on the scale to becoming a Republican (stanning for pols who covet war criminals' endorsements; ignoring the real effects on women of neoliberalism) than he is.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

Actually, Slashie, Majorian has moved decidedly left during his years on D&D. I'd say you're way further on the scale to becoming a Republican (stanning for pols who covet war criminals' endorsements; ignoring the real effects on women of neoliberalism) than he is.

I never thought I'd live to see the day where you said this about me.:allears:

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Knight posted:

That's a really lovely position to be in, but a familiar story to me unfortunately. :smith:

I take it there's no way to get any kind of business development in the near term without offering lovely concessions?

I mean, taxes are pretty low already. It’s just having a desire to put your money in a good state, but in a land without hope instead of one of the top-ten richest counties in the United States (I think we have three of them!).

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

No; women who've borne the brunt of your acid-tongued psychotic whiplash pity you just as much as the men, trust me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Your Boy Fancy posted:

That’s why I push the Virtual Phone Bank in particular, since that’s one of those that people can do from home. I always tell people (and I’ll admit I learned this from BLM) that if they really are slammed for time, throw ten bucks at a candidate you love or a cause you prefer. And if you have neither time nor money, we can educate and tell people who have one or both where to go with it.

I’m operating under the assumption that a good chunk of us can always contribute SOMETHING, even if it’s just a little education and encouragement. And encouragement, especially, is the biggest loving thing. Because everything matters. Someone saying “hey, you can make life suck less for somebody” can be the difference.

The soul of the Democratic Party might be salvageable, and if it isn’t, then DSA will swallow it whole. I believe this. The day is coming. And someone is going to have to stand up to the other - whether it’s the stale folks in power or the young insurgents on the street - and say “I have a plan, and if you come with me, we can both do better.” Failing that, I hope we abide by the will of the majority.

Mail a box of tea to your local Labor Fed I guess. I could use something when the coffee wears off. :)

Thanks for the info. I think I’m going to join my local DSA as well. I got tired of the Dems in my state (TX) not doing anything for the poor and black people, at least not that I could find. It’s been mostly anti-trump stuff. Finally went to a BLM meeting too. It was great.

• Locked thread