Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Arivia posted:

is 105 fov generally the sweet spot? I usually don't mess with that stuff from the default but those comparisons on the last few pages make me really feel like I'm missing out.

most people go for at least 90-95 fov, but the general idea is highest fov that doesn't bother you, which is different for each person

but yea definitely try raising it from the default 85 and see how you like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Arivia posted:

Yeah, D2 on PC is specifically built for and into the Battle.net platform, so it has a specific way of doing things.

Does it use the Battle.net social integration like guild and group chat in Diablo?

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Hexenritter posted:

Does it use the Battle.net social integration like guild and group chat in Diablo?

Half heatedly friends can PM\whisper and you can chat with your fire team you but there is no guild\clan\group chat

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
It’s insane how many mining operations I’ve disrupted in this game.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Tythas posted:

Half heatedly friends can PM\whisper and you can chat with your fire team you but there is no guild\clan\group chat

Well, they pretty much did go all in on communication being performed through the language of interpretive dance with that one lore entry, but this is such a stupid design choice.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

There is no public chat because Bungie didn't want to introduce an opportunity for people to be toxic.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/destiny-2/destiny-2-pc-text-chat-public-channel

Even though the game already has reporting systems to deal with toxic chat and people

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Well, given what I hear ad infinitum when playing Rainbow Six Siege, GTA Online, Friday the 13th, etc; yeah I can kinda sympathise with not wanting to expose their playerbase to it.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I fully support that tho yeah

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tythas posted:

There is no public chat because Bungie didn't want to introduce an opportunity for people to be toxic.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/destiny-2/destiny-2-pc-text-chat-public-channel

Even though the game already has reporting systems to deal with toxic chat and people

Public chat by default sucks, muting the drooling shitbrains is a good thing.

Who cares if you can report them, by the time you've gotten to that point they've already ruined your evening.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i dont care about public chat, but no clan chat is a loving travesty

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i dont care about public chat, but no clan chat is a loving travesty

Yeah. Zone/public chat isn't worth it because smoothbrains, but the omission of clan chat is ridiculous.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
how does the chat work in this game anyway? there's no tutorializing at all... But I see a little mic icon on the scoreboard when I go in the crucible - am I just spamming my teammates with my mouthbreathing? Also whats that little speech bubble icon that shows up in the lower right of my screen whenever I'm in a hub area?

e: there's a setting for push to talk but no way to set a push to talk button?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

sunken fleet posted:

how does the chat work in this game anyway? there's no tutorializing at all... But I see a little mic icon on the scoreboard when I go in the crucible - am I just spamming my teammates with my mouthbreathing? Also whats that little speech bubble icon that shows up in the lower right of my screen whenever I'm in a hub area?

Activity in chat window, you can bring it up with the Enter key.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Activity in chat window, you can bring it up with the Enter key.

Oh that makes sense. I was so confused for a while - thought it was like a mail icon or something.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

D1 did a pretty good job. A lot of perks on both weapons and armor were only active if you were killing PvE enemies!
To clarify I meant together as in using the same stats/effects for both PvE and PvP--having certain things only active against PvE enemies is exactly the right thing, in my opinion.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If y'all want to keep getting progressively more powerful while equipping whatever the hell gear you want,

Might I suggest Diablo 3??

thanks, any other game recommendations for everyone that finished destiny 2?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Minrad posted:

thanks, any other game recommendations for everyone that finished destiny 2?

I'm not even being facetious! D3 is awesome and oddly complementary to Destiny.

Doooo it

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Doooo it

The way I sold Destiny 2 to friends is I basically said it plays like Halo while in Diablo.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
You know. It really undercuts the dramatic music of "Look how fancy your Nightstalker is! Spam arrows!" when the enemy keeps popping damage immunities and no selling your shiny new ult :v:

Keeping up that proud MMO tradition of "suppression" powers not actually suppressing what matters I guess, so nothing new but the fancy music put a new spin on the whole "Status effects are useless on any enemy it would matter on" MMO standard.

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

:siren: EU PC GOONS! :siren:

I didn't see one already set up and the lack of any in game communication is just weird so I've set up a discord for people in Goon Squid Europa or just anyone in EU that wants to coordinate stuff with other goons.

It's brand new so pretty dead so far but hopefully we can get some Fireteams going.

Link: https://discord.gg/Gba5cP5

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Skoll posted:

The way I sold Destiny 2 to friends is I basically said it plays like Halo while in Diablo.

This is pretty good though.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Doooo it

nah I've played it a ton and I'm actually considering finally checking back in to play necro. been kinda hoping it would go on sale but i think blizzard mostly only ever does sales on wow items and full games.

its hard to tell when the thread's becoming a little too sarcastic hahaha

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

So are pulse and scout rifles supposed to be absolute poo poo? Cuz they are. If it isn't a handcannon, a SMG, or an auto rifle I scrap that turd.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

And Tyler Too! posted:

So are pulse and scout rifles supposed to be absolute poo poo? Cuz they are. If it isn't a handcannon, a SMG, or an auto rifle I scrap that turd.

You're just somebody that just wants to dump.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

scouts seem ok so far since they can reach out and touch heads a bit farther than handcannons for only a bit less damage but i'm only like level 10

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

And Tyler Too! posted:

keep one of everything purple that shoots

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

scouts seem ok so far since they can reach out and touch heads a bit farther than handcannons for only a bit less damage but i'm only like level 10

Some of the autorifles can do that too, and not have to reload after 5-7 shots.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

scout rifles are the best and they're the only long range weapons i bother with, but I also abuse triple tap and hunter's dodge reload a lot. it's very enjoyable to easily headshot people down fast in pvp.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
4 times a year they are committing to doing a sandbox balance update.

Keep one of everything! Slow firing Pulse rifles or rapid fire scouts might end up being the new Uriels.

remeez
Jan 10, 2007

Am I bad/dumb or is there no reason to use anything besides an AR in PVP

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Looking to join Daddies of Light. Because DADS

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Skoll posted:

Some of the autorifles can do that too, and not have to reload after 5-7 shots.

but autorifles have to use more bullets to make heads pop :kheldragar:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

but autorifles have to use more bullets to make heads pop :kheldragar:

Hey man, some of us like the sound of a rifle cycling over and over while Cabal heads pop like a teakettle.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

remeez posted:

Am I bad/dumb or is there no reason to use anything besides an AR in PVP

I mostly use headcannon (for close quarters) and scout rifle (for everything else) but AR would probable be a fine addition up there.

Power Weapons seem less obvious to me. Rocket Launcher seems like the most straight forward and reliable choice, sword relies on your opponents not killing you and snipers seem to do jack poo poo for damage if you aren't head shotting.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
PSA: Clans are causing a pseudo-memory leak effect on players. If you have lag, leave your clan. I have no idea what exactly it is but my frames would suddenly become sluggish and I'd lose roughly 10-20% of them no matter what I capped them at, even 60. If I capped at 70, they'd always go down to 60ish, if I capped at 60 they'd go down to 50ish. Others posted similar and someone discovered it was clans being buggy and lagging players out. After leaving my clan I no longer experience any lag that feels like a memory leak.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

US PC folks feel free to add me, BarbarianSte#1467

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

Akumos posted:

PSA: Clans are causing a pseudo-memory leak effect on players. If you have lag, leave your clan. I have no idea what exactly it is but my frames would suddenly become sluggish and I'd lose roughly 10-20% of them no matter what I capped them at, even 60. If I capped at 70, they'd always go down to 60ish, if I capped at 60 they'd go down to 50ish. Others posted similar and someone discovered it was clans being buggy and lagging players out. After leaving my clan I no longer experience any lag that feels like a memory leak.

So it's the clan doing that! drat they're actually worse than just useless right now. Thanks for the heads up.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

There a particular discord people are using for LFG? The social group seems dead as heck. Looking for some goons to do the 15-20 run tonight.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Minrad posted:

I mostly use headcannon (for close quarters) and scout rifle (for everything else) but AR would probable be a fine addition up there.

Power Weapons seem less obvious to me. Rocket Launcher seems like the most straight forward and reliable choice, sword relies on your opponents not killing you and snipers seem to do jack poo poo for damage if you aren't head shotting.

Swords are actually extremely good. The only true moments of joy I have from D2 pvp are sword kill sprees. They had gotten less effective as more people ran SMGs and Omolom sidearms, but I could still kill them by playing smart.

Rocket Launchers and fusions are also good. Very good players can use shotguns to great effect. The raid power weapon exotic is great.

Snipers are pretty poo poo but i have no idea if that applies to PC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

I do not approve of every decision Bungie has made nor do I think the writing is particularly brilliant but Failsafe made me smile with a lot of her lines. I know it's not genre-defining writing or anything but I like it and she's a fun character even though she's predictable. I like me an unbalanced valley girl AI thanks.

• Locked thread