Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

quebec and russia in a monster alliance

poutine and putin, enemies of america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

The Great Autismo! posted:

infinite jest lol

it's a good book that became a meme

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

also Tim Horton's coffee sucks rear end and tastes like cigarettes

i like their donuts. I like cake-style donuts at tim's or dunkin's over the mostly air of a krispy kreme

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Magna Kaser posted:

i like their donuts. I like cake-style donuts at tim's or dunkin's over the mostly air of a krispy kreme

this is hosed up

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Stringent posted:

this is hosed up

i grew up on heavy, cake donuts. krispy kreme style is like eating sugar-glazed air to me. i prefer rando small bakeries around where i grew up to the mass chains, but they're the same general style.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Magna Kaser posted:

i grew up on heavy, cake donuts. krispy kreme style is like eating sugar-glazed air to me. i prefer rando small bakeries around where i grew up to the mass chains, but they're the same general style.

this is hosed up

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

All donuts are beautiful.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Tim hortons donuts are not. Potato donuts from the farmer's market, dusted with cinnamon? yea.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I dont think I ever ate a donut in china that could be called a donut.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The apple cider donuts from justus orchard in NC are the best I've ever had: https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/justus-orchard-hendersonville?select=jFfDwAxPrcWYKr0nGV_0Iw

Also Krispy Kreme is from NC.

NC donut game on point.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Duck doughnuts whaddup

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Duck doughnutsty

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Stringent posted:

this is hosed up

He's right.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

A nice, cakey, glazed chocolate donut is as good as they get folks

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Ceciltron posted:

I dont think I ever ate a donut in china that could be called a donut.

Same, but Los Angeles. At least in China I could get a Dunkin Donut and it was mostly the same as back home

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I want donuts :qq:

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Philippines major in January lets go

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

fart simpson posted:

A nice, cakey, glazed chocolate donut is as good as they get folks

this is hosed up

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Stringent posted:

this is hosed up

Agreed

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Actually, the best donuts I ever had are these sourdough donuts I made: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511135&pagenumber=77&perpage=40#post472535886

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
this is hosed up

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
people have terrible opinions about things

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ladron posted:

people have terrible opinions about things

don't sign

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I don't like doughnuts. I'll eat one occasionally and it'll hit the spot if I'm in the mood, but otherwise...

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I don't like doughnuts. I'll eat one occasionally and it'll hit the spot if I'm in the mood, but otherwise...

Shut the heck up nerd

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

fart simpson posted:

Shut the heck up nerd

Eat a doughnut and cheer up!

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

Shut the heck up nerd

what the heck

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

HECK OFF you are doing me a frighten

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

You look like a donut

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

caberham posted:

You look like a donut

I am colorful with a hole, yes.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I am colorful with a hole, yes.

...is it plumpy?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

HECK OFF you are doing me a frighten

I like this.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

fart simpson posted:

Same, but Los Angeles. At least in China I could get a Dunkin Donut and it was mostly the same as back home
Im gonna fight you irl about this post

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Some quality posts itt

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
So here in Xinjiang the police have started stopping people on the streets and jacking into their phones to “search for terrorist videos”. I managed to avoid it a couple times, but got an insistent cop yesterday. I have no idea what is technically happening during these searches, or even really what is technically possible.

On the one hand, I’m not up to anything, and I’ve always understood I was relinquishing some things in terms of privacy and -you know, protection under the law- just by being here. So whatever. On the other hand, I’m still seriously grossed-out, and I figure I might as well at least factory-reset my phone in hopes of clearing any malicious software that might have been put on there (as though wechat wasn’t compromised enough to begin with.)

Anyway, it’s been really cool over the last few years to see things get materially better here. It’s a shame it’s come along with all the dystopian police-state garbage.

Sorry to interrupt donut chat, everybody. :(

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Please stay safe and take care of yourself!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My phone is full of goatse and trump memes to reshare with line chat, it would be a problem if I was searched.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
My photos are all of meals I’m about to eat and of the opening scenes of films I’m seeing at the cinema. I think it will be ok. It’s still creepy as hell.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

Minus1Minus1 posted:

So here in Xinjiang the police have started stopping people on the streets and jacking into their phones to “search for terrorist videos”. I managed to avoid it a couple times, but got an insistent cop yesterday. I have no idea what is technically happening during these searches, or even really what is technically possible.

On the one hand, I’m not up to anything, and I’ve always understood I was relinquishing some things in terms of privacy and -you know, protection under the law- just by being here. So whatever. On the other hand, I’m still seriously grossed-out, and I figure I might as well at least factory-reset my phone in hopes of clearing any malicious software that might have been put on there (as though wechat wasn’t compromised enough to begin with.)

Anyway, it’s been really cool over the last few years to see things get materially better here. It’s a shame it’s come along with all the dystopian police-state garbage.

Sorry to interrupt donut chat, everybody. :(

I read about the police-stateness and it is interesting that a lone goon is over there. I guess there are just CCTV everywhere and a zillion police stations because "Muslims"? And no one wants to say it's stupid because you go to a black site prison? But this is only in this Western region I take it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
I got here in 2013, and things have changed a lot in the capital. I’ve seen a lot of improvement in infrastructure and amenities, and there’s been a big push lately to update the “look” of the city so that everything isn’t just a featureless gray block. I’ve heard that they’re doing tests on the first stretch of the city’s new subway line. I’ve been hearing for awhile that we should expect it to open in 2018, but who knows. I’d love to be able to see it before I finally leave.

That said, from sometime in 2014 there’s been a pretty consistent ratcheting-up of security. Night markets disappeared or were relocated to the inside of the gated apartment complexes. APC’s became more prevalent around the city. Sometime in late 2015, I guess, they started playing these two songs constantly in public spaces. One is about crossing the street safely, the other is about the ideal Chinese society (I guess?). Both are cloying and miserable to listen to. Children and adults alike ask me about gun culture in America, but I live near a primary school that has armed police stationed outside as school lets out in the evening. The police stations went up everywhere last year, and were preceded by airport-style security checkpoints at public parks, supermarkets, and shopping centers. The last 8 months or so have seen the rise of face-scanning and ID card-swiping to enter certain places, and we had a couple of weeks in there where a pat-down was to be expected going to the shopping mall or the cinema. Finally, sometime in the last year, they installed rfid locks on all the apartment complexes in the city, and wrapped up all the complexes and gas stations in razor wire, too.

I’ve been stopped and questioned by police a half a dozen times or so. It seems to coincide with the length of my (neck)beard. Most police and security people I run into are either friendly/easy-going or otherwise entirely unremarkable. Despite the fact that I’m disgusted by the whole apparatus, no one has ever given me a hard time. Even on this occasion, I got the sense that this was more about fulfilling a quota than about a guy waving his dick around. On one occasion, I was stopped by an (armed) officer who began the conversation by asking for my passport, and ended by telling me he really liked English and hoped we could meet and talk English sometime.

In conclusion, 70% good, 30% bad. Long live Xinjiang bbq.