Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I haven't listened yet, but the Wheeler Walker Jr. character never works for me in interviews. On his albums, it's a loving genius parody. But in past interviews, you can tell Ben Hoffman has trouble deciding how ignorant Wheeler is vs the parts of him that are more progressive a la "Which One O' You Queers Is Gonna Suck My Dick"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Wait why does anyone think this is a character? What is the character? I felt like it was just him. There’s nothing remarkable about him that would make me think he’s putting on a character or even a persona, really. Just seemed like a jerk off who decided swearing would set him apart in country music. Is that the character? A country guy who thinks he’s doing something unique by swearing? Kinda a 1 note character.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Because it's a character played by Ben Hoffman. Ben Hoffman is a Jewish comedian and not a lude Southern country singer.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

GoldfishStew posted:

Wait why does anyone think this is a character? What is the character?
It's basically if Ween's 12 Golden Country Greats was a person, but not as good.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Well he stinks and I’m not sure what about him makes him a comedian. “I write dirty comedic songs but then I act like they aren’t and I’m resentful when I’m on comedy charts but actually not really.” I dunno, there just wasnt enough of a wink for me to think it was a character. If it is, fine, but its a lovely character.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Yo so yeah the pilot, at least, is called Playing Games with Jimmy Pardo. It's a call-in quiz show where three callers battle to go up against a celebrity guest (mine was rich sommer) and it was really great! The guests and the conversations give Jimmy a ton of material, and the fact they run it from a lovely webex adds a layer of confusion (am I muted right now? Should I respond? Am I on a delay?) that adds this degree of chaos in which i think Jimmy's sense of humor flourishes

I came in second ultimately by the way

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Well, the boys done did it again:

https://www.avclub.com/r-i-p-ralphie-may-1819230810

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Was he funny, out of interest? Netflix seems to think I'd love him, but my only knowledge of Ralphie May is that he lost his loving mind over Chelsea Peretti having the gall to name her special "One Of The Greats" and it led me to believe he didn't 'get' jokes.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

To me, he was one of those comics who was inherently funny even if his material wasn't all that funny.

re: Chelsea Peretti... it seems that he was going through some kind of mental breakdown at the time. His wife and kids left him and apparently he wasn't taking his meds. Or maybe he was just an rear end in a top hat. Maybe a bit of both. Comics paying their respects on twitter overwhelmingly say he was a nice guy. Who knows? R.I.P.

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 7, 2017

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Not Operator posted:

Was he funny, out of interest? Netflix seems to think I'd love him, but my only knowledge of Ralphie May is that he lost his loving mind over Chelsea Peretti having the gall to name her special "One Of The Greats" and it led me to believe he didn't 'get' jokes.

If I remember right, he was going through a divorce at the time and she was probably just an arbitrary target for his general frustrations. Passable comedian I guess, he had some good jokes but never really stood out to me.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Thats fair enough, I guess. It kinda soured me on him before I even knew of him, but I guess I should give him a chance.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
its so weird for me to listen to a 50 year old man excitedly talk about paying $100 for a ticket to a Kesha concert and then earnestly discuss whether the cartoon character that will portray Aaron Burr should be selected based on their personality or their rivalry with Bugs Bunny since he will be Alexander Hamilton. And he's not doing a bit these are his real feelings while sober

Was he always like this but it was less obvious? I seriously dont remember stuff like this in the 2012-2013 shows

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

LentThem posted:

its so weird for me to listen to a 50 year old man excitedly talk about paying $100 for a ticket to a Kesha concert and then earnestly discuss whether the cartoon character that will portray Aaron Burr should be selected based on their personality or their rivalry with Bugs Bunny since he will be Alexander Hamilton. And he's not doing a bit these are his real feelings while sober

Was he always like this but it was less obvious? I seriously dont remember stuff like this in the 2012-2013 shows

It's 4 white guys desperately trying to stay relevant (although I guess its mostly Jimmy & Matt). I don't think they were like this in the first 1-5 seasons. I think that they just ran out of stories, and their kids grew up and they don't want to just admit they are boring old men now.

They have also fallen into a structure for most the show now, that I find kind of boring (at least for most of the guests). They don't really get to the guest until 1/2 an hour is left. Most of the show is now filled with whatever pre-guest bits they have, then Garon and Elliot.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Boredumb posted:

They have also fallen into a structure for most the show now, that I find kind of boring (at least for most of the guests). They don't really get to the guest until 1/2 an hour is left. Most of the show is now filled with whatever pre-guest bits they have, then Garon and Elliot.

Oh right, in one of the recent episodes I think it was Matt that made a comment like "We've been creeping towards being a morning zoo show over the past 11 years". Matt I hate to break it to you, but....

nah
Mar 16, 2009

The cast went to poo poo once they decided to do a show before the guest arrived

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Do you guys not like the Gang shows either?

nah
Mar 16, 2009

At least half of “The Gang” is unfunny and uninteresting so no

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Huh interesting. I like them all

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery
The Gang episodes can be good or bad, though I hope they don't go back to ending them with 45 minutes of alternating between "fighting with Google Voice" and "Jimmy giggles about how amused he is by hanging up on people".

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
Sounds like Riptor's the only fan left!

I'm in Season 17 still catching up since I started from the beginning six years ago. It's around October 2015, no Hamilton talk at all yet but I heard Ep. 1720 with Anthony Rapp has some Hamilton so I'm coming up to it soon. Just finished 17H with Russ McGarry, which was a fantastic episode.

Anyway, cautiously optimistic. I tried going back to the very, very first episodes again with Matt putting on his wiseguy radio voice and Jimmy laughing and clapping every time Schmidt opens his mouth, the current episodes couldn't possibly be as bad as that. Right? ...Guys?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

They're not

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Riptor posted:

Do you guys not like the Gang shows either?

I don't mind most of them but I liked them more when Pat was on.

HateTheInternet posted:

Sounds like Riptor's the only fan left!

I'm in Season 17 still catching up since I started from the beginning six years ago. It's around October 2015, no Hamilton talk at all yet but I heard Ep. 1720 with Anthony Rapp has some Hamilton so I'm coming up to it soon. Just finished 17H with Russ McGarry, which was a fantastic episode.

Anyway, cautiously optimistic. I tried going back to the very, very first episodes again with Matt putting on his wiseguy radio voice and Jimmy laughing and clapping every time Schmidt opens his mouth, the current episodes couldn't possibly be as bad as that. Right? ...Guys?

Anthony Rapp is solely to blame for introducing them to Hamilton.

ukonvasara posted:

The Gang episodes can be good or bad, though I hope they don't go back to ending them with 45 minutes of alternating between "fighting with Google Voice" and "Jimmy giggles about how amused he is by hanging up on people".

In one of the recent episodes they got mad at Garon for asking for help on twitter on using a phone system and podcasts. They were shocked that he wouldn't turn to Matt for advice. I thought it was a bit but they were serious.

Boredumb fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 18, 2017

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
In case you didn't search for it already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X-L8z52v4M

It's pretty tense, actually. You can see the point at 3:27 where Leno mouths "get the pies."

cams
Mar 28, 2003

this show is so good when they have a pro on who can talk forever

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

cams posted:

this show is so good when they have a pro on who can talk forever

It’s amazing the difference in quality of the show. Marc Summers was funny and told great short stories, I wished there was another hour of him.

I laugh that Jimmy was so mad at him for being early. Wouldn’t want to miss out on the Elliot got ready chunk or Matt watched baseball bit.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Who has to clean up all those names Summers dropped?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

Seriously

I liked summers way more than I expected but hoo boy he can shove his Leno opinions up his rear end

who's your crawdaddy
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Jimmy: "Movie pass! $10 a month and you can see a movie every day!"
Paul F Tompkins: "Hmm. I won't be doing that."

My thoughts exactly PFT.

Also I thought of a new drinking game for the show. Every time Elliot gets butthurt about the Vanilla Ice thing shoot yourself in the head! Why won't they stop bringing it up!?!?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

I think maybe the bloom is off the rose for you guys and you should find another show

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

FitFortDanga posted:

He was getting manic at some parts but it was interesting to hear the 70s stories.

who's your crawdaddy
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Riptor posted:

I think maybe the bloom is off the rose for you guys and you should find another show

I like 90% of the show, I guess it's just the 10% I don't enjoy has become really grating. I used to like that they could find funny in Elliot's interruptions. Now it just seems to completely halt whatever fun/rhythm they're on. He's been completely not funny for like 8 years now.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
It is amazing how consistently blah he is

cams
Mar 28, 2003

today's episode was recorded on monday before the news came out and features a shoutout to matt lauer where they call him a shithead.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Stumbling into How To Basic was pretty funny

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Riptor posted:

who's your crawdaddy posted:

I like 90% of the show, I guess it's just the 10% I don't enjoy has become really grating. I used to like that they could find funny in Elliot's interruptions. Now it just seems to completely halt whatever fun/rhythm they're on. He's been completely not funny for like 8 years now.

I think I'm down to about 80%. Elliot's presence can be fun when he says something typically Elliot and everyone gets to poo poo on him. When they let him get away with it (or god help us, praise him) it's terrible. I wonder what the numbers are for the video watchers... I can't imagine that many people bother to look at their phones (or computer screens) for ~4 hours every week watching some guys talk around a table. If it were up to me, I'd can the video and let Elliot go, but it's not up to me and of course some subscribers would be very upset.

IMHO the bigger problem is Matt Belknap being all cocky and combative about everything and not knowing when to let something go and move on. I don't know what happened to him, but as I said before, he's weirdly stubborn now. I don't want to get rid of him because he still brings an awful lot to the table, I think. But more and more I'm getting annoyed by him.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

I will admit that the Hamilton talk drives me up the loving wall and is 100% of the time Matt's fault nowadays

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

On the bright side, the only thing I dislike about Playing Games is the theme song. Everybody listen to Playing Games.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

I'm the guy who hosed up playing against rich sommer

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
The new episode with Romesh Ranganathan was the best one in months. He got the vibe early on, was really funny, and they didn't get into any Hamilton or bad music talk. You should check out his standup on YouTube and his interviews with other comedians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEw4kxAFchQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Ranganathan is fantastic and I wouldn't have expected him on NNF. He doesn't have much presence outside England at all from what I've seen.