Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

jivjov posted:

Eleventh Doctor stories on audio just wont be the same...Matt Smith did so much of his acting with his body

As long as the performance is better than in those adventure games from a few years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Ribos Operation is so much better than I remember it being. Just the idea of the Doctor watching a con man and trying to figure out if he's JUST a con man or some kind of counter-agent to his mission is a fun idea.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bicyclops posted:

The Ribos Operation is so much better than I remember it being. Just the idea of the Doctor watching a con man and trying to figure out if he's JUST a con man or some kind of counter-agent to his mission is a fun idea.

It's one of my favourite stories overall, with some crackling dialog and great costumes.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I've lost count of the number of times I've seen "Ribos" and I never get tired of it. It's amazing how much substance there is for tons of dialogue and just a couple sets. And the Binro the Heretic scenes should be taught in screenwriting classes for how to shift mood without tonal whiplash.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Just my tuppence worth on the Eighth Doctor: Time War.

Overall, lots of neat concepts that don't really link together as a whole. There's some cool "this is how alien the Time War is" scenes, but the actual thrust of the story isn't revealed til the very end, and I was left thinking "Oh....is that it?"

McGann is great, as always, Rakhee Thakrar as new companion Bliss doesn't do a lot honestly, but seems fine - they're aiming to expand her more in further stories - Jacqueline Pearce as Ollistra is a great anti-villain, and it's nice they keep bringing her back, and I want more. :3:

I'll stick some :siren:spoilers:siren: stuff behind this SSLP test link.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 28, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I’ve binged through season 1 of The Good Place this weekend, and I want Ted Danson to be the US AU 12th Doctor. He’s so fascinating to watch; he’s got the friendliness and flappy hands talking of 11, with the occasional angry bursts of 12.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I feel like "Ted Danson is actually a very good actor" is one of those things we kinda took for granted- he played one role so well for so long that we didn't really think about it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Maxwell Lord posted:

I feel like "Ted Danson is actually a very good actor" is one of those things we kinda took for granted- he played one role so well for so long that we didn't really think about it.

Oh yeah, I have real trouble parsing Ted Danson as the guy from Cheers.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I mean, he's extremely good in Cheers, too. The material just isn't as good to work with as The Good Place all the time. The fact that Sam Mallone is a character you can have sympathy with is definitely because of his performance. Don't look him up, though, because there's that One Incident. He's possibly in the top 10 sitcom actors of all time, but oh boy did he make a terrible choice at that roast.

In other news, Romana definitely waves the Key to Time finder wand over the statue's crotch first for a pretty long time in The Androids of Tara, and it's pretty funny.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve binged through season 1 of The Good Place this weekend, and I want Ted Danson to be the US AU 12th Doctor. He’s so fascinating to watch; he’s got the friendliness and flappy hands talking of 11, with the occasional angry bursts of 12.

He's got a fantastic laugh too.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Series 4 of The Diary of River Song will appropriately have River teaming up with the 4th Doctor.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Bicyclops posted:

Don't look him up, though, because there's that One Incident. He's possibly in the top 10 sitcom actors of all time, but oh boy did he make a terrible choice at that roast.

I'll take "things that would've broken social media" for $400 Alex.

And Danson is definitely a top ten sitcom actor.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Pesky Splinter posted:

Just my tuppence worth on the Eighth Doctor: Time War.

Overall, lots of neat concepts that don't really link together as a whole. There's some cool "this is how alien the Time War is" scenes, but the actual thrust of the story isn't revealed til the very end, and I was left thinking "Oh....is that it?"

McGann is great, as always, Rakhee Thakrar as new companion Bliss doesn't do a lot honestly, but seems fine - they're aiming to expand her more in further stories - Jacqueline Pearce as Ollistra is a great anti-villain, and it's nice they keep bringing her back, and I want more. :3:

I'll stick some :siren:spoilers:siren: stuff behind this SSLP test link.

I agree with your thoughts on the box set. Some additional comments:

Ship of Theseus was fantastic - I really enjoyed the gradual transition from normal Doctor adventure to whatthefuckisgoingon and gives a good view of the Time War. As you said, the troll bit was not interesting. It could have been, but it felt pretty lazy to me. I enjoy it when stories take a normal concept and turn it into something significant - which is what could have been done here with the 'troll under the bridge' idea, but it was never delved into and obviously existed as a minor point of the story, and to allow it to wrap up.

Each of these stories, I enjoyed immediately after listening - but the flaws become pretty apparent when reviewing them after some time to think on them. They did do a much better job of bringing in the "weirdness" of the Time War in this set than in the War Doctor, and I hope that they continue to explore the complexities and just wrongness that would be part a time war.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

jivjov posted:

Series 4 of The Diary of River Song will appropriately have River teaming up with the 4th Doctor.

I...what's that feeling when you always wanted something, but you never knew you wanted it?

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Glad it's on audio because the look on Tom's face alone would make it unfit for television

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Glad it's on audio because the look on Tom's face alone would make it unfit for television

Like this, probably.

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/924946060438622208

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The War Doctor set is going to feature Romana, Leela, and Ace!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Which of the Doctors do you think River would like the best

I'd imagine it'd have to be 10 and 11 since they're the ones who would actually know her and are far more flirty, 11 especially

4 I can't imagine caring one way or the other about her with how alien he indulges in. 5 would be like a kid she'd pick on for being too sweet.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Burkion posted:

I'd imagine it'd have to be 10 and 11 since they're the ones who would actually know her and are far more flirty, 11 especially

4 I can't imagine caring one way or the other about her with how alien he indulges in. 5 would be like a kid she'd pick on for being too sweet.

7 would INFURIATE her.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The_Doctor posted:

But not John Hurt :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh god, with David Bradley, she could meet the First Doctor. :allears:

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Burkion posted:

This one:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Fil5000 posted:

7 would INFURIATE her.

She already met Seven.

Six fell in love with her.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

You've read that wrong. It's GALLIFREY: TIME WAR.

But with more War Master!

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
I personally can't wait til she meets 13. :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Davros1 posted:

You've read that wrong. It's GALLIFREY: TIME WAR.

But with more War Master!

Oh huh they’ve changed it. It was previously announced as just The War Doctor, right?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Oh huh they’ve changed it. It was previously announced as just The War Doctor, right?

No, War's getting his own box, in Dec. Gallifrey is in Feb

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Trying to pick up where I left off on the Big Finish Monthly Range from earlier this year and I'd like some recommendations. I'm probably going to buy one from each doctor. The last story I listened to was Chimes of Midnight.

Spare Parts is an obvious choice for 5. Not sure if any of the 8 stories immediately following Chimes are any good. I've heard ...Ish is all right, and it seems interesting. Jubilee seems like a good choice for a 6 story. Haven't heard anything (good) about the 7 stories from this time.

If none of the 8 stories between Chimes and Scherzo are worth hearing I may just skip ahead to that.

So uh, what's a good 7 story in the first 100 but after Colditz?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

...ish is good. Ish.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

apophenium posted:

Trying to pick up where I left off on the Big Finish Monthly Range from earlier this year and I'd like some recommendations. I'm probably going to buy one from each doctor. The last story I listened to was Chimes of Midnight.

Spare Parts is an obvious choice for 5. Not sure if any of the 8 stories immediately following Chimes are any good. I've heard ...Ish is all right, and it seems interesting. Jubilee seems like a good choice for a 6 story. Haven't heard anything (good) about the 7 stories from this time.

If none of the 8 stories between Chimes and Scherzo are worth hearing I may just skip ahead to that.

Seasons of Fear is a good 8 story. Neverland is phenomenal.

For 7, I liked Bang-Bang-A-Boom, but many didn't enjoy the comedy. Also liked The Dark Flame, The Harvest, Night Thoughts, LIVE 34, No Man's Land, and Frozen Time

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Burkion posted:

I love the way she (and they) reacts to meeting 6 and 7. She and 6 are all :swoon: at each other, while 7 utterly infuriates her in the best way possible.

God I love Tom Baker.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

apophenium posted:

5 - Spare Parts, The Church and the Crown, Singularity, The Kingmaker*
6 - Jubilee, The One Doctor, Davros*, Arrangements for War / Thicker Than Water, Year of the Pig
7 - The Harvest, Night Thoughts*, Red
8 - The Chimes of Midnight, Seasons of Fear, Neverland, Scherzo, Faith Stealer, Time Works*, Memory Lane, The Girl Who Never Was

* means a personal favorite. Man, I need to get back into the main range. Assassin in the Limelight was the last one I heard and I think that was two years ago. I blame Big Finish.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

gently caress, Year of the Pig is so goddamn great. I love that story a whole hell of a lot.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

CobiWann posted:

Man, I need to get back into the main range. Assassin in the Limelight was the last one I heard and I think that was two years ago. I blame Big Finish.

Good choices :D

There's been some really good main range ones since then; personal favourites include the Klein arc stories, and the Locum Doctors they did for Big Finish's 198, 199, and 200th main range releases, respectively.

Of course, there's still the usual gamut of good but not great, average, kinda dull, and "Holy gently caress loving end" (Thomas Brewster arc). Thankfully nothing that ever plunges to the depths of Nekromantia.

And then the stuff they use as an excuse for a spin off; Key2Time for Graceless, unnamed trilogy ending in The Shadow Heart for Vienna and 1963: The Assassination Games for Counter-Measures (yeah I know it was originally in Remembrance).

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 1, 2017

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
I haven't seen many of the newer Capaldi episodes, but caught a couple today. Had hoped that a hiatus would help, but he's just so sullen. I think starting with Tennant and becoming enthralled with Smith has also prejudiced me towards younger actors in the role.
Looking forward to new direction. Moffatt had some great - like really fantastic - episodes, but the show has to evolve

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Flambeau posted:

I haven't seen many of the newer Capaldi episodes, but caught a couple today. Had hoped that a hiatus would help, but he's just so sullen. I think starting with Tennant and becoming enthralled with Smith has also prejudiced me towards younger actors in the role.
Looking forward to new direction. Moffatt had some great - like really fantastic - episodes, but the show has to evolve

The Capaldi era has some of the best stories ever, however you feel about him as the doctor. if you don't adore capaldi you're objectively wrong. Heaven Sent is so good that it's worth working through that whole series just to get the context for it. The most recent two-parter involves one of the coolest hard(ish) SF premises ever.

Besides, he's not always sullen - if you have an electric guitar it's called angst.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Moffat! :argh:

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/925638303960924160

Jenny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0wpvRCdir0

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Nov 1, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CommonShore posted:

The most recent two-parter involves one of the coolest hard(ish) SF premises ever.

It's literally a Red Dwarf episode that they decided to play seriously, and it works so well it's amazing.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

On one hand, it amazes me just how hard Big Finish is leaning into the expanded universe.

On the other hand, people MUST be buying this stuff if they keep releasing it!

On the third hand, those must be some drat amazing lunches Big Finish provides for their actors and actresses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

On the third hand, those must be some drat amazing lunches Big Finish provides for their actors and actresses.

They look alright, I guess?

https://twitter.com/samanthabeart/status/600665177126793217

• Locked thread