Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

snoremac posted:

What determines whether they get "honourable" in their title?

Per wikipedia:

quote:

In Australia, the style is generally used for an administrator of a territory, government ministers, members of most state legislative councils (upper houses), and judges of superior courts.

Technically the High Court is acting in its capacity as the ultimate electoral umpire, a Court of Disputed Returns, under the Electoral Act so that's where it applies also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Pistol and Boo is trending on twitter lol.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The important parts on Canavan

Senator Canavan has not applied for a declaration of Italian citizenship. On the evidence before the Court, one cannot be satisfied that Senator Canavan was a citizen of Italy. The concluding section of the joint report suggests that he was not. Given the potential for Italian citizenship by descent to extend indefinitely – generation after generation – into the public life of an adopted home, one can readily accept that the reasonable view of Italian law is that it requires the taking of the positive steps referred to in the joint report as conditions precedent to citizenship.

87 For these reasons, the first question, namely, whether, by reason of s 44(i) of the Constitution, there is a vacancy in the representation of Queensland in the Senate for the place for which Senator Canavan was returned, is answered "no".

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Ora Tzo posted:

Plibersek's saying that they'll probably challenge in court some of the decisions Barnaby has made since the discovery of his ineligibility.

As they should, that the let them continue to vote in the parliament while the case was ongoing is by itself a completely dumb headed view.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
Relocating that department to Buttfuck, Nowhere will be at the top of the decision challenge list, I suspect.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
An important note in Joyce's part of the decision

"He also notes that New Zealand citizens living outside New Zealand are amenable to certain of the offences for which the Crimes Act 1961 (NZ) provides."

This is really important reason for not allowing dual citizens, Barnaby was subject to the laws of another country as well and could be prosecuted.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mattjpwns posted:

Relocating that department to Buttfuck, Nowhere will be at the top of the decision challenge list, I suspect.

The Banking Royal Commission was the example Tanya used

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

If the government whines about this even in the slightest I hope Labor throw the entirety of Gillard's term at them.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Malcolm Roberts will stand for Ipswich in the Qld election, and says he'll be on a "fair and balanced" network to discuss today's decision :toot:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anything happen at one nations whinge fest jamboree?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/923763314039054336

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Even if Barnyard wins the by-election and it goes back to business as usual, hopefully this and the ensuing legal shitfights on multiple fronts ties up enough LNP resources that their ability to gently caress this country even harder is severely diminished

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Ipswich, the toilet of Queensland.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Queensland keeps on Queenslanding

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Mattjpwns posted:

I think that was before his eligibility was questioned and therefore would not be reviewable.
Think of it as if there was an appeal for LBW and while the 3rd umpire checked the game continued and the batsman hit some runs.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

ewe2 posted:

Malcolm Roberts will stand for Ipswich in the Qld election, and says he'll be on a "fair and balanced" network to discuss today's decision :toot:

Paul Murray masturbates slowly, as the cum dries in the folds of his gut as he waits for Malcolm to arrive.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Lid posted:

This is really important reason for not allowing dual citizens, Barnaby was subject to the laws of another country as well and could be prosecuted.

Please stop, I can only get so erect.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

You Am I posted:

Queensland keeps on Queenslanding

They haven't voted him in!

yet

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

tithin posted:

Anything happen at one nations whinge fest jamboree?

Much whinging and festivities. Guardian live blog is following it.

quote:

Hanson begins to get angry at suggestions her party processes were not in order, given she has now lost two senators (including Rod Culleton)

“It is devastating what is happened, but I am not the only person here facing this, the other parties are, and One Nation hasn’t been around as long as the others, you think they would have got it right and they haven’t.”

She is asked about plans the party had to try and make Fraser Anning step aside to make room for Roberts to return (the Roberts replaces Roberts plan) which Hanson originally denies. Journalist Adam Gartrell tells her he has documentation and she says she hasn’t seen it, and Malcolm Roberts cuts in to say that he will have more to say about that later.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Windsor is live at 3:30

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/samanthamaiden/status/923725847139311616

https://twitter.com/samanthamaiden/status/923726519054213120

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Lid posted:

Ipswich, the toilet garbage dump of Queensland New South Wales.
ftfy

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
lol at everything

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

https://twitter.com/samanthamaiden/status/915323451967135744

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Hehe a bit of snark from the HC reasoning:

quote:

Secondly, the approach urged by Mr Joyce MP and Senator Nash was that
s 44(i) requires that foreign citizenship be chosen or maintained. The essence of
this approach was knowledge of the foreign citizenship. It was submitted that a
person cannot make a choice to retain or renounce any foreign citizenship if he or
she has no knowledge of that citizenship. Although the degree of knowledge that
was said to apply in this context did not include constructive knowledge, it did
include wilful blindness.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Ipswich.....

You know who else ran for Ipswich in a state election and lost their senate seat due to dual citizenship?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

recycling dump get it right

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

He looks like a FriendlyJeordies character in that photo

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I think I'm really getting sick of Xenophon's poo poo. How are politics in SA broken? It's the Fed treating SA like poo poo that's the problem.

quote:

Nick Xenophon, who plans on resigning his senate seat, says he feels sympathy for his colleagues who have been ruled ineligible:

"Whatever political differences I have with some of them, there is no question of their love for and loyalty to Australia. They have been caught by this section of theConstitution and, obviously, there will be plenty to reflect on that in the future. The irony of the decision is not lost on me as it has always been my plan to leave theFederal Parliament, to resign from the Senate, which I will now be doing in the very near future,within a week or so, in order to contest the South Australian seat of Hartley in State Parliament because politics in South Australia is broken and I want to do all I can to fix the broken state of politics in South Australia. I will be around for a few more days, not in Canberra, there will be committee work to do in relation to the Murray Darling basin next week in New SouthW ales and Adelaide and that is a critically important issue for South Australia and the nation."

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/923764949007998977

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I think I'm really getting sick of Xenophon's poo poo. How are politics in SA broken? It's the Fed treating SA like poo poo that's the problem.
It's more Nick knows that after next Fed election his party won't have the big hold over Senate votes that it does now, so it's best to move back to SA politics where he can capitalise on NXT's vote base and try gain a large cross bench in the SA Upper House.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

CrazyTolradi posted:

It's more Nick knows that after next Fed election his party won't have the big hold over Senate votes that it does now, so it's best to move back to SA politics where he can capitalise on NXT's vote base and try gain a large cross bench in the SA Upper House.

God, I can only imagine the damage that would cause. Luckily state Liberals are completely hopeless so I think Labor would retain their current majority.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Laura Tingle wrote a bit on the ROC/AFP raid shambles:

quote:

The Turnbull government wanted to set up the Registered Organisations Commission, Employment Minister Michaelia Cash told the Senate last November, to ensure "for the two million Australians who are members of registered organisations that their organisations remain strong".

Thank God for the government really. For some people had, of course, suggested that in setting up this new organisation, what the Coalition was really doing was nothing more than setting up a body to persecute trade unions.

But no, nothing of the sort, according to Cash.

Registered organisations – that is, trade unions though ostensibly also employer organisations – would only remain strong for their members, she said, "if confidence is restored to those members and to the Australian people".

"Despite what has been said by those on the other side, this is not about union busting," Cash said as she summed up the Senate second reading debate on the legislation.

"What it is about, though, is increasing transparency and accountability and stopping those unscrupulous individuals who would use members' hard-earned funds for their own self-interest."

What worthy goals. The government quivers with righteousness and points to the revolting and notorious activities of the Health Services Union to justify its case for the body. It argued all it was doing was establishing the same sort of oversight for unions as exist via ASIC for large corporations

Double dissolution 'trigger'

Except it remains unclear to this day just how much difference the "ROC" would really have made in the HSU case.

And until it became notorious this week, you may not have realised that the legislation to establish the commission was one of the double dissolution "triggers" that spurred last year's federal election, along with legislation to establish the Australian Building and Construction Commission. And it was a double dissolution trigger because the government had such trouble persuading not just Labor but most of the cross bench about the value of the ROC.

It eventually got the legislation through last year and the ROC came into being in May.

The bill allows the minister to give written directions to the commissioner but the directions must be of a general nature only. Directions about particular matters or investigations are not permitted.

However, the minister is able to give written directions to the commissioner to provide specific reports relating to the commissioner's functions.

This structure is supposed to reassure us that the ROC cannot simply be used to pursue political vendettas of the government of the day.

Which is why events this week have been such a complete political disaster for Malcolm Turnbull, Cash and the government.

The superficial embarrassment might be about the government getting sprung tipping off the media that the ROC, facilitated by the Australian Federal Police, were going to raid the offices of Bill Shorten's old union, to investigate donations made 10 years ago during his time as national secretary.

Contentious, old case

The short-term pain might be in all the maelstrom about whether Cash had misled the Senate when she denied, five times, that she and her office had been involved in the tip-off before having to humiliatingly return to correct the record.

But more significantly, in one fell swoop, the ROC appears to have confirmed it is exactly what its critics have always charged it was – yet another body which reflects the Coalition's willingness to use the powers of government to stomp on those who disagree with it by choosing such a contentious, old case directly linked to the Leader of the Opposition.

It's the sort of boofheaded thuggery that you would normally associate with Tony Abbott, just at the moment in time when Malcolm Turnbull appeared to be finally breaking out of the last remnants of his predecessor's idiotic, ideological agenda by successfully getting an energy and climate policy through his party room, and with an end to the same-sex marriage debate in sight.

The question is whether the government as a whole had really meant events to unfold as they did this week.

The ROC was looking at the AWU because of a reference from Cash. It has emerged that it was Cash's staffer who tipped off the media that the raid was taking place.

Yet the government needed the wave of publicity and its incompetence and heavy handedness like a hole in the head. It blew the discussion about energy out the window, along with Scott Morrison's repositioning of the economic debate in Labor's territory.

It called to mind the public relations disaster of the 2012 incident in which the then prime minister Julia Gillard, and then opposition leader Tony Abbott, had been forced to be dragged out of the Lobby Restaurant in Canberra for their own protection after it had been assailed by angry Indigenous protesters who had been tipped off by a Labor staffer hoping to embarrass Abbott over comments he had made about the Aboriginal Tent Embassy.

This week the Prime Minister couldn't even muster the indignation that had accompanied the government's previous misuse of the Australian Federal Police – during the election campaign – to raid Labor homes and offices over leaks about the NBN, or the "Mediscare" controversy.

Shopping sources

It was telling that when he was forced to go on the counter-attack to defend the government's actions that the Prime Minister linked Shorten to the CFMEU, not the AWU which is the source of the ROC's actions.

The only more dubious levels of indignation doing the rounds were in the corridors of the Canberra Press Gallery, where quite a lot of journalists have apparently rewritten the ethics code to say it is OK to shop your source once matters enter the realm of the "public interest".

And it wasn't just confined to the Gallery either, with other reporters around the country hopping on to Twitter to enthusiastically out their sources as liars.

There also seems to be quite a lot of the all too cute play of one journalist telling another journalist what a third journalist had been told, and arguing that this somehow did not involve breaching confidences or ethics.

So the week ended with journalists indignantly defending second or third-hand sources of information while insisting that a minister was damaged by the actions taken by a staffer who she has said did not tell her what he was doing. All in the interests of reporting on a body that is supposed to be about "increasing transparency and accountability".

Political journalism can be as compromising a job as politics itself. But like a political party which misuses state power against its political opponents, its practitioners only look worse for suggesting the unethical is being pursued for higher purposes.

Laura Tingle is The Australian Financial Review's political editor

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

If I need cheering up this afternoon I'll just think that the Leader and Deputy Leader of the Nationals, the second-most xenophobic party in Australia were both dirty furrreners taken our jerbs

The only thing better would be if Hanson turned out to be part Vietnamese

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Sportsbet thought that Nick Xenophon had already vacated his position and have paid that bet out. Whoops...

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

The only thing better would be if Hanson turned out to be part Vietnamese

Pulls off her orange wig to reveal she's been wearing the Hijab this whole time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
:siren: WINDSOR IS NOT RUNNING :siren:

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Doctor Spaceman posted:

:siren: WINDSOR IS NOT RUNNING :siren:

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

That's it then, Barnaby gets back and it's all very tidy. What a relief for his nearest and dearest in Canberra :v:

• Locked thread