Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'd buy and install it, but I just remembered that there's a censored version being distributed in Germany.

Now, my Steam account is still 100% linked to the US, including payment credit card, so I'm being offered the regular version, but I'm kinda concerned with having my game rolled-back or mandatory-patched or something in the future.

Honestly don't even give too much of a gently caress about it being illegal to partake in the distribution of a game where you can punch virtual nazis.

Steam only gives a gently caress if you're messing with how much they get paid by changing your region. Other than that they don't get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Well that sure was an opening sequence.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'd buy and install it, but I just remembered that there's a censored version being distributed in Germany.

Now, my Steam account is still 100% linked to the US, including payment credit card, so I'm being offered the regular version, but I'm kinda concerned with having my game rolled-back or mandatory-patched or something in the future.

Honestly don't even give too much of a gently caress about it being illegal to partake in the distribution of a game where you can punch virtual nazis.

Do it you know you want to punch Nazis, its pretty cathartic to set Nazis on fire with flamethrowers.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Well that sure was an opening sequence.

Yep.

Also my only gripe is borderless fullscreen isn't full, I can see part of my desktop below the game window. Which is... all kinds of loving weird honestly.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
One thing I noticed is it really doesn't give you good feedback on if you're about to die. Feel like I'll doing fine and then all of a sudden loving dead.

This is on PC.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

You guys are punching Nazis and I am thowing my hat at goombas and bullet bills. New Mario game is the best one since Mario 64.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmP3UHXYi28

E: super mario 64 is old enough to buy a drink at a bar. gently caress.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

What exactly are Germany’s nazi laws?

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

orange juche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmP3UHXYi28

E: super mario 64 is old enough to buy a drink at a bar. gently caress.

Momma Mia!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

"Were these eyes ever filled with a lover's gaze? Kiss kiss kiss?" :stonk:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

MARIO TIME

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I LOVE COCK SALAD posted:

What exactly are Germany’s nazi laws?

Nazis are really bad and you aren't allowed to display any Nazi imagery because that might be taken as glorifying a bunch of really bad dudes.

Basically it would be like outlawing the South post civil war, which is essentially what Germany did. They didn't want anyone or anything left from Hitler's flirtation with ruling the world so they simply outlawed everything associated with the Third Reich.

The US should have outlawed the South post civil war, we wouldn't have klansmen and other racist fucksticks if we did.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 27, 2017

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

"You got so fat" :3:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

orange juche posted:

Nazis are really bad and you aren't allowed to display any Nazi imagery because that might be taken as glorifying a bunch of really bad dudes.

Basically it would be like outlawing the South post civil war, which is essentially what Germany did. They didn't want anyone or anything left from Hitler's flirtation with ruling the world so they simply outlawed everything associated with the Third Reich.

The US should have outlawed the South post civil war, we wouldn't have klansmen and other racist fucksticks if we did.

How do they possibly remember it in order to avoid doing it again????

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

How do they possibly remember it in order to avoid doing it again????

Not sure if serious. The difference is that WWII and the Holocaust is taught in school in Germany, and everything is prefaced with "The Nazis were really loving bad dudes and we must never do that again". They outlaw all public monuments to Nazis and any symbolism to prevent "Lost Cause" idiots from rallying around them.

It would be like ripping down all the Confederate monuments in the US and then requiring that all history books in school cover exactly how terrible the Confederacy was and all the terrible poo poo they enforced and did in excruciating detail, which is honestly not really covered in US history classes, ESPECIALLY in the South.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
It was just a tongue in cheek shot at people who think history dies with statues. Someone running for governor in VA is running on the platform of keeping the statues up because we can’t erase history and we need to learn it, so the topic has been on my radar for the last several weeks more so than before, aside from Charlottesville.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
They still allow nazis symbols in museums, documentaries and education. They're not trying to erase the third reich from memory, they just don't want swastikas in their video games.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

They still allow nazis symbols in museums, documentaries and education. They're not trying to erase the third reich from memory, they just don't want swastikas in their video games.

Which is coincidentally the only places the Confederate south should be remembered. Museums, documentaries, and education. Don't see any streets in Germany named after Goebbels or Himmler.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
God drat, Shadow of War has a lot of content. Almost too much content. I'm still barely scratching the surface (level 15 and can't even dominate yet, still in the second zone) but I straight up ignore the lore dump that the artifacts and stuff give.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Vasudus posted:

God drat, Shadow of War has a lot of content. Almost too much content. I'm still barely scratching the surface (level 15 and can't even dominate yet, still in the second zone) but I straight up ignore the lore dump that the artifacts and stuff give.

If you care about them, grab those artifacts before act IV. A Thing happens and afterwards there's no little chit chat about them.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

why are you nerds talking about symbols when we could be talking about how awesome it is that we have a game that is essentially 12 hours of kicking richard spencer in the dick

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Also I got a closed beta invite to Total War: Arena. Anybody know anything about it?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Isn't that their MOBA bullshit?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Just bought the ‘stein. Downloading now. Gonna walk Monty and then kill some Nazis for the rest of the night.

Legit haven’t been this hype for a game in a long time. I HATE paying $60 for a game but like I said I’ll donate to the marketing.

On a scale of “Trump is President” to “Picture of that Nazi getting knocked out at UF last week” how good it is?

For reference:

E: drat, AND Stranger Things s2 is out? Looks like I may not get much studying done for that exam I have Monday.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 27, 2017

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Remember that this is getting into AAA gaming prime time season. All your cool poo poo comes out starting mid/late october until mid/late december. Then it's a loving wasteland for Q1.

I'm gonna play Shadow of War probably for the rest of the month at least before I move on, if not longer. I'll punch Nazis soon.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Vasudus posted:

Remember that this is getting into AAA gaming prime time season. All your cool poo poo comes out starting mid/late october until mid/late december. Then it's a loving wasteland for Q1.

I'm gonna play Shadow of War probably for the rest of the month at least before I move on, if not longer. I'll punch Nazis soon.

Oh so we can expect the andromeda dlc and fix patch soon right

:shepicide:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Oh so we can expect the andromeda dlc and fix patch soon right

:shepicide:

I didn't make it through my second playthrough.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
As a "congratulations for having a computer again you idiot" gift, my buddy bought me Stellaris. Goodbye real world.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

I didn't make it through my second playthrough.

I barely made it through my first
There were some parts of the game that were legitimately good but it was just such a huge disappointment overall

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Vasudus posted:

My dude have you forgotten Far Cry 5 is a Q1 release? :getin:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I can’t wait to shoot bible thumping rednecks.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

I LOVE COCK SALAD posted:

I can’t wait to shoot bible thumping rednecks.

I'm legit excited about this one.

Last couple of Wolfenstein's have been meh I'll probably get it when it goes on a deep sale

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I just walked through the nuked remains on Manhattan to recruit alternate timeline Black Panthers. The atmosphere was way better than what I've seen in the Fallout series. The city is loving wrecked.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Somehow I’ve never played a wolfenstein game. Definitely buying this one though.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I think I just caught on to some major foreshadowing if you're observant between missions. So BJ is hurt really bad from the ending of the last game and...

1. He's actually dying, and needs the suit to have any functionality
2. After you take back the sub, Set introduces you to his pet cat which is a head he sewed onto a monkey body. He makes a really big deal about how he figured out how to transfer heads between bodies
3. Checked Set's lab again after the Manhattan mission and now there's a tank in there with a body about the size and shape of BJ's...but it's missing a head.

So that's cool. Explore the sub, there's a bunch of poo poo to see.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Syrian Lannister posted:

I'm legit excited about this one.

Last couple of Wolfenstein's have been meh I'll probably get it when it goes on a deep sale

You sure you been playing Wolfenstein? The New Order and The Old Blood were loving dope. You fight Nazis on the moon for Christ’s sake.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Waiting on that fuckin 3 hour download :rip:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

I just walked through the nuked remains on Manhattan to recruit alternate timeline Black Panthers. The atmosphere was way better than what I've seen in the Fallout series. The city is loving wrecked.

Right? Fallout is way too clean, especially 4, this is proper nuclear wasteland.

I HAVE GOOD AIDS posted:

You sure you been playing Wolfenstein? The New Order and The Old Blood were loving dope. You fight Nazis on the moon for Christ’s sake.

"They put a nazi on the moon... gently caress you, moon."

Bless you Terror-Billy

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Capn Beeb posted:

Right? Fallout is way too clean, especially 4, this is proper nuclear wasteland.

I had the opposite problem with the Bethesda Fallouts. They're set hundreds of years after atomic warfare. I'd expect the cities to be almost fully overgrown (given that the lore precludes rebuilding East coast American society). Instead, nobody's ever bothered looting most of the buildings, and skeletons are perfectly preserved for centuries, in the exact positions where people died. The few pockets of peaceful survivors basically live in a vacuum, surrounded on all sides by endless tides of super mutants and raiders.

New Vegas did it way better. Society moved on, people re-formed society and built their own new world in the shadow of the old one. Anyplace worth visiting has already been re-purposed by successive generations of survivors, and people collectively formed real societies to stave off raiders/mutants. Mechanically it's a much better game, but also conceptually.

Ugh, if I weren't engrossed in the new Wolfenstein, I'd roll up a new FO:NV character.

Capn Beeb posted:

"They put a nazi on the moon... gently caress you, moon."

Bless you Terror-Billy

I swore that I wouldn't let myself get sidetracked by the inevitable Wolf 3D level(s). Then I saw that it's an arcade game where you play a soldier of the Reich, fighting the relentless armies of Terror-Billy and suddenly it's midnight and I'm still in the resistance HQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

55 minutes until I’m killing nazis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOcimzsviFA