Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

onions, belts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The 60/60/24 time measurement thingy seems to have stuck pretty well despite the inherent weirdness. I think because it divides up into a useful array of fractions, and the human brain naturally thinks in fractions.

And well, 365 days is at least supposed to be more or less how long the Earth takes to go all the way around the sun, I'm pretty sure. Kinda impressive that people figured that out before they were even sure the Earth went around the sun and not vice versa, but the cycle of seasons and such also means something. Months are a total kludge, though, and the New Year is pretty arbitrary.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Inescapable Duck posted:

The 60/60/24 time measurement thingy seems to have stuck pretty well despite the inherent weirdness. I think because it divides up into a useful array of fractions, and the human brain naturally thinks in fractions.

Months are a total kludge, though

If we added a thirteenth month, and shortened each to be 28 days long, it would work out to be 364 days total. Slap the last 365th day onto the end of Smarch, and we'd have the perfect system.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
…not at the end of SApril?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

RFC2324 posted:

God didn't exist yet in ancient sumeria

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Also I think in the early Roman system like a quarter of the days of the year didn't count as days. I think the coldest two winter months weren't even months and then some kinda weird cycle like every 11 day or some fuckin poo poo

Aztecs for loving sure had evil unreal days

E: the most anti-metric timekeeping
"The calendar consisted of 10 months in a year of 304 days. The Romans seem to have ignored the remaining 61 days, which fell in the middle of winter. The 10 months were named Martius, Aprilis, Maius, Junius, Quintilis, Sextilis, September, October, November, and December."

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 27, 2017

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Lol, ok the Roman head priest got to decide how long the year was and apparently they regularly pulled stunts like make years 440 days long when they liked that particular consul (who could only rule for a year I guess)

They also had "9" day weeks that are straight out of that fuckin body builder's forum. Apparently this weird system of inclusive counting was to track poo poo like the ides and nones of the month so they could decide market and holy days or whatever. So like if I count from Monday to Monday in our week it's seven days, but they would consider it to be eight.

On top of this they had to constantly add in extra weeks and days to make sure the holy days matched their seasons. Fuckin nuts.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
My confession is that I'm starting to suspect that I, and all humans who have ever lived or will live, are in fact retarded

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Inescapable Duck posted:

the New Year is pretty arbitrary.

Yeah, I figure the year should either end with the winter solstice, or (my preference) start with the spring equinox.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ziv Zulander posted:

If we added a thirteenth month, and shortened each to be 28 days long, it would work out to be 364 days total. Slap the last 365th day onto the end of Smarch, and we'd have the perfect system.

The 13th month needs a way more ominous name than that. Maybe we can bring back Thermidor, give Robespierre's headless corpse something to appreciate.

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, I figure the year should either end with the winter solstice, or (my preference) start with the spring equinox.

I vaguely recall from reading about Discworld (where thanks to intelligent design the Christmas equivalent and the New Year are the same night) that the solstice doesn't cleanly mark the new year because of something about the Earth's jaunty tilted axis. (the reason we have seasons)

Also by Jupiter's overactive ballsack the Romans sure as hell ran an ad hoc operation with the calendar.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

jesus loving christ

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Anonymous Confessions: Roman Calendar Calvinball.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

You gotta wonder why metric-system zealots don't spend more time lobbying to change our horrible antiquated calendar to something more logical, really

(it is because they grew up with it so it seems natural, aka the same reason America uses Imperial)

Anyway I legit enjoy these derails but here's some content

quote:

During a slow recovery from some mental health issues, I realised recently that I was super creepy towards a really kind-hearted friend years ago, that got much worse once we weren't living in the same city. It was never sexual, which is about the only positive side to it all, but it ended with me searching for her accounts across the internet every few months and either apologising or trying to get back in touch. There's nothing I can do about it now and I like to think I can blame it on my mental state at the time; I know she had her own issues and I hope I didn't do too much damage. But I'd be an idiot if I told my current friends about this, and it seems wrong that I never got punished for my horrible behaviour.

Bonus confession: I tried to see how she was going 'now' when I figured out the above. Luckily I couldn't find anything before I realised what I was doing. Maybe the second-worst part is that even now I still kind of want "closure".

closure comes from within

And yeah if apologizing and trying to get back in touch was part of your cycle earlier you really shouldn't do it now

quote:

My dog has woken me up 8 times; he's hypervigilant and there are a lot of trains running the last couple of days for song unfathomable reason (a lot of shipping trains, vehicle transport trains, and oil trains come through my state). He's a five month old puppy so I understand but my wife is sick, I haven't slept in 23 his, and I'm losing my mind.

I googled it, took his weight, and then gave him a benedryl to knock him the gently caress out. I know it's safe for dogs and can be used for allergies and anxiety in them, but I feel like a lovely pet parent or whatever. I just knew I was starting to lose my patience; I would rather a drowsy dog than me losing my temper at him.

I'm sorry, little guy- I have therapy (ptsd, autism spectrum) and need to sleep. Forgive me. :(

I would actually call this less morally-ambiguous than those people who give their babies cold medicine or whatever to knock them out before getting on a plane

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Finally, one more because it's more relevant now than it would be tomorrow

quote:

This isn't really a confession, except that I confess to being moderately annoyed. Also note that unlike other people I am not picking a side in the Metric vs Fahrenheit debate that might be reigniting today (I am emailing on October 26, dunno when you're posting it.) Maybe you use metric units at work and then when you get home you measure the width and temperature of your rear end in a top hat in feet and fahrenheits before you post all that on the internet. I'm not judging. Anyway here is the thing I am confessing about being moderately annoyed about :

My equipment vendor offers metric dimension tubing as well as Imperial unit tubing. All kinds! Plastic, nitrile, polypropylene, sterile, reinforced, internally polished, whatever. Internal diameter and wall thickness specified in metric units. Yet it is priced by the foot or by the yard. That is inconsistent! And that bothers me quite a bit. Every time I think about this too much I need to sit down for a few minutes of fidget spinner time.

Yes, this is certainly the kind of thing that might be written by someone who is extremely not mad

They just wanted to tell everybody how mad they aren't

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
Seems like you're very defensive and eager for people to be mad, Loq. Maybe chill out on the metric thing if you actually don't care

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

Stop fumbling around through metric and standard sockets. You're not a socket tracker!

Now there's a better way!

Those things apparently suck when working on a car. Worst "thoughtful" gift ever.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

Seems like you're very defensive and eager for people to be mad, Loq. Maybe chill out on the metric thing if you actually don't care

I'm enjoying some casual trolling and have been very up-front about this

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Puppy guy, what you did seems pretty reasonable and responsible.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I give my little terrier a 1/2 a benadryl morning and night for her allergies (vet's orders). Don't sweat it.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

It was common practice and still kind of is to give babies a tiny amount of whiskey to calm them down. Just dip a finger in your drink and let them suck on the finger. If people do that you giving your puppy a properly dosed benadryl isn't a big deal. Hell, the fact you went online to find correct dosing info is a lot more than most people would do and is laudable.

Also I'm pretty sure puppetmaster goon sent in that metric confession. Give it up bro. You're trying to start a derail that is already happening. Stop thinking you are good at being a puppetmaster.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Gozer did

I have to give our dog a half a benadril pill now and then if she's too itchy or wont sleep.
You can also get melatonin pills, but get the natural kind without artificial sweeteners, since dogs get sick easily from them. Melatonin won't zonk them out but it chills them a bit more, good if you're going out all day and they get stressed.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

loquacius posted:

I would actually call this less morally-ambiguous than those people who give their babies cold medicine or whatever to knock them out before getting on a plane

That's just common courtesy.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
yeah i always just give my dog whiskey when he is being annoying

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what kind of a country are we coming to where they won't even serve liquor to a baby on a plane

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

limp_cheese posted:

It was common practice and still kind of is to give babies a tiny amount of whiskey to calm them down. Just dip a finger in your drink and let them suck on the finger. If people do that you giving your puppy a properly dosed benadryl isn't a big deal. Hell, the fact you went online to find correct dosing info is a lot more than most people would do and is laudable.

Also I'm pretty sure puppetmaster goon sent in that metric confession. Give it up bro. You're trying to start a derail that is already happening. Stop thinking you are good at being a puppetmaster.

Oh whoops I thought I was supposed to give the baby a finger of whiskey.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
You're supposed to let the baby drink the whisky until it passes out

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Babies can't talk, therefore they have no way of telling you how much whiskey they need. It's best to just set the bottle in front of them and they will naturally take the amount they need for relief.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

You can't give a bottle of whisky to a baby. It'll just spill it or break it and cut itself. No, you fill one of those hamster bottles with whisky and put it on the side of the baby cage.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That sounds like a great way to get the baby to hit you with the whiskey bottle.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Imo do not give whisky to babies.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

babies won't drink whiskey, it's too strong

you gotta mix them a manhattan or old-fashioned

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Jastiger posted:

Why, does it block your view?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Jastiger posted:

hosed up if true.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

facebook jihad posted:

I don’t really begrudge anyone in my story, but I do think it’s bullshit because I’m nearly sure if the roles were reversed I’d be taken to jail and had charges pressed against me. It’s a strong case for why we need feminism in my opinion. Women can’t expect equal rights but be able to get away with this kind of abusive behavior.

lol if you think equal accountability is the end goal of the current wave of feminism

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

loquacius posted:

You gotta wonder why metric-system zealots don't spend more time lobbying to change our horrible antiquated calendar to something more logical, really

I've seen people advocating to change over to Julian Day Number before. :shrug: (current date in JDN is 2458052.77778)

Also, my car uses both metric and SAE bolts, depending on where it is. The engine is metric, but working on the body is in SAE.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

I've seen people advocating to change over to Julian Day Number before. :shrug: (current date in JDN is 2458052.77778)

lol

let's just switch over to Unix timestamps and be done with it :v:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

loquacius posted:

lol

let's just switch over to Unix timestamps and be done with it :v:

you mean you don't run this as your main clock?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lucasdnd.unixtimeclockwidget&hl=en

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
I use the stardate system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."