Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Beet Wagon posted:

That's... yes that's exactly what he did. I think he made them hotter, or made the burntime longer or something, but yeah LPLs went from "always take this" to "Well, still always take this but it's kind of not that great any more."

Balance is a pendulum, constantly swinging around and hitting Paul in the head when he jumps up to try and catch it.

It just seems particularly dumb in this case. "This thing is worse than that thing" "But that's because you made that thing worse. You could put it back how it was." "NO, NERF THIS THING"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Fil5000 posted:

It just seems particularly dumb in this case. "This thing is worse than that thing" "But that's because you made that thing worse. You could put it back how it was." "NO, NERF THIS THING"

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. They nerfing 1 weapon system, making others more powerful in comparison, so they nerf them, then the first weapon system is now too powerful in comparison again and so on. There is just a race to the bottom trying to balance the game like this.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Especially as you could get the same effect by upping armour.

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib
They nerfed the max range on clan LPLs because they were performing too well at extreme ranges.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

TjyvTompa posted:

Thank you for the explanation. I understand that PGI does not pull/postpone a patch because they think it is fun but it is still irritating for us that have pre-ordered the new mechs to have to wait. All the debacle and backtracking on the laser nerfs just compound the issue.

Yeah we have pretty strict internal patch content deadlines and branch test cutoffs because patches are advertised new content delivery dates that we can’t miss. It took a true show stopper to make us delay it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The other reason lasers got nerfed is because PPC/Gauss got a ghost heat penalty, and then every kind of PPC also got nerfed, so you don't see those builds anymore. Players who can aim and like doing damage switched from PPC/Gauss back to lasers, so the laser numbers start to go up especially in comparison to the old competition, so gotta nerf lasers too.

Also, some of you seem to be out of the loop: Paul is no longer in charge of balance, a guy named Chris was hired a while back and he's in charge of that now. Not sure he's better at it than Paul was, but there you go. Dunno what Paul does now.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Probably put him in charge of making sure all the pictures are level and in line with the floors/ceiling/walls.

By eye.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
However you feel about him, Paul is a designer, and odds are very good he’s working on MW5.

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib
My fears about the Arctic Wolf came true. While the firepower on it is potentially great, it's horribly crippled by it's wide profile, and lack of BS assassin hitboxes. Playing one is a pain, and seeing one instantly makes you think easy damage and component destruction.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

johntherussian posted:

My fears about the Arctic Wolf came true. While the firepower on it is potentially great, it's horribly crippled by it's wide profile, and lack of BS assassin hitboxes. Playing one is a pain, and seeing one instantly makes you think easy damage and component destruction.

I noticed as the night went on, I saw less and less ACWs. I enjoy mine though. Once you can get some proper skills on it, I'm sure it'll be a bit better. I've been scoring 600+ damage consistently with the Prime variant. Just SRMs for dayssssssss....

The Osiris is awesome too. The profile is amazing compact despite the "arms" sticking out a little. It's like a squashed nose Raven. It runs way too hot with ERMLs though. Still deciding if I wanna slap SPLs or ERSLs on it.

Oh and the animations for the Nightstar and the Nova Cat are horrendous.

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 19, 2017

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib
Browsing the newest event page and this little gem pops up.

https://mwomercs.com/events/14

You get 1 of literally nothing for completing the collector's and hero challenges.

Edit: They fixed it.

johntherussian fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 19, 2017

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
There's a bug with the match scores that will be hotfixed. Not sure if they will do anything about it but the name of hero mechs looks hosed up in the game now also.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Cease to Hope posted:

However you feel about him, Paul is a designer, and odds are very good he’s working on MW5.

I have now ceased to hope

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Well I finally made it to tier 1.

:yotj:

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Oct 24, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Welcome to tier 1, same as all the other tiers.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Hello I did a bad and binge watched a bunch of B33f's old videos and now I've made the mistake of reintstalling. A) What in god's name is this new UI and why is it so bad and B) I've apparently been removed from WoL. Who do I bug to get back in?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

BattleTech posted:

Hello I did a bad and binge watched a bunch of B33f's old videos and now I've made the mistake of reintstalling. A) What in god's name is this new UI and why is it so bad and B) I've apparently been removed from WoL. Who do I bug to get back in?

A) you get use to it, like an arranged marriage.

B) I dunno, I'm in GIRL

Welcome back you poor bastard.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

BattleTech posted:

A) Eh.

B) post your in game so someone who can invite you will invite you. Go with WoL if you want to do IS faction events, and GIRL if you want Clan events.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

BattleTech posted:

Join the discord in the OP. The people that can invite to WoL are: BeefySupreme, Commoners, Aves.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

TjyvTompa posted:

Join the discord in the OP. The people that can invite to WoL are: BeefySupreme, Commoners, Aves.

Done.

The Repo Man posted:

A) Eh.

B) post your in game so someone who can invite you will invite you. Go with WoL if you want to do IS faction events, and GIRL if you want Clan events.

Which one is more active? I stopped playing when the 12 erPPC Direwolf was the meme strat so I don't have many clan mechs.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

BattleTech posted:

Done.

Which one is more active? I stopped playing when the 12 erPPC Direwolf was the meme strat so I don't have many clan mechs.

WoL is the most active and also the best. I will send you the invite now if the game works.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Pretty cool event coming up: https://mwomercs.com/tournaments?t=201710tot

Lootbags:

quote:

Achieve a Match Score of at least 100 in Faction Play to earn a Loot Bag.
Achieve a Match Score of at least 100 in Quick Play to earn a Loot Bag.

Reach 150 Loot bags through a combinations of Bonus Redeems, Quick play, and Faction Play matches and unlock the Grand Prize.

The Grand Prize is a Pick a Prize Reward where you can choose between the following options:

Inner Sphere: Hunchback HBK-4P [S] with 30% C-Bill boost and custom load outs built for performance the with a Phranken Pattern default skin and a Mech Bay
Clan: Stormcrow SCR-Prime [S] with 30% C-Bill boost and custom load outs built for performance the with a Phranken Pattern default skin and a Mech Bay

Another highlight is IS vs. IS faction play:

quote:

3 Faction Play Conflict events where the Inner Sphere Factions are in Conflict with other Inner Sphere Factions.
Davion vs Steiner
FRR vs Kurita
Marik vs Liao
So WoL will go up against Marik, hope we can get some good matches going, maybe even do some invasion.

If you have spent money you can possibly get almost all the lootbags required to get the grand prize at once:

quote:

Bonus Loot Bag Redeems
If you own the Tournament Supporter Pack you will receive 25 bonus Loot Bags.
If you own any level of the Hellspawn pre-order pack you will automatically receive 25 bonus Loot Bags.
If you own any level of the Thanatos pre-order pack you will automatically receive 25 bonus Loot Bags.
If you own any level of the Piranha pre-order pack you will automatically receive 25 bonus Loot Bags.
If you own any level of the (TBA November 1st) pre-order pack you will automatically receive 25 bonus Loot Bags.
A possible total of 125 Bonus Loot Bags!

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
The big prizes at the end, are both pretty okay mechs. So I don't know which one I wanna choose. I might go with the Hunchie though, because I love them goofy mechs.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'd go for the HBK-4P; the Stormcrow is a pretty lackluster mech these days.

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib
The grand prizes are the mechs from the first steam medium pack.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

This is a good event, especially for IS vs IS FP. That should be interesting. The prizes are cool too.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
PGI updated the Battle of Luthien stats page with more information, like the most used mechs per gamemode. I call it, the nerf list:
https://mwomercs.com/news/2017/10/1916-battle-luthien-statistics

Inner Spud:
ASN-21 is the only Assassin variant to be used. Nerf, but can probably handle it. It is pretty, pretty, pretty goooooood.
WHR-6R is really popular, I assume it is the dual LBX-20 build.
WHR-6D, not sure what people run on this, I keep mine OG. 3xLPL, 4xML, XL335. One of my favourite mechs.
BLR-1G has surpassed the 2C which barely is used. I think the lack of LFE and the LPL nerfs made people switch to the 1G on which they run....who cares, the 2C still rules gently caress the haters. Will probably not be nerfed, it aint that good.
MAD-3R not much to say, solid mech despite all the previous nerfs. Made really good by the skilltree where you can put survival on it to replace the lost quirks. With UAC5/PPCs you dont even have to spend many skillpoints on firepower. No Nerf.
GRF-2N...yikes, there is no way PGI will be able to keep the nerfbat away from this mech with such a strong showing. Almost 1000 more games than the 2nd most used scouting mech. Nerf!
BSW-P1/X1 the Bushwackers are really good but were really only used for scouting, will probably not be touched.

im getting tired of typing and starting to sound like some kind of carelord lets get this over with

Clan:
HBR-PRIME/HBR-F(L) super strong showing, no surprise there. Some kind of nerf must be coming, either to the 2xHLL build or the mech itself. Nerf!
MLX-G a.k.a the Crit Lynx. You would think that some kind of MG nerf would be needed but the Piranha is still on pre-order so it will take a while. (0 day release for C-Bills MG nerf anyone?)
EBJ-A there is nothing that PGI can do to this mech that they haven't already done. Solid mech, no nerf!

the weed is losing its power and this is less and less fun so thats it, will be interesting to see how PGI interprets the numbers, now tell me i suck, peace

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib
Looks like they added 2 more mediums to the grand prize pool: a standard Griffin 2N, and a standard Nova Prime.

Got a decent haul from the tournament supporter/preorder bags. 525 MC, 1,925,000 cbux, at least one each of those pumpkins, and other random BS.

johntherussian fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 26, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

A warning for the alternate mechs though, the HBK and SCR come with a cbill hero boost, the NVA and GRF do not.

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib
Finally got Ace Of Spades since they introduced achievements.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

johntherussian posted:

Congrats! :thumbsup:

Been ages since I played now. I want to get back into it but there's that learning hump I need to get over with new mechs, new weapons (HMGs?) balance changes, etc. so I need a good contiguous time slot, and they've been hard to find lately.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

johntherussian posted:

whats this "let john have the last kill" huh? getting boosted....so thats why I dont have this yet :troll:

In other news the faction play event is not looking so good so far, lots of people ghost dropping but don't worry, Russ is on the case:

https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/923711353507913729

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Rysithusiku posted:

MWLL just got an update. It has a standalone launcher/installer/patcher and a bunch of new stuff (including HAGs!) So if you've been wanting to try it out now's the time.

I was playing the crap out of this until Warframe took over my life recently. It's real good and if you never checked it out you should. You've got literally nothing to lose except a little bit of time, and I bet they'd love to see some more players.

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib

TjyvTompa posted:

whats this "let john have the last kill" huh? getting boosted....so thats why I dont have this yet :troll:

Some guy in a Raven stole the previous one I had been working over. Doesn't matter, cause I ended up getting 9 kills total.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I still have two accounts I do not want to use anymore and will not use and will give them to a good who asks

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
I'll take one!

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

TjyvTompa posted:

In other news the faction play event is not looking so good so far, lots of people ghost dropping but don't worry, Russ is on the case:

https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/923711353507913729

Mechwarrior Online: Not sure we can do anything about this

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

One account given away!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Fil5000 posted:

The medium laser is always a mainstay in every version of everything battletech related, because it's one slot, one ton and doesn't use ammo. Upping the cooldown time probably won't do anything to how popular it is.

MWLL doubled the medium laser to two tons and it remained a cornerstone gun and powerful when boated, it's that good. Clan ER Medium even more so.

Out of curiosity, how did MWO implement the accuracy penalty on heavy lasers? Longer burn time? I liked that approach in MWLL, felt very elegant (and spread the heat rise out a bit).

HAGs are in MWLL now. The initial design concept was a typical FPS assault rifle, auto fire with growing spread, but CryEngine 2 is balls and can only handle integer spread values so it went from 'pinpoint' to 'cone' too quickly. Ended up as a rapid fire weapon with a low overheat cap and slow cooldown, so you can either burst fire or hold down the trigger and then sweat out the overheat. The HAG40 Daishi is a beast and the high projectile velocity makes it very good against fighters and battle armor. Curious to see how MWO does HAGs if the timeline goes that far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

HLLs in MWO have a very long burn time yeah, almost 2s.

• Locked thread