Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

rndmnmbr posted:

You should learn the meaning of the word "hyperbole".

That being said, no, I don't want to destroy the earth to have clean clothes. What I really want - and which a lot of people have suggested, thanks guys! - is industrial appliances. It seems to me to be the only category left where disposable consumerism hasn't eaten away at quality. I'm sure I could buy a very nice washer at Best Buy or Home Depot, and it would last me a decade, maybe two if I'm lucky, but I want a washer I can leave to my grandchildren in my will. And with a good maintenance manual and enough spare parts, it might actually be reasonable with an industrial model.

Plus, considering that I have about a load and a half every weekend, a large capacity would turn that into one load and that seems like a really nice option.

Grandpa didnt leave us much. He had a few grand on credit card debt, owed a bit on a few trucks and cars, and didnt have any life insurance.

But he did leave us this 35 year old washing machine he got back in 2017. Truly a legacy we can be proud of, and shall remain in our family and on our family crest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET

Jastiger posted:

Grandpa didnt leave us much. He had a few grand on credit card debt, owed a bit on a few trucks and cars, and didnt have any life insurance.

But he did leave us this 35 year old washing machine he got back in 2017. Truly a legacy we can be proud of, and shall remain in our family and on our family crest.

Yeah and I want a washing machine I can keep my kids in, rear end in a top hat.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Krotera posted:

Yeah and I want a washing machine I can keep my rear end in a top hat kids in.

Fixed for you :colbert:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

bunnyofdoom posted:

I think Fondar Yards also is good.

lol, nice

JigglyPuff
Jun 3, 2002
When I was a child my mother had a ginormous twin-tube washing machine the size of an industrial chest freezer. One tub for washing and a fully separate tub for rinsing. It was loud as hell and wore away the carpet with friction burns because it shook like it was an angry tectonic plate. This was in the North of Scotland though, so when she finally upgraded to a front loading machine she narrowly avoided being burnt as a witch.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Mods, plz change thread title to “Companies that are circling the agitator”

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

ladron posted:

look at the luddite who can't hands-free order toilet paper while taking a poo poo. whose the ruby noun?

Only the three seashells for me, thanks.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

gently caress you if you dont poo poo then take a shower to rinse off

toilet paper is an invention of corporate greed

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Carrion Luggage posted:

Just poo poo in the shower and cut out the middle man.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Mods, plz change thread title to “Companies that are circling the agitator”

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

JCPenney wishes it had used the gentle cycle.

J.C. Penney Suffers Worst Drop in Decades on Loss Forecast

quote:

The shares tumbled to a low of $2.76, marking the worst intraday decline since at least 1980. The stock had already lost 56 percent of its value in 2017 and 95 percent over the past 10 years.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Carrion Luggage posted:

And waste water, you piece of poo poo?? LMAO if you don't walk around with your own personal poo poo haze cloaked around you. I take baths in piles of loose dust like the loving animals do.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Soon they'll be part of...

...the penny stocks.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

I would say I'm surprised but how can I be when they purposefully put the New Coke guy in charge.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I can't even remember the last time I've seen the inside of a JC Penny's, and I'm thinking I may be confusing it with a Sears.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Wooohoo we set a record!

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/25/news/economy/store-closings-2017/index.html

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

I like Penneys :( But to be fair I mostly go in there for accessories and Sephora and occasionally St. John's Bay pants, which are hella comfy. If Penneys goes under Sephora (at least around here) will have to rent out their own storefront, noooooo

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Glazier posted:

I would say I'm surprised but how can I be when they purposefully put the New Coke guy in charge.

Believe it or not, New Coke made sense at the time. There's a good YouTube channel, Company Man, who released a pretty detailed video about the whole debacle.
https://youtu.be/ThZJWmCaYRQ

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Mustached Demon posted:

uncultured savages who have never heard of a bidet

Iron Crowned posted:

I can't even remember the last time I've seen the inside of a JC Penny's, and I'm thinking I may be confusing it with a Sears.

I couldn't remember, either, so I pulled up pictures of both from a local mall that's now dead and torn down.

EDIT: This guy's got several dead and dying malls on his photostream: https://www.flickr.com/photos/10542402@N06/with/23489022354/

90s Solo Cup has a new favorite as of 18:04 on Oct 27, 2017

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

I waffle stomp my turds down the drain like a real man

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

I started getting into vinyl again a few years ago when I inherited my dad's collection. The mall record stores are absolute garbage and were half filled with ThinkGeek products. I starting going to local shops because they had more than just Pink floyd and Metallica albums the people that work there actually know music and can make some incredible recommendations.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I haven't been in one since the 90s, but I don't think a JCP looks significantly different from a Kohl's. (Faux-marble pathways leading in between departments, with the merch on carpet.)

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

vyst posted:

I waffle stomp my turds down the drain like a real man
pour some body wash on top of it first, it's the blue waffle stomp.

(don't google blue waffle ever)

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I did a quick walk around the JCPenney near me the day before it closed.

Citadel Mall-54 by Will King, on Flickr

Citadel Mall-55 by Will King, on Flickr

Citadel Mall-57 by Will King, on Flickr

Domestic Amuse posted:

EDIT: This guy's got several dead and dying malls on his photostream: https://www.flickr.com/photos/10542402@N06/with/23489022354/

He's even been to the mall where I took my JCPenney photos.

Citadel Mall by Mike Kalasnik, on Flickr

Citadel Mall-62 by Will King, on Flickr

Fun Fact: My 2017 photo was taken this past August. Between then and now that Kitchen Art store has closed.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Moon Slayer posted:

Just want to let you know that I, at least, got this and it made my day.

Thank you

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Bonzo posted:

I started getting into vinyl again a few years ago when I inherited my dad's collection. The mall record stores are absolute garbage and were half filled with ThinkGeek products. I starting going to local shops because they had more than just Pink floyd and Metallica albums the people that work there actually know music and can make some incredible recommendations.

They have more vinyl Funko Pops than records.

Every mall record store carries Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, Thriller, Revolver, Back in Black, and absolutely nothing else.

In Sears chat, Whirlpool not shipping any more appliances to Sears looks a lot more like Sears doesn't have the cash to pay invoices. When you're the world's largest manufacturer of home appliances, 3% is a lot of money.

Marc Bitzer's statement is basically corporate-speak for "Yeah, we'll keep making Kenmore stuff for them because it isn't worth the court battle to break the contract, but forget shipping them anything else. We don't trust that they will make enough over Black Friday and Christmas to cover the bill if we give them credit, and they don't have enough to pay cash now."

I say another 18-24 months. It will be too long and slow, but it's inevitable.

Sunshine89 has a new favorite as of 19:06 on Oct 27, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Crazy that in 2016 JC Penney’s was looking like a turn around success story. Ends up it was just a dead cat bounce.

We used to shop there a lot and use their catalog service. When I first started dating my wife she took me to get my hair cut at the JCP hair salon because why the gently caress not. We later used their photo studio for our kid’s baby pictures. The point I’m getting at is that we were loyal JCP customers and I haven’t been in one of their stores in like 5 years. They didn’t do anything to piss us off. The last time I went I found a pretty good deal on clothes. I just lost all urge to go and deal with a mall department store.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Their mistake was thinking they were Apple

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Mu Zeta posted:

Their mistake was thinking they were Apple

No the mistake was valuing their old and dying customers over attracting new ones.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Glazier posted:

No the mistake was valuing their old and dying customers over attracting new ones.

For so long these old-school retailers equated their number of stores or thousands of employees = better. JCP could survive with far fewer stores and a focus on online and catalog sales, but that's not as big and bigger is better. I guess there's a risk of being irrelevant as you reduce your retail footprint and lose mindshare, but malls are not coming back. Despite the doom and gloom in this thread, most will survive, but there are going to be fewer and fewer each year.

There are online only or online-mostly retailers that seem to be surviving just fine. L.L. Bean and Duluth both do well and even charge premium prices. But their overhead is probably a fraction of a traditional retailer and they have products people want.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Yawgmoth posted:

(don't google blue waffle ever)
Don't listen to grandma here.

Google that poo poo real good.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

For so long these old-school retailers equated their number of stores or thousands of employees = better. JCP could survive with far fewer stores and a focus on online and catalog sales, but that's not as big and bigger is better. I guess there's a risk of being irrelevant as you reduce your retail footprint and lose mindshare, but malls are not coming back. Despite the doom and gloom in this thread, most will survive, but there are going to be fewer and fewer each year.

There are online only or online-mostly retailers that seem to be surviving just fine. L.L. Bean and Duluth both do well and even charge premium prices. But their overhead is probably a fraction of a traditional retailer and they have products people want.

Ding ding ding we have a winner! :toot:

Retail experts have been saying this for the last 20 years- the USA and Canada are over -retailed. We have the highest and 2nd highest of retail square footage per capita in the the world.

Department store giants have been particularly bad at seeing this. The boards can't see past the next quarter. The CEOs and COOs see that the companies have brand equity, name recognition, an established customer base, and national presence and don't want to give it up. The bean counters see that the stores are either owned and paid off or the leases are at a fraction of market values, and there are extremely favourable supplier contracts, and don't want to mess with a good thing. They have too much real estate, but somehow manage to sell off the profitable stores and keep what's left.

All the while, their customer base is aging rapidly. I was talking to my dad about the demise of Sears Canada, and realized Sears isn't the store where I think old people shop- Sears is the store where my dad thinks that old people shop.

The middle market is struggling in general. Luxury goods are always in flux, and discounters and fast fashion places are booming.

Meanwhile, inline mall stores like Gap, J.Crew, Club Monaco and Ann Taylor are caught in a perpetual fire sale trap- nobody ever pays full price for anything, which sends the message to those that can pay full price that the goods aren't worth full price.

Fashion labels like Michael Kors and Coach are trimming their lines and pulling out of mainline department stores because they feel that the constant sales devalue their goods, which puts another dent into stores like Macy's.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sunshine89 posted:

Ding ding ding we have a winner! :toot:

Retail experts have been saying this for the last 20 years- the USA and Canada are over -retailed. We have the highest and 2nd highest of retail square footage per capita in the the world.

Department store giants have been particularly bad at seeing this. The boards can't see past the next quarter. The CEOs and COOs see that the companies have brand equity, name recognition, an established customer base, and national presence and don't want to give it up. The bean counters see that the stores are either owned and paid off or the leases are at a fraction of market values, and there are extremely favourable supplier contracts, and don't want to mess with a good thing. They have too much real estate, but somehow manage to sell off the profitable stores and keep what's left.

All the while, their customer base is aging rapidly. I was talking to my dad about the demise of Sears Canada, and realized Sears isn't the store where I think old people shop- Sears is the store where my dad thinks that old people shop.

The middle market is struggling in general. Luxury goods are always in flux, and discounters and fast fashion places are booming.

Meanwhile, inline mall stores like Gap, J.Crew, Club Monaco and Ann Taylor are caught in a perpetual fire sale trap- nobody ever pays full price for anything, which sends the message to those that can pay full price that the goods aren't worth full price.

Fashion labels like Michael Kors and Coach are trimming their lines and pulling out of mainline department stores because they feel that the constant sales devalue their goods, which puts another dent into stores like Macy's.

Which is what JCP tried to admirably break out (the fire sale trap) by getting rid of coupons and just lowering prices. And consumers rejected it.

It's like going to a car dealership and haggling versus paying a price that profits both parties and doesn't encourage underhanded dealer add-on's or fuckery with trade-in values or loan terms. The majority of people would be better off by not haggling or trying to squeeze out the lowest cost, but their perception of value decreases when they can't knock a few thousand off that MSRP.

Eventually you get to a situation like Kohl's where retail prices are meaningless and the helpful clerk reminds you that you saved $700 off your $50 purchase and isn't that great. I still get a little giddy when I get the 30% off coupon though.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

John Big Booty posted:

Don't listen to grandma here.

Google that poo poo real good.

Hell do it at work or even on the living room smart TV at home.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

Which is what JCP tried to admirably break out (the fire sale trap) by getting rid of coupons and just lowering prices. And consumers rejected it.

It's like going to a car dealership and haggling versus paying a price that profits both parties and doesn't encourage underhanded dealer add-on's or fuckery with trade-in values or loan terms. The majority of people would be better off by not haggling or trying to squeeze out the lowest cost, but their perception of value decreases when they can't knock a few thousand off that MSRP.

Eventually you get to a situation like Kohl's where retail prices are meaningless and the helpful clerk reminds you that you saved $700 off your $50 purchase and isn't that great. I still get a little giddy when I get the 30% off coupon though.

Macy's and Kohl's just recently got hit with lawsuits for false reference pricing in California.

In CA, the goods actually have to have been sold for the original listed price at some point (6 months IIRC) in order for a retailer to claim that the goods are discounted by whatever percentage from the original price.

Macy's and Kohl's never bothered charging the original price at all for hundreds of items, so it wasn't really ever a discount.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Sears announced Thursday it planned to close dozens more Sears and Kmart stores around the country, continuing a yearslong pattern.

quote:

These 45 Kmart stores and 18 Sears stores are slated to close in late January, the company announced.

Kmart 7200 Us Highway 431 Albertville AL
Kmart 1214 E Florence Blvd Casa Grande AZ
Kmart 26996 Us Hwy 19 N Clearwater FL
Kmart 6050 Highway 90 Milton FL
Kmart 901 Us 27 North Sebring FL
Kmart 156 Tom Hill Senior Blvd Macon GA
Kmart 144 Virginia Ave South Tifton GA
Kmart 1203 Cleveland Road Dalton GA
Kmart 3101 East 17Th Street Ammon ID
Kmart 1006 N Keller Drive Effingham IL
Kmart 2606 Zion Road Henderson KY
Kmart 230 L Roger Wells Blvd Glasgow KY
Kmart 501 Marsailles Road Versailles KY
Kmart 1300 Us Hwy 127 S Frankfort KY
Kmart 41601 Garfield Road Clinton Twp MI
Kmart 200 Capital Ave Sw Battle Creek MI
Kmart 2125 S Mission Street Mt Pleasant MI
Kmart 1547 Highway 59 South Thief River Falls MN
Kmart 2233 N Westwood Blvd Poplar Bluff MO
Kmart 16200 East Us Hwy 24 Independence MO
Kmart 1400 S Limit Avenue Sedalia MO
Kmart 3901 Lemay Ferry Road St Louis MO
Kmart 1130 Henderson Drive Jacksonville NC
Kmart 1292 Indiana Avenue St. Marys OH
Kmart 14901 Lorain Avenue Cleveland OH
Kmart 2830 Navarre Road Oregon OH
Kmart 4475 Mahoning Ave Austintown OH
Kmart 1249 North High Street Hillsboro OH
Kmart 3382 Birney Plaza Moosic PA
Kmart 2830 Gracy Center Way Moon Township / Coraopolis PA
Kmart 3319 North Susquehanna Trail Shamokin Dam PA
Kmart 22631 Route 68 Clarion PA
Kmart 1815 6 Ave Se Aberdeen SD
Kmart 530 Donelson Pike Nashville TN
Kmart 560 South Jefferson Avenue Cookeville TN
Kmart 1806 N Jackson Street Tullahoma TN
Kmart 4520 W 7 Street Texarkana TX
Kmart 4715 Nine Mile Road Richmond VA
Kmart 300 Towne Centre Drive Abingdon VA
Kmart 3311 Riverside Drive Danville VA
Kmart 2315 Wards Road Lynchburg VA
Kmart 111 Division St North Stevens Point WI
Kmart 800 Grand Central Avenue Vienna WV
Kmart 1287 Winchester Avenue Martinsburg WV
Kmart 301 Beckley Plaza Beckley WV
Sears* 1701 Mcfarland Blvd E Tuscaloosa AL
Sears* 5111 Rogers Avenue Fort Smith AR
Sears* 4201 N Shiloh Drive Fayetteville AR
Sears* Fiesta Mall Mesa AZ
Sears* Greeley Mall Greeley CO
Sears* 8020 Mall Pkwy Lithonia GA
Sears* 1709 Baytree Road Valdosta GA
Sears* Berkshire Mall Lanesboro (Pittsfield) MA
Sears* 7885 Eastern Blvd Baltimore MD
Sears* 1200 Us Rt 22 Phillipsburg NJ
Sears 2999 E College Avenue State College PA
Sears* 300 Lycoming Mall Circle Pennsdale/Muncy PA
Sears* 2334 Oakland Ave Indiana PA
Sears 4000 Sunset Mall San Angelo TX
Sears* 4600 S Medford Dr Lufkin TX
Sears* 754 S State Street Salt Lake Cty UT
Sears* 114 Southpark Circle Colonial Hts VA
Sears 1400 Del Range Blvd Cheyenne WY
*The Sears Auto Center at this store will close in early December 2017. The store itself will close in late January 2018.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Goddamnit, close the K-Mart in Minneapolis so we can have our loving street back! :argh:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
How many more loving K-Marts are there even left to close?

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

Carvana does exactly this and it rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mr.Radar posted:

Goddamnit, close the K-Mart in Minneapolis so we can have our loving street back! :argh:
I read that list through twice over, hoping so loving hard and yet.

And. Yet. :eng99: