Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Helsing posted:

hakimashou posted:

Yeah miliband had a problem that was separate from any policy, his goofy gumpy looking face. I remember 2 years ago watching the leaders' debates and he would just stare directly into the camera with his eyes all big and googly to 'directly address the viewer' and it made your skin crawl.

T May on the other hand has a real visage. She looks like she should be prime minister. She always looks very alert and earnest and capable and formidable.

:wow:

The absurd and shallow reasons conservatives have for their political loyalties never cease to astound/horrify me.

"She looks so stern just like mummy, she's the bestest! Win mummy win!" *dies from a gutted healthcare system*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

hakimashou posted:

:siren: I have some bad news, british. :siren:

Australia's high court just ruled on an important case that's been before it. Many high officials in the Australian government held dual citizenship, which it turns out is forbidden for government officials. The court has thrown many of them out of their jobs today, including their insane sovereign citizen senator, and this guy:

As a result of this, Australia has significantly widened its lead over britain in the English Speaking Countries Ranking.

Since the Brexit, britain has officially been the worst english speaking country, falling for the first time in ages behind the perennial loser Australia.

At this rate, Britain may never be able to eclipse its antipodean colony again. A final judgment will be made in several months, when the results of Australia's national non-binding plebiscite on gay marriage is totalled up. If Australia votes for gay marriage, it is unclear how the People of Nigel Farage will ever surpass their kangaroo-owning cousins.

no offense but in what world is the UK worse than the USA

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

bump_fn posted:

For a moment imagine you are a blairite. Imagine the terror JCrobz's current relative position would give you

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Byolante posted:

For a moment imagine you are a blairite. Imagine the terror JCrobz's current relative position would give you

i';m waiting for blair to show his dumb face again so we can have round 3 of trying him for war crimes until he goes underground

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/JonAshworth/status/923170987608338432

is that how the quote goes

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

bump_fn posted:

cost of living is much higher, government is run by pedophilic child killers or their patsies, absolutely no culture of transparency, blatantly rear end-backwards definition of public interest which means the public cant know what their betters are doing.
just as grim military ventures but without the excuse of being the world's imperial power, whole economy built on tax havens, robber banks and arms trades to dictators, never admitted to running a white supremacist global empire that made hitler or stalin's K:D ratio look like chumps

basically a lot of the evil poo poo the US does the UK does openly because we've never had the idea that the common folk are anything but peasants

otoh america unfairly stacks the scales in its favour by having healthcare, education and guns in such an absysmal state its basically unprecedentedly terrible in the whole world but IMO american healthcare for example is SO terrible that it jumps the shark and cant be used in a serious argument

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

america is a giant moronic bully that beats its kids

UK is the snidely whiplash sidekick who hides behind america going "NYEH!" and fuckign its kids

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

we're v good at weaselling out of blame for all the horrible things we did.

I mean we managed to divert blame for massacring all of the native americans onto America even though it was our colony and your country didnt exist until we got there, i think thats pretty hilarous, even to this day we judge you guys for it lmao

wont catch a british killing natives tho! (literally doesn't teach a single day of history class abotu the brithsh empire)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

....pal, this is a greggs

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
greggs would probably be really successful if it tried expanding to the US

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

my local greggs has permanently cold baked goods but is staffed by extremely friendly eastern europeans and has cheap coffee and tasty sugar-free drinks

tho one time i walked in and they were very sad because some child had poo poo all over the bathrooms and for some reason the parents were madd at greggs for it

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

idk why we're so mad at immigrants when the blatantly obvs solution is to pay eastern europeans to do all the work while being friendly and attractive and pay british people to stay at home and please not do service jobs because we're ugly, dour bastards.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Greggs is poo poo

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bryter posted:

Greggs is poo poo

But Britishers are ugly, dour bastards

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

nopantsjack posted:

cost of living is much higher, government is run by pedophilic child killers or their patsies, absolutely no culture of transparency, blatantly rear end-backwards definition of public interest which means the public cant know what their betters are doing.
just as grim military ventures but without the excuse of being the world's imperial power, whole economy built on tax havens, robber banks and arms trades to dictators, never admitted to running a white supremacist global empire that made hitler or stalin's K:D ratio look like chumps

basically a lot of the evil poo poo the US does the UK does openly because we've never had the idea that the common folk are anything but peasants

otoh america unfairly stacks the scales in its favour by having healthcare, education and guns in such an absysmal state its basically unprecedentedly terrible in the whole world but IMO american healthcare for example is SO terrible that it jumps the shark and cant be used in a serious argument

dont forget the incredibly lovely press

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

hakimashou posted:

I'm not british so I don't have a team there Helsing. I thought, and many good judges agreed with me, that corbyn was leading his party to disaster like all the polls said he was. Do me a favor and see if I've said anything really bad about him since the election would you?

Here in America I have always voted for Democrats and always will, because they are the good guys and I'm on the good guys team. Even if I found a particular candidate distasteful it wouldn't matter, because what matters is that the good guys team wins and the bad guys team loses.

Many british turned their backs on the good guys in 2010 and so all your people got these 7 years of tory rule, austerity, the Brexit, etc etc.

I'm told many british have even died as a result of the 2010 election and the disloyalty of people who switched to the lib dems.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

love this child like understanding of politics

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

babypolis posted:

dont forget the incredibly lovely press

yeah but its kind of a wash, british print news is unbelievably bad and damaging but american TV news is too

e: it is funny how without the principle of free speech our libel laws prevent people from telling the truth about rich people but don't prevent newspapers lying in order to cause hate crimes

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 15:23 on Oct 27, 2017

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

nopantsjack posted:

america is a giant moronic bully that beats its kids

UK is the snidely whiplash sidekick who hides behind america going "NYEH!" and fuckign its kids

Also you until fifty years ago hosed alot of other people’s kids after you murdered their parents in mass starvations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

nopantsjack posted:

child killers are putting their cornish sandwiches in office??????

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
All youse over there are hosed.

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/923573546479181824

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
sell greggs sausage rolls in the USA as "freedom hogs" imho

BobbyThompson
Mar 23, 2001

hakimashou posted:

I'm not british so I don't have a team there Helsing. I thought, and many good judges agreed with me, that corbyn was leading his party to disaster like all the polls said he was. Do me a favor and see if I've said anything really bad about him since the election would you?

Here in America I have always voted for Democrats and always will, because they are the good guys and I'm on the good guys team. Even if I found a particular candidate distasteful it wouldn't matter, because what matters is that the good guys team wins and the bad guys team loses.

Many british turned their backs on the good guys in 2010 and so all your people got these 7 years of tory rule, austerity, the Brexit, etc etc.

I'm told many british have even died as a result of the 2010 election and the disloyalty of people who switched to the lib dems.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This is indeed up there with EdStone, Bedroom Tax and Grime.

Well done Mr Shou.

(keep off the spice)

Shikantaza
Sep 10, 2016
Got the codes for my e-vote in the scottish leadership election. Got to be for Richard right?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Shikantaza posted:

Got the codes for my e-vote in the scottish leadership election. Got to be for Richard right?

Depends on if you want Scotlab to amount to anything again, and if you do, then yes.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

VitalSigns posted:

[quote]

:wow:

The absurd and shallow reasons conservatives have for their political loyalties never cease to astound/horrify me.

"She looks so stern just like mummy, she's the bestest! Win mummy win!" *dies from a gutted healthcare system*

Not surpising, really

You have the 0.01%+ income brackets who can say "conservative policies benifit me, a lot"

And everybody else who's screwed over by con policies but refuses to reject the cons or hold them to account in any way

That's gonna lead to some strange rationales

Nebakenezzer has issued a correction as of 18:13 on Oct 27, 2017

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Nebakenezzer posted:

Not surpising, really

You have the 0.01%+ income brackets who can say "conservative policies benifit me, a lot"

And everybody else who's screwed over by con policies but refuses to reject the cons or hold them to account in any way

That's gonna lead to some strange rationales

temporarily embarrassed millionaires but w accents

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

nopantsjack posted:

Idk about Britain being worse than America, though. I mean for one thing I think you're underestimating the amount of child loving that goes on in the american establishment. And even if you ignore healthcare there are a ton of terrible, terrible things that go on in america that are pretty incomparably awful.

For example the current american education secretary is sponsored by an religious education think tank that literally advocates for widespread child abuse and brainwashing, a program which is already hugely successful and exists in multiple states and teaches thousands and thousands of kids(see prester jane's stuff).

I'm also pretty sure the UK doesn't have a chain of brainwashing physical, mental, and sexual abuse camps for gay kids and juvenile delinquents which nearly all levels of the local government are very much complicit in. Despite the fact that these things have been known about for years and years, there's no serious action by the government to even stop the ones that already exist, let alone prevent it from happening again in the future. The fact that those camps can even exist in america, and that we know that they exist, and that people aren't constantly outraged at the very fact that those things are still going on is incomprehensible to me, and I imagine would be to most people in the UK. Maybe I'm overestimating the UK population though, because we do have the abuse camps for refugees. I think the scale of the brainwashing camps in america is pretty horrific though.

Also we don't kill our own citizens with any where near the impunity that america does (though I'm not going to argue the UK police system is progressive). And we don't use those suffering from drug addiction as a source of cheap unpaid labour, or in many cases, make them pay for the privilege of working 12 hours a day in terrible conditions and attending bible study meetings. Nor do we have a prison population per capita in line with the values found in russia around the height of the stalinist purges. We don't allow entire towns to drink industrial effluent for years (though we probably did in the past). And these are just the examples I can think of off the top of my head. There are quite a few more things that I can't even be bothered to mention, like the degree of abuse that goes on in american prisons or the severe deprivation of many public schools, because if I went into that much detail I would be typing for hours. Not only that, but I'm sure there are many, many more terrible things that I've either forgotten about or haven't even read about, because of how little the media reports on these things.

It's pretty easy to forget just how terrible america really is so it's understandable why someone might think the UK is on par, because the UK is also a very terrible place. It's just a matter of degree. I'm mainly talking domestically though, and I wouldn't be all that surprised if there were similarly terrible things about the modern UK that I've forgotten about on a similar scale to the US stuff. If I have, please feel free to correct me :)

A Spherical Sponge has issued a correction as of 21:00 on Oct 27, 2017

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

the anglosphere was a mistake

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

death to the west

BobbyThompson
Mar 23, 2001
Corbyn would have my complete support if he was just gay.

But he's angry and arrogant gay.

This bothers me.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
A good recent example of why the US is better than the U.K. is our respective political catastrophes last year.

Millions more American voted for trump's opponent than for him, but the British really did choose brexit.

Another obvious one is how we elected / re-elected a black man named Barack Hussein Obama as president, while it's only ever been white people at the top in Britain.

Just compare recent election outcomes:

We had Reagan you had Thatcher, Thatcher was worse.
We had Clinton, you had some other Tory and Blair, whom you guys hate. Clinton was better.
We had Bush Jr you had Blair, who was his lapdog, a tie.
We got Obama you picked that pig-fucker, big win for America.

Britain has always been down at the bottom with Australia in the rankings, good and bad developments are what determines who currently is the worst.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Jose posted:

greggs would probably be really successful if it tried expanding to the US

lol

oh w8 yer serious

LOL

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Americans love insanely unhealthy food

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

hakimashou posted:

A good recent example of why the US is better than the U.K. is our respective political catastrophes last year.

Millions more American voted for trump's opponent than for him, but the British really did choose brexit.

Another obvious one is how we elected / re-elected a black man named Barack Hussein Obama as president, while it's only ever been white people at the top in Britain.

We had Clinton, you had some other Tory and Blair, whom you guys hate. Clinton was better.

Britain has always been down at the bottom with Australia in the rankings, good and bad developments are what determines who currently is the worst.

"the u.s. is great because our drone strikes were ordered by a visible minority"

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

as someone who has lived in both countries the uk is by far a much better place to live, even with the poo poo weather

I mean, granted, if you're rich then they're both p much the same

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

hakimashou posted:

99% of people despise your posts yet you keep making them. Not very democratic.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Jose posted:

calm down Jose, Greggs is shite and americans have better disgusting fast food to eat than that

sorry, your greggs dream is not coming true idk what to say

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jose posted:

seriously as an american who just moved here greggs is fuckin amazing

sausage roll for 95p? sign me the gently caress up

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Jose posted:

it sucks let me die and you can keep your boiled cabbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Lastgirl posted:

Greggs is shite

:wrong: