Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Good Citizen posted:

I thought I got pretty much all the moons in the desert and then I found the moon list and oooohhh boy I only have like a third of them

Yahaha! You found me! All over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Toad King posted:

Managed to get an hour in tonight, and I can confirm the Mario is good.

https://twitter.com/TheToadKing/status/923773251347660803

That's cool and all, but I just flew a bullet bill over there

I've been playing for 10 hours now although I vaguely recall taking a half hour break sometime in there. I have 200 moons which is less than a quarter of the full amount

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

This may be the best game ever.

Hard to tell yet, but oh man, it is so drat good.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Weirdly enough the pro controller does seem easier to pull off motion control stuff with, at least for me.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

That's cool and all, but I just flew a bullet bill over there
I took a power line to that one.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Roommate and I just blew through a couple hours playing the two-player mode. I played as Cappy.

1. Moving around levels and obstacles is a great combination of teamwork and loving with player 1

2. Being able to accurately control Cappy makes bosses a joke.

3. Less reliance on motion controls it seems.

4. Severely lacking a tingle tuner "hey" button. Though having camera control is pretty great.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Donkey Kong Amiibo should unlock the Diddy Costume :mad:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Taking dumb screenshots shouldn't be this much fun in a Mario game.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
some of the skips you can do in levels are great. this game is great.

https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/status/923817882743488512

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The main drive to finish the game soon is to start watching the speedruns develop. Being at the inception of that sound neat.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 27, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Loving the game so far, I've got like 4 hours and almost 90 moons in. I'd put it on par with Super Mario 64 in quality but I wouldn't say it's the best game ever, really fun though. My biggest complaint is that the levels just don't look like Mario levels, none of the characters or enemies fit the look of the super detailed textures. Save for the Sand Kingdom, that looks all around really good.

I opted for the Wooded Kingdom before the Water one, haven't gone passed that point. I only know about the Metro Kingdom since it's been shown so much, can't wait to see what other kingdoms there are.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Every single time they show a realistic thing in game I crack up laughing, the fact that there's a shiba inu in a hat in on of the shops that is seemingly coloured in a realistic way, or the stock photos of frogs in the possession tutorial is very funny.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I really, really dislike motion controls being forced in for certain moves.

Otherwise Mario is pretty brilliant.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

fivegears4reverse posted:

I really, really dislike motion controls being forced in for certain moves.

Otherwise Mario is pretty brilliant.

I was worried about this so I asked a friend who got this early and beat the main story. He said there was pretty much nothing that he couldn't do another way without the motion controls, they just expedite the process in some cases.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Probably will think up a better way to show this off later, but I'm posting goon screenshots/videos in the second post now because it'll be fun as heck to have a Goon Travelogue showing off goofy/cool things everyone does in-game.

Please share your memories in the thread!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Game is really fun but the graphics leave ALOT to be desired; flat textures and such all over the place. Also the aforementioned motion controls are really really bad

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I think it's just ok so far. After seeing the moon list for one of the levels (thought I had them all) it does indeed feel like finding all those loving yahaha's in Zelda. :(

I too dislike the motion controls and still have random left joycon disconnects. I'll try with the pro controller next and see if it feels any better.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Larrymer posted:

I think it's just ok so far. After seeing the moon list for one of the levels (thought I had them all) it does indeed feel like finding all those loving yahaha's in Zelda. :(

I too dislike the motion controls and still have random left joycon disconnects. I'll try with the pro controller next and see if it feels any better.

<narrator> It does not.

The motion controls are the game’s weak spot IMO.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the pro controller is even more awkward tbh.

I don't understand how they couldn't put out a game that looks better than Galaxy

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm glad i'm generally ok with motion controls, game's been a blast for the first 4 or so worlds. And i'm expecting it to continue the trend.

Also, i'm glad that after clearing out cap and cascade i've decided against getting all moons and coins before moving on. Getting a majority then going to the next level is better for the pace and for the game's enjoyment. At least for me. Game was still cool + good when I was scouring worlds for goodies but some of the moons are in silly locations and missing only a couple of purple coins when everything else is done is sorta frustrating.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
Seems fun so far, but I'm another not keen on the motion control, wish we could just use a button to lock on and aim at enemies, I haven't managed to pull off a circular throw yet either :-(

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Not finding all the purple coins bothers me more than not finding all the moons since it seems there are more you can only snag later on.

But seriously I’m like 4 coin shorts in hat land and 3 in cascade and I’m going g mad trying to find them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Not finding all the purple coins bothers me more than not finding all the moons since it seems there are more you can only snag later on.

But seriously I’m like 4 coin shorts in hat land and 3 in cascade and I’m going g mad trying to find them.

Have you collected the 4 from behind where you start once you go into the cap tower? That had me stumped for way too long, even though they weren't even that hidden.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Is this game as easy as people (reviewers, youtubers, etc) say it is?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
If you're quick enough in rotating the left stick you can do the circular throw without motion controls. I'm only able to pull it off a third of the time. I don't know if any of the other motion-only moves in the guide can be replicated without motion controls

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kawabata posted:

Especially since the Moons seem to be plentiful and you basically have infinite lives (You just lose coins whenever you die).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Larryb posted:

Especially since the Moons seem to be plentiful and you basically have infinite lives (You just lose coins whenever you die).

Not like lives have ever been an issue in 3d marios tho, except for maybe the secret levels in sunshine.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Kawabata posted:

I'm not spoiling myself to see if there's any end/post game star road type stuff, but I'd say it's on par for the 3D games.
On one hand you lose ten coins instead of a life for dying, so you'll probably never see 'game over', but coins don't refill health and hearts that do are kinda rare. You'll usually just refill life when you get the moon. In instances where they're at the end of a gauntlet of platforms and enemies and lava, you can easily get hit three times and sent back to a check-point.

Bosses are a joke, but that's not unusual.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 27, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah I'm def the kind of broke-brained fool who wants to try and get 100% in a kingdom before going on but that's just not possible, it seems. I haven't even touched the Sand Kingdom yet and I already have over 30 Moons. I'll probably try to get like, around half the moons before moving on, so at least not to get hung up. It also seems like there's just things that you can't do it, plus Talkatoo and Blue Toad have stopped giving me hints which is a good a sign as any.

but yeah this game's very good

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Game gets released at the same time as the JFK files reveal he was killed by a Cuban group backed up by Jewish bankers. Very convenient.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I'm gonna back Bowser up on this. Mario didn't fly around the world stealing the most precious and rarest wedding bouquet for Peach, Mario didn't steal the most precious and rarest dress.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

Game gets released at the same time as the JFK files reveal he was killed by a Cuban group backed up by Jewish bankers. Very convenient.

I don't see the connection except that odd bit about Oswald wearing a red hat with big googly eyes but some people just have weird fashion sense.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
motion controls are good unless you have a direct physical disability preventing their use. get over yourselves.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Talkatoo and Blue Toad have stopped giving me hints
For anyone else trying to collect all coins and moons, this is the game telling you that even though it lists a number of moons from the get go, you can only get most of them at the start. The rest seem to be post game or possibly dependant on stuff later in the game happening first. I'm not really sure.

Go all out on the coins though, they are all available on the first trip, though some of them and some of the initial moons may require you to finish the plot in the area first.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

As a geologist, this is the image that convinced me it's in my best interest to get a Switch. :D

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You check the floating cubes after the boss area in cascade? Those were the last three we got.

Y'all complaining about motion controls like you haven't had two generations of consoles worth of training. Also there's a move list and the only thing that's motion only so far is throwing the hat up, which you can just jump then throw instead.

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.
More important than the game itself, does anyone have a review of Best Buy’s golden coin (preorder bonus)?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

motion controls are good unless you have a direct physical disability preventing their use. get over yourselves.

Motion controls don't work in handheld mode so having moves that can only be done with motion controls is really dumb when the ability to switch between tv/handheld mode is the main selling point of the console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
11 Straight hours of playing.

It's good.

• Locked thread