Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

grimcreaper posted:

According to my rep, all FAN discounts do not apply to either unlimited plan now.

Sounds right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

grimcreaper posted:

According to my rep, all FAN discounts do not apply to either unlimited plan now.

Typical FAN college/employer discounts don't apply to the new unlimited plans, but Military does.15% off monthly for qualifying service persons:
https://www.att.com/offers/discount-program/military-discount/

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Ultimate Mango posted:

After 2 1/2 hours on the phone and two trips to my closest AT&T retail store, and I think things are mostly sorted. Indeed the new Unlimited plans are capped per device not for the whole plan, so it's 22Gb soft cap for each, which is enough.

The iPad they couldn't do over the phone, since it was a separate plan and they could not combine them. Had to do it in store and they put in a SIM (weird because the iPad can now see the Apple SIM and the ATT physical SIM card both). The old iPad p,an still isn't really cancelled, so I need to see how that goes.

And of course the billing people couldn't help since my wireless and wired lines are on combined billing, and nobody know how to even reach that group any more. Good times.

If it's right though it's $50/month in savings. And calls to relatives in Canada will be included.

So I am confused. I can't tell, but by the way you described it, it sounds like the rep did some false churn to get that sweet commission payout.

Did you already have an AT&T data plan on the ipad before switching it to the group plan? Or was it just Apple SIM provided service?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
So I'm a grandfathered unlimited data user with a company discount (20%). Before the latest price hike my bill was something like $68/month and it's been pretty good. Now with the unlimited data price hike If I use no texts at all my bill is around $72/m after taxes and fees. I usually have some non-iMessage texts though and my past few bills have been in the $80-ish average range due to said texting. Most of them are $75-$76, but I've had a month or two that ended up in the $80-82 range.

So from these previous posts, switching to a modern plan would be a bad idea because my discount wouldn't apply to those unlimited plans. Is that true?

IDGAF about tethering because I can use my work phone for tethering when I need to.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah pretty much for single line? $95/mo for AT&T Unlimited Plus, $90 with paperless + autobilling, and at least for me about $5 tax per line, so ~$100/$95 for you? You'd get DirecTV Now's lowest plan for $10 a month I guess ($25/mo discount) plus HBO, if that means anything to you. Assuming your bill isn't talking about extras like device insurance.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 26, 2017

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

My wife and I have been using a grandfathered family plan where she and I have unlimited data and we have a third dumb phone.

We'll need to upgrade the third line with data and add fourth phone. What would be the most economical way to go about it? I don't believe we're currently under contract so we're not married to AT&T but it's either that or Verizon.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Bunk Rogers posted:

My wife and I have been using a grandfathered family plan where she and I have unlimited data and we have a third dumb phone.

We'll need to upgrade the third line with data and add fourth phone. What would be the most economical way to go about it? I don't believe we're currently under contract so we're not married to AT&T but it's either that or Verizon.

If we're talking unlimited data, there's no real "economical" way to do it with AT&T. There's either no unlimited data, gimped unlimited data (Max 3mbps. aka Unlimited Choice) or Unlimited Data (Unlimited Plus):
https://www.att.com/plans/unlimited-data-plans.html

Small Print:

quote:

1) Discount $5/mo. on single lines & $10/mo. on multi-lines. Autopay excludes credit cards. Discount starts in 1-2 bill cycles. Single line pricing (before discount) includes monthly plan charge (AT&T Unlimited Choice of $45/mo. or AT&T Unlimited PlusSM of $75/mo.) + access charge for one device ($20/mo. for all devices except connected wearables, which are $10/mo.). Multi-line pricing (before discount) includes monthly plan charge (AT&T Unlimited Choice of $85/mo. or AT&T Unlimited PlusSM of $115/mo.) + access charge for two or more devices ($20/mo. for all devices except connected wearables which are $10/mo.). Usage, speed & other restrictions apply. See below for more details.

2) Wireless only customers get streaming HBO® only and need to set-up a DIRECTV NOW account at directvnow.com for no charge. If you have an eligible TV service with AT&T , you may get HBO® on that TV platform. Redemption at att.com/unlimitedwithhbo may be req’d. Number of channels subject to change. See below for details.

3) Offer ends 11/4/17. Must get both svcs by offer end date to get credit. Req's elig. video service. Credit starts w/in 3 bills. For AT&T Unlimited Plus video credit, if you have 2 elig. video svcs, credit may not apply to DIRECTV NOW. Service prices subject to change. Charges, exclusions & other restr's apply. See below for more details.

So if we're talking four lines with unlimited data:
Unlimited Plus: $115 for + $80 = $195 + ~$20 Tax (I think, check with your rep on your state's taxes, mine is for CA) = $215
$10 discount with autobill/paperless can reduce it a bit.

Not sure what competitors are offering.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Verizon unlimited for four lines is $160/mo with 480p video streaming or $200/mo with 1080p video streaming. Thats before fees and taxes and those numbers include a $20/mo total discount for auto pay.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah, apart from the speedcap on Unlimited Choice, you're also limited to 480p iirc for streaming on mobile devices.

Both plans now include a $25 discount for DirecTV Now (making the lowest tier $10 a month) and Plus includes free HBO.

You can double check on the page if you're interested.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Y'all are awesome. Thanks.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Beefstorm posted:

So I am confused. I can't tell, but by the way you described it, it sounds like the rep did some false churn to get that sweet commission payout.

Did you already have an AT&T data plan on the ipad before switching it to the group plan? Or was it just Apple SIM provided service?

I had the OG unlimited data plan from the first iPad, and had kept rolling it forward. It was a stand-alone plan and was active on the internal sim.
They claimed they couldn’t turn off that plan on the internal sim and add it to my group plan. Did I get fleeced somehow and not realize it?

It somehow made sense that they could not turn off that internal one since it was active and on a separate account but was pretty easy to just pop in a new sim and add it to my group.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Ultimate Mango posted:

I had the OG unlimited data plan from the first iPad, and had kept rolling it forward. It was a stand-alone plan and was active on the internal sim.
They claimed they couldn’t turn off that plan on the internal sim and add it to my group plan. Did I get fleeced somehow and not realize it?

It somehow made sense that they could not turn off that internal one since it was active and on a separate account but was pretty easy to just pop in a new sim and add it to my group.

Ok yep. All sounds kosher.

They can't move your OG unlimited signed up on the ipad to a group plan.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
I'm currently on the Mobile Share Value 4GB with Rollover Data plan at $81/month. AT&T's online thingy says if I switch to their current 6GB plan it would be $13 cheaper and I want to make sure there aren't going to be any gotchas.

I have a $15 "Discount for Access". That's the "off-contract" discount, correct? That discount won't go away when switching data plans, correct?
I also have a 20% discount on my data plan through a large employer and want to make sure that also doesn't go away.

Are there any other potential gotchas? (I'm aware of the differences in how overages are handled: throttling to 2G vs $15/GB overage)

I'm also thinking about going prepaid instead. What are the differences between prepaid and postpaid these days? My google search returned an old forum post saying postpaid has roaming, increased network priority, VoLTE/HD Voice, and WiFi calling. Still true today? Is the network priority thing really an issue in cities and suburbs?

Thanks all.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

There Will Be Penalty posted:

I'm currently on the Mobile Share Value 4GB with Rollover Data plan at $81/month. AT&T's online thingy says if I switch to their current 6GB plan it would be $13 cheaper and I want to make sure there aren't going to be any gotchas.

I have a $15 "Discount for Access". That's the "off-contract" discount, correct? That discount won't go away when switching data plans, correct?
I also have a 20% discount on my data plan through a large employer and want to make sure that also doesn't go away.

Are there any other potential gotchas? (I'm aware of the differences in how overages are handled: throttling to 2G vs $15/GB overage)

I'm also thinking about going prepaid instead. What are the differences between prepaid and postpaid these days? My google search returned an old forum post saying postpaid has roaming, increased network priority, VoLTE/HD Voice, and WiFi calling. Still true today? Is the network priority thing really an issue in cities and suburbs?

Thanks all.

[Disclaimer: ATT retail employee]

The $40 - $15 thing is super misleading; it's just a relic of the fact that contracts on phones used to exist. It just means that your lines are $25 each. Per line, the $6gb plans are $5 cheaper.

FAN discounts don't go away when switching plans, no.

There are no other gotchas switching from Mobile Share Value to Mobile Share Advantage.

I take it you only have one line? If so, it's almost always better to switch to prepaid. I'm in Seattle and I switch people on one line to prepaid all the time, and not once has someone come by to say that they don't have service like they used to. In theory, there are areas where there's less prepaid service than there is postpaid, but I don't think it's a huge deal. I'll have to check tomorrow about losing HD voice and WiFi calling, but that sounds right to me.

Overall, I think the 6gb $40 per month prepaid with autopay is the best deal that AT&T has at the moment. The alternative (if you have one line) is the $60 Unlimited Choice.

Postpaid advantages:
  • can get free HBO and reduced-price DTV/DTV Now with one of the unlimited plans
  • can finance phones
  • can add insurance, international packages, other per-month features
  • can use myATT app
  • can get FAN discounts
  • cheaper the more lines are on it

Prepaid advantages:
  • super cheap
  • bill is the same every month (since there's no "bill," you just pay for the next 30 days)
  • can get $149 iphone SE and $199 iphone 6

If you want more help, PM me and I'll give you more advice when I'm on the clock

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Paid full price on an X through both Apple and ATT since I got different shipping estimates. Hopefully it doesn't kill the monthly bill credits I get for trading in a 6 to buy a 7.

Can't assume anything when they wanted to charge me a restocking fee to return an online purchase in-store.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Can't assume anything when they wanted to charge me a restocking fee to return an online purchase in-store.
How long ago? This is very clearly against policy

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

How long ago? This is very clearly against policy
Last year. I preordered the Jet Black 7 and decided I wanted to Space Gray instead.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Last year. I preordered the Jet Black 7 and decided I wanted to Space Gray instead.

Ah, okay. It's changed since then

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

Ah, okay. It's changed since then
Last question. Since I paid full price through AT&T, does the X come unlocked? I'm seeing old, conflicting information with some people saying you have to request a device unlock and only after 60 days.

My understanding is that full price iPhone purchase from Apple (as opposed to carriers) come unlocked.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

kingcobweb posted:

FAN discounts don't go away when switching plans, no.

I was told sometime last year that if I switched to an "Unlimited" plan from my current bucket (25GB) plan, I would lose my FAN discount.

Definitely not worth it, especially since throttling sucks, and Stream Saver can get hosed too. Pretty sure the price was higher with the loss of the discount too.

BUCKET FOR LIFE

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

pzy posted:

I was told sometime last year that if I switched to an "Unlimited" plan from my current bucket (25GB) plan, I would lose my FAN discount.
This is true. User-hostile, but true.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Last question. Since I paid full price through AT&T, does the X come unlocked? I'm seeing old, conflicting information with some people saying you have to request a device unlock and only after 60 days.

My understanding is that full price iPhone purchase from Apple (as opposed to carriers) come unlocked.

Nah, they're still locked. They're all from the same inventory, they have SIM cards inserted already. If you pay for them outright, you can get them unlocked immediately though, since it depends on the length of service for the account. (This last part I'm only like, 80% sure of; again, I'll check on that today)

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

pzy posted:

Definitely not worth it, especially since throttling sucks, and Stream Saver can get hosed too. Pretty sure the price was higher with the loss of the discount too.

BUCKET FOR LIFE

Yes and no. The FAN is still attached to the account, even when you're on an Unlimited plan. It doesn't go away, it just... doesn't give you discounts. You do get credited back those dreaded upgrade fees, though, and you still get (depending on FAN) waived activation charges and accessory discounts. This can be a big deal if you're doing a promo tablet, since the activation fees on those are $45.

Stream Saver is added by default to everyone. You probably have it and didn't know it.

How many lines do you have? You're on one that charges $15 per line, right? In that case, it's prooobably better to stick with where you are, but it depends on your FAN % discount and how many lines.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

Nah, they're still locked. They're all from the same inventory, they have SIM cards inserted already. If you pay for them outright, you can get them unlocked immediately though, since it depends on the length of service for the account. (This last part I'm only like, 80% sure of; again, I'll check on that today)
If I were to sell the X to someone, when they activate it, will it become associated with my AT&T account and deactivate my current SIM in my 7? Presumably I wouldn't even have to worry about that because they would put in their SIM, but you never know.

I just want to make sure I don't need to go to an AT&T store and tell them, "This SIM right here in my 7? This is the SIM I want on my account, not the one that shipped with the X."

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

If I were to sell the X to someone, when they activate it, will it become associated with my AT&T account and deactivate my current SIM in my 7? Presumably I wouldn't even have to worry about that because they would put in their SIM, but you never know.

I just want to make sure I don't need to go to an AT&T store and tell them, "This SIM right here in my 7? This is the SIM I want on my account, not the one that shipped with the X."

If you order a phone, you have to associate it with a phone number. Then when you activate it, the one you ordered will have that phone number. You could get another SIM card after you activate it, I guess, and put that in your 7, but it would be a bit of a pain.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

If you order a phone, you have to associate it with a phone number. Then when you activate it, the one you ordered will have that phone number. You could get another SIM card after you activate it, I guess, and put that in your 7, but it would be a bit of a pain.
If I understand correctly, if I sell the phone before activating it, I need to make sure the buyer takes his current SIM and puts it into the X otherwise it'll deactivate the one in my 7?

Maybe I don't understand the activation process correctly. I assume the first time the phone is ever turned on, that initial activation is different from the activation that happens when you do a erase/restore because the initial activation will tell AT&T to associate the new unused SIM with the phone number on the account that bought the phone, whereas subsequent restore/activation will instead use the phone number already associated with the old previously used SIM.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 27, 2017

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

If I understand correctly, if I sell the phone before activating it, I need to make sure the buyer takes his current SIM and puts it into the X otherwise it'll deactivate the one in my 7?

It’s not putting in the SIM that activates it, it’s using the website or calling 611 that tells them to activate it.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Bad news friends, the buy one get one offer doesn’t work on iPhone X either as the buy one or the get one phone.

Good news is that if you want two iPhone 8, you don’t need Directv to do that as of yesterday

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Wow, we got another AT&T rep in here, nice.

Here's a question: If I get a mobile hotspot on a 2-year contract on a line (Like your new Nighthawk LTE, assuming it's better than the Unite Explore or whatever)... sometime down the line, but during the contract period, can I use a phone on that line instead without breaking contract? or does that contract lock the device type on the line?

Also what changed with the return policy? I thought it was up to $45 restocking fee?

I'm mainly using the line for DirecTV Now (since it's sponsored data for mobile devices using the app and supposedly also mobile devices using the app connected to hotspots), as well as some other streaming now and again.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 30, 2017

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

BeAuMaN posted:

Wow, we got another AT&T rep in here, nice.

Here's a question: If I get a mobile hotspot on a 2-year contract on a line (Like your new Nighthawk LTE, assuming it's better than the Unite Explore or whatever)... sometime down the line, but during the contract period, can I use a phone on that line instead without breaking contract? or does that contract lock the device type on the line?

Also what changed with the return policy? I thought it was up to $45 restocking fee?

I'm mainly using the line for DirecTV Now (since it's sponsored data for mobile devices using the app and supposedly also mobile devices using the app connected to hotspots), as well as some other streaming now and again.

Hi don’t get me fired thanks

The Nighthawk looks pretty sick! It’s our first hotspot in a while to have an Ethernet jack

You cannot use a phone on that line. The reason is that the network can tell what sort of device is on the line, because the device tells the network its IMEI. This is how AT&T can automatically charge you $10 a month for a tablet, but $20 for a smartphone.

Even if you did somehow trick it, you wouldn’t get talk or text on the line

What you CAN do is, if you have a tablet or a hotspot under contract, you can put the SIM card in a new one. So say you buy some fancier hotspot off Amazon, we’ll hook that up for you on the same line no problem.

The return policy change is if you order something on the website or through the app, you can return it to a store within 14 days with no restocking fee. Yes, this basically means it’s strictly better to order it yourself than order it with the rep in the store. (But let the nice rep access your account first so they get the commission!!)

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah, I thought that Ethernet offloading thing was pretty neat. So, on the line-change question... I'm familiar with how AT&T registers devices by IMEI. My question was more on the contract part. I'm on AT&T Unlimited Plus. Everything is $20 per additional line (except for wearables). I pay $20/mo for hotspots, $20/mo for smartphones, $20/mo for dumbphones, etc. So if I get a line with said hotspot on contract... I can't call up AT&T and change the line over to a smartphone line during the contract period, correct, even it's all the same price?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

BeAuMaN posted:

Yeah, I thought that Ethernet offloading thing was pretty neat. So, on the line-change question... I'm familiar with how AT&T registers devices by IMEI. My question was more on the contract part. I'm on AT&T Unlimited Plus. Everything is $20 per additional line (except for wearables). I pay $20/mo for hotspots, $20/mo for smartphones, $20/mo for dumbphones, etc. So if I get a line with said hotspot on contract... I can't call up AT&T and change the line over to a smartphone line during the contract period, correct, even it's all the same price?
I'm not 100% sure but here goes:

I think you can switch it to a smartphone without paying anything extra. The reason is that the unlimited plan, unlike older Mobile Share plans, doesn't have a higher charge for lines under contract (earlier in the thread I explained how the $40 - $15 per month is a legacy of lines under contract costing $40 per month). So, as long as you update the IMEI at att.com/updatedevice you should be okay.

But I tried researching it myself and asking my more-knowledgable coworker and we're just speculating!

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

kingcobweb posted:

[Disclaimer: ATT retail employee]
*stuff*

Belated thanks for your response and info.

I have anxiety about making ~*~big decisions~*~ like changing data plans and such for some reason but that's my issue to deal with.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

International travel question.

Traveling over christmas from U.S. to Germany. I currently have the iPhone 6s with a grandfathered unlimited data plan, which seems like it doesn't apply overseas.

What are my options? Looking at the ATT website, I think I can buy an "AT&T Passport" for $40 which gives:

Talk: $1per minute/min
Send texts: Unlimited
Get texts: Same plan you use at home
Use data: 200MB, then $0.25/MB
Connect to AT&T Global Wi-Fi hotspots for free.

Or Spend $60 on the silver version which is:

Talk: $0.50per minute/min
Send texts: Unlimited
Get texts: Same plan you use at home
Use data: 300MB, then $0.20/MB
Connect to AT&T Global Wi-Fi hotspots for free.

Now...I never talk on my phone. If I do, it's to my wife (who will be with me) or sometimes to my mom. 99% of the people I know use iMessage for texting since they all have iPhones like I do. Looking at the website, it seems like iMessage will eat into my data. Can I just turn iMessages off during the trip to make sure I'm not incurring data usage from that and send/receive all messages as texts which are free for me?

The main thing I'm worried about is data. I won't plan on streaming music or videos while I'm there, unless I'm on wifi. However, one big thing I think I'll be using is google maps to figure out how to get places, and probably an internet browser to look things up...I would imagine google translate may also come in handy. I know this is a completely subjective question, but would 2-300 mb be enough? I'm not sure how much space I'm using when I google something or use google maps.

Any other options I'm not thinking of here? I'll be gone for two weeks.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Unlock your phone and get a prepaid SIM in the country you go to

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

kingcobweb posted:

Unlock your phone and get a prepaid SIM in the country you go to

Not against this, but I don’t know anything about it. I’m also going to three countries (Germany, Czech, and Austria) so would I need 3 separate sims?

Also-how would this affect pricing?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

nwiniwn posted:

Not against this, but I don’t know anything about it. I’m also going to three countries (Germany, Czech, and Austria) so would I need 3 separate sims?

Also-how would this affect pricing?

You’d suspend your service while you’re in another country. It’s called a vacation suspend, it’s like $10/month to retain your number.

Yes, you’d get a SIM in every country.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

kingcobweb posted:

You’d suspend your service while you’re in another country. It’s called a vacation suspend, it’s like $10/month to retain your number.

Yes, you’d get a SIM in every country.

So how much would I be paying for data on average, in the different countries by using a SIM card I bought there?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

nwiniwn posted:

So how much would I be paying for data on average, in the different countries by using a SIM card I bought there?

It 100% depends on the country. But I’d expect about $50 for 5gb, somewhere around there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Look into a “Orange holiday” SIM. One prepaid sim, works in all three countries, not sure about cost (iirc cost will vary noticeably depending on if you need it to work for more than 14 days or not).

E: or you can just turn off cellular data and get delayed iMessages when you connect to WiFi.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 5, 2017