Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

good nine year old chart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Agronox posted:

good nine year old chart

Digiwizzard fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 22, 2017

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Agronox posted:

good nine year old chart

That chart is good because it shows the 1920's easy credit economy in perspective. A magical era where people thought it was okay to put all their money into the stock market and even borrow money to purchase stocks.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

it'll be fine

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

etalian posted:

This ad from the Incorporated TV show ad owned lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AhTGK1ybkk

this was a pretty good show

too bad they cancelled it

i just think it was too on the mark

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xyqDUl9jkA

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.salon.com/2017/04/24/a-future-of-shrinking-jobs-most-workers-today-are-underpaid-and-it-gets-worse_partner/

94% of new jobs created in the past 10 years are temporary/contract jobs

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

:stare: holy jesus

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

i warned you about capitalism dogg

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I used to believe people when they said that government debt wasn't a bad thing then I saw Greece and Puerto Rico and now I think gently caress that poo poo that's my new opinion now I'm selling memorabilia of my new Good Opinion on my patreon here if you are interested also :nws: I guess I do other stuff too.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Meanwhile let's get rid of some more jobs http://thehill.com/policy/technology/356887-fcc-eliminates-local-studio-requirement-for-broadcasters

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

I watched The Big Short recently and at the end they mention banks are now selling "bespoke tranche opportunities" which are basically the same as CDOs. Is there any data how much money is being put into these things now compared to what was being put into CDOs before the 2008 crisis?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/FT/status/922880426724741120

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I used to believe people when they said that government debt wasn't a bad thing then I saw Greece and Puerto Rico and now I think gently caress that poo poo that's my new opinion now I'm selling memorabilia of my new Good Opinion on my patreon here if you are interested also :nws: I guess I do other stuff too.

1. That's not government debt
2. The only reason it was bad in Puerto Rico and Greece is neither has their own currency

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

I saw this already but it still blows my mind

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

quote:

The velocity of money is the frequency at which one unit of currency is used to purchase domestically- produced goods and services within a given time period. In other words, it is the number of times one dollar is spent to buy goods and services per unit of time. If the velocity of money is increasing, then more transactions are occurring between individuals in an economy.

Being economy stats it's mostly bullshit, but lol.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thanks Obama!!!

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

:thermidor:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

it's probably not quite as bad as the percentages suggest, because the study doesn't account for the Great Recession

still really bad tho. the number of people doing "alternative work" (temps, contracting, independent contractors, etc) rose by 8.6 million from 2005 to 2015, while the number of people doing traditional full-time work rose by only 500k over the same period. in 2015, 8.4% of all workers are independent contractors, and the number of people working for contracting agencies has more than doubled over the past 10 years

altogether, roughly 15% of jobs are "alternative work". the industries that are using those measures most heavily right now are...education and healthcare

:911::votegop::911:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Macron looks a lot like the serial killer interviewer in mindhunter on Netflix lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

the problem isn't government debt

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I'm the person entering the labor force in 2010 who saves every penny

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Digiwizzard posted:

the problem isn't government debt

My problem with it is that the debt limit is already used as a cudgel to pass more cuts, if the debt ever actually grows to levels where it will become a problem, than I see otherwise unthinkable cuts as likely.

E: also: US debt as a percentage of GDP seems like a weird measure to use, doesn't it? Because to me it seems like that measure would overstate busts and understate booms, wouldn't it? For example, the economy went to poo poo without the debt changing at all, the debt as a percentage of the GDP would increase, wouldn't it?

EE: In that context, it is concerning that the debt is increasing at ALL post "full recovery" after 2007, because it means that debt growth is outpacing GDP growth, but lol tax cuts

TeenageArchipelago fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 26, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
theyd try to pass cuts even if we had no debt

hth

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

If it was that trivial then they wouldn't need to use the debt ceiling as leverage :colbert:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

E: also: US debt as a percentage of GDP seems like a weird measure to use, doesn't it? Because to me it seems like that measure would overstate busts and understate booms, wouldn't it? For example, the economy went to poo poo without the debt changing at all, the debt as a percentage of the GDP would increase, wouldn't it?

That's intended; debt to GDP helps you measure carrying capacity.

And historically you're more likely to ease the burden by growing out of it or inflating rather than cutting anyway (which is what happens with that 1933 spike, for instance).

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/923653015705473024

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

i hope those robots contribute generously to the annual thanksgiving food drive for other walmart employees

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVNz_VYIx90

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

And Wal-Mart is giving them better healthcare than the humans.

So many of those things are going to get stolen by We the People.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Over Easy posted:

And Wal-Mart is giving them better healthcare than the humans.

So many of those things are going to get stolen by We the People.

I'm sure Wal-Mart's security will

oh wait they don't have security they freeload by just calling the police so often the police stay nearby.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

the world of tomorrow

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/oct/26/worlds-witnessing-a-new-gilded-age-as-billionaires-wealth-swells-to-6tn

quote:

The world’s super-rich hold the greatest concentration of wealth since the US Gilded Age at the turn of the 20th century, when families like the Carnegies, Rockefellers and Vanderbilts controlled vast fortunes.

Billionaires increased their combined global wealth by almost a fifth last year to a record $6tn (£4.5tn) – more than twice the GDP of the UK. There are now 1,542 dollar billionaires across the world, after 145 multi-millionaires saw their wealth tick over into nine-zero fortunes last year, according to the UBS / PwC Billionaires report.

Stadler said that the super-rich’s concerns over public perceptions that they were getting wealthier at the expense of the wider population had led them to make greater philanthropic gifts and spend their money on public art galleries and sports teams.

:ughh:

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/business/status/923896028721504256

totally not bubble behavior

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

quote:

Stadler said that the super-rich’s concerns over public perceptions that they were getting wealthier at the expense of the wider population had led them to make greater philanthropic gifts and spend their money on public art galleries and sports teams.

yes, that's why

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

invest in my new blockchain dildo company

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lowtax is once again going to miss out on this monetization opportunity by refusing to change the forums to SomethingBlockchain

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

EHF's Blockchain Dildo Co.

"I don't know how it works and neither do you, so give me money"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

normal economy here