Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
EF is designed for application first dbs which are universally garbage and on top of that it has this stupid loving entity layer thing that makes using it a pain in the dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

yeah ef admittedly expects a ton of control over your db, even by orm standards. it's such a bad fit for existing dbs.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

eschaton posted:

please make a smiley out of this

tia

these are all over the file size limit, but the dimensions are within limits. these are really good, imo and definitely should be added.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

now that kinect is discontinued (and already getting really hard to buy in switzerland where i live), is there any alternative combination of hardware + software to do full-body skeleton tracking?

preferably something i can code in .NET, NodeJS, or some other "get poo poo done quickly" language? honestly i am not looking for code reuse and a nice architecture. this is more of an artistic project

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

go play outside Skyler posted:

now that kinect is discontinued (and already getting really hard to buy in switzerland where i live), is there any alternative combination of hardware + software to do full-body skeleton tracking?

preferably something i can code in .NET, NodeJS, or some other "get poo poo done quickly" language? honestly i am not looking for code reuse and a nice architecture. this is more of an artistic project

not really, no. apple bought the company who made the chipset that powered the kinect.

i actually worked on a medical project that used the kinect to do 3d scans a little bit before apple bought them. the company eventually had to email tim cook and he got them to send a bunch of kinect stock.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

not really, no. apple bought the company who made the chipset that powered the kinect.

i actually worked on a medical project that used the kinect to do 3d scans a little bit before apple bought them. the company eventually had to email tim cook and he got them to send a bunch of kinect stock.

damnit timb!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

lol apple is literally the new microsoft

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

is there a link to this message queue post by tef? i’m interested

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Sapozhnik posted:

lol apple is literally the new microsoft

Steve Ballmer > Tim Cook

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

oh no blimp issue posted:

they are somewhere in the old thread.

the problems people get themselves into with queues are

1. using a queue to solve overloading ( monococqc with the pictures blog https://ferd.ca/queues-don-t-fix-overload.html )
2. using a queue as a (global) message bus to decouple services

if you search around there are a nontrivial number of talks about how companies took their MESSY FAILING service to service model and switched to a bunch of spokes shoving untrackable poo poo into kafka

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Fiedler posted:

Steve Ballmer > Tim Cook

apple is 90s microsoft except unlike 90s microsoft it has pathetic sycophants even in the 219 constantly slurping the dick of this trillion dollar corporation

"here's to the misfits!" :iamafag:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

oh no blimp issue posted:

https://programmingisterrible.com/post/162346490883/how-do-you-cut-a-monolith-in-half

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

ef is so bad

Yeah, I'll agree with you here. A million ways to do the same thing, and all of them are bad.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

thanks my dude

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i'm about to start writing a jnr-ffi binding for cuda

yeah, jcuda is a thing, but supposedly (supposedly) jnr-ffi can achieve better perf than plain jni, while also being easier to write and being what project panama is based off. plus, jcuda only supports cuda 8, and I'd like to write something that supports cuda 9 (even tho i don't use anything specifically in cuda 9). finally, i should be able to have a library that doesn't require -linux-x86_64.jar if i do this. gonna start with NVRTC since it seems simple enough...

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

yeah as i understand it apple basically bought PrimeSense to lock down the concept of "3D depth camera via IR speckle pattern projection" and isn't making a standalone unit to replace all the other sensors that no longer have access to the required components. looks like the tech ended up as iphone x face ID.

the asus xtion does basically the same thing as the kinect and has good open-source drivers through OpenNI2 but it's got the same component supply problem as the kinect so the ones still on the market are getting more and more expensive as robotics labs hoard them to support ongoing projects.

the asus xtion 2 is a laser time-of-flight sensor (to dodge the IP issues, i guess). in theory it also works with OpenNI2 but the driver isn't well documented and i don't know anyone who's actually gotten it working independently from its bundled software.

here's a list of other depth cameras (as of December 2016). lots of them show up as out-of-stock today.

i've worked with these kinds of sensors through ROS (generally using C++, though Python's an option too). i haven't done skeleton tracking but there's at least one ROS package that looks like it can do it. i won't claim that it's really a "get poo poo done quickly"-type arrangement but it's pretty easy to graft on additional functionality once you know what's up. ROS packages for depth cameras generally use OpenNI2, so that's an option if you want to work standalone.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Glorgnole posted:

yeah as i understand it apple basically bought PrimeSense to lock down the concept of "3D depth camera via IR speckle pattern projection" and isn't making a standalone unit to replace all the other sensors that no longer have access to the required components. looks like the tech ended up as iphone x face ID.

the asus xtion does basically the same thing as the kinect and has good open-source drivers through OpenNI2 but it's got the same component supply problem as the kinect so the ones still on the market are getting more and more expensive as robotics labs hoard them to support ongoing projects.

the asus xtion 2 is a laser time-of-flight sensor (to dodge the IP issues, i guess). in theory it also works with OpenNI2 but the driver isn't well documented and i don't know anyone who's actually gotten it working independently from its bundled software.

here's a list of other depth cameras (as of December 2016). lots of them show up as out-of-stock today.

i've worked with these kinds of sensors through ROS (generally using C++, though Python's an option too). i haven't done skeleton tracking but there's at least one ROS package that looks like it can do it. i won't claim that it's really a "get poo poo done quickly"-type arrangement but it's pretty easy to graft on additional functionality once you know what's up. ROS packages for depth cameras generally use OpenNI2, so that's an option if you want to work standalone.

OpenNI2 is really bad because it uses a ton of threads for no reason and bitbangs poo poo over libusb, so I ended up writing a linux kernel driver so that it could stream the data as fast as it was being captured. There was another guy who wrote kernel driver that exposes everything using Video4Linux APIs, but we really needed the raw data and didn't care about getting it in whatever N-bit depth image he was exposing it as. Plus using ioctl to control the camera wasn't all that appealing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

hey in C# land what is the 'correct' way to store things like connection strings/passwords such that they can't be trivially retrieved through opening app.config/assembly decompilation? i'd google but i'm not quite sure what to look for

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Ciaphas posted:

hey in C# land what is the 'correct' way to store things like connection strings/passwords such that they can't be trivially retrieved through opening app.config/assembly decompilation? i'd google but i'm not quite sure what to look for
Right now I'm using Azure's app strings for the "prod" stuff on my project, and just have a local DB in app.config for my own testing.

Other than that, you can encrypt your app config, but I'm not sure about that personally.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Ciaphas posted:

you should definitely roll your own solution to this. it’s certain to be secure if nobody else knows how it works

simble
May 11, 2004

.net core finally has a decent solution to this

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/core/security/app-secrets?tabs=visual-studio

not sure if this exists outside of the core world yet. it honestly wouldn't be hard to roll your own as well. the jist is that you keep your secrets in a separate file that lives on the server and outside of your deployment process and you load them at runtime

this does not apply if you're app is a client application used locally

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

OpenNI2 is really bad because it uses a ton of threads for no reason and bitbangs poo poo over libusb, so I ended up writing a linux kernel driver so that it could stream the data as fast as it was being captured. There was another guy who wrote kernel driver that exposes everything using Video4Linux APIs, but we really needed the raw data and didn't care about getting it in whatever N-bit depth image he was exposing it as. Plus using ioctl to control the camera wasn't all that appealing.

i didn't know that but lol, figures. lots of stuff in the ~robotics ecosystem~ is pretty dire and people are really averse to fixing it for some reason.

got anything you can share, either re: drivers or project details? stuff sounds neat.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Glorgnole posted:

i didn't know that but lol, figures. lots of stuff in the ~robotics ecosystem~ is pretty dire and people are really averse to fixing it for some reason.

got anything you can share, either re: drivers or project details? stuff sounds neat.

If I can dig up the code to the drivers in some old backups, I'll put it up on github.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

simble posted:

.net core finally has a decent solution to this

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/core/security/app-secrets?tabs=visual-studio

not sure if this exists outside of the core world yet. it honestly wouldn't be hard to roll your own as well. the jist is that you keep your secrets in a separate file that lives on the server and outside of your deployment process and you load them at runtime

this does not apply if you're app is a client application used locally

Key vault works well outside of .net core too. It's basically just certificate authentication only to access the secrets, and only your production servers have the certificates to access the production vault. Point development servers at the development vault with their own certificates, and the developers don't ever need access to production secrets.

I imagine you could use keyvault without using .net too since it's just a certificate authenticated api, as far as I know.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ciaphas posted:

There isn't? If your secrets are on someone else's computer, that someone else can read them. Anything you do at that point is obfuscation at best.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

darthbob88 posted:

Right now I'm using Azure's app strings for the "prod" stuff on my project, and just have a local DB in app.config for my own testing.

Other than that, you can encrypt your app config, but I'm not sure about that personally.

I've done the app config encryption and it works OK but you have to set up whatever's using it to encrypt it on first run so you have to do it all as plaintext for the first load and then maintain the encrypted config across all future deployments. or reencrypt each time.

we have a pretty sweet service at work that handles this for use by using a custom config library that calls out to the service to get credentials when needed and handles all the encryption and authorisation for us

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Glorgnole posted:

wow, thanks for the extremely detailed write-up! i knew asking here was a good idea :)

so basically, i think i'm just going to buy like 3 kinects and their adapters and just hoard hoard hoard

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
for a government project the feds were adamant that even though amazon RDS has been approved for federal gov poo poo in govcloud, they wouldnt trust it because "amazon can get the encryption keys"

so we ended up using an EC2 instance, using dmcrypt for at-rest encryption, and then at a meeting i explained to them that amazon could technically just take a snapshot of memory and pull the keys out anyways.

there was visible panic, and i upset a lot of military CJs who "really wanted to migrate to cloud services" but also "need perfect secrecy an a controlled secured environment"

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

wow, thanks for the extremely detailed write-up! i knew asking here was a good idea :)

so basically, i think i'm just going to buy like 3 kinects and their adapters and just hoard hoard hoard

the problem with them in general is that while the chipset is good, the USB layer/chipset/whatever they use is godawful, and is really super sensitive about timing.

there was a "sweet-spot" of number of in-flight URBs that had to be cycled constantly or else it would randomly drop data. if you could get a stream of frames from the thing, it worked great, but you ended up having to tune a bunch of poo poo by hand to figure it out.

im so glad im not loving around with that thing anymore

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i saw a talk about basically that at strange loop and it seemed like a lot of cognitive dissonance between not wanting to have a physical govt computer but also not wanting anyone else to have a physical computer

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

the problem with them in general is that while the chipset is good, the USB layer/chipset/whatever they use is godawful, and is really super sensitive about timing.

there was a "sweet-spot" of number of in-flight URBs that had to be cycled constantly or else it would randomly drop data. if you could get a stream of frames from the thing, it worked great, but you ended up having to tune a bunch of poo poo by hand to figure it out.

im so glad im not loving around with that thing anymore

frankly i'm just looking for a way to detect if someone is raising their hand, or sitting on a chair, and i need to code it without a phd in image processing. it needs to work in a relatively public place

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

for a government project the feds were adamant that even though amazon RDS has been approved for federal gov poo poo in govcloud, they wouldnt trust it because "amazon can get the encryption keys"

so we ended up using an EC2 instance, using dmcrypt for at-rest encryption, and then at a meeting i explained to them that amazon could technically just take a snapshot of memory and pull the keys out anyways.

there was visible panic, and i upset a lot of military CJs who "really wanted to migrate to cloud services" but also "need perfect secrecy an a controlled secured environment"

hahah nice

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
App.config uses either the machine protected store or the user protected store so anything with access to the respective store, meaning any user who needs to use the app, will have access.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

if they needed that then they’d be in the region that offers that

EDIT: for reference

FamDav fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 28, 2017

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

the latest AMD CPUs actually include a memory encryption engine designed pretty much for this scenario. it actually looks pretty neat, though it still requires you to trust their equivalent to Intel's Management Engine to be perfectly secure so :shrug:.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i appreciate all the discussion this page but it has left me more confused than before re:

Ciaphas posted:

The Azure thing made sense, but as usual I'm hampered by working on an airgapped network (e: said airgapping is why no one's given a poo poo about the plaintext pw, also it's an internal app and everyone knows the pw anyway but damnit it offends me)

i guess what i could do is use aspnet_regiis to encrypt a copy of App.config (with connectionStrings in) and deploy that with release builds instead of the unencrypted copy, and keep both in the project?

idk i've never messed with nontrivial builds/deployment in VS so I'm kinda flailing there, too

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

i appreciate all the discussion this page but it has left me more confused than before re:

The Azure thing made sense, but as usual I'm hampered by working on an airgapped network (e: said airgapping is why no one's given a poo poo about the plaintext pw, also it's an internal app and everyone knows the pw anyway but damnit it offends me)

i guess what i could do is use aspnet_regiis to encrypt a copy of App.config (with connectionStrings in) and deploy that with release builds instead of the unencrypted copy, and keep both in the project?

idk i've never messed with nontrivial builds/deployment in VS so I'm kinda flailing there, too

You can encrypt it, but ultimately if an application running on a system can access the secret, then any user with the same privileges as the application can access it using the same technique.

Encryption is one way to stop users from just poking around in config files and reading the secrets in plain text, but ultimately they also have to have access to the decryption keys via the application.

It really just boils down to deciding what level of obfuscation is necessary based on the sensitivity of the information and the capabilities of your users.

If you're concerned that a user of your application could use these secrets to obtain information they should not have access to under any circumstances (even via the application) then your main focus should be to implement more granular permissions via user credentials. A user that should not see certain information should never be given credentials that are capable of accessing that information, even via the application.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

i just remembered we used to also use a really lovely "solution" to app access by putting the credentials in a separate app.config on a remote location that was limited to only allow the account running the [iis] service to access it, the theory being that if you couldn't access that account then you couldn't get the creds.

also when we did the "encrypted config" thing i learned that the offshore devs were just typing in the creds plaintext on each deploy and then encrypting on first run instead of maintaining the encrypted section between deployments so they knew them all, defeating the entire point of encrypting it in the first place lmao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if they already have access to the plaintext creds then its effectively the same thing from a security standpoint. the encryption is the same, but the key is different.

also the key protection in the .net/iis rsa protector is identical to the theory behind storing a separate app.config. the rsa keys are litterrally stored on the file system using ACLs to grant machine or user specific access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Shaggar posted:

if they already have access to the plaintext creds then its effectively the same thing from a security standpoint. the encryption is the same, but the key is different.

also the key protection in the .net/iis rsa protector is identical to the theory behind storing a separate app.config. the rsa keys are litterrally stored on the file system using ACLs to grant machine or user specific access.

oh poo poo yeah i remember now that it was the remote config thing first then the proper encryption later...then the actual better way where nobody needs access because the creds are outside the config entirely.

ofc the original details are still in SVN because nobody knows how to change the passwords without loving poo poo up lol

• Locked thread