Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I dunno where I got it from but I use it to describe what movement in this game feels like - I'm a potato bumping into other potatoes and not really interacting with anything. This contrasts with, well, every other game since the 90s where you feel like a person because it's a finished product by the time you play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Astarath posted:

They were called tomatoes during vanilla because when you get disarmed your fists glow red - shortened form of "tomato fists of fury", and noone pvped as a warrior without death grips or a weapon chain if you had any idea what you were doing.

Wrong game

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

Is it really? I cant play this ready for release game now!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Notes say vaulting on test server in early November. That seems... optimistic.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

ChesterJT posted:

Notes say vaulting on test server in early November. That seems... optimistic.

some GAMING JOURNALIST already played the vaulting build a while back so it seems about right

apparently they finally updated their unreal engine version in house so that's why they haven't been able to push dev updates to live for a while. im excited at least!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
knowing bluehole they probably just gave the gaming journalist a copy of mirror's edge in a pubg box and called that their vaulting demo

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I can’t even imagine the next-level strats that will come out once the vaulting update hits

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

knowing bluehole they probably just gave the gaming journalist a copy of mirror's edge in a pubg box and called that their vaulting demo
Why not just nick Mirrors Edge assets and drop them into the game?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Was talking to my buddy who was adamant that PUBG was coming to console this year. I laughed in his face.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Rex-Goliath posted:

I can’t even imagine the next-level strats that will come out once the vaulting update hits

Probably the same level strats happening right now with crouch jumping

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Astarath posted:

No its just straight up referring to Downs and being slow, it always has (slow computer being "a potato" is just a thing by itself? really?)
yeah really

I've heard that tons of times and have never heard of this downs potato thing

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

It's taking them forever because they're worried that if you vault onto certain structures/parts of structures its going to be too powerful or something. In the meantime, they've forgotten that the entire game is based off of an anti-camping mechanic called the circle, so even if they get on some ridiculous roof with cover from all sides, they're still going to have to move at some point, unless they get incredibly lucky with circles over and over again.

So, they'll obsess over this instead of nerfing the Mini-14's velocity or making the Vector some what usable again. On the plus side, the armor glitch fix is probably a needed change, although its certainly more frustrating when its taking me 5 hits to kill someone because hitting their arm blocks me from hitting their torso or head.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
It's 50 times more likely that they are worried about people becoming stuck or falling out of the map, either of which will end your game in the absolute worst way

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
I fear for the vaulting update. Of course the movement mechanics are pretty rough poo poo in certain areas at the moment but it gives a certain sense of you navigating the terrain, not just you skating across and up surfaces with a few animations covering the transitions which the vaulting might bring.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

In 2018 we'll get vaulting and they will reveal that for months they were actually just waiting for a rival battle royale game studio to develop vaulting and upload it to the Unreal Engine marketplace.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I hope they go the other way and we get essentially 100 player Mirror's Edge with everyone backflipping off buildings and cartwheeling through windows

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

if we could all be jumpfuckers equally that would be ideal

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

tote up a bags posted:

I hope they go the other way and we get essentially 100 player Mirror's Edge with everyone backflipping off buildings and cartwheeling through windows

this but on the new map

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

tote up a bags posted:

So basically this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWU9yK79b64
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgkEj1JBFPI

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Oh poo poo, had forgotten about that game. Animation cancelling heaven that was, albeit fairly RSI inducing.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

If they blended the animation from jumping to prone like in CoD: Black Ops, that'd be pretty loving dope.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I was gonna joke about asking when they are gonna have full VR support, but given the way my heartrate goes up when I get to the final 10, I would probably loving pass out, this is the only game that has ever gotten me into it like that

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joe Gillian posted:

If they blended the animation from jumping to prone like in CoD: Black Ops, that'd be pretty loving dope.

they can't even blend the animation from walking to strafing

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
At pax Australia the biggest game is easily pubg right now. The squads tourney filled up immediately. Filled up with garbage that is, because we won.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Can't wait for vaulting but there goes all of the time I spent practicing crouch jumping without a bind. Over and over!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Maybe someday we will be able to open windows in buildings.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I have been thinking that being able to board up doors/windows with weak planks would be neat. You would have to find and carry the hammer, nails and planks though. Could be a simple way to let players alter the flow of an area by blocking one or more pathways.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

You should try to avoid thinking in the future IMHO

How about claymores instead (the sword not the explosive trap)

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Space Skeleton posted:

I have been thinking that being able to board up doors/windows with weak planks would be neat. You would have to find and carry the hammer, nails and planks though. Could be a simple way to let players alter the flow of an area by blocking one or more pathways.

What is it about this game that provokes the stupidest ideas about how to make it better?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I want caltrops/spike strips i can lay down in the road to gently caress up people driving over bridges.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Some way to interact with the map beyond opening/closing/destroying doors would be cool. :shrug:

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
How about some wire to combine with a frag to boobytrap a doorway?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
how about defenders already have enough of an advantage without idiot boobytraps and spike strips

hope the next pubg clone runs better, smoother, and has bc2 style spotting triangles

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

So, they'll obsess over this instead of nerfing the Mini-14's velocity

Shut your whore mouth. Don’t take the only reason I can hit moving targets away from me.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

My suggestion that I've made before is that there should be a guaranteed gas can drop at every gas station on the map. So, you know if you are low on gas that you can go somewhere that (should) have some. Also, what about having a tire changing kit out in the world, so if you are in a car and the tire gets blown out you can sit in the car and "fix" the tire, similar to how you fill the car with gas.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Spare tires you can carry like gas cans actually doesn’t sound stupid.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It should basically have all the movement options that mgs5 has. I feel the opposite, like I don't feel like a person moving at all. You aren't gliding like in CS but wobbling like, well, a potato. I would love backflips and walljumps other crazy poo poo more than realism but at the very least, make me feel like I'm in a place interacting with it and not just bumping into non-moving rectangles.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It should basically have all the movement options that mgs5 has. I feel the opposite, like I don't feel like a person moving at all. You aren't gliding like in CS but wobbling like, well, a potato. I would love backflips and walljumps other crazy poo poo more than realism but at the very least, make me feel like I'm in a place interacting with it and not just bumping into non-moving rectangles.

Honestly I know it feels janky but much like ARMA I think most of it is actually the lack of responsiveness because of (realistic) inertia to the movement. I like twitchy BF1 style games too but I kinda like the realism angle to this game... it's kinda like someone finally made an ARMA-style game that's actually fun.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Ether Frenzy posted:

It comes from the old saxon word "Taters" which was a curse word that french longbowmen yelled after shooting bad shots in the Battle of Hastings

If I invent a time machine and the two buttons on it are KILL HITLER and MAKE THIS EXPLANATION REAL, I would be in a real pickle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Jarmak posted:

Honestly I know it feels janky but much like ARMA I think most of it is actually the lack of responsiveness because of (realistic) inertia to the movement. I like twitchy BF1 style games too but I kinda like the realism angle to this game... it's kinda like someone finally made an ARMA-style game that's actually fun.

Warfare and Life in Arma 2 were fun as gently caress.

• Locked thread