Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Inescapable Duck posted:

It's not like people that age (and also other ages) don't frequently do equally stupid things because ~I'm in love~.

That's been a pretty common plot since at least Romeo and Juliet, and most definitely has been happening since Ogg first told his cavedad about how he's going to ditch his safe and prosperous cave to be with his ~soulmate~ out in the middle of buttfuck nowhere.

Edit: goddamnit thats what i get for not refreshing before posting

Don Gato has a new favorite as of 08:17 on Oct 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Len posted:

You guys got me trying to track down a show from the mid 90s now and I'm having no luck.

It was a power rangers esque show with teenagers who fight bad guys in robots(?) and all I remember about it was I saved up to get the combining action figure set and it was no articulation and was super boring. I want to say the legs were formed out of a tank like vehicle that slid over an Ultraman looking guys legs but I could be wrong.
That lovely robot was one of two toys I saved up to buy with my own money, and both of them sucked. The other was a NERF-style gun that shot discs but turned out to be absolute garbage quality.

The Megazord that I got as a gift was awesome though, as is the actual NERF equivalent of the lovely one I bought. So to any parents I say, don't let your kids spend their money on lovely knockoffs. Convince them to keep saving for the proper version to avoid disappointment.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Inescapable Duck posted:

Those were literal teenagers (albeit that was pretty normal for the setting/time period), so.

Isn't there literally a show airing titled 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend' from the perspective of one?

Yeah, but it's extremely self-aware in how hosed up that is, and also owns and is a musical and owns.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

Those were literal teenagers (albeit that was pretty normal for the setting/time period), so.

Isn't there literally a show airing titled 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend' from the perspective of one?
Watch Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, it is an excellent show.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLNa-ocdryY
Warms my cold Jewish heart every time.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

Does he burn a whole town or something because I don't remember anything about this weird rear end show.

IIRC he's the one who killed Winry's parents when he was literally dispatched to firebomb a volunteer hospital

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

So to any parents I say, don't let your kids spend their money on lovely knockoffs. Convince them to keep saving for the proper version to avoid disappointment.

Yeah, maybe.

I bought this

Instead of saving an extra month for this

And while it did turn out disappointing, I certainly learned that lesson in a more visceral, lasting way than if I'd just been forced/convinced to wait.

Awesome fying space lions? Nah. Dumptruck.

It was still pretty good :unsmith:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Didn’t Felicity introduce us to JJ Abrams love of time travel and alternate timelines ? I never watched the show but heard it got weird.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Not Night Court, because that's still good.

Please donate to my "convince Netflix to pick up Night Court via a series of very polite letters" campaign. We need dosh for fancy stationary and one of those space pens.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Volcott posted:

Not Night Court, because that's still good.

Please donate to my "convince Netflix to pick up Night Court via a series of very polite letters" campaign. We need dosh for fancy stationary and one of those space pens.

Night Court when it's in "who gives a gently caress, let's put on a show" mode is hilarious. But, in true 80s sitcom fashion, it just had to occasionally include those Serious Moments and boy, they sure drag the whole thing down a bit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

My guess is that since Felicity is about a smart high school girl that gave up all her plans to be with a guy that she has a crush on, that today that wouldn't be an acceptable show in our society. But even the day Felicity started airing the critics were saying the premise was dumb as hell.

I dunno, this just sounds like My Crazy Ex Girlfriend to me.

edit: oh, so I'm not the first to notice that

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The decision to start on the 2nd episode of Escaflowne isn't even in the top 10 stupid decisions they made in adapting it for SatAM children's television. (For the record, #1-#9 are all 'trying to adapt Escaflowne for SatAM children's television in the first place.' )

This is real good, though. I have a soft spot for any sitcom that regularly tries to bust out musical numbers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Nobody wants to make television easily available down under, but Crazy Ex-Girlfriend does sound like my jam. I find crazy people to be identifiable protagonists. And hey, it's Yellow Diamond.

I'm reminded of someone saying how the crazy woman in Fatal Attraction was harder to kill than some slasher movie antagonists. Any other particular standout depictions of crazy/vindictive/murderously violent ex-girlfriends that come off as kind of amazingly sexist in retrospect? (Not that you don't get that in real life all too often, but thinking more where they're depicted as a genre of horror movie monster)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Inescapable Duck posted:

Nobody wants to make television easily available down under, but Crazy Ex-Girlfriend does sound like my jam.
Both seasons are on (Australian) Netflix.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

RC and Moon Pie posted:

As I said, I haven't watched enough Lucy to know if she does have her moments of genius or if 95% of the time she portrayed as flighty as all the clip shows show her. The latter approach never appealed to me at all - even as an ardent lover of the Three Stooges, the clips I saw of Lucy were too silly and no matter how accomplished Ball was that didn't age well.

Lucy suffers the same fate as a lot of legendary comedy greats: her work was so groundbreaking and inspired so much in its footsteps that the original thing no longer seems impressive. Coming it after having already seen countless derivatives it feels stale and overdone in comparison because comedians have had decades to build upon and refine it. It's hard to recapture the context it existed in when it was completely fresh.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Apropos of nothing else, I remembered that show Viper, which was about the coolest Dodge Viper full of gadgets ever. I'm sure it hasn't aged a day.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think like in my head I accepted the world of FMA as an alternate reality to our own because there were a lot of themes similar to WW2 like the "totally not Jewish/Roma" analogue, similar to like Valkyria chronicles. So jumping over to our timeline I dunno...worked for me?

The thing is I know I saw Conqueror of Shamballa but I cannot remember a single loving thing about it which seems so weird now that you're telling me all this poo poo.

Yea, it kinda worked at the time because it was treated as an actual alternate universe, complete with alt-Roy, Bradley, and Alphonse. The big revelation was that Alchemy was powered by deaths in "our" world.

Shamballa is about the Thule Society trying to open the Gate from "our" side. Envy and Hohenheim had come through the Gate, too, and Hohenheim told Thule all about his homeworld, so they want in on that to reach "Shamballa" and gear up for Hitler's revolution. Because Hohenheim is full of good ideas.

Thule opens a small version of the Gate, and sends soldiers through, but they get twisted and mutated by the things within the Gate. Al has since learned how to attach parts of his soul to armor to create puppets, and sends a suit through the portal and meets Ed again. Gate shuts off and Thule wants to try again, but by using all of Envy and Hohenhiem's life force next time. Hohenheim and Envy are sacrificed by Thule, and Wrath and Gluttony are sacrificed by Al, to open the Gate again. Thule's next invasion is successful and the invasion force's commander gains the use of Alchemy. Fighting happens. Thule gets stopped, Ed and Al decide to remain in "our" world (someone has to be on "our" side to close the Gate on that side), Ed and Roy seal the Gate, Hohenheim and the Homunculi are all dead, those left in the FMA world go on with their lives, and the film (and the first anime series) ends.

Rangpur posted:

The decision to start on the 2nd episode of Escaflowne isn't even in the top 10 stupid decisions they made in adapting it for SatAM children's television. (For the record, #1-#9 are all 'trying to adapt Escaflowne for SatAM children's television in the first place.' )

Reminds me of when Cardcaptor Sakura got edited and rewritten to try to make Lee the main character, instead of Sakura. I think they also cut out the really questionable romance subplots, which was a good idea, though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

John Murdoch posted:

Apropos of nothing else, I remembered that show Viper, which was about the coolest Dodge Viper full of gadgets ever. I'm sure it hasn't aged a day.

VIPER and it's contemporary MANTIS were the Agents of SHIELD of their day.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Schubalts posted:

Reminds me of when Cardcaptor Sakura got edited and rewritten to try to make Lee the main character, instead of Sakura. I think they also cut out the really questionable romance subplots, which was a good idea, though.

When Dragon Ball Z got really huge on Cartoon Network in the late 90s, every other channel tried to get a piece of it. I remember Fox Kids had Sailor Moon and Nickelodeon had Cardcaptors, but I remember that they were both advertised as though they were action cartoons for boys like DBZ, when that's not really either of them.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
They turned the lesbian couple in Sailor Moon season whatever into cousins, but kept a scene where they handfuck in.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
A lot of 2003 FMA seems like it was depressing just to be depressing. Like if at the last second they revealed that everyone was in hell, it'd wouldn't be that much of a shocker.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Gaunab posted:

A lot of 2003 FMA seems like it was depressing just to be depressing. Like if at the last second they revealed that everyone was in hell, it'd wouldn't be that much of a shocker.

Man, Rose did not deserve what happened to her.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Wheat Loaf posted:

When Dragon Ball Z got really huge on Cartoon Network in the late 90s, every other channel tried to get a piece of it. I remember Fox Kids had Sailor Moon and Nickelodeon had Cardcaptors, but I remember that they were both advertised as though they were action cartoons for boys like DBZ, when that's not really either of them.

I could've sworn Cardcaptors was either also Fox Kids or was Kids WB. But yeah, they really tried to market that as a show for boys, and I think tried to air it after Digimon or Pokémon to try and capture that same audience. Not sure whether it worked.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

When I saw it, it aired before Monster Rancher, which did not shy away from acknowledging that Monsters were completely sentient and were being killed constantly.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Schubalts posted:

When I saw it, it aired before Monster Rancher, which did not shy away from acknowledging that Monsters were completely sentient and were being killed constantly.

Except the ones that were immoral.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Schubalts posted:

That show actually prompted me to buy one of the playstation games. 2 maybe? It was pretty fun trying every single CD in the house until I ran out and still hadn’t generated that many legitimately cool monsters. Plus my father was pissed every couple of days because he couldn’t find whatever stupid “contemporary christian” album he wanted to praise Jesus to at that particular moment.

I don’t think I’ll ever forget the theme song, but I can’t imagine the show has held up.

…has it?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

lemon-lyme disease posted:

That show actually prompted me to buy one of the playstation games. 2 maybe? It was pretty fun trying every single CD in the house until I ran out and still hadn’t generated that many legitimately cool monsters. Plus my father was pissed every couple of days because he couldn’t find whatever stupid “contemporary christian” album he wanted to praise Jesus to at that particular moment.

I don’t think I’ll ever forget the theme song, but I can’t imagine the show has held up.

…has it?

Except for Terminator 2, nothing you saw during your childhood quite holds up.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
That can’t be true. Whether that’s because I saw a lot of cool stuff or, more likely, have really low standards? a lot of stuff still brings the sweet, sweet nostalgia.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Volcott posted:

Except for Terminator 2, nothing you saw during your childhood quite holds up.

Marx Brothers movies, Garfield and Friends, and Looney Tunes do.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Marx Brothers movies, Garfield and Friends, and Looney Tunes do.

The only things I remember from Garfield and Friends are Garfield preventing and alien invasion by convincing the alien that earthlings are all fat and lazy, him turning the yard into a jungle to get free pizza, and that a group of friends can never agree on pizza toppings.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Ujh79pkwg
GARF

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SpacePig posted:

I could've sworn Cardcaptors was either also Fox Kids or was Kids WB. But yeah, they really tried to market that as a show for boys, and I think tried to air it after Digimon or Pokémon to try and capture that same audience. Not sure whether it worked.

Ah, I remember Cardcaptors being on Nickelodeon in the UK so it was probably somewhere different in America.

The other one I remember being really big when I was younger alongside Dragon Ball Z was Gundam Wing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Batman TAS has held up very well. Gargoyles almost as well.

I wonder about ExoSquad because I haven't seen it since it aired but my memory of it, at least, is pretty badass.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

The Bloop posted:

Batman TAS has held up very well. Gargoyles almost as well.

I wonder about ExoSquad because I haven't seen it since it aired but my memory of it, at least, is pretty badass.

ExoSquad holds up pretty decently except for that bullshit cliffhanger 'ending'.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Why didn't they just shoot Carmen Sandiego?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Volcott posted:

Why didn't they just shoot Carmen Sandiego?

Because they’re ACME Detective Agency. Extrajudicial killing is SEA PATROL’s jurisdiction, and while Carmen Sandiego may be many things, a goddamn scoobydoo isn’t one of them.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Blue Moonlight posted:

Because they’re ACME Detective Agency. Extrajudicial killing is SEA PATROL’s jurisdiction, and while Carmen Sandiego may be many things, a goddamn scoobydoo isn’t one of them.

P. sure she stole the great barrier reef one time.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I just remembered the Mummies Alive cartoon. I remember it being kickass when I was a kid. I'm absolutely terrified to track it down now.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

I just remembered the Mummies Alive cartoon. I remember it being kickass when I was a kid. I'm absolutely terrified to track it down now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7C0arR310g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Leavemywife posted:

It's pretty bad