Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Guy A. Person posted:

So what you're saying is you just needs dozens of hours of setup to get to one good movie

Hmm sounds right

No I'm saying that particular movie probably requires a greater amount of context than many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Al Borland Corp. posted:

No I'm saying that particular movie probably requires a greater amount of context than many.

I disagree. The flashback sets up the entire story. I can't think of anything that expressly needed a setup other than "Batman in the future". A setup movie would consist of... what? Establishing the craziness of the Joker? The gruffness of Bruce?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Dr. Manhattan, a character who most certainly does not go too far or lose touch with ethics at any point in Watchmen

oh wait, the literal opposite of that is true and his whole arc is about him losing his humanity

I don't think Sir Kodiak was disagreeing with the poster they quoted.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Glasses League.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I know I was just going for a marvel joke and whiffed

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Inescapable Duck posted:

The Glasses League.

Shouod expect the movie to be a spectacle then.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Return of the Joker is good. Not BvS good. But good. And more importantly, it proved American Akira can be done.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Glasses look loving ridiculous, Danny Elfman turned in a bad score that makes the Avengers soundtrack seem inspired, and there's a solid chance that this the last appearance of Affleck as Batman, which will be a shame.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Detective No. 27 posted:

Return of the Joker is good. Not BvS good. But good. And more importantly, it proved American Akira can be done.

Didn't they actually have the animator from Akira for *that scene*? I seen to recall them talking about it on the commentary

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Hahaha the bat-glasses look like trash. Shame on you, single goon who liked them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Didn't they actually have the animator from Akira for *that scene*? I seen to recall them talking about it on the commentary

Yeah.

The Tribune posted:

The orbital weapons platform that creates a beam of light before it destroys is taken from the 1988 Japanese animated film Akira (1988) as is the basic design for the orbital weapons platform itself. In fact, one of the directors of animation at Tokyo Movie Shinsa (the Japanese animation company where most of the film was done) was the actual animator of the scene in Akira (1988) when Kaneda was briefly chased by the beam from the orbital system. When the scene of Terry being chased by the beam came up, the director snagged the storyboarding duties on it for himself, under the auspices of aiming to top himself.

And the glasses look dorky, which is great since Batman's a dork now.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

dont even fink about it posted:

Glasses look loving ridiculous,

Batman is a man who dresses up as a bat. He always looks ridiculous.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Besides making Batman look goofy they've utterly failed to make Aquaman cool. Which to be honest is totally expected. I find it funny how often DC has tried to reinvent that character to make him cool or relevant. Honestly compared to grizzled grimdark harpoon arm Aquaman and surfer bro Aquaman, regular boring Aquaman looks perfectly serviceable.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
He doesn't look cool, he looks fun.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rough Lobster posted:

Besides making Batman look goofy they've utterly failed to make Aquaman cool. Which to be honest is totally expected. I find it funny how often DC has tried to reinvent that character to make him cool or relevant. Honestly compared to grizzled grimdark harpoon arm Aquaman and surfer bro Aquaman, regular boring Aquaman looks perfectly serviceable.

They just base the character on Momoa himself. He's a surfer, Aquaman is a surfer. Even Aquaman's tattoos and armor patterns are based on Momoa's actual tattoos.

Wouldn't be surprised if Affleck was told to incorporate his actual depression into Batman in BvS.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Is this the thread to talk about Thor: Ragnarok? Because if you liked the trailer, and if you liked What we do in the shadows, then you're going to like this film. Possibly a lot.

I know people have been saying Chris Hemsworth is a boring pretty boy actor, but I thought he was actually really good in this. The movie would have probably been better as a pure comedy without action, but I guess you can't have it all. That said, I liked the final action scene where Thor found his inner hammer and went super Sayan, with Led Zeppelin playing at maximum volume a lot.

Casting spoilers:It's also the second best movie to feature both Jeff goldblum and Sam Neill

EDITED to remove me mixing up captain America and Thor's actors

kanonvandekempen fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 27, 2017

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

kanonvandekempen posted:

That said, I liked the final action scene where Thor found his inner hammer and went super Sayan, with Led Zeppelin playing at maximum volume a lot.
I don't often have "Oh, gently caress yes!" moments during movies, but that was one of them.

One spoilerish thing regarding the ending: I'm wondering if it was in the original script that Loki was going to be on the ship at the end, or if it was part of the reshoots. Either I missed how he got on the ship, or they never showed it. It could be the latter because they wanted to keep it a surprise whether he was a hologram or not at the end. But still, something felt off at the big ensemble shot at the end where I felt as if the actor wasn't in the same room as the rest.

It could've also been the shoddy 3D projector at my cinema, because that was awful.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Possible Shazam easter egg in the Justice League trailer.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Inescapable Duck posted:

He doesn't look cool, he looks fun.
This.

Also, how is the deliberate choice of changing the usually white, blonde Aquaman into a darker-skinned, half-Polynesian one not relevant to today's society?

Equeen fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 27, 2017

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Baron von der Loon posted:

I don't often have "Oh, gently caress yes!" moments during movies, but that was one of them.

One spoilerish thing regarding the ending: I'm wondering if it was in the original script that Loki was going to be on the ship at the end, or if it was part of the reshoots. Either I missed how he got on the ship, or they never showed it. It could be the latter because they wanted to keep it a surprise whether he was a hologram or not at the end. But still, something felt off at the big ensemble shot at the end where I felt as if the actor wasn't in the same room as the rest.

It could've also been the shoddy 3D projector at my cinema, because that was awful.

The Marxist alien with the kiwi accent (played by the director) helps him get rid of the electro-thing, Loki looks at him and goes "You look like you need a leader"

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Did anyone catch anything else in Skurge's collection of treasure other than the scooter?

Serf
May 5, 2011

kanonvandekempen posted:

Is this the thread to talk about Thor: Ragnarok? Because if you liked the trailer, and if you liked What we do in the shadows, then you're going to like this film. Possibly a lot.

I know people have been saying Chris Evans is a boring pretty boy actor, but I thought he was actually really good in this. The movie would have probably been better as a pure comedy without action, but I guess you can't have it all. That said, I liked the final action scene where Thor found his inner hammer and went super Sayan, with Led Zeppelin playing at maximum volume a lot.

Casting spoilers:It's also the second best movie to feature both Jeff goldblum and Sam Neill

Captain America is in Thor: Ragnarok?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

The MSJ posted:

Possible Shazam easter egg in the Justice League trailer.

I'm pretty sure that guy is Zeus

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Just smash Moana and Maui together to get a good Aquaman.

The name 'Momoa' is basically Moana and Maui smashed together already, it's like poetry, it rhymes.

Klungar fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 27, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rough Lobster posted:

Jason Momoa is probably the coolest the character could ever possibly be.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
He's pretty much the only reason I'm interested in seeing Aquamoa And The Justice Aquabuds.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Maybe it's just me but I think Aquaman looks incredibly lame. The best thing that has been said about it is that Momoa looks like he's having fun, which granted is probably true.

Actually the only characters I'm not completely flat on so far are Flash, Wonder Woman, and the villain.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Aquaman doesn't need to be cool of relevant, all he needs is a good story. He's in many ways a more whimsical character than most popular superheroes these days, but that's a flaw only if you want a narrow range of characters.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The entire Rebirth run of Aquamen has been great with really good stories imo, at least up until June when I stopped reading due to money.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Lotta people think the Batman brave and the bold Aquaman is the best depiction of the character

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

All the hand-wringing over how to make Aquaman a great character and Hulk's just over in the Avengers movies grunting and smashing.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Calaveron posted:

Lotta people think the Batman brave and the bold Aquaman is the best depiction of the character

To be honest, Aquamomoa seems to have more in common with that Aquaman than the “grimdark” hook-handed one.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
stolen from shageletic in a diff thread

https://twitter.com/oldpicsarchive/status/923797433896796161

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Cooler than any on screen cowl so far.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

kanonvandekempen posted:

The Marxist alien with the kiwi accent (played by the director) helps him get rid of the electro-thing, Loki looks at him and goes "You look like you need a leader"
I meant after he awoke that ancient evil on Asgard and basically started Ragnarok.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
https://io9.gizmodo.com/heres-marvels-canceled-promo-comic-for-defense-contract-1819898744

The full first issue of the Northrop Grumman was leaked, and hoo boy. Basically, the Avengers are shown to be hilariously inept at their jobs and can't beat Red Ronin without the help of their good 'ol pals N.G.E.N. (Northrop Grumman Elite Nexus).

Quoted from the article: "It dresses up the idea of working for Northrop Grumman as a fantastical, superheroic adventure that belies the very sobering, real-world impacts that the defense contracting industry has."

Equeen posted:

To be honest, Aquamomoa seems to have more in common with that Aquaman than the “grimdark” hook-handed one.

I will now refer to this Aquaman as Aquamomoa from now on, because that's too perfect :lol:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

davidspackage posted:

He's pretty much the only reason I'm interested in seeing Aquamoa And The Justice Aquabuds.

Jason and the Aquanauts

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Baron von der Loon posted:

I meant after he awoke that ancient evil on Asgard and basically started Ragnarok.

Re loki:
He just flew back on the (Holden) Commodore - it's parked on top of the cargo ship in the final shots.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7imYeuAfkg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I finally found My Batman

quote:

The full first issue of the Northrop Grumman was leaked, and hoo boy. Basically, the Avengers are shown to be hilariously inept at their jobs and can't beat Red Ronin without the help of their good 'ol pals N.G.E.N. (Northrop Grumman Elite Nexus).

Quoted from the article: "It dresses up the idea of working for Northrop Grumman as a fantastical, superheroic adventure that belies the very sobering, real-world impacts that the defense contracting industry has."

"To me, my Gru Men!"

• Locked thread