Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

So apparently I misunderstood what the new targetting option actually does. The problem now is that I can't actually figure out what the mechanical difference between Ignore Depth and Cone targetting is.

Regardless of which is set, and no matter the camera angle or distance to target, when I press X I will target the thing my character is pointed at. This is.. not what I had hoped for. Where is the actual "target closest goddamn thing" option, yoship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Thundarr posted:

So apparently I misunderstood what the new targetting option actually does. The problem now is that I can't actually figure out what the mechanical difference between Ignore Depth and Cone targetting is.

Regardless of which is set, and no matter the camera angle or distance to target, when I press X I will target the thing my character is pointed at. This is.. not what I had hoped for. Where is the actual "target closest goddamn thing" option, yoship?

Isn't there a separate keybind for that?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Thundarr posted:

On a controller? Either Trigger+R1. That's what simulates the Tab targetting of the keyboard.

Worth noting that Cone is a cone in front of your characters face, so it can be a bit hard to work with in the Legacy movement scheme.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Reiterpallasch posted:

unending coil has a model for a golden super saiyan bahamut in the datamine, iirc

Something that needs to happen is that that Super Saiyan Bahamut is actually just the actual full-sized Bahamut and you still have to deal with Prime, Twin, and Nael's poo poo while Bighamut slows FPS to a crawl by slamming on the stage and poo poo.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I really think that this Bahamut fight is the best possible way to do insane content. It's not giving anyone any exclusive story. It's just giving a hard as gently caress fight to the people that want it.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Bolow posted:

Wipe in O2S at like 20% in this clear party on the first pull so everyone is feeling pretty good. Next pull the servers poo poo the bed and the group disbands because it's straight up unplayable :negative:

I also just realized Life Surge is an actual DPS cooldown and not a survival tool :downs:

Yep, went into O1S for the first time tonight, hit it a few times, then it lagged out for about a minute.

Cleared it very next pull, and I didn't even die!

Then i got blown up repeatedly in O2S, though we backed through it on third or fourth pull with me doing 2200 DPS :negative:

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Bolow posted:

Wipe in O2S at like 20% in this clear party on the first pull so everyone is feeling pretty good. Next pull the servers poo poo the bed and the group disbands because it's straight up unplayable :negative:

I also just realized Life Surge is an actual DPS cooldown and not a survival tool :downs:

Out of curiosity, before today, what did you think the point of everyone putting it in their opener guides was?

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Reiterpallasch posted:

unending coil has a model for a golden super saiyan bahamut in the datamine, iirc

Are we sure that isn't just Bahamut using Teraflare? I remember him turning gold when using it in T13.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Mordiceius posted:

I really think that this Bahamut fight is the best possible way to do insane content. It's not giving anyone any exclusive story. It's just giving a hard as gently caress fight to the people that want it.

You don't pay my sub

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

On a controller? Either Trigger+R1. That's what simulates the Tab targetting of the keyboard.

Worth noting that Cone is a cone in front of your characters face, so it can be a bit hard to work with in the Legacy movement scheme.

Well, what I'm looking for is if I have nothing targeted, I want to be able to press X and be confident that I'm targeting the thing that is actually closest to me. Not something half a mile away, or something random thing that leaves me tabbing through 5 monsters to get to what I want. Like if I'm fighting a ton of things, my current target dies, I want to just automatically target what is closest to me.

I seriously have no idea why the game is seemingly incapable of doing this.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Mister Olympus posted:

Out of curiosity, before today, what did you think the point of everyone putting it in their opener guides was?

I guess I kind of glossed over it and chalked it up to mitigating assorted raid damage at the time. Frankly I have no loving clue other than my stupidity

EDIT:

I really enjoy how exasperated your character gets at some of the bullshit you have to do for the Relic Weapons, and by extension this goofy rear end thing. Shame the tea kettle weapons are Monk only

Bolow fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 27, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They're a beautiful thing.

No FC garden is complete without the Kettle Nexus

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Got to see Ex-Death's enrage before servers went down, so i'm happy for our finally complete for once static :unsmith:

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Is it worth it to get one of the Level 60 boosters? I was debating getting the one for Scholar since Arcanist is the only class I haven't tried yet and would likely be the best value. Would that also let me skip right to Summoner since the level 30 Arcanist quest would be skipped?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

MelvinBison posted:

Is it worth it to get one of the Level 60 boosters? I was debating getting the one for Scholar since Arcanist is the only class I haven't tried yet and would likely be the best value. Would that also let me skip right to Summoner since the level 30 Arcanist quest would be skipped?

You'd get a free level 60 summoner with an Arcanist/Scholar boost potion, yes.

Be prepared to put a lot of time and effort into learning your class though. I would maybe suggest going through each of the final two Grand Company AI dungeons once on Scholar to get a grip of that and a hour or so on the striking dummy as a Summoner to get a grasp of that before going into a dungeon with either.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You'd get a free level 60 summoner with an Arcanist/Scholar boost potion, yes.

Be prepared to put a lot of time and effort into learning your class though. I would maybe suggest going through each of the final two Grand Company AI dungeons once on Scholar to get a grip of that and a hour or so on the striking dummy as a Summoner to get a grasp of that before going into a dungeon with either.

Thanks. I knew I was saving the more complicated jobs for last but wanted to make sure I got my money's worth if I got one. I'm probably run Arcanist through the PotD a few times to get a feel for the mechanics first.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Travel from the Gridania aetheryte to Apkallu Falls 20 times as your penance for skipping the summoner quests.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Saint Freak posted:

Travel from the Gridania aetheryte to Apkallu Falls 20 times as your penance for skipping the summoner quests.

The Dragoon quests would like a word with you :colbert:
Lost count of how many times I went all the way south only to be told to go all the way back to the north and then the hand in was all the way back to the south again.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

The Dragoon quests would like a word with you :colbert:
Lost count of how many times I went all the way south only to be told to go all the way back to the north and then the hand in was all the way back to the south again.

Yeah, but that's a straight shot you can alttab out and walk to, and no loading another zone.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Open New Tab it if it doesn't stretch out well.

Hiroro from 5150 alone has been getting more concurrent viewers on his stream than I've ever seen in total for FFXIV since the game rebooted so I'd say it's going to prove profitable because it's putting bums in seats and eyes on FFXIV, even before considering feedback from those who have played it

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug

Saint Freak posted:

I don't think the SMN quests will get skipped, only the ACN ones. Otherwise, why sell a boost for Summoner as well? Although you're right. I actually enjoy the job quest stories and will probably just get WHM to 60 for my Healer role and fill in the others when time permits.

Any advise for getting for endgame healing?

e.: I'm still going to try that run though for fun.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I've had this SMN crystal gathering dust in my inventory ever since i switched my main from BLM to SCH on heavensward, so now that the combats been changed up i'm giving it a whirl. It's actuall a lot of fun! And it makes swapping queues between it and SCH so much easier now as I level it, since they removed the need to carry around 99 keepers hymns every time i felt like switching (which was never, it turns out).

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
SMN is a lot better in 4.1 compared to how it was when Stormblood first hit. I think they still need to reevaluate what they want the class to be though. 1-50 is basically Warlock with a pet. They had a good thing from 50-60 in the sense that everything revolved around this new Bahamut mode.

But instead of building on Bahamut mode in 60-70, they were just like "take this Blue Bahamut out of loving nowhere that operates mostly independent of Dreadwyrm Trance (outside of burning it twice) and doesn't really interact with Aetherflow all that much. It's also very clingy and needy despite how its attack range is an Aaron Rodgers Hail Mary pass."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think SMN is mechanically strong right now but they've still done a remarkably poo poo job of making it feel like summoner. You could change it to, I don't know, Green Mage and change Bahamut-Egi to a big rainbow carbuncle and it wouldn't change how the class feels at all. Which is disappointing because most classes do a reasonably good job of feeling properly thematic (at least at 70.) Dragoon spews dragon goo everywhere and jumps a bunch, Dark Knight is all up on your face and eats attacks while using that to fuel more attacks, Black Mage is explosions everywhere, and Summoner is... mostly applying Debuffs and Ruin.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

MechaX posted:

SMN is a lot better in 4.1 compared to how it was when Stormblood first hit. I think they still need to reevaluate what they want the class to be though. 1-50 is basically Warlock with a pet. They had a good thing from 50-60 in the sense that everything revolved around this new Bahamut mode.

But instead of building on Bahamut mode in 60-70, they were just like "take this Blue Bahamut out of loving nowhere that operates mostly independent of Dreadwyrm Trance (outside of burning it twice) and doesn't really interact with Aetherflow all that much. It's also very clingy and needy despite how its attack range is an Aaron Rodgers Hail Mary pass."

Yeah, just dumping the skill on you is done super awkwardly. Was 60-70 the part though where they look at you with like a DBZ scouter and your power aether level just reads like UNLIMITED or something though, because that was rad.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I liked level SMN up to 60, but I haven't gone back for it since Stormblood hit because I never liked it as much as NIN. Even now, I'd rather finish off DRK to 70 than go back for SMN. And I'll probably never touch SCH because I'm afraid of healing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've used Summon Bahamut an entirety of once on my Summoner and it doesn't have much visual feed back it's doing something (I might have been doing something wrong), it just looks like it's barking and then it goes away.

It's a good idea executed extremely poorly, it seems.

SonicRulez posted:

And I'll probably never touch SCH because I'm afraid of healing.

You shouldn't be because healing is super easy and on SCH the fairy still does a lot of it for you.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 27, 2017

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have a pld buddy I play with and I'd prefer to go rdm in ex trials and learning raids for clutch rezzes, Smn in dungeons for the sick aoe, and sch any time I can't go with my friend for queue times.

But he's the only tank I trust so I wind up just messing with glamours and doing easy stuff in 8 man parties when he's not on since I have a heal buddy to share blame with. Doing relevant ex's as a healer would scare me shitless. I've seen those tank busters...

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I've used Summon Bahamut an entirety of once on my Summoner and it doesn't have much visual feed back it's doing something (I might have been doing something wrong), it just looks like it's barking and then it goes away.

Be sure to use its super strong attack immediately when you summon it so you can get it off twice in a single summon. Other than that you're doing things right and bahamut's auto attack-equivalent is extremely boring to look at, which is really weird since it's supposed to be the strongest summon so far. Yoshi P, pretty colors are how we FFXIV players measure power!!!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gloomy Rube posted:

Be sure to use its super strong attack immediately when you summon it so you can get it off twice in a single summon. Other than that you're doing things right and bahamut's auto attack-equivalent is extremely boring to look at, which is really weird since it's supposed to be the strongest summon so far. Yoshi P, pretty colors are how we FFXIV players measure power!!!

Yoship’s main class is BLM so yes he knows.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

SonicRulez posted:

And I'll probably never touch SCH because I'm afraid of healing.

WHM is my go to for relaxing dungeon runs. Also holy and assize are the best skills and make it worth leveling whm for those alone.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Brainamp posted:

WHM is my go to for relaxing dungeon runs. Also holy and assize are the best skills and make it worth leveling whm for those alone.

I'd wish WHM didn't have such a dumb-looking weapon ready stance.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Apparently I'm an rear end in a top hat for wanting to votekick some dude in Pharo Sirius who's in literal level 28 gear :shrug:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Some people just don't want to hear the truth.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Bolow posted:

Apparently I'm an rear end in a top hat for wanting to votekick some dude in Pharo Sirius who's in literal level 28 gear :shrug:

For a brief, short, happy moment, I thought you meant Temple of Qarn for some reason, then the full horror of the truth dawned on me.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Bolow posted:

I straight up left a Stone Vigil after noticing the BLM was doing no damage because they were in level 15 sprout gear and were only casting Fire. Forget vote kicking, that's a sign from the Twelve to get out.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

As a DRK what exactly is the point of Unleash after you have abyssal drain? Just snap aggro on poo poo that spawns like an easier to use Overpower?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bolow posted:

As a DRK what exactly is the point of Unleash after you have abyssal drain? Just snap aggro on poo poo that spawns like an easier to use Overpower?

Unleash is a bit easier to use for your initial aggro grab I've found, though YMMV.

It's also a little better as a panic button since it doesn't have to be targeted but to be honest I can't imagine Dark Knight ever have aggro control problems.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
resist materia are back, my friends, in ultimate bahamut progression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The only aggro control problem a DRK will ever have is pulling with bottomed-out MP.