Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Does Kemmler have Krell yet? Does he have his skill buffing Krell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

flaming now applies burn which gives negative moral.

Only for specific flamethrower units IIRC, unless they added that to Knights of the Burning Sun and Glade Guard with Starfire and that Dwarf Warrior Regiment of Renown and such.

Randarkman posted:

Does Kemmler have Krell yet? Does he have his skill buffing Krell?

No, avoid OG vampire counts for now and play as Vlad and Isabella

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

DeathSandwich posted:

So out of curiousity since I've never figured it out, What's the benefit of magical attacks vs non-ghosts? Does it bypass physical resistance? I'm figuring Ward saves work vs everything?

Also if anyone is curious, Orion's updated hounds ability is profoundly lethal, I dropped it in a big mob of orcs and wound up racking up like 120 kills.

There's a fair number of other units that have phys res, savage orcs come to mind. Ethereals are just notable for having so much phys res and so little health

E also what units actually have fire res out of the box?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The spells from WH1 got buffed for ME as well, right? No need to mod?

And does anyone know if there's something like Gejnor's "gain artifacts at appropriate rank without quest objectives" yet? e; found one, here for anyone else interested

e; and gently caress it let's make it three for three, how do I get Skarsnik started dear lord should I just start by sacking the brets? Empire is much nastier without secessionists to deal with

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 27, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DeathSandwich posted:

Only for specific flamethrower units IIRC, unless they added that to Knights of the Burning Sun and Glade Guard with Starfire and that Dwarf Warrior Regiment of Renown and such.

No, avoid OG vampire counts for now and play as Vlad and Isabella

Mannfred is still fine. As he was already solid enough to not really need any updates. (Having an extra lore of magic was really good to him.)

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Ravenfood posted:

Any preference on gutter runner slingers vs vanilla gutter runners? Fire while moving and the extra damage is nice, but the halved range and ammo count kind of hurts.

They're actually different units with different uses, rather than variations of each other. Slingers are used like normal ranged infantry, just set and forget them in your back lines. Vanilla runners are flanking units and the fire while move is used for harassing the enemy while you're getting into position.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Fired up a dwarven campaign, attempted to go north to take the big gold generating city just past the starting runelord quest spot. I took 4 catapults...... which simply ignored all orders to fire at siege towers, and would only march forward regardless of command. This seems to be the same "forgetting orders" issue but cranked to 11.

I mean holy gently caress, how does stuff this large get released? This is the type of bug QA would find immediately during internal playtests, so I can only assume it was punted for this release by their producers.

Excellent patch! "fixed" so many issues according to the notes!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Dwarves got rather interesting with Karaz a Karak getting more building slots.

Also, that airfield makes running Gyrocopters extremely good. With the gem mine giving bonuses to elite units, woodcutters benefitting crossbows /T1 artillery, Iron boosting melee infantry and salt boosting gunpowder/flame units it is extremely easy to get obscenely cheap high ranking units mid game. And you'll need it because Vampires become a bigger threat.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is it Warp Cannons or the catapult that is overpowered with Skaven? I've always assumed it was the catapult and brought most of that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dongattack posted:

Is it Warp Cannons or the catapult that is overpowered with Skaven? I've always assumed it was the catapult and brought most of that.

The Cannons are considered better. But they are both very solid and the cannons don't outright replace the Catapults.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Angry Lobster posted:

Please LP it and bring Coolguye along.

THAT ONE SURE AS poo poo WOULDNT BE CO-OP

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Cannons are considered better. But they are both very solid and the cannons don't outright replace the Catapults.

Ah okay, i'll skew my artillery ratio in favour of cannons then!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Fuligin posted:

The spells from WH1 got buffed for ME as well, right? No need to mod?

And does anyone know if there's something like Gejnor's "gain artifacts at appropriate rank without quest objectives" yet? e; found one, here for anyone else interested

e; and gently caress it let's make it three for three, how do I get Skarsnik started dear lord should I just start by sacking the brets? Empire is much nastier without secessionists to deal with

Raid Nuln early and extract money and levels for your +gobbo red line traits. Hit the dwarves in your starting province after and from there you should mostly be able to steamroll out from there. Your gobbo boys are loving obnoxiously dirt cheap so you can and should spin up a second Night Goblin Big Boss early so you can have him assist in battles and start gaining experience. Goblin armies only really start getting lethal around lord level 6 once you've maxed the goblin +attack +charge trait.

I don't normally roll with a lot of archers in gobbo armies, usually 2-3. They have such a high volume of fire that I don't like shooting them at melee lines even if I have the flank because too many strays go wide and start poisoning my own guys.

I also normally don't roll with a lot of Night goblins in general although with upgraded fanatics I may change my opinion on that when I get around to playing Skarsnik again. It's basically an argument for leadership vs stalk, and I'll already have a lot of stalk with my skulkers, who basically steal the show as stealth flankers after you get army wide poison rolling.

Going with that army wide poison and +MA/Charge bonus, wolf riders are actually really shocking good, especially for the cost.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I've usually gone 3 and 3 in my big armies. The cannons snipe monsters, lords, other artillery, cavalry if that looks scary etc. The catapults smash their oncoming infantry and make them break.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

RoyalScion posted:

Seems to be a bug in ME where chaos starts automatically at war with you, but nobody else; leading to 10 doomstacks kicking down your door as soon as you trigger the first invasion.

While later the in the game they pissed some others off and fought them too, it’s kind of grating to fight never ending hordes of chaos at your door.

A stealth preview of The Kislev Experience™ :ussr:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Coolguye posted:

THAT ONE SURE AS poo poo WOULDNT BE CO-OP

I don't care as long as we see elves getting turbo-murdered.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
A bit late, but here is the Skill Point Mod I talked about earlier:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1160589142

Lords get +2 points every even level
Heroes get +2 points every multiple of 5

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Any thoughts on Deathglobe Bombardiers Vs the warp flamethrowers? I've been using the warpthrowers so i don't really know how the grenadiers fare.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Mount Gunbad used to have a Gold Mine, and if you look at the settlement it has the little gold bar indicating a Gold Mine is present. However, all you have is the Brightstone Mine.

Previously, you had the Brightstone Mine AND the Gold mine, which was a really good deal and made this region strategically important. Did they forget to add it? Now if you want a gold mine you have to capture Black Crag or the Vampire Capital, which is a bummer.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dongattack posted:

Any thoughts on Deathglobe Bombardiers Vs the warp flamethrowers? I've been using the warpthrowers so i don't really know how the grenadiers fare.

Globadiers are about a billion times better. They don't get obstructed and come in 'fucks up Large' and 'fucks up Infantry' varieties.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
If you can get your warp fire throwers to shoot into the back of an infantry line they will melt whatever they're shooting at insanely quickly but bombardiers are better for shooting over your own line

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

Mount Gunbad used to have a Gold Mine, and if you look at the settlement it has the little gold bar indicating a Gold Mine is present. However, all you have is the Brightstone Mine.

Previously, you had the Brightstone Mine AND the Gold mine, which was a really good deal and made this region strategically important. Did they forget to add it? Now if you want a gold mine you have to capture Black Crag or the Vampire Capital, which is a bummer.

On a related note- has anybody else played Dwarfs in ME and if so do you feel like it's taking absolutely forever to get your economy at all functional? I can't tell if it's my time with the new races or if there's been an actual change but I'm barely affording a single real stack like 30 turns into the game.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Pendent posted:

On a related note- has anybody else played Dwarfs in ME and if so do you feel like it's taking absolutely forever to get your economy at all functional? I can't tell if it's my time with the new races or if there's been an actual change but I'm barely affording a single real stack like 30 turns into the game.

I tried it, and there are two key components to the early dwarven economy: Gunbad and Barak Varr Province. Gunbad is just a flat gold bonus, and barak varr gives you a port that opens up a ton of trade routes as well as giving you a bunch of trade resources in the province itself.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Pendent posted:

Karaz a Karak now starts at T1 instead of T2, which eats up a few turns. You're always going to be under pressure from Bloody Spears, and now Vampires can colonize Zhufbar territories which makes it likely your northern allies will get caved in before you are in a position to do anything about it. You are also hamstrung by having Barak Varr as your only port for a long time, and if a revolt or something besieges it all that sweet trade income goes right out the window.

On the flip side, a lot of buildings now significantly reduce recruitment cost of your units, and combined with stacking discounts from events and other ways of boosting veterancy, mid-late game you can rock dirt cheap elite units that are already at multiple silver chevrons of veterancy.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I tried it, and there are two key components to the early dwarven economy: Gunbad and Barak Varr Province. Gunbad is just a flat gold bonus, and barak varr gives you a port that opens up a ton of trade routes as well as giving you a bunch of trade resources in the province itself.

Ugh. I usually hate taking Barak Var because that sort of forces you to deal with the wide open part of the Badlands- I avoid those wide open spaces as much as possible until I can afford two or three stacks.

I prefer sticking my own conquests to the mountains and sending some gold over to Barak Var to they can keep the greenskins distracted while I hit critical mass. I just took Black Crag so I suppose I can begin pushing north a bit- I did make the mistake of confederating Zhufbar early on and haven't had the time or money to get a stack up there yet with all the pressure the Vampires are putting out.

The downside to going north is that I really want to drive south as quickly as possible so that I'm making contact with the Skaven and Lizardmen. Overall you're probably right though- Gunbad feels pretty important.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Started a dorf campaign and one of the first things I noticed was that Irondrakes seemed a lot more willing to fire into or near engaged friendlies than Warp Throwers :psydwarf::hf::negative:

Also the ME patch confirms that the Lord portraits dropped in quality for me between 1 and 2. It's not terrible, but I'd like to fix that at least outside of battle. Mannfred, for example, goes from looking like an undead monster to just someone that reads too much /pol.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

SirPhoebos posted:

Started a dorf campaign and one of the first things I noticed was that Irondrakes seemed a lot more willing to fire into or near engaged friendlies than Warp Throwers :psydwarf::hf::negative:

Also the ME patch confirms that the Lord portraits dropped in quality for me between 1 and 2. It's not terrible, but I'd like to fix that at least outside of battle. Mannfred, for example, goes from looking like an undead monster to just someone that reads too much /pol.

That's accurate though

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Irondrakes don't deal much damage to armored units though. And your dorfs are all decently wrapped in metal.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Just wait until you try flame cannons.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Fangz posted:

That's accurate though

That's why I put "just" in there :)

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

On the bright side, You aren't forcibly tied to Barak Varr for trade now that you can conquer and take over the Border Princes and establish land routes to Averland and the Western Dwarf factions. If you confederate Belegar from there, you're basically in trade distance of Nuln and potentially Orion if you've gotten him happy from all the greenskin and skaven you'll no doubt be fighting.

Edit: Are the OG race's legendary quests still obnoxious? Does Volkmar still have to go raiding kislev and the dwarves/greenskins have to send agents all over creation and back?

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 27, 2017

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

I like the total war games, but I wasn't into fantasy that much so I avoided warhammer. Then I decided to pick up the first one on sale.

I think I like fantasy now.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

What the hell am I supposed to do with Morathi in battles? She feels super weak compared to the other LLs, but I'm probably not using her correctly.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

took me 105 turns :negative:

k8p also has two nice building chains, both giving a grab bag of boons, including +relations to other skaven (lol theyre all fuckin dead), +movement in the region, income, a few other things i dont remember, and another +3 food to go along with the pasture it has as well.

i also had these two chowderheads be present in a gits army. they were not the leaders of the army, they just tagged along I guess??? in any case one imposter fell to queek, the other to some assassin, so, mystery, uh, sorted.

e: oh yeah by the time i killed kroq and got my rear end into the badlands brawl, the greenskins were down to four settlements and the dwarfs were ascendent with 23-ish and 1st power ranking. so of course im locked in an eternal hell war now with them instead of running off to take over athel loren and all its +food forest cities. and brettonias pastures. oh well.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 27, 2017

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Currently playing with Kroq Gar:

-Seriously, wipe out that other frog in the area. His province is waaay to rich and he basically never confederates because he is rich enough to eventually pop a Dino rite and then feels completely unthreatened.
-Kroq Gar vs. Vampire battles are fun. Lizards vs Orcs somehow feels like you can do everything the Orcs can do but better. Unless the Orcs have serious number advantadges. Sauri steamroll either pretty hard.
-Skaven are now more competent, but thats not going to save them.
-Due to all the undead remurdering and skaven splatting, the Dorfs in the north will like you even if you murder Karak Zorn (which you should, it is a gold mine),
-After I conquered the Southlands (should be fairly quick now, once you get rolling you can punk the various minors pretty quickly), I will do the Dino Rite, give the Dinos to Kroq Gar, and genocide Norsca.
Surtha Eks chariot stacks will do exactly nothing, and I much look forward to this.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, the whole "chaos invasion spawns three different groups of five or six hellstacks each, all of which are automatically at war with you and only you and ignore literally everything else to come gently caress your poo poo" is annoying as gently caress. Especially when they're packed with late game units and all I can field without going instantly bankrupt are loving bleakswords and poo poo.

The Chaos invasion from the first game was fun because you could basically plan around it. Everyone fought it. This one is just "lolololololololol you're the player so get fuuuuuucked nerd" where it's as if the rest of the loving world doesn't even see this massive pile of Chaos marching through their territory to come gently caress with me. That those stacks are ALSO blind to everything but me is loving terrible, too.

I don't see what was wrong with the first game's approach to the Chaos invasion. Why does the player need three different groups of doomstacks that, as far as the rest of the game is concerned, basically don't exist since no one else interacts with them? It's weird.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Okay so I lost that Dwarf Steamroller siege but managed to take over 1200 of them with me.

Looking around the map again I miscounted. There's around 8 full dwarf stacks in the north of the badlands, and that's just the ones I can see :stare:

How the hell did the AI get its economy together that fast. This is only on normal.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Dongattack posted:

I don't know why you would ever use warpfire throwers. They do less friendly fire damage, I guess? But Death Globes are so much more killy and so much easier to actually use that there is no contest here. Even if they do murder your entire front line in the process.

Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010
Some thoughts from my first ME campaign as Teclis and the Loremasters (only played the vortex campaign once as Malekith)

*The "Defeat Clan Mors" victory condition in the short campaign objectives seems a bit random. They are all the way across the map and Clan Pestilins seem like a much more natural target.

*Using Influence is a lot of fun. I quickly set up trade routes North and East and feel like a puppet master. For instance, I felt like a strong Empire would be beneficial in the late-game so I pulled some strings to speed them to good relations with the other Elector counts who they quickly confederated and blobbed. It's very cool to feel like I'm using subterfuge to affect factions all the way across the map.

*After taking out the Vampire Coast, I made friends with the lizards to the West and concentrated on economy and trade.

*Tyrion wasted no time in turning Ulthuan into a thunderdome and completely taking it over despite being allied to some of the other elves at various points.

*At around turn 45-50 a bunch of factions (seemingly randomly) declared war on me, ie. factions all the way across the map that aren't at war or allied to anyone else and that I have sailed past and nothing else. I'm wondering if this is scripted (maybe if the player is at peace too long).

*Despite having broadly similar stats, Swordmasters seem vastly better than the other HE elite infantry in terms of kills.

*Teclis seemed pretty fragile and poor at the beginning compared to Malekith but with skills, spells and items, he is becoming a real powerhouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Gonkish posted:

Yeah, the whole "chaos invasion spawns three different groups of five or six hellstacks each, all of which are automatically at war with you and only you and ignore literally everything else to come gently caress your poo poo" is annoying as gently caress. Especially when they're packed with late game units and all I can field without going instantly bankrupt are loving bleakswords and poo poo.

The Chaos invasion from the first game was fun because you could basically plan around it. Everyone fought it. This one is just "lolololololololol you're the player so get fuuuuuucked nerd" where it's as if the rest of the loving world doesn't even see this massive pile of Chaos marching through their territory to come gently caress with me. That those stacks are ALSO blind to everything but me is loving terrible, too.

I don't see what was wrong with the first game's approach to the Chaos invasion. Why does the player need three different groups of doomstacks that, as far as the rest of the game is concerned, basically don't exist since no one else interacts with them? It's weird.

They probably just goofed. I'd be shocked if it wasn't changed in the next few patches.

Did Searing Rain get buffed? Had a chaos rebellion led by a metal caster spawn and that guy did some loving work on my lizard garrison.

Also, lizards (especially saurus) are loving amazing to play.