Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

a7m2 posted:

Yeah that's fair. Maybe I'll just roll as Black Legion or maybe I'll make a slight variation on the black and gold colour scheme.

I mean it's less that it's a problem and more that if I meet someone who's got like, Ultramarines but running Raven Guard tactics or whatever, it's usually a sign that I'm about to play someone going hard in the paint because the strength of the special rules matters more to them than the army they play. That's not necessarily a bad thing if I'm looking for a serious game, but it might not be what I'm prepared for in a pick-up game.

If you want to run Black Legion but use some other tactics, there's fluff reasons to do it--warbands from every legion joined the Black Legion, you could claim likewise. But it's always gonna set off my bullshit alarm if I don't know you. And like I said, we'd still play. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Hell, I'd have a prize for best written army fluff instead of first place cash; really drive that point home.

"Celestine and Guilliman's wedding reception was crashed by the Eversor frat party, but they soon became best of friends..."

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

It's increasingly clear that the best way to run a tournament is to just have a small pot entry fee with a raffle for prize distribution; whichever one of you goons posted that last made some embittered, dying ember of my heart flare with hope for the hobby. Fun narrative lists crumping it up sounds way more fun than the Guilliman vs. Guilliman shite Naramyth and others keep showing.

Hell, I'd have a prize for best written army fluff instead of first place cash; really drive that point home.

The shop I go to in New Orleans has a 'Rogue Trader' tournament setup where best w/l is the lowest prize payout. Above it is best sportsman, best list, best painting and overall for a combination - with no player being able to take more than one prize. It's good times.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Naramyth posted:

He'd have won more if he had conscripts :v:

Perhaps, it might of been purely a matter of completely sacrificing defense for offense. The tactical marines do always have the option of hiding in their transports if you find yourself against a list that doesn't require a screening line. Conscripts on the other hand are kind of forced to burn out in the open regardless.

I really wish I could get my hands on all the other lists that were in attendance. When I ran this list at ATC what ended up kicking my rear end was Brimstone/Smite Spam back when Brimstones could smite and were cheaper (I also didn't have a Culexus) and a 100% artillery parking lot with Yarrick. I ran into Genestealer spam, and even with half my army tied up in melee the remaining guns were more than enough to obliterate my opponent's army.

I actually didn't write the list off after ATC, I had planned on taking it all over again, but simply with a Culexus in tow. Then the codex dropped and I tried Devastators with the banner and that didn't work out. Afterwards I was convinced to take scripts with Celestine, but if this guy was able to meet success with good-ole mechanized infantry it kind of makes me want to take it again, especially since I have all the models painted.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

The mark of quality - winning 6 games out of 5.

At 7 out of 5 an angel descends and crowns you best at toy soldiers.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Uroboros posted:

Perhaps, it might of been purely a matter of completely sacrificing defense for offense. The tactical marines do always have the option of hiding in their transports if you find yourself against a list that doesn't require a screening line. Conscripts on the other hand are kind of forced to burn out in the open regardless.

My understanding was that he wanted to absolutely maximize the value he was getting from Guilliman. The tactical marines did a decent job soaking up his opponents smites and the like and then had a much higher damage output than you'd get out of conscripts due to the rerolling wounds.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Can Deimos Predators use Killshot? I have dreams of killshot on 3 infernus predators. They have the predator keyword but the stratagem says "Predator" and not "PREDATOR"

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

chutche2 posted:

Can Deimos Predators use Killshot? I have dreams of killshot on 3 infernus predators. They have the predator keyword but the stratagem says "Predator" and not "PREDATOR"

Its unclear. FW certainly seems to think all those strats refer to keyword and not unit name, since they sell bundles named after the strategems.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

chutche2 posted:

If it says the unit name in normal casing, it means the individual unit. If it says it in ALL CAPS, it means the keyword. You can see this in the Guard book, which has multiple entries which refer to either "Infantry Squads" or "INFANTRY units."

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
From a few pages back, but an update on Deathwatch taking things: In the Index 1, it's stated "The following Space Marines datasheets can be from the Deathwatch. Those that are replace the <CHAPTER> keyword on their datasheet in all instances with DEATHWATCH. If a Space Marines Unit does not appear on the list below, it cannot be from the Deathwatch, and so cannot have the DEATHWATCH Faction keyword."

So yeah, can't take Leviathan Dreadnoughts, or Contemptor Dreadnoughts. Kind of a bummer, but hopefully with their codex they get access to some new toys.

I'm actually playing my first game with mine this weekend, 2000 Points. Excited to see how they play! I'm expecting to die pretty badly.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Pendent posted:

My understanding was that he wanted to absolutely maximize the value he was getting from Guilliman. The tactical marines did a decent job soaking up his opponents smites and the like and then had a much higher damage output than you'd get out of conscripts due to the rerolling wounds.

Yeah, this was basically my thought process originally, the problem appears when you need to be multiple locations and Guilliman can only be in one. I’ll think it over pretty heavily prior to the Renegade.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Zuul the Cat posted:

From a few pages back, but an update on Deathwatch taking things: In the Index 1, it's stated "The following Space Marines datasheets can be from the Deathwatch. Those that are replace the <CHAPTER> keyword on their datasheet in all instances with DEATHWATCH. If a Space Marines Unit does not appear on the list below, it cannot be from the Deathwatch, and so cannot have the DEATHWATCH Faction keyword."

So yeah, can't take Leviathan Dreadnoughts, or Contemptor Dreadnoughts. Kind of a bummer, but hopefully with their codex they get access to some new toys.

I'm actually playing my first game with mine this weekend, 2000 Points. Excited to see how they play! I'm expecting to die pretty badly.

It bums me out that they didnt give special issue ammo to everything with that list, thats half the fun of deathwatch.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Corrode posted:

The mark of quality - winning 6 games out of 5.

Was it a full 6 games? gently caress if I know about you UK scrubs

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Naramyth posted:

Was it a full 6 games? gently caress if I know about you UK scrubs

No it was 5, I was joking about winning more than he already had. I'm going to heat 3, six games would break me.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Zuul the Cat posted:

This was FAQ'd, DW can take anything in the FW book -

"Q: Are there any restrictions on which Chapter I can choose
when replacing the <Chapter> Faction keyword on datasheets
within this book?
A: Yes. You cannot choose for any of these units to be
from the Legion of the Damned or Grey Knights
Chapters. They can be from any other Chapter though,
including Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves
and Deathwatch"

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Time to load a Mastodon full of Frag Cannons and ram it through the nearest dirty Alien stronghold.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

xtothez posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/10/27/november-white-dwarf-preview-welcome-to-the-underhive-oct-27gw-homepage-post-4/

WD Preview confirms that Carnifexes get new 'Screamer-killer' and 'Thornback' datasheets, and that all the different head/bio-morph options in the kit 'now have an effect in games once again'.

Based on some CSI-style image enhancing posted on other forums, it looks like:
Spore cysts give -1 to hit on ranged attacks
Screamer-killers force +1 to leadership tests on nearby enemy units. They must be scary or something.
There's also an extra line of text on the Living Battering Ram rule that involves adding +1 to a dice roll. I expect that's what the Tusk head does.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

JoshTheStampede posted:

within this book?
and Deathwatch"

Wait, does that mean DW can take a Relic Contemptor / Contemptor Mortis, but not a regular Contemptor?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Giant Isopod posted:

Wait, does that mean DW can take a Relic Contemptor / Contemptor Mortis, but not a regular Contemptor?

Pretty much.

Relic Contemptor's cooler tho so w/e.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

It bums me out that they didnt give special issue ammo to everything with that list, thats half the fun of deathwatch.

Yeah, really weird oversight that the HQ units can't take special ammo for their stuff. *shrugs* I suppose a few more bolt pistols won't make that much of a difference.

JoshTheStampede posted:

within this book?
and Deathwatch"

Oh poo poo, okay. So I can take some FW stuff then, that's good.

The list i'm taking is:

HQ:
Terminator Librarian, Force Axe, Storm Bolter
Chaplain

Troops:
Killteam (10)
- Deathwatch Biker w/Teleport Homer, Power Axe
- Terminator w/Heavy Flamer and Powerfist + Meltagun
- Vanguard Veteran w/Lightning Claws
- Veteran w/Shotgun
- Veteran w/Stalker Pattern Boltgun
- Veteran w/Frag Cannon
- Veteran w/Frag Cannon
- Veteran w/Frag Cannon
- Watch Sergeant w/Xenophase Blade, Bolt Pistol

Killteam (5)
- Black Shield w/2 Power Swords
- Veteran w/SS + Power Maul
- Veteran w/Heavy Thunder Hammer
- Sergeant w/Power Sword + Bolt Pistol

Killteam (5)
- Veteran w/Power Sword + Plasma Pistol
- Veteran w/Power Maul + Bolt Pistol
- Veteran w/Power Sword + Bolt Pistol
- Veteran w/Chainsword + Bolt Pistol
- Veteran w/Combi-Melta

Elites
Deathwatch Terminators (5)
- Chainfist + Storm Bolter
- Power Sword+ Storm Bolter
- Power Fist + Storm Bolter
- Power Fist + Heavy Flamer
- Power Fist + Assault Cannon

Venerable Dreadnought
- CC Arm + Heavy Flamer
- Twin Lascannon

Fast Attack
Bikers (3) w/Teleport Homer, x3 Power Swords

Flyer
Corvus Blackstar w/Stromstrike Missile Launchers, Auspex array, Hurricane Bolter, Twin Lascannon

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Giant Isopod posted:

Yes, just like blood angels. I want to take normal contemptors so people don't get mad that my "unbalanced forgeworld" stuff is beating them, but still be able to use cool models.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Schadenboner posted:

Has anyone ever seen Super Mutant-colored orks done well?

I need inspiration and :google: has failed me.

So uh... green?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

xtothez posted:

Based on some CSI-style image enhancing posted on other forums, it looks like:
Spore cysts give -1 to hit on ranged attacks
Screamer-killers force +1 to leadership tests on nearby enemy units. They must be scary or something.
There's also an extra line of text on the Living Battering Ram rule that involves adding +1 to a dice roll. I expect that's what the Tusk head does.

-1 to hit Carnifexes stacked with a Malanthrope babysitter. Now if only they can hit on better than a 4+.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

Yes, just like blood angels. I want to take normal contemptors so people don't get mad that my "unbalanced forgeworld" stuff is beating them, but still be able to use cool models.

I really wish Forgeworld hadn't dropped the ball so badly with their Index. I love my Sicaran and, while it's actually pretty balanced, FW unit have such a stigma on them in friendly games around here such that I just don't bring it anymore.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Zuul the Cat posted:

Yeah, really weird oversight that the HQ units can't take special ammo for their stuff. *shrugs* I suppose a few more bolt pistols won't make that much of a difference.

Oh poo poo, okay. So I can take some FW stuff then, that's good.

The list i'm taking is:

HQ:
Terminator Librarian, Force Axe, Storm Bolter
Chaplain

Troops:
Killteam (10)
- Deathwatch Biker w/Teleport Homer, Power Axe
- Terminator w/Heavy Flamer and Powerfist + Meltagun
- Vanguard Veteran w/Lightning Claws
- Veteran w/Shotgun
- Veteran w/Frag Cannon
- Veteran w/Frag Cannon
- Veteran w/Frag Cannon
- Watch Sergeant w/Xenophase Blade, Bolt Pistol

Killteam (5)
- Black Shield w/2 Power Swords
- Veteran w/Heavy Thunder Hammer
- Sergeant w/Power Sword + Bolt Pistol

Killteam (5)
- Veteran w/Power Sword + Plasma Pistol
- Veteran w/Power Maul + Bolt Pistol
- Veteran w/Power Sword + Bolt Pistol
- Veteran w/Chainsword + Bolt Pistol
- Veteran w/Combi-Melta

Elites
Deathwatch Terminators (5)
- Chainfist + Storm Bolter
- Power Sword+ Storm Bolter
- Power Fist + Storm Bolter
- Power Fist + Heavy Flamer
- Power Fist + Assault Cannon

Venerable Dreadnought
- CC Arm + Heavy Flamer
- Twin Lascannon

Fast Attack
Bikers (3) w/Teleport Homer, x3 Power Swords

Flyer
Corvus Blackstar w/Stromstrike Missile Launchers, Auspex array, Hurricane Bolter, Twin Lascannon

Seems like with that much shooting itd make sense to find the 58pts to change the chaplain for a watch master for rerolling everything.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

TKIY posted:

-1 to hit Carnifexes stacked with a Malanthrope babysitter.

I'm not 100%, but I'm fairly certain that the second part of that blur states that Spore Cysts does not combine with the Spore Cloud ability from Venomthropes/Malanthropes. :(

Still, gettin' hyped already from the few paragraphs they've released. Looks like they're actually putting thought into it!

TKIY posted:

Now if only they can hit on better than a 4+.
Let's hope that Enhanced Senses comes back. Can't wait to actually have some biomorph options other than Adrenal Glands and Toxin Sacs.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

What's the catch with Tartaros terminators? They seem to have all the best stats and none of the disadvantages like slow movement.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

HardCoil posted:

What's the catch with Tartaros terminators? They seem to have all the best stats and none of the disadvantages like slow movement.

Tartaros terminators have the best speed, and have the option to mix in lightning claws and grenade harnesses. The option to give the the sgt a plasma or volkite is nice. But reapers are poo poo compared to assault cannons or the missile launcher, and they're the most expensive per model of the three. Since assault terminators are for some reason also 31 points per model, tartaros are objectively better than lightning claw assault terminators but lack the option to go hammer and shield.

Cataphractii are slower and have better invulns, get to mix in lightning claws and can take a grenade harness, but miss out on the fancy tartaros weapons.

Terminators are the cheapeast, have better heavy weapon options, and have a teleport homer to let them re-deploy mid battle.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 27, 2017

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

Seems like with that much shooting itd make sense to find the 58pts to change the chaplain for a watch master for rerolling everything.

Excellent point. I actually was at 1947. Swapped the Chaplain for a Watchmaster and took off the Hurricane Bolter on the Blackstar. 1999 now. I guess i'm picking up a watch master this weekend.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

HardCoil posted:

They're paying a premium for 1" movement that rarely comes up in a world of 100% reliable deep strike. Reaper autocannons are genuinely terrible in 8th ed. The plasma blasters not terribly useful since as they're generally deep striking they're out of captain range and since its always 2 shots you've got pretty solid odds that your sergeant is going to die.

If you're running lightning claw terminators though theres literally no reason not to take tartaros as they cost the same as assault terminators and without guns that extra inch becomes important for being able to catch up if they fail their charge.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

chutche2 posted:

Tartaros terminators have the best speed, and have the option to mix in lightning claws and grenade harnesses. The option to give the the sgt a plasma or volkite is nice. But reapers are poo poo compared to assault cannons or the missile launcher, and they're the most expensive per model of the three. Since assault terminators are for some reason also 31 points per model, tartaros are objectively better than lightning claw assault terminators but lack the option to go hammer and shield.

Cataphractii are slower and have better invulns, get to mix in lightning claws and can take a grenade harness, but miss out on the fancy tartaros weapons.

Terminators are the cheapeast, have better heavy weapon options, and have a teleport homer to let them re-deploy mid battle.

OK, thanks guys, makes sense. I remember reapers as pretty good from earlier versions, that's probably what confused me.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'd drop a power maul or something to pay for those hurricane bolters, they're very good for those points.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Annoyingly since I JUST painted them my last game made it apparent that I should really trade out my naked terminators for naked cataphractii terminators, 20 points more but making it so the best odds you're going to get when piling heavy weapons fire to try and get them out of your backline is 50:50 seems like a plan. The slow as molasses movement doesn't really come into it since if they make their charge they're in, and if they fail the charge they'll have to move what I'm trying to charge towards the rest of my extremely fighty boys.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Artum posted:

Annoyingly since I JUST painted them my last game made it apparent that I should really trade out my naked terminators for naked cataphractii terminators, 20 points more but making it so the best odds you're going to get when piling heavy weapons fire to try and get them out of your backline is 50:50 seems like a plan. The slow as molasses movement doesn't really come into it since if they make their charge they're in, and if they fail the charge they'll have to move what I'm trying to charge towards the rest of my extremely fighty boys.

The local black templars player does hammer and anvil by dropping two cataphractii squads behind you while his crusaders and dreads are coming from the front, it's pretty drat effective.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
i'm picking up two sets of Dire Avengers dice tomorrow :shepicide:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

The local black templars player does hammer and anvil by dropping two cataphractii squads behind you while his crusaders and dreads are coming from the front, it's pretty drat effective.

I just wish they'd stop beating around the bush and gimme primaris terminators, I want 3w 3a 2+ 5++ guys teleporting in dammit.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I just want DA to be able to take Contemptors and the weirdo Terminator variants.

Keep the rest of that newfangled bullshit that the 41st millenials use, but it's going to whip wholesale rear end if they get access to Heresy tech whenever their codex eventually drops.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Phyresis posted:

i'm picking up two sets of Dire Avengers dice tomorrow :shepicide:

I considered getting some of the fire dragon dice, but better sense won out. Some of them are illegible due to tiny numbers within the rune symbol, and I just think it's a bit of a frivolous buy when I'm already dropping cash on the book and cards.

If they had shining spear dice, I think I'd buy them. How sad is that?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

I really wish Forgeworld hadn't dropped the ball so badly with their Index. I love my Sicaran and, while it's actually pretty balanced, FW unit have such a stigma on them in friendly games around here such that I just don't bring it anymore.

Yup. I have a bunch that I like, but rarely get to use. Leviathans are significantly undercosted, my Contemptor Mortis seems a touch undercosted, and while I don't think my venator is undercosted it's still good enough at killing tanks that people get salty about me bringing it. It doesn't help that my local meta can't deal with tanks at all, so even normal marine tanks/dreads are hard to kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Man, I need more Nid news. The wait is going to kill me.