Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Aww man his deviantart is gone :(

Tragically, his RL friend with the weird long fingers disease died, and he posted a thing about it and then deleted his account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

NLJP posted:

Edit2: mods 'streaming rut fluid' do the needful etc. etc.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

lol

putrid aidsman
Apr 13, 2017

by Lowtax

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Oh I promised I'd post my DNP trip report and totally forgot about it.

I ran it for 10 days and lost like 12lbs super goddamned fast but it was in weird stop-and-go fits of bloating and flushing. I started feeling real bad around day 5-6; I was lethargic as hell and felt like poo poo, my ankles swelled up at one point, my lungs felt congested and awful and I had to take benedryl all the time to not feel like I had walking pneumonia. I got kidney pain on day 10 despite drinking 8L of water a day and was like "gently caress this poo poo" and now I'm gonna go blow this garbage up or something.

This was at 200mg/day too, nothing crazy. I know some people can run this stuff and be okay but the risks of what happens when it goes bad are just not loving worth it. Lethargy, pneumonia, peripheral edema and severe chance of death via organ failure isn't a good mix.

(dnp is a diet drug that got banned because it kept killing people)

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

It would be pretty funny to see the gbs username illustrator give that a go tbh but I'm sure there's someone more deserving out there

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

putrid aidsman posted:

Yeah it's real bad

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

fool_of_sound posted:

Tragically, his RL friend with the weird long fingers disease died, and he posted a thing about it and then deleted his account.

Aww :(

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Yeah it's real bad

Don't listen to the rest of these guys. Please keep taking whatever you want and posting trip reports about it and then coming here super defensive about your totally sane decisions to risk organ failure with diet pills or take more bull steroids than an actual bull would ever receive in it's lifetime.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

WrenP-Complete posted:

Methamphetamine is an FDA approved prescription medication. https://www.drugs.com/pro/desoxyn.html :science:

It's very very rarely prescribed, because the potential for abuse is so high.

So is there someone somewhere in the basement of a hospital making meth with ammonia and battery acid for obese people?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Imagine having a level of awareness that lets you know that you're the "cow steroids guy" and yet lacking the common sense and self control to stop being the cow steroids guy.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

putrid aidsman posted:

Isn't that the one where if you take too much you boil to death

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

So is there someone somewhere in the basement of a hospital making meth with ammonia and battery acid for obese people?

Absolutely not. One of the main reasons why people prescribed Desoxyn and people who use street methamphetamine have massively different outcomes is the drug quality. Street methamphetamine is hugely adulterated. (This is why as a drug counselor you can't compare the dosages of street methamphetamine to prescribed methamphetamine.) The route of administration (eating vs smoking crystal) is also crucial.

I couldn't remember the manufacturers, so I looked it up.

quote:

Desoxyn is manufactured legally in the US for prescription use by international pharmaceutical group Lundbeck, following the Danish-based firm’s acquisition of the drug’s sole manufacturer, Ovation Pharmaceuticals.

Mylan also makes a generic. I think their manufacture is also US based but I'm not sure.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

WrenP-Complete posted:

Absolutely not. One of the main reasons why people prescribed Desoxyn and people who use street methamphetamine have massively different outcomes is the drug quality. The route of administration (eating vs smoking crystal) is also crucial.

Mylan also makes a generic. I think their manufacture is also US based but I'm not sure.

Adderall is extremely similar to street meth, too. They're extremely similar chemically, IIRC.

Rough Lobster posted:

Imagine having a level of awareness that lets you know that you're the "cow steroids guy" and yet lacking the common sense and self control to stop being the cow steroids guy.

not to mention the level of :ironicat: in coming in swinging on pro-kratom and pro-steroid stances with this gem re: weed as an analgesic

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Hmmm, yeah because what people with chronic pain / opioid dependence need is to be blasted to loving space 24/7.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

"rhino ejaculation hormones," or "esctacy serotonin neurotransmitter" ???

Gfycat URLs getting weird

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Kelp Me! posted:

Adderall is extremely similar to street meth, too. They're extremely similar chemically, IIRC.

Yep, that's correct. Adderall is a mixture of four different amphetamine salts, whereas methamphetamine is just the one - methamphetamine hydrochloride. Adderall is equal parts amphetamine aspartate monohydrate, amphetamine sulfate, dextroamphetamine sulfate, and dextroamphetamine saccharate.

Spanish Manlove posted:

You've never been bored and started looking up goofy poo poo on google scholar like "diet affects alcohol metabolism," "rhino ejaculation hormones," or "esctacy serotonin neurotransmitter" ???
I looked up my google scholar history recently (I work in drug research) and found the query "serotonin lol."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I don't like this reboot of Babylon 5.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
TCC exists for a similar reason as the heads on pikes in front of an orc fortress, except people keep coming up to personally rip off their own heads to place them on the pikes.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Kelp Me! posted:

not to mention the level of :ironicat: in coming in swinging on pro-kratom and pro-steroid stances with this gem re: weed as an analgesic

You want sick people to be high on weed? That’s insane! *watch alarm beeps* Oh, excuse me. *pulls out comically large syringe labelled “COW DRUGS” and injects it directly into own heart* Anyway, as I was saying...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Inescapable Duck posted:

TCC exists for a similar reason as the heads on pikes in front of an orc fortress, except people keep coming up to personally rip off their own heads to place them on the pikes.

Abandon hope beyond this point. Here dwell the tribe of Head(Shop) Hunters.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Can you mix kratom powder into your horse juice for maximum gains?

I'm doing it right now, and only asking to confirm that I was right.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Important new product for Moist von Lipwig

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Omg that's the best one yet! I hadn't even seen it, thank you

Wait, didn't you have a 30 day probie last night? And someone else was posting that you were banned?

I'm so confused! :psyboom:

E: wait, wtf? I clicked the thread and it loaded up to that post being the last one, then I posted and there are 2 more pages? Is radium back?

RFC2324 has a new favorite as of 18:45 on Oct 27, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ariong posted:

You want sick people to be high on weed? That’s insane! *watch alarm beeps* Oh, excuse me. *pulls out comically large syringe labelled “COW DRUGS” and injects it directly into own heart* Anyway, as I was saying...

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

Wait, didn't you have a 30 day probie last night? And someone else was posting that you were banned?

I'm so confused! :psyboom:

E: wait, wtf? I clicked the thread and it loaded up to that post being the last one, then I posted and there are 2 more pages? Is radium back?

From my perspective of timeline: I complimented her avatar and then she was immediately banned for something she said in USPol the other day. But it's looking like a 30 day probation on her avatar. And the 30 day probation came after the ban? I don't know what's going on. :ghost:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

WrenP-Complete posted:

Absolutely not. One of the main reasons why people prescribed Desoxyn and people who use street methamphetamine have massively different outcomes is the drug quality. Street methamphetamine is hugely adulterated. (This is why as a drug counselor you can't compare the dosages of street methamphetamine to prescribed methamphetamine.) The route of administration (eating vs smoking crystal) is also crucial.

Sorry that was my really sarcastic way of asking how regulated meth is made, I didn't even realized it was used as a drug, but somehow I remember hearing that before.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

WrenP-Complete posted:

From my perspective of timeline: I complimented her avatar and then she was immediately banned for something she said in USPol the other day. But it's looking like a 30 day probation on her avatar. And the 30 day probation came after the ban? I don't know what's going on. :ghost:

A ban and thirty is used when the mod judges a ban is merited but they don't want them to be able to buy back their account immediately. A ban and 30 means even if you buy your account back immediately you still have to sit out the probation.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Probations bother me more than bans by far.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

A ban and thirty is used when the mod judges a ban is merited but they don't want them to be able to buy back their account immediately. A ban and 30 means even if you buy your account back immediately you still have to sit out the probation.

So you're saying look forward to an incredibly obvious re-reg soon?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

So you're saying look forward to an incredibly obvious re-reg soon?

That is not unique to any punishment though. People re-reg to circumvent anything from bans to day long probation. It's fine to re-reg if it's just a ban because it's not different from just buying your account back but a re-reg to avoid a probation or permaban is punishable.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Improbable Lobster posted:

Isn't that the one where if you take too much you boil to death
Yes! You lose weight when you take it because it interferes with your body's ability to use energy to produce ATP, instead causing most of that energy to dissipate as waste heat. As in, inside your body. Just half your energy that would be used to do vital things is being trashed as heat instead, so you burn fat to get the other half, and more heat...

Also, I'm pretty sure from the last time I read about it that its half-life in the human body is about a month. The Wikipedia page is really fun:

quote:

The factor that limits ever-increasing doses of DNP is not a lack of ATP energy production, but rather an excessive rise in body temperature due to the heat produced during uncoupling. Accordingly, DNP overdose will cause fatal hyperthermia, with body temperature rising to as high as 44 °C (111 °F) shortly before death. In light of this, when it was used clinically, the dose was slowly titrated according to personal tolerance, which varies greatly.[10]

Case reports have shown that an acute administration of 20–50 mg per kilogram of body weight in humans can be lethal.[11]

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Sounds like it could be pretty effective for weight loss if you're not dumb enough to dose yourself at home.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Sounds like it could be pretty effective for weight loss if you're not dumb enough to dose yourself at home.

It also seems like an extremely dangerous way to lose weight

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I feel like you'd end up with a bunch of horrible skin flaps from dropping weight way too fast and a bunch of other things from an extreme change like that.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If you want to lose weight, try to eat less. And take more drugs.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah I mean, that's why you'd have your doctor do the described thing where you titrate it according to personal tolerance. People do really dangerous things to lose weight pretty frequently, I'd rather one that could be mitigated by careful dosing than surgery where...some people just don't wake up from anaesthesia. Of course I have no clue of the relative danger of "carefully titrated dose of DNP administered via doctor" vs "surgery" and can't comment in an absolute sense but, having heard the horror stories, I expected a lot worse.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I'd rather people just exercise and eat right

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

It's likely also real bad to raise your body temp even slightly for long periods of time, so yeah that's a bad idea. Besides, this is the best plan for weight loss:

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'd rather people just exercise and eat right

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
If you want to lose weight just restrict your caloric intake, work on being more active and consider spending a little time in the gym mainlining bull steroids in amounts excess that of what actual bulls receive.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
The cataracts thing with DNP seems scary too. Back when it was a legal diet aid quite a few people who took it developed cataracts a couple of years later. When said cataracts were surgically removed they reformed a couple years later again.

No one knows why it causes these long term changes to the eye in some people. I mean it could be a buildup of waste products because it messes with cellular metabolism on a fairly fundamental level but :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Aha.That makes sense, thank you for explanation.

DariusLikewise posted:

Sorry that was my really sarcastic way of asking how regulated meth is made, I didn't even realized it was used as a drug, but somehow I remember hearing that before.

Like, by what reaction is it made or by whom or...? I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Unfortunately (?) there's no How It's Made: Psychoactive Substances episodes about pharmaceutical production though.

Your question did remind me of this funny article though - A Simple and Convenient Synthesis of Pseudoephedrine From N-Methylamphetamine

http://heterodoxy.cc/meowdocs/pseudo/pseudosynth.pdf

quote:

A novel and straightforward synthesis of pseudoephedrine from
readily available N-methylamphetamine is presented. This
practical synthesis is expected to be a disruptive technology
replacing the need to find an open pharmacy.

WrenP-Complete has a new favorite as of 23:45 on Oct 27, 2017