Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

KingLemming posted:

bees (without the weapons-grade autism)

Elaborate please? I love genetics (IRL and in games) and the idea of crossbreeding for hybrid traits or whatever is super appealing to me, but Forestry bees are so miserably implemented I cannot bring myself to go though the incredible busywork.

KingLemming posted:

So Planter+Harvester? Yeah that might be a TE thing, though the Insolator in my mind does a pretty fantastic job of that stuff already.

The Insolator is fine in terms of a way to produce resources, but it is less appealing to me than the planter / harvester for two reasons.
1) You can't watch the crops being grown in pretty fields.
2) It can't interact with any other crop-related systems like agricraft sprinklers or whatnot. It's a closed system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

KingLemming posted:

so everyone will shut the gently caress up about EnderIO forever.

I love you

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

KingLemming posted:

Yeah, I've given it a bit of thought and Cultivation will probably end up being crops (without super complexity) + bees (without the weapons-grade autism) + food and maybe some traditional farming-style blocks (new soils). I don't want it to be technical really, so that a pack with TF+TC can play pretty well alongside medieval-technology Minecraft. No RF or complex logistics.

So Planter+Harvester? Yeah that might be a TE thing, though the Insolator in my mind does a pretty fantastic job of that stuff already. The Rancher I'm literally discussing in chat right now since it's a question of how exactly it should be handled.

Tesseracts ehhh...I'm of two minds on right now. I want to make them more accessible and then tier the progression a bit, but then at the same time I also want to make a variant which is just blatant logistical triviality so everyone will shut the gently caress up about EnderIO forever.

Mmm...more bees. :) I like Forestry bees to just have fun, not for intentionally trying to get a specific product out of them. For that I use Mystical Agriculture or Project E. ;)

True, the Phytogenic Insolator(?) does most of what the Planter/Harvester/Fertilizer combo did, just not in-world, so that's fine. :) I think what I miss more is the Harvestor for chopping down huge trees quickly, or the Rancher/Chromosomething for breeding/slaughtering animals.

Have an Ultimate Tier Tesseract for your Ender IO end-game, then tier the rest as you see fit? I miss having our Goon Labs dimension where all the shared storage/power reside and then we just need Tesseracts to tap into this in Overworld.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

KingLemming posted:

I also want to make a variant which is just blatant logistical triviality so everyone will shut the gently caress up about EnderIO forever.

:v:
I am glad to see you have the most selfless intentions at heart.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Mzbundifund posted:

Elaborate please? I love genetics (IRL and in games) and the idea of crossbreeding for hybrid traits or whatever is super appealing to me, but Forestry bees are so miserably implemented I cannot bring myself to go though the incredible busywork.

I've only traced out skeletons of a system right now, but for the most part I want to stick to Punnett-square style logic for the raw genes and then methods which will force various genes to actually express in the population. (Queen Lemming is a biophysicist focusing on noise biology so I want to (ab)use her knowledge of such things.)

The Insolator is fine in terms of a way to produce resources, but it is less appealing to me than the planter / harvester for two reasons.
1) You can't watch the crops being grown in pretty fields.
2) It can't interact with any other crop-related systems like agricraft sprinklers or whatnot. It's a closed system.

That's true, although it grows things pretty darn fast on its own. There's not really a logical intersection with Agricraft sprinklers.

lolmer posted:

Mmm...more bees. :) I like Forestry bees to just have fun, not for intentionally trying to get a specific product out of them. For that I use Mystical Agriculture or Project E. ;)

True, the Phytogenic Insolator(?) does most of what the Planter/Harvester/Fertilizer combo did, just not in-world, so that's fine. :) I think what I miss more is the Harvestor for chopping down huge trees quickly, or the Rancher/Chromosomething for breeding/slaughtering animals.

Have an Ultimate Tier Tesseract for your Ender IO end-game, then tier the rest as you see fit? I miss having our Goon Labs dimension where all the shared storage/power reside and then we just need Tesseracts to tap into this in Overworld.

The Insolator can handle trees, you know. :) And I've added a "Monoculture" augment which allows it to retain the "seed" in the input slot, making logistics a bit easier.

As far as the Tesseract, yeah...the thing is that there's a point where it's just "amazing server utility" which is required for the sake of tickrate. And I get that. I just want to be wary of having it be so convenient that nobody ever does any local power generation ever.

Rutibex posted:

:v:
I am glad to see you have the most selfless intentions at heart.

On some level, yeah I actually do. 1.12.x is a really well-developed ecosystem and the community is limping along and whining because "muh conduits." EIO conduits actively harm gameplay by removing player agency and trivializing one of the last actual puzzles in modded MC - the tiniest shred of logistical planning. Not to mention, they visually look completely different from the rest of the game, which is a wrecking ball to immersion and yet despite their fancy graphics, they still manage to look absolutely uninteresting.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

KingLemming posted:

That's true, although it grows things pretty darn fast on its own. There's not really a logical intersection with Agricraft sprinklers.

The Insolator can handle trees, you know. :) And I've added a "Monoculture" augment which allows it to retain the "seed" in the input slot, making logistics a bit easier.

I did not know that, sounds like most of MFR is already covered. :)

KingLemming posted:

As far as the Tesseract, yeah...the thing is that there's a point where it's just "amazing server utility" which is required for the sake of tickrate. And I get that. I just want to be wary of having it be so convenient that nobody ever does any local power generation ever.

Even with massive shared storage/power, most of the players built their own power/storage systems before tapping into the shared storage to learn the systems, or tapped into shared storage to skip something they consider tedious (because they've done it n number of times) and then built their own higher-end storage/power. Some just used the shared power/storage the whole time and Overworld appreciated the fewer power/storage systems tacking up ticks. ;)

tldr; Tesseracts are awesome and help larger servers, or servers with lots of dimension exploration (RFTools or GalactiCraft) remain sane

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

KingLemming posted:

On some level, yeah I actually do. 1.12.x is a really well-developed ecosystem and the community is limping along and whining because "muh conduits." EIO conduits actively harm gameplay by removing player agency and trivializing one of the last actual puzzles in modded MC - the tiniest shred of logistical planning. Not to mention, they visually look completely different from the rest of the game, which is a wrecking ball to immersion and yet despite their fancy graphics, they still manage to look absolutely uninteresting.

You should implement some really easy and cheap multi conduits into Thermal Expansion. They can carry 1million items and 100 billion RF per tick, but they are a hot pink dirt texture and are called "loserIO Tubes"

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 27, 2017

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Rutibex posted:

You should implement some really easy and cheap multi conduits into Thermal Expansion. They can carry 1million items and 100 billion RF per tick, but they are a hot pick dirt texture and are called "loserIO Tubes"

Yeah what minecraft mods really need is some more schoolyard posturing.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

unironically correct

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

KingLemming posted:

:reject: WARNING BACKSEAT GAME DESIGN IN THIS POST, IGNORE :reject:

Maybe make an augment for a tesseract that provides unlimited power/item/liquid throughput, and allow the recipe to be enabled/disabled in the config? This way, pack creators and/or server owners can decide if they want the Good poo poo or not, based on their weird preferences/needs.

Since I'm spitballing here, more random ideas: separate tesseract flavors for power/liquid/energy? Maybe the base tesseract chassis does nothing, but you have to install power/liquid/energy augments to enable those features?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

KingLemming posted:

Yeah, I've given it a bit of thought and Cultivation will probably end up being crops (without super complexity) + bees (without the weapons-grade autism) + food and maybe some traditional farming-style blocks (new soils). I don't want it to be technical really, so that a pack with TF+TC can play pretty well alongside medieval-technology Minecraft. No RF or complex logistics.

So Planter+Harvester? Yeah that might be a TE thing, though the Insolator in my mind does a pretty fantastic job of that stuff already. The Rancher I'm literally discussing in chat right now since it's a question of how exactly it should be handled.
I can give all kinds of stupid suggestions but I'm going to try to be a grownup and not ask for tiberium crops automining the landscape. I can't think of anything that would work in your general aesthetic to make farming too much more interesting just because it still comes down to basically watching grass grow. Doing anything else just sounds like a new, different mod.

I'm generally curious if this is a final attempt at marrying the Thermal Expansion family with the Minefactory Reloaded family. At this point MFR recipes tend to become TE recipes with a bit more plastic, so I can the whole rubber/plastic thing is a kind of an excessive mechanic.

Regarding bees, the only time I could tolerate them was when I was playing Agrarian Skies 1 and Forestry had that special configuration that didn't kill off the queens, and I was stuck in a hotel room with a horrible sinus infection. I just can't imagine it without those two constraints. I stayed the hell away from bees when trying to explain mods with Baby's First Space Race. A big part of that was I couldn't figure out how to configure out all of that grind.

quote:

Tesseracts ehhh...I'm of two minds on right now. I want to make them more accessible and then tier the progression a bit, but then at the same time I also want to make a variant which is just blatant logistical triviality so everyone will shut the gently caress up about EnderIO forever.
Isn't this something you can just nail with a basic config flag?

Now me and this person are going to talk crazy:

Mzbundifund posted:

If I could have my way, I would be looking at something where you have, say, a basic seed crop and a basic pollinator organism, and it's all on you from then on to mutate them through whatever tomfoolery. Different traits would exhibit based on different conditions and you would breed them together from that. Getting something to actually express should be pretty straightforward and not a dice game. Some of the conditions could be simulated with artificial environments. If people don't want to do that then they can tech up and just edit genomes. I guess it could be limited by the same thing TFC does and have the genome positions be tied to the world seed so people can't just memorize them and go to town. Or that might be tedious bullshit. I suspect implementation would mostly determine it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

makes me think of space station 13 where when you're doing botany you can randomly luck into offshoots of crops that have weird properties or you can directly fiddle with the genes of a seed and certain combos of stats would reliably yield the result you want

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Chaos shards are being made renewable in MS2 in tomorrow's patch. Major issue for the endgame creative items now is just the TPS issues from the smeltery-only alloys. He says he's waiting for mod updates to do anything about that part.

All he really has to do is add Arc Furnace recipes for those, but guy is really, REALLY stuck on making you use the smeltery all the way down. :argh:

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

:reject: WARNING BACKSEAT GAME DESIGN IN THIS POST, IGNORE :reject:

Maybe make an augment for a tesseract that provides unlimited power/item/liquid throughput, and allow the recipe to be enabled/disabled in the config? This way, pack creators and/or server owners can decide if they want the Good poo poo or not, based on their weird preferences/needs.

Since I'm spitballing here, more random ideas: separate tesseract flavors for power/liquid/energy? Maybe the base tesseract chassis does nothing, but you have to install power/liquid/energy augments to enable those features?

So part of it is that they are really separate designs. When I think about a tiered version, conceptually, that means sort of a local WiFi-style Ender network - you'd basically plop down some panels on the sides of things and then link them to an Ender router of sorts. Maybe allow an EnderSSID of sorts, but no "number" associated with it, just a string.

Then that network could maybe connect to some other Ender device style things, the "higher" tier ones would indeed be true space-time unification points, possibly multi-block, allowing for cross-dimensional transfer. And in each case, the Ender routers would actually require a power upkeep, although I'd be fine with them also being able to transfer energy.

The "logistical triviality" version would simply be a block with a menu that you could configure what resources go which directions on which channels on which sides - just complete unburdened, flavorless, overpowered freedom. And plugin support would ideally allow for literally all types of transport.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I can give all kinds of stupid suggestions but I'm going to try to be a grownup and not ask for tiberium crops automining the landscape. I can't think of anything that would work in your general aesthetic to make farming too much more interesting just because it still comes down to basically watching grass grow. Doing anything else just sounds like a new, different mod.

I'm generally curious if this is a final attempt at marrying the Thermal Expansion family with the Minefactory Reloaded family. At this point MFR recipes tend to become TE recipes with a bit more plastic, so I can the whole rubber/plastic thing is a kind of an excessive mechanic.

Regarding bees, the only time I could tolerate them was when I was playing Agrarian Skies 1 and Forestry had that special configuration that didn't kill off the queens, and I was stuck in a hotel room with a horrible sinus infection. I just can't imagine it without those two constraints. I stayed the hell away from bees when trying to explain mods with Baby's First Space Race. A big part of that was I couldn't figure out how to configure out all of that grind.

I'm not really trying to marry TE and MFR, but the current state of MFR is simply, "unknown at this time." I have no intentions of adding sewers, pink slime, the rocket launcher, RedNet, or a lot of the other really flavorful MFR things. But I think some degree of overlap is probably okay.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Isn't this something you can just nail with a basic config flag?

Not really the way I'm envisioning it, as I laid it out earlier in this post. But yeah, if I went the old way, you're absolutely right.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Now me and this person are going to talk crazy:

If I could have my way, I would be looking at something where you have, say, a basic seed crop and a basic pollinator organism, and it's all on you from then on to mutate them through whatever tomfoolery. Different traits would exhibit based on different conditions and you would breed them together from that. Getting something to actually express should be pretty straightforward and not a dice game. Some of the conditions could be simulated with artificial environments. If people don't want to do that then they can tech up and just edit genomes. I guess it could be limited by the same thing TFC does and have the genome positions be tied to the world seed so people can't just memorize them and go to town. Or that might be tedious bullshit. I suspect implementation would mostly determine it.

So, on a purely genetic level, I want to only deal with Punnett-square style stuff. Anything beyond that is just obnoxious. I debated speciation, whereby I would calculate sort of gene-drift thing where if you try and breed a couple of super-specialized things, it just won't work.

Not sure if I'd want to start with a *single* seed crop and pollinator, but ehhh maybe. ;)

But genetics are really only half of it - I *do* want to play around with gene expression. And I'm with you in that pure randomness is terrible for something like that. There should be *a* random component in terms of time, such that Bee A located near Flower B may take between 5 and 15 minutes (totally making these numbers up) to "express." The only randomness I'd want to introduce there would be if Flowers W, T, and F are also nearby, and would cause a *different* expression.

But yeah, I sort of want to take a general "genetic model" and apply it to crops and such, as well as having "crop alloying" in the Phytogenic Insolator for a bit more of the Induction Smelter analog.

KingLemming fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 28, 2017

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

KingLemming posted:

So, on a purely genetic level, I want to only deal with Punnett-square style stuff. Anything beyond that is just obnoxious. I debated speciation, whereby I would calculate sort of gene-drift thing where if you try and breed a couple of super-specialized things, it just won't work.

Not sure if I'd want to start with a *single* seed crop and pollinator, but ehhh maybe. ;)

But genetics are really only half of it - I *do* want to play around with gene expression. And I'm with you in that pure randomness is terrible for something like that. There should be *a* random component in terms of time, such that Bee A located near Flower B may take between 5 and 15 minutes (totally making these numbers up) to "express." The only randomness I'd want to introduce there would be if Flowers W, T, and F are also nearby, and would cause a *different* expression.

But yeah, I sort of want to take a general "genetic model" and apply it to crops and such, as well as having "crop alloying" in the Phytogenic Insolator for a bit more of the Induction Smelter analog.

Punnet-square stuff is how Forestry bees work... unless you mean no crossbreeding into new species. If it's just one breed of bee then that's not bad at all.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I think the main irritation with Forestry bees is that mutating takes so much time. Assume no Gendustry or other ways to speed things up. You put a princess and a drone together, then you wait 20 minutes for the queen to die. While this is happening, there is no interactivity with the process at all. It's a black box that you can't affect, aside from constantly checking to see if there are frames in the apiary. If the breeding process was more interactive, or at least had partial progress instead of all or nothing, I think it'd be more interesting.

When you think about a real bee hive, there's not just a handful of bees -- there's a bunch of them doing stuff. Maybe being able to sample a random worker bee or drone for genetics might be a way to see progress?

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

McFrugal posted:

Punnet-square stuff is how Forestry bees work... unless you mean no crossbreeding into new species. If it's just one breed of bee then that's not bad at all.

I've had a few thoughts on this, and while I *do* like the idea of a single "base" insect and flower, that gets a bit ugly without also fully recreating gendustry.

I think a good compromise would be to have fewer total alleles than Forestry. I feel like if I'd end up going the "produce all the things route," then it'd be more of an artificial introduction of a new allele, creating a new species. So that breeding bees could give you various "base" bees and then combining that bee with say, Redstone, in some sort of monstrous bee splicing machine would create a Flux bee. And there may be a requirement where a bee needs to have certain stats to be "infused" with Redstone.

But that new one wouldn't then go on to crossbreed with the original one - it would bee :v: a totally different species.

So the flow of play would be to take good care of your bees in general, getting them to a necessary production/hardiness/<whatever stat> then infuse them with a resource, creating new species that you again get to take care of. And maybe they're more fickle and whiny and need certain conditions to live.

So there's still a grind there in a sense (I mean, it's bees after all), but it would hopefully remove the maddeningly infuriating randomness and reduce the waiting a bit.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

anything to take out the mindnumbing busywork and frustration of trying to churn out bees yet only getting duds would be appreciated. hopefully there'd be something you can just smack a hive with to bring up a readout that will detail the specific stats of the bees inside, without having to actually open it up and examine things personally.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
My big gripe with Forestry bees was the lack of concrete progress. Finally breed a royal queen? Better hope when she dies you get a royal princess, might just slide back a tier or two. Want a second royal queen? Have fun starting from the beginning breeding forest & meadow bees.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

KingLemming posted:

I've had a few thoughts on this, and while I *do* like the idea of a single "base" insect and flower, that gets a bit ugly without also fully recreating gendustry.

I think a good compromise would be to have fewer total alleles than Forestry. I feel like if I'd end up going the "produce all the things route," then it'd be more of an artificial introduction of a new allele, creating a new species. So that breeding bees could give you various "base" bees and then combining that bee with say, Redstone, in some sort of monstrous bee splicing machine would create a Flux bee. And there may be a requirement where a bee needs to have certain stats to be "infused" with Redstone.

But that new one wouldn't then go on to crossbreed with the original one - it would bee :v: a totally different species.

So the flow of play would be to take good care of your bees in general, getting them to a necessary production/hardiness/<whatever stat> then infuse them with a resource, creating new species that you again get to take care of. And maybe they're more fickle and whiny and need certain conditions to live.

So there's still a grind there in a sense (I mean, it's bees after all), but it would hopefully remove the maddeningly infuriating randomness and reduce the waiting a bit.

I could see this being less painful than Forestry if:
A) the infusion was guaranteed and
B) optimized traits were fully inherited when the new species is created

Then all you'd do is perfect your base bee species (or just ignore stats) then infuse them for bees that produce resources for you. Similar to Agricraft, I suppose, except with reliable mutations.

Nevets posted:

My big gripe with Forestry bees was the lack of concrete progress. Finally breed a royal queen? Better hope when she dies you get a royal princess, might just slide back a tier or two. Want a second royal queen? Have fun starting from the beginning breeding forest & meadow bees.

There's an optimal way to do that sort of thing. Basically, you a whole bunch of base bees and breed up a stock of bees with the best stats you can get. Then you crossbreed them, which won't affect the stats since they all have the same stats, and once you get the mutation you want it will introduce some bad stats probably. You treat the new species gene like any other stat and try to breed it into your "good" bees. Once you have all the stats stable you continue the process with the next mutation. If you only aim for a few specific stats like short lifespan and temperature/humidity tolerance it speeds up the process of gaining a stable breeding stock for the new mutation. Then you can (if it's a bee you want to produce things with) breed some faster production or longer life into the species. Oh, and the more apiaries you have the faster you can get mutations, because you can run crossbreeding operations in parallel. But yes, like you said, it's possible to just lose the new species gene due to random chance before you get purebred breeding stock, which is real annoying.

Even doing this, you'll run into problems because of Forestry being what it is. Biome restrictions is the big one. You'll either need access to swamp, desert, jungle, and a snow biome (it's practically impossible to have all four within chunkloading distance) or get an Alveary to modify the temperature/humidity with. On top of that you're going to have to breed some bees in the nether.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 28, 2017

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Kinglemming at this rate you are eventually going to end up with a paid minecraft modding job and replace a quarter of the tech mods and end up doing it right. Or might even get hired on by microsoft for Microsoft minecraft mods or something.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Entangloporters. ENTANGLOPORTERS.

They're the Tesseracts nobody seems to remember.

McFrugal posted:

Even doing this, you'll run into problems because of Forestry being what it is. Biome restrictions is the big one. You'll either need access to swamp, desert, jungle, and a snow biome (it's practically impossible to have all four within chunkloading distance) or get an Alveary to modify the temperature/humidity with. On top of that you're going to have to breed some bees in the nether.

Or you can get Gendustry and its automated beehive which has plugins that simulate biomes/the nether.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 28, 2017

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Black Pants posted:

Entangloporters. ENTANGLOPORTERS.

They're the Tesseracts nobody seems to remember.

Or you can get Gendustry and its automated beehive which has plugins that simulate biomes/the nether.

That doesn't work. At least, in InfiTech 2 it doesn't. I never got a single crossbreed from the nether simulator in an industrial apiary. It works for the temp/humidity requirement but not the biome requirement.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

KingLemming posted:

Oh I see now that we really were wanting to go off the reservation. Well then I will completely take the lid off the top of my head. For the sake of design I would personally still recommend trying to have as few base organisms as possible because the mechanics to make that interesting will make more organisms interesting.

If you wanted my opinion on organisms, I would suggest ants instead of bees. Then you can pretty much do whatever you want because you can just laugh at anybody filing GitHub issues over it being unrealistic. Most of the stuff I think people want out of bees are things that are at or below ground level anyways.

On the topic of genomes, I had this idea of representing the genomes in terms of little data sequences that would be similar to Mystcraft gooks or RFTools dimensions. The genomes would just describe the rough nature of the plant and behaviors would get tacked on/overridden/replaced/mutated. A lot of it would be garbage, but this was the rough idea:

surface, shrub, one-block, photosynthetic, self-pollinate, fruit

It makes fruit. The fruit is useless. You blow up lots of TNT around it and it eventually becomes immune to it. You blow up some more TNT around it and it starts to like it.

surface, shrub, one-block, feeds-on-booms, blast-resistant, self-pollinate, fruit, explodes

Oops--when it fruits, it likes to explode the fruits.

You cross it with a cave shrub you were setting up around Y=12 to make diamonds:

cave, shrub, cool, dark, one-block, lavasynthetic, self-pollinate, fruit, diamond

And you get something like:

surface, shrub, one-block, feeds-on-booms, blast-resistant, self-pollinate, fruit, explodes, diamond.

And you have a plant that when mature, blows up a bunch of fruit that rains diamonds everywhere. Or something.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It makes fruit. The fruit is useless. You blow up lots of TNT around it and it eventually becomes immune to it. You blow up some more TNT around it and it starts to like it.

This amuses me, but how would you train a plant to be TNT-resistant without outright killing it?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Real world evolution works by random genetic mutation that causes some species to survive while others thrive via generational shifts; the successful mutation is the one that survives to reproduce. You don't have to translate that literally in Minecraft to get interesting gameplay, but you could certainly get close via massive sample sizes, even if the game doesn't actually simulate them all in truth.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Lamarckism makes for a more interesting mod anyway.

This whole conversation reminds me of an old idea someone in the thread came up with, a mod called "Big Trees". Built not around machinery or huge reactors or magic but trees you could customize and grow, which could do things like produce power or grow valuable resources. I'd much rather deal with Big Trees than bees. Grow a giant redstone pine with powdery pinecones or a towering oak that acts like a giant solar cell and photosynthesizes sunlight into RF. Obviously the whole discussion didn't lead to anything solid but bizarre and fantastical trees seems like a pretty fruitful concept.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Back at the ranch in our usual tale of one step forward, one giant leap backward MS2 updates:

Chaos Shards are now renewable! Once you kill one chaos guardian, you can endlessly reprocess the shards in TE pulverizers in a lossless process that has a 25% chance of producing an extra tiny shard every time, fixing one of the most glaring long standing issues with the extend crafting endgame. :eng101:

All the IE wiring recipes, which even under the old recipes were more expensive, more complicated to use, and had LESS capacity than other wiring options that he hasn't touched, have been substantially nerfed. They now each require a Tinker's tough tool rod of varying grade (from iron for the cheapest to gold for the most expensive) for EACH piece (none of the recipes produce multiples anymore), have their own 4 terracotta cost still, and build on 2 of the previous tier for MV/HV. So if you want to use them at any kind of scale, you can expect to spend hundreds of clay on it, which you still don't have any options for automating for the first 2/3 of the progression. What an awesome way to get a lot of your players (like me) to never use them again.

:eng99:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Toadsmash posted:

So if you want to use them at any kind of scale, you can expect to spend hundreds of clay on it, which you still don't have any options for automating for the first 2/3 of the progression. What an awesome way to get a lot of your players (like me) to never use them again.

:eng99:

Are you playing expert mode or something? Botania has the clayconia, which can turn sand into clay. (Once you get an empowerer, you can use astral sorcery's liquid starlight to make a sand generator.) Additionally, Botania's Rod of the Lands can create dirt from mana with an extremely cheap cost. I agree that it's pretty insane to change up something so fundamental, but dirt/clay stops being a problem pretty quick in my experience.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

That's behind Embers. You can't get into functional flowers without the magma crucible.

Clay isn't really the only problem, though. He raised the expense of those recipes by several orders of magnitude by taking away multiple outputs and the tool rods have a good sized material cost and are more complicated than the old ones to automate, too.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 29, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

After a certain point you really do wonder if the MSB2 guy actually wants people to make any sort of progress.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

After a certain point you really do wonder if the MSB2 guy actually wants people to make any sort of progress.

It does sort of smack of the story about GregTech, that additional tech tree is magicked up to slow down the progress of everyone that is behind the creator of the thing.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

He didn't know about the infinite scaling of chaos guardians till a week ago even though I and several others had been repeatedly bringing up the chaos shard issue (before this patch getting the Creative Vending upgrade would have required 128 chaos dragon kills to collect the neccessary shards) for the last month, month and a half at least. That should put in perspective for you how little personal experience he has related to the changes he's making.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I'm guessing the atomic multiplier from Calculator is either disabled or can't multiply the chaos shards?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Actually, that got a recipe back in this very patch! I forgot about that part. So there are two ways to multiply Chaos Shards now. It was disabled until today.

...One of the ingredients for it is the RS Creative Storage Disk. So, probably not your first option for that. :downs:

I'm just glad to have one at all. And I was slightly off. The pulverizer process isn't lossless, but should be an easy net gain with augments at resonant level. And if you got this far without resonant upgrades, well..

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 29, 2017

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Vib Rib posted:

Lamarckism makes for a more interesting mod anyway.

This whole conversation reminds me of an old idea someone in the thread came up with, a mod called "Big Trees". Built not around machinery or huge reactors or magic but trees you could customize and grow, which could do things like produce power or grow valuable resources. I'd much rather deal with Big Trees than bees. Grow a giant redstone pine with powdery pinecones or a towering oak that acts like a giant solar cell and photosynthesizes sunlight into RF. Obviously the whole discussion didn't lead to anything solid but bizarre and fantastical trees seems like a pretty fruitful concept.

i still really love this idea, especially if the trees look beautiful as hell and can be used to make areas look nice

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
So after spending a few hours rebuilding my AoE game from the last backup save I got a functional liquid cooled IC2 reactor going, outputing way more heat than my 1 liquid heat exchanger can handle, and ultimately putting out less power than it did as a basic reactor. Apparently they only become worthwhile if you've got 3 or 4 heat exchangers (which costs something like 120 million EU to make the iridium) to run them with. Then I realized I had been going about this all wrong. Instead of blindly following the progression in the guide I should have been looking for loopholes, like the red orchid seed I found in literally the first dungeon chest I came across. Put it in an IE cloche & you've got infinite redstone. That lets you run a basic IC2 reactor really, really hot by cooling it almost entirely with redstone condensators. Now my 'backup' reactor is running safely unattended with a 3x3 set of quad fuel rods and putting out 1040 EU/t. Not sure if the cloche can make redstone fast enough for 2 of these at the same time, instead I think I'll let it run for a few hours while I work on something else fun like bees or testicular cancer.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Another "exploit" in AoE (or really any pack with actually additions) is to use a lens of color to transmute any dye (bone meal and red dye from beetroot grown in a cloche work great) into lapis by repeatedly zapping dye items until they turn into lapis, then picking them up with a whitelisted ranged collector.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

As an alternative, Immersive Engineering cables can transmit across unloaded chunks just fine. However, they cap out at 4096 RF/t per wire, so you'd probably need a lot of them operating in parallel to make it work, and obviously it wouldn't work cross-dimensionally.

That's 4096RF/t per connection, not per wire. Wires default to 2048, 8192, 32768 RF/t (copper, electrum, HV). So 8 HV connectors will exactly max out an HV wire for 32k RF/t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I got MSB2 to work in multimc and giving it a go. Started on a sand platform.

I am not sure i actually enjoy this a great deal. Ive been able to make 5 iron which i used to automate a bonsai so i at least (slowly) have an automated way to make plant matter.....

cant make shears until you get a coke oven up..... ffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

and this catylist that has a 75% out put. Which at such low numbers is 50%..

Does automating this stuff get easier?

Oh, and does water and lava move differently in 1.whatever this is ?

I can drop a water source block and it doesnt run. Not sideways and not even down.... Getting my cobble gen was stupidly tedious and as it sits now im at 50% success rate for getting the cobble block before the lava does .

LOL

And what is the go to starter mob farm? Ive got a 7x7 dark room raised 1 block up with slabs i can remove to kill stuff/collect drops. I do have spikes inside and some consecrated soil)