Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

geri and amos

Poor amos Is just sucked into this mess while everyone else is doing their jobs. He shouldn't die for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Shadow Weaver requirements- 1 level of Wizard, 1 of Thief or Assassin, 60 Magic, 80 Stealth, Cape of Shadows artifact in LH 2. Avalerion is right, we may or may not want this. Plenty of other great class paths we can take if not.

Current Tally- 2 votes for Geri, 1 for Amos.

Still collecting votes next few hours, this is just a bump.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Go with Geri.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

My vote is for Sister Geri so we can become a punchwizard.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The previously established deadline has passed so...

Narrowing the Field posted:

You run to the right as Sister Geri and Amos urge you down the hall ahead of them. You look back in time to see Zusak clutching one of his Demon Stones in his hand while his soldiers advance. The Stone glows a deep blue as Zusak's eyes glaze over in concentration.

Meanwhile, Sir Grady and Lady Emaline ward against the attackers. The old knight holds his position like a figure out of legend, keeping the attackers at bay with his sword. Lady Emaline weaves in and out of the melee, her dagger striking vital areas with uncanny accuracy. All remnants of her earlier infirmities are completely gone.

- "For Daria, Queen Jade, King Brand, and Princess Renata! For Honor!"

- "Nothing is true, everything is permitted. Everything except weeds!"

Unfortunately, it isn't enough. Looking past Sister Geri and Amos as they hurry along with you, you see an enemy sword strike deeply into Sir Grady's neck as another slides into Lady Emaline's belly. Dozens of swords rise and fall in a shower of blood, killing the two defenders.

Amos grimaces as he watches Sir Grady and Lady Emaline's sacrifice. He then looks at you with an odd smile.

- "Better to die a hero than in a cell. If you need me to do that too, just say the word."

- "Come, we must away quickly. The bird before the storm."

You look back as you run through the castle halls and see the guards rallying in a valiant effort to fight back against the Consortium and their allies. For a moment you hope it will be a chance at victory. The enemy numbers are falling, they cannot last forever.

Then you hear shouted voices from the Consortium soldiers. Demonic names uttered, shouts of summoning intoned. Between the guards rallying to cover your retreat and the ranks of enemies closing in on you, Demons begin to appear.

The Demons commanded by the Consortium charge at the castle guards, whose swords are mostly ineffective against them. The Consortium holds back, recovering themselves while their Demons fight for them. You can see that your time of safety is very short indeed.

Not every Summoning is successful. You see some Consortium soldiers and mages' Willpower falter. The Demons they call upon leap at their weak-willed Summoners and eviscerate them before vanishing back to their home Plane. Other Consortium soldiers are overcome by a glassy look in their eyes. Some turn on their fellows while others fall on their swords, Demons smiling as they watch this before they too depart. The Good part of you is horrified by such sights.

Another part of you makes your hand reach for the Demon Stones in your own pockets. Maybe using one now can save your life.

Geri's hand locks on your wrist as you reach for the glow in your pocket. Both she and Amos halt and hold you still.

- "No, Princess! You are too young to know what you would do."

- "She's right. Don't look at me like that! You think someone like me doesn't know about Demon Stones?"

He stops and snatches a Rune-covered bag from a dead Consortium soldier, then opens it. The magic inside dissipates with a flare of light. You realize that this will always happen without a spell like Harmond cast at Zusak before splitting his bag open, and unfortunately you will never know such a spell. Amos empties out the now-useless Demon Stones within the Runebag. Afterwards he expertly picks the Stones from your pockets while Geri holds you. He then tucks them into the Runebag, which he stows in his vest.

- "Maybe when you're older, you can have those Stones back. I'll think about it."

You can only stare at him silently as he and Geri take your arms and again start to run. You look back before turning a corner and see guards dying in a storm of blood.

Through the spray of arterial red, you see a tall dark-skinned monster. It is seven feet tall, covered in muscle, and has a pair of long yellow horns sticking out of its forehead. The Demon Summoners have brought forth a mighty member of their servants. It is the same Demon you saw in the nightmare from that morning, now all too real.

You continue to run down the corridor, pulled along by Amos and Geri. Some enemies intercept you, but all are human and thus are quickly cut down. When you reach the last junction before the secret door to the tunnels, both your protectors pause and stare at you. Amos then looks back at the enemy ranks with a frown.

- "They've just about broken through the guards. Those Demons are coming. Lucien's fire! It's like Grady said. Someone needs to hold them off while the others get away."

You protest. "The tunnel wards..."

- "The wards will stay open for a short time after you enter the tunnels, Princess. They will come up again, but if the enemy gets in before that, it will be too late. The wards may also be dispelled now, with Harmond gone. They may have Wizards capable of such."

- "So one of us has to make a stand, the other flees with you. Give me a pardon, I'll gladly volunteer."

Geri smiles at him, then nods that she will do the same per your request.

You pause, then shake your head. You cannot choose to see another die for you so easily.

- "I thought this might happen. Another secret door to the tunnels is down that corridor. Would you kindly...?"

- "I suppose I must. I'll give you the Princess's Stones if she goes with you. They shall not have them. Noct take their dark hearts!"

Amos and Geri exchange nods, then both start to pull you in different directions. You look back and see the Demon from your nightmare advancing through several ranks of dead and dying guards.

The beast unfolds a large pair of bat-like wings from its back and flies over the bloody scene, landing just a few feet behind you and your final two companions. Each defender grabs you by a hand and pulls as you come to the last branch in the corridor, Sister Geri pulling left and Amos pulling right. As the Demon closes in, you...

1. Follow Sister Geri.

2. Follow Amos.

I just want to note that this part of the CYOA is powerful and makes good sense for gameplay and story, but I still really hate it. :cry: Especially after working with all the Mentors in all my playthrus and getting to know them so well. Fanfic writing makes it even worse.

On a second playthru here, if we do one, I will insist on a different Mentor. Fans denied here will have their chance then.

Still counting previous votes for Geri (3) and Amos (1), counting Fooly Charged's vote for Amos so he can have something, but we could use more. I'll give readers until around 1-2ish am CST to check in before proceeding with Geri if she's still ahead. Votes can also be re-affirmed or changed. I like either choice, both provide advantage.

Stats posted:

Stats

Renata, Princess of Daria

Health: 80%

Specialized Training: None

Possessions: Spellbook, three glowing rune-covered Demon Stones, one dull unglowing rune-covered Demon Stone.

Animal Companions, Pets, and Familiars- None.
Mounts- None.

MORALITY:
Good: 45% Evil: 55%

ABILITIES:
Agility: 22%
Charm: 33%
Endurance: 20%
Perception: 20%
Strength: 20%
Willpower: 20%

SKILLS:
Archery: 0%
Devices: 0%
Magic: 32%
Blades: 0%
Stealth: 13%
Unarmed: 0%

KNOWLEDGE:
Arcana: 41%
Geography: 30%
History: 30%
Nature: 20%
Religion: 35%

RELATIONSHIPS:
Gale (friend and future Rogue) 63%

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 27, 2017

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Amos

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, Amos

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Geri

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Geri is still ahead despite a rally for Amos. :) I appreciate all votes.

Fleeing posted:

Amos lets go of your hand immediately, allowing the bald monk to pull you to the left.

The Demon follows after you and Sister Geri, smoke billowing from its nostrils and mouth.

- "Run, Renata! The fate of the kingdom lies in your hands!"

He tosses the Runebag towards Sister Geri, who catches it and tucks it away. Amos then shakes his head.

- "So this is how it ends..."

The master thief salutes you with his shortsword. He then steps into the shadows before the Demon can see him. For a moment, you wonder if Amos has forsaken you as you watch the Demon advance.

Suddenly, the old man leaps onto the demon's back! You see his short sword hacking at the creature's wings as he holds on tightly with his other hand. It roars in pain and fury as it reaches back, grabbing him with a long-clawed talon. Amos is pulled free by the neck and lifted into the air by his throat. His nails dig futilely into the demon's forearm as it squeezes the life from him.

You stare in shock before Sister Geri jerks you away. She pulls at a bust of an ancient Daria King on the castle wall and a secret door opens. Sister Geri pushes you into the passage beyond.

Amos's last act before his sacrifice was to press the bag of Demon Stones you took from Zusak into Sister Geri's hand. She nodded and tucked them away. Now, you hold out your hand to her, pleading with your eyes. She shakes her head. You sigh and decide to wait for another time. The secret door and its wards close behind you. Sister Geri takes your hand and again you run.

As you progress through the tunnels, you see Gale and her mother Freda waiting for you at a junction in the passage. They fall in beside you. You can tell that both of them want to say things to you about all that has happened, but you wave them to silence. Until you can escape, you do not want to think about what you have lost.

Gale does ask one question, however.

- "Where's Amos? Is he..."

The tears in your eyes, soon echoed by Gale's own tears, are answer enough.

:cry:

Escape posted:

Sister Geri leads you through the tunnels, past all the exits you recognize. You blink when the aged hero opens a secret passage of which you were not previously aware.

- "This will take us outside the walls of Tornassa City. It comes out in the cellar of a roadside inn owned by a family loyal to the Thieves Guild and the Crown. They won't betray us. We can get horses there and afterwards flee and hide."

You proceed down the passage. There is a quiet resolve inside you, a burning desire to one day regain your throne and take revenge on Zusak. Those you have lost today, family and otherwise, will be avenged.

Gale puts a hand on your shoulder as you walk and gives you a sad smile of reassurance. You thank her with your eyes.

Finally, you and Sister Geri exit the castle accompanied by Gale and her mother. The sacrifices of the royal guards and the others aren't wasted as you and the old monk escape. You stumble into the night, out of breath and bleeding.

You make it to the roadside inn Sister Geri described and after the aged monk confers with the inn's owners, you spend the night in an unoccupied room.

The next morning dawns cold and gray. Shortly after waking, you find yourself staring out the window at a great column of smoke rising from inside the walls of Tornassa. You know that your castle is no more.

Gale and Freda attempt to comfort you.

- "Princess, I'm so sorry. I might have saved your family from the poison if I had been brave."

- "It's okay, Mom. You didn't know. You forgive her, don't you, Renata?"

You say nothing. The emotion of what has happened is too much for you and you do not want to damage your friendship with Gale through unkind words.

- "It will be okay, Mom."

- "..."

Gale's mother turns away. Gale herself meanwhile continues staring at you. The voice of Sister Geri breaks the silence.

- "Gale, you need to say goodbye to Renata after breakfast. Princess, you need to say goodbye too. Gale and her mother can't stay with us."

These words strike at your very soul. "What?"

- "Two people can hide easily in this realm, four less so. Don't worry about me. I will stay with you, protect you, help you grow up and get ready for what must come next. I owe your parents a lot. I will not dishonor them. But Gale and Freda cannot stay with us. It will be very dangerous for you the next few years."

- "What are you talking about? Renata's the Princess. She can just go to Brightwater and gather the loyal nobles there, get the army, get her throne back and kill all those bastards. Right? Right?"

Sister Geri is silent. You open your mouth to agree with Gale, but Freda interrupts.

- "She's right, my child. The bulk of the nobles who supported the King and Queen were not at the banquet, yet all the most prominent ones but for three were. None of the Dukes of Daria were at the banquet either. We know for a fact that at least one of them, Eddan, had troops helping the Consortium. Bandar and Uddo also disagreed with your family quite often recently, Princess. They might very well be part of this too."

- "Either that or they'll be glad to take advantage of the circumstances. This conspiracy did not rise overnight. Add to that the fact that you are still a child. Many would not trust you to rule Daria- a Regent would have to be appointed. And it's not clear who if anyone there is left for us to trust."

The aged monk falls to her knees and takes your hand.

- "So here's what we're going to do. I will hide you from whatever dangers may come until you are grown. I will help train you to develop whatever skills will be necessary to get you your throne back one day. I will support you as best I can, financially and otherwise. I will also do all I can to find out more information about the conspiracy that slew your parents and overthrew your kingdom. Then I will help you defeat it. All this, I promise you before the Gods."

She takes a breath, then speaks again.

- "But until you are grown, it is best you not seek to reclaim your throne or take vengeance. Therefore, I am keeping those Stones Amos and I took from you until you are ready to decide whether you should use them. That time is not now. You must also say goodbye to Gale and her mother. They will have to find their own way to safety apart from us. They'll be fine. The Gods will watch over them as they have us. Maybe you will see them again one day."

Sister Geri looks back at Gale with a deeply sad expression. She has a similar look on her own face.

You want to make a hundred different protests, but you know in your heart that Sister Geri is right. Gale is likewise convinced. So you hug Gale and clasp her mother's hand when it is offered to you. You eat breakfast with them, saying little. Afterwards, they depart the inn quietly. An hour or so later, you and Sister Geri depart yourselves. You take the road east from Tornassa to an isolated village, hoping you can escape and survive.

Six Years Later...

Summarized events ahead. Prepare for text wall.

Six Years Go By... posted:

The fall of the Kingdom of Daria was a significant turning point in history. Scholars called it a new age, which became known as the Age of Demons. This didn't happen all at once though. At first, it was thought to have been a tragic, but manageable event.

The morning after the castle was attacked found the entire royal family dead: King Brand, Queen Jade, and the heir to the throne, Princess Renata. Alexander Zusak was declared a hero as he led his Consortium soldiers against the attackers and saved several nobles. The attack was blamed on criminals, who poisoned the food being served in the banquet hall and released all of the prisoners from the dungeons. The royal guards were quickly overwhelmed and the castle was burned to the ground.

The surviving nobles gathered in the city of Tornassa to decide who should rule Daria. It took a year of deliberation before it was decided that the land would be better served by four leaders instead of one. The three former Dukes- Eddan, Uddo, and Bandar- were chosen as three of these leaders. The kingdom was broken into four duchies- thus, the duchies of Bandar in the Norgan Mountains of the north, Uddo in the great forests to the west, and Eddan of the southern plains and western wilderness were formed.

Each duchy was named after the duke who ruled it, except for the southern Dumain duchy, which was given to Selina, the red-haired woman who poisoned your parents. Her keen intellect was deemed invaluable during the chaotic aftermath of the assault. Duchess Selina was given the castle in Brightwater on the Silver Sea to rule the fourth duchy. The Kingdom of Daria was no more.

Those nobles who had supported your parents soon lost much of what influence they had remaining. Cumari lost re-election as Academy of Wizards Archmage and was replaced by his rival, a supporter of the Consortium of Planewalkers who was happy to let Academy control over Demon Summoning lapse. Cumari immersed himself in research afterwards, saying he was going to develop some unclear new magic. Only when his rival retired five years after your parents died did Cumari resume office as Archmage, his power and influence much reduced. Meanwhile, General Vale and Lord Tovar retained their posts as heads of the Daria Army and Treasury, but were forced to relocate themselves to Brightwater, seat of the government for the new duchy of Dumain. Tornassa remained Daria's largest city, but it was no longer the capital.

Title Drop!- The Lost Heir

And what of the Lost Heir? posted:

Obviously, you weren't really killed in the attack. Sister Geri said that the Consortium guards had flooded into the castle as the banquet began, but before any alarms had sounded. She said that she had seen Consortium guards clustered around the royal treasury as well. Rumours never spoke about the theft, but you knew that the rune-covered unglowing Demon Stone Alexander Zusak had been holding, now in your Mentor's possession, was stolen during the chaos. Sister Geri had rushed to the great hall in order to warn the king and queen with the other heroes who had died during your escape, but she came too late.

Your first instinct on the morning after the attack had been to return to the ruins of the castle and let everyone know the truth about what had happened. Sister Geri had taken the Demon Stones you stole from Zusak and asked you to wait and listen before revealing yourself. You quickly learned that the only surviving nobles had been the ones who were out of favour with your parents. All of those who would have supported your claim had been killed or driven away. You never did learn what happened to Gale and her mother after they left the inn, at least not for many years.

You had expected Alexander Zusak and the Consortium to claim rulership, but they simply took their praise for saving the surviving nobles and disappeared into the background. The only thing that changed, with regard to the Consortium, was that the three Dukes and the new Duchess lifted the Royal ban on Demon Summoning. The common citizen of Daria was now free to attempt the practice. Only the expense of proper training and a limited supply of Demon Stones controlled by the Consortium prevented such practices from taking hold during the next six years.

At least not until Lost Heir 2.

quote:

Everyone you had known was killed or had gone missing. Alexander Zusak and his allies were relentless as they sent men across the newly-formed four duchies in search of you. There was no doubt as to what they would do if they ever caught you.

Your Mentor took you from one isolated remote village to another during the first two years after your escape, assuring you that all would be fine as you hid from a pursuit that eventually declined.

So, to sum up events so far, we are now a deposed royal Crown Princess. Our family was slain and our castle destroyed by traitorous nobles allied with an evil Demon-Summoning cult with secret plans. They've taken over and radically changed the kingdom of Daria, although they haven't destroyed it yet. We're in hiding from them while we grow up.

Our Mentor has been good to us, mostly. They have kept us hidden and helped us where they could. We've gotten some stat bonuses from them and will get more starting next update. Yet they have also separated us from our childhood best friend, taken away the Demon Stones that might give us great power if we learn to properly use them, and denied us any chance to seek our throne back in the past six years.

How do we feel about all this?

Options posted:

As the years went by, one attitude has been predominant for you-

1.You are thankful that Sister Geri advised you to not do anything rash.

2. Although thankful, you still asked constantly for the Stones.

3. You are angry at Sister Geri for not letting you try to reclaim your throne immediately and stealing the Stones.

I usually take the first option, recognizing railroading and what's probably best, but you can pick whichever attitude you want. I'll move ahead with the majority vote this afternoon.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Thankful.

Amos is certainly a cool guy, but he's in jail for a legit crime so this kind of works out as his redemption. He and Grady are my favorite mentors too. :ohdear:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Be grateful. Three heroes sacrificed their lives for us and the fourth is dedicating herself to our growth.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

grateful

You'd think we'd be bright enough to mention that they seemed hell bent on that one stone in particular and that it could be worth investogating to her though. Weird that our only opinion on the stones is gimme, gimme I wanna summon demons.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Early update. We'll need extra time for the next decision.

Amos could have redeemed himself by dying for us or by raising us after our parents died. Either works. :) And don't worry, we are bright enough to be curious about the strange un-glowing Demon Stone the bad guys wanted. I'll address it below and in the future. We've just been kinda busy up until this point. And we don't really know what to do with Demon Stones either, as our Mentors pointed out to us. We may want the Stones to Summon Demons, we may want them to study for information. Unfortunately, the two are kinda mutually exclusive in this game, and it's unclear which we'd like to do right now. We can decide that when we get the Stones back.

Being Grateful posted:

The first couple of years were lonely and terrifying as you and Sister Geri travelled from town to town looking for work and trying to survive. It was all you could do to just stay alive, let alone think about your future.

Sister Geri continued your education as best she could using her own wisdom and knowledge. She also taught you a few meditative techniques to calm your emotions. Your good attitude towards her aided this.

(Sister Geri Relationship +3)

This means our Mentor Relationship bar starts at 58%. I wish all the social interaction events in LH were so easy.

Growing Up... posted:

As the years passed, you grew older and people forgot what you looked like. You kept your name, since so many other girls had been named "Renata" following your birth anyway. Three years after the death of your parents found you living in a Temple in Elmvale, a village in the newly formed duchy of Uddo. Sister Geri was old, but she was in amazing physical shape and her mind was razor sharp. She had been instantly accepted at the Elmvale Temple.

After three years, she had been given a permanent position as Librarian and Unarmed Combat instructor, providing you both with free room and board. Before that, Sister Geri's earnings were enough for you both to get by on- barely. You were thus able to live at the Temple until you were age 18. The scholarly life and access to the Temple library made your mind very sharp.

(Arcana +3)

Elmvale should be familiar to Life of a Wizard players as the hometown for your character in that game. We'd start out in a different business in Elmvale depending on our Mentor. Now for what the game fails to address for a while but the pace of an LP says we should address sooner than that. (A second run here might be bare bones.)

Plot Advancement posted:

Now and then as the years went by, you asked Sister Geri about the Demon Stones she had taken from you. She and you were in agreement that it would be dangerous to use them, but you were naturally curious about them. In particular, you wondered about the un-glowing one Zusak wanted.

Sister Geri only gave you vague information regarding the Demon Stones, unfortunately. But she did offer you other education during your years in Elmvale.

- "Those Stones can all be used to Summon Demons. Except the non-glowing one. I do know that specific Stone was a Som-Reth artifact kept in the Royal Treasury for centuries, but no more than that. It's possible one or more previous Court Wizards before Harmond studied the Stone. Harmond did not study it himself, as far as I know. I have asked trustworthy people who might know about it what they can tell me, but no one can provide exact answers. Every magic-user I've had examine it says the un-glowing Stone is full of power, but that power cannot be tapped. The Runes are too faded to read, and no Wizard I know is foolish enough to try activating the Stone without knowing its bound Demon's true name."

"What about the other three Stones I took?"

- "Those Stones' runes can be read, and thus they can be activated. But it would not be wise. I don't know much about Demons, but Summoning them is dangerous. They do not want to leave their home Plane, and bringing them here without the proper Willpower to control them can cause Demons to injure and perhaps even take control of a person. Your Willpower is untested, and while mine might be strong, I do not wish to apply it to this."

"Could I... try?"

- "Do you want to study the Stones or use them? One is hard to do without the other, I'm afraid. Hard to study a fire without touching it with your hand and observing its dangerous effects. We cannot get you proper training either. Sending you to Vernex to study at the Consortium's University of Demon Summoning would be too dangerous for you. I cannot afford the Academy of Wizards tuition. And you are too young to try using the Stones on your own."

You made a different approach. "But if I don't find out my enemy's plans and what they want..."

- "There is another way for you to challenge the Consortium."

"What's that?"

- "Remember how Harmond told you the Consortium sponsors adventurers to explore Som'Reth ruins and buys the unregistered Demon Stones they find? You could become such an adventurer, then approach them in such a way. It will take a few years of training, then once you're an adult you can join the Adventurer's Guild. After you have established yourself among the Guild, the Consortium should hire you. Or perhaps another opportunity will present itself. Does this plan sound good to you?"

You think for a moment about the possibilities, then nod. "Yes. I will be as the snake among their grass."

Sister Geri smiled at how you had picked up slightly on her idioms.

- "It will not be easy. There are four Skills valued by Adventurers. Physical combat, Magic, manipulation of Devices such as traps and locks, and Stealth. You would need a good amount of one Skill, more if possible, to get the best jobs.

"Physical combat can be divided into fighting with weapons such as Blades, ranged Archery, and Unarmed techniques. Of these, I am best able to give you the latter. You already have great Skill in Magic for your age. You have some Stealth Skill too. However, neither will be enough to meet adult challenges at your current level. I can teach you more.

"In areas where I cannot best teach you alone, I can find others to help me. Many people come by this Temple to worship or confess their sins. Thieves, Wizards, Warriors... I have already befriended many of these. The Priests here would gladly instruct you in their Magic too, if that was what you wished to learn. As for combat without Magic, I do have some personal expertise."

Although Sister Geri never forced her beliefs upon you, she did offer you her training in fighting without weapons, if you wished to learn it.

1. You studied martial arts.

2. You studied Magic.

3. You studied lockpicking and trap disarming.

4. You studied Archery.

5. You learned to fight with a Sword.

6. You studied the art of Stealth.

Ok, we can only get one of these Skill increases. Choose wisely.

Spoilers / Build Recommendations- Unfortunately this CYOA does not lend itself as well to multi-classing as it could. The first quest we'll undertake requires Skill Check 30-40 for its first challenges and it only goes up from there. LH2 and 3 require high levels for pretty much all their Skill Checks- they even give new characters who haven't played previous LH games max or near max levels to meet said challenges. We need to play to our strengths for success.

That said, the next decision is our first Class Level, and picking the right choice there will also increase our Skills. Priests get +20 Magic at first level, while Monks get an Unarmed bonus- I can't remember if it's +10 or +20 at first level, but it is good. We can qualify for either class, but if we want Monk, keep in mind they don't get Magic bonuses and we've missed a couple opportunities to increase Unarmed via childhood wrestling and instruction. If we take Monk at first level, we'd have to later increase our Magic through field exercise, non Class Level Skill increases such as the above Choice, or future Class Levels. Same for Unarmed if we don't become a Monk now (we don't have the Strength to be a Thug). We can't really get into a Stealth-increasing class without more Agility- Monk would give us that (they get Agility bonuses, I can't recall if Priests do), but not more Stealth at first level. Monks ain't Ninjas. :( Both Priests and Monks get great Knowledge bonuses in relevant areas.

Sister Geri's training in Unarmed combat will give us +30 there. We can get +20 for learning another Skill. Any Skill can later be supplemented with a class level. If we get Magic here, then Magic again as a Priest or later a Wizard (we can't be a Wizard at first level unfortunately), we will have some mighty Magic indeed. Ditto if we get Unarmed here, then Monk as our first job, though we won't punch as well as we might if we had gotten Unarmed bonuses earlier. Learning Stealth here can keep our level in that mid-range for this point and later we can get a Monk, then a Thief level, if we want more. All Skills can be increased through field exercise, but only if we can pass the relevant tests in the first place. This game doesn't give bonuses for failure. :(

Build the character you want, I'll work the LP around whatever readers decide. Next update after good majority on above choice, possibly late tonight or sometime tomorrow depending on votes.

Stats posted:

Stats

Renata, the lost Princess of Daria

Health: 100%

Specialized Training: None

Possessions: Spellbook, three glowing rune-covered Demon Stones, one dull unglowing rune-covered Demon Stone.

Mounts- None.

MORALITY:

ABILITIES:

Perception: 20%

SKILLS:
Magic: 32%
Unarmed: 0%

KNOWLEDGE:
Arcana: 44%
History: 33%

Religion: 35%

RELATIONSHIPS:
Gale (friend and future Rogue) 63%
Sister Geri, our Mentor 58%

Edit- Character Sheet corrected, sorry about that. All improved areas from first level in Bold. Cast Post also updated.

\/\/\/ Avalerion- Rangers and Hunters get Stealth. Druids I'm not sure. I don't recommend that path for our build though. Nature is our dump Knowledge stat right now. We can see if it improves by second Class Level when such classes are possible to take. They might be for us if we can increase our Nature sometime between now and then. Ranger's probably out unless we increase Archery at the current decision.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 27, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Martial arts is probably the more fun choice even though magic would be the safe pick here.

If we did want to use that stealth for something though... think druids might get some? This is so much easier if you have an actual plan in mind. :psyduck:

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 27, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Let's go with stealth. We're gonna be a sneaky wizard

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Pew pew Magic it up. Nothing better than trusting a teenager with reality warping powers, I always say.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Magic

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Bumping with Current Tally-

Magic 2.

Stealth 1.

Unarmed 1.

Further Notes from checking the game, spoilers- There will be opportunities in LH 1 to train Stealth and Magic later outside class level, ditto for Archery, Devices, and Blades plus all Knowledge Skills. We can't do much with Devices at such a low level as we'd get here though, at least not unless we got more training through class level and other opportunities later. Same for Archery and Blades. If we pick Unarmed, be aware that there are few opportunities to train that Skill outside Class Level. It is geared toward Monks and strong Thugs who should be using it a lot. Magic and Stealth, Unarmed if we pick Monk levels later, are probably the best picks for our current character to train with in the field.

The next decision is our first Class Level, so we can easily supplement Magic with that if it's still ahead at the next update, or possibly boost a Skill we don't pick here with training we get from our first Class Level. It is possible people are waiting for that decision's options. I will not reveal them until the polls close.

The polls on this decision will remain open until midnight CST tonight unless more time is needed to settle a tie.

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

I like the sound of a stealthy wizard.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Tie between Stealth and Magic, 2 votes each. 1 vote for Martial Arts also. I will keep the polls open 1 hour to break this tie, then roll on my dice app and update thereafter if no votes are made. Please check in and vote if you can and want to. Thanks.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Magic

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Stealth, just to keep the tie :v:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ok, per my dice app (rolled six sided die, odds was Magic, evens was Stealth, roll was 1) we have picked Magic for our training. Excellent decision.

Learning More Magic... posted:

Sister Geri was able to find you new spells for your spellbook and hire lessons from passing wizards. Although you were far from Academy trained, your skills still grew over the years.

The Temple's Priests and Priestesses also offered you some training in Magic. However, they could only teach you gestures and words common to Priests and Wizards. Without a divine Holy Symbol, you could cast no Priestly magic yourself. You became interested in taking such a Symbol and its associated vows, but you delayed making the final decision to a later time.

(Magic +15 and Arcana +5)

The Demon Stones that you stole from Zusak weighed heavily on your mind. It wasn't difficult to ask around about Demon Summoning, especially since it had been legalized. The Academy of Wizards still licensed Demon Summoners, but more and more people began to practice the skill without proper training. Strangely, it seemed as though the Consortium actually encouraged this, instead of trying to keep the power to themselves.

Unfortunately, your research never took you very far. You learned that the Summoner needed a Demon Stone to Summon a Demon, as well as the Demon's true name (which was written on their Stone) and the Willpower to control the beast. Throughout all of your research, you never heard much about an un-glowing Demon Stone or what such a thing could mean. Sister Geri kept that Stone as well as the others well hidden from you and discouraged you from talking about it.

After a few years of training, your life in Elmvale had become routine.

Ok, I misremembered the Magic increase we'd get. My bad. Note that our Magic stat is now pretty high- almost 50%. We can easily use Magic to solve game Skill challenges on the next few quests if there's an option to do so, particularly if it keeps increasing. That option isn't always available, though, and sometimes there are other issues that make it a bad idea regardless of Skill. Enemies immune to Magic, for example. Not saying we'll ever meet one of those, but we might. ;)

Open Spoilers until the quoted bit at the end of this post. Ignore if you wish.

Our next decision at the end of this update will be our first Class Level. With such a high level of Magic and constant training in the field we can now easily supplant the primary combat ability of the Class picked if we like. This makes for characters like a Magic-using Guard, Hunter, Thief, or what have you. All are possible. One of the good paths to a Class that requires two high Combat Skills, using the example of Rune Knight, is to get Magic early on and then let Class Levels help catch up your Blades (Rune Knight requires 70 of both Magic and Blades Skills at 4th or 5th Class Level, I doubt we'll get it with this build but it is pretty cool if you want to try for it on your own).

There are many Classes we can take, not all available at this time. Keep in mind that all Classes provide some form of training in various abilities, usually training appropriate for the profession. This training may differ in Skills and points awarded as one progresses to future Class Levels. For example, a first level Priest does not get a Charm bonus but a second level one might. A second level Guard may also get a lesser bonus to Blades than a first level one did, because this game does expect you to train in the field. Some Classes also offer a choice of bonuses at higher levels- for example in my run with Prince Thaddeus the Intimidator (who insists on being addressed by his full name and title, please don't ask me to do otherwise), I got the choice to pick an Unarmed or Blades bonus when I took my third level of Thug.

Multi-classing is possible, as previously discussed. So is creating a character with uncommon Skills for the profession- we might be doing that here. Keep in mind a few things, though.

First, every Class has prerequisites. Usually you need one certain Ability or Skill at a certain level. Sometimes you need more than one. And sometimes you will even require a level in a different Class to pick a new Class. Example- Knights have to be Squires first. There are also certain Classes locked by certain gameplay events. We won't be able to become a Vampire Lord this run because meeting a Vampire to infect us requires Petra instead of Gale. There are also certain side quests and Skill levels we would need to complete and attain to get the class. Without them, your character will never be infected with a Vampire's bite or pass the Skill Checks necessary to survive coming back from the dead as a Vampire Lord even if you maintain your infection (that's a choice in LH 2, and there is a benefit to your character with every option including choosing to resist and overcome). Maybe in subsequent runs on this board, or your own runs outside it, Classes we don't see in this run can be explored.

Many Classes have their own special side quests. We will see these in LH 1 and again in LH 2 and 3 depending on the Class we pick. Some Classes also get free equipment- Squires get a free Sword at first level if they don't already have one and they can get a free Horse later. Sometimes this equipment is of lesser quality than would be acquired otherwise and one must take a lesser salary payoff for getting it in such a way. Sometimes there is hidden benefit- keeping your free Squire Horse from LH 1 around for the Knight Tournament event in LH 2 is a very good idea. Only rarely will free equipment come with the Skill increases that accompanied our prized possession in the beginning of LH 1.

A number of Classes have special abilities that will help out in many situations. A Ranger, for example, can track and find hidden paths in certain areas. They can also befriend dangerous animals to stop them attacking, and even at higher levels tame those animals to serve as their animal companions. Similarly, a Bard can sing at certain moments to boost their comrades' fighting Skills. A Sage can find a hidden insight about a situation, a Thug can pull a dirty combat trick, etc. I encourage players to explore the LH games with each class to find all the special abilities.

With higher Class levels, special abilities often get more effective. Some special abilities are also tied to certain other character stats. I know of one situation in LH 1 where an Evil Priest of at least 70% Evil can command some dangerous Skeletons to stand down. If the same Priest has 90% Evil, they can control the Skeletons and make them harmlessly set off a dangerous trap in the same area. Good Priests meanwhile get better Healing Magic at higher levels of their Class and/or high levels of Good. Evil Priests get Healing too, but I know of at least one LH situation where high Good Morality is required to make your Healing succeed.

Note that using special Class abilities to solve problems does not always give out a Skill Increase. It's better to use high Endurance to survive a poison, for example, thus increasing your Endurance, than it is to depend on your natural poison immunity as a third level Druid. If you have the necessary Endurance, that is. And the option may still be there with no warning even if you're only a second level Druid with no such ability. My Assassin/Druid character Prince Noah found out the hard way he had no such power because he had multi-classed on his fourth level as a Dragon Rider. :( Even if he'd had the ability, using it would not have awarded an Endurance increase.

There will be five Class Level decisions as we progress. New classes open up at each. There is benefit to both powering up your current Class or Classes and taking new ones at each point. We will address future Class Levels we can take when they come up. I may put prerequisites in closed spoilers and cross out options we can't take at these opportunities- I'm trying to make this first run as complete as possible due to both increased enthusiasm and uncertainty regarding a second run here. Check the game yourself too, if you prefer.

All Classes earn a varied amount of the game's currency, Gold Pieces. There are other ways to get paid GP in the game, of course, but Class Level is the first one available. Of course, different Classes get paid in different amounts. Thugs, for example, are paid better than Guards (this will be further addressed when I discuss Game Morality in detail at a future point). Other times, pay depends on environment. A Bard will make far more money practicing their trade in a large city than they would in the wilderness. Special Abilities acquired can depend on environment also- a Ranger training in the northern tundra of Daria can pick up a Snowy Owl as an animal companion. A Ranger in the western wilderness can get an Owlbear or Tanuki instead. We'll address that choice when it comes up.

Wondering when we can spend Gold Pieces? First, let's get some. Then we can go shopping for the first time before we leave Elmvale on our first game quest. There will be several other opportunities after that. I won't let us skip any of them unless readers make that choice.

Ok, with all that said, let's see what Classes we can take. I'll let our Mentor do the talking for this. Again, skip to the decision if you prefer to make it blind.

Get a Job, Princess! :laugh: posted:

Two years before your eighteenth birthday, you were forced to get a job to help pay your bills.

You remember that day well, as Sister Geri stressed the issue. As was normal for your age at the time, you were reluctant to apply for a job on your own.

- "Renata, you are doing well in your studies in Magic, but I need to talk to you about something."

You lowered the volume of the magical Bard Music recording you were playing at the time in response to her hand gesture and listened when she repeated herself. "What?", you then asked your foster parent in appropriate tone.

- "You need to get a job."

"But I'm royalty!"

- "You haven't been royalty for several years, and you will not be royalty again if you do not get a job now. You need to see how your Skills will work in the real world, outside the shelter of this Temple. The tree must face the wind if it is to truly strengthen and grow."

"But..."

- "Please do not complain, Renata! I have made much effort to set up interviews for you with several Elmvale citizens. They are all very interested in meeting you. The Skills they can give you will help you get the chance to later join the Adventurer's Guild and investigate the Consortium of Planewalkers, as we have previously discussed. Also, I am cutting off your allowance to help you make the right decision here."

You think about her words for a moment, then sigh heavily. "Okay, fine."

Sister Geri smiles.

- "Now, with that out of the way, we should talk about the interviews I have scheduled for you. I know you'd prefer to think about other things, but this is important."

You would prefer to think about boys, an issue that has been on your mind a lot lately. Sister Geri has told you this is normal for your age. You have yet to meet any really interesting boys, but sometimes you do dream about them. Three boys in particular, and perhaps some other interesting boys. You think you may meet one or more of these boys someday, if you do not already know them. Sister Geri has talked a bit with you about boys, smiling as she reminds you on occasion of her own celibacy.

The boys are the farthest thing from your mind right now, though. "Tell me about these interviews please."

- "First, I am available as an employer. I will train you as a Monk. You will learn some skills in Unarmed combat, though not as much as were available at the previous opportunity I offered you. If you accept my training, you will also gain increases in Strength, Agility, and Endurance to supplement your Unarmed techniques. I will also give you additional Knowledge Skills, as it benefits a Monk to have obscure wisdom. I won't be able to pay you much out of my life savings, and I am the only Monk in Elmvale, so I cannot give you the special training you would gain from a fully equipped Monk Temple, but Monk Skills will help you regardless of both these hardships."

"Would I need to be celibate, like you are?"

Sister Geri smiled enigmatically.

- "No, Princess. It is up to you if you want to take such a vow. My Monk teacher, Grand Master Pei Mei, was quite the opposite of celibate. I am glad being a Monk interests you. However, before you make your decision, we should address the other potential employers I have lined up.

"One is the Archbishop in charge of this Temple. He has observed you taking interest in the various Gods worshipped here. You told me at one major point in your life you felt divine attention. It is possible such attention may come to you again if you seek it out. I would be surprised if you heard a divine call. but in a pleasant way, not otherwise. There is no vow of celibacy required for Priests, before you ask, nor any other vows unless you choose to take them on your own."

"What God would I preach for?"

- "That will be up to you and the God or Goddess in question. Both Good and Evil gods are worshipped here, and the Archbishop honors them all as I do, so he can direct you either way. I know your alignment is currently skewed slightly towards Evil, but you can easily change it back if you beg forgiveness from a good God and honor your devotion. Or you may seek to further serve the cause of Evil. I will not judge you for that even if others might. Know, however, that Priests of different alignments receive different special abilities. You may find blessings more useful than curses, or vice versa. You will gain the ability to heal yourself and your allies as a Priestess, and to smite your enemies with Magic, whatever your moral stance."

"What other training would I get as a Priestess?"

- "Some Skill in Blades, as most holy orders wield them. A bit of increased Strength and Endurance for standing vigil. Arcana Skill, as you learn to sharpen your mind, and Religion Knowledge, as you master delivering sacraments. No Charm at first level, you won't be making sermons as much as you might later on. But that time will come. You will also later get the chance to join a more established church than Elmvale if you become a Priestess now. There are many holy orders you could join, centered around both martial and magical strength."

"Okay, what else?

- "Another job that would be excellent for your sharp mind is that of a Sage. You would start by hiring yourself out as a Scribe in the Temple library for various clients. I know a few scholars who have expressed interest in you. Being a Scribe would gain you a lot of Knowledge and easily lead you to later become a Librarian, an Author, perhaps even a full Sage. Sages do not get combat skills, but your Magic could easily compensate. The Knowledge you gain will be valuable on its own."

"And if I pass on that?"

- "There are some employers whose criteria I am pretty sure you will not meet. The Elmvale chapter of the Thieves' Guild has expressed interest in your Stealth ability, but I know they only hire people of a certain Agility. You do not have as much of that as you could. Should you develop more Agility later, you may want to train in Stealth, Devices, and Blades as a Thief."

"You'd be okay with that?"

- "Amos was a friend of yours, and mine as well. If you want to honor his memory, go ahead. You also might honor the memories of the castle Guards who died to protect you by becoming a Guard yourself. Elmvale's Guard Captain, Antilles, is interested in meeting you. I don't think you'll have the Strength level he is looking for, but you might make a good connection if you meet him now. The Guards of Daria offer excellent training in Blades, Endurance, Strength, and Charm."

"Could I be a warrior outside the Guard?"

Sister Geri pauses before answering.

- "You could. There are some merchants in Elmvale who like to hire Thugs as personal security. Such a profession would give you increased Strength, Endurance, and Unarmed Skill. I do not think your current Strength level would impress any interested Thug employers, however. That may be a good thing. Your parents and I would be disappointed were you to become a common Thug."

"Well, if I can't do it right now, never mind. Anything else?"

- "The last job is as a Hunter. I have made the acquaintance of a local couple who own the Elmvale general store. They have a child about your age with whom I think you would be good friends. This child is training as a Hunter to later become a full-fledged member of the Fletchers' Guild and a freelance Nature Guide. You could train alongside him. Hunting can be quite lucrative. However, given your current lack of skill in Archery and Nature, you may not make much money as a Hunter if you become one at this time."

You have already met the young Hunter about whom Sister Geri is speaking and become good friends with them. Their parents must not know. "Couldn't I use Magic to Hunt?" you ask your Mentor.

- "Yes, but not as well as Archery. It makes far more noise. Your Stealth would serve you well as a Hunter, and being one would increase it along with your Nature knowledge, Endurance, Agility, and Archery Skills. But you will not earn very much without higher existing Skills in Nature at least. You'd also have to borrow a Bow. Hunters do not get such equipment for free."

"Ok, so maybe I won't be a Hunter."

- "Whatever you will be is for you to decide. Any of these jobs could help you take back your kingdom one day. They will all certainly get you a position in the Adventurer's Guild. Other than me, no employer will know you are the lost Princess of Daria unless you choose to tell them. I would not recommend that."

"Can I become a Wizard? I hear a lot of Wizards are from Elmvale."

- "That is true. Unfortunately, no local Wizards are seeking apprentices at this time. Any other questions?"

"Could you get me a job as a Bard, a Knight, or an Assassin?"

- "I lack connections in such areas. My apologies."

"Just checking, thanks. You have any recommendations for my job?"

- "Becoming a Priestess would best use and develop your Magic, a Scribe your Knowledge. You would find the Healing Magic you'd gain as a Priestess very useful. I would be most pleased if you became a Monk. As a Monk or a Hunter, you could develop Skill in areas where you are currently lacking. But it is up to you. Take as long as you need to for this decision, but not too long. Let me know when you decide."

"Yes, Sister Geri." You turn your magical music back on after she leaves.

Keep in mind all the Skill bonuses and requirements noted before and after this point are per my own memory. The game will correct me if I am wrong after each decision is made. Other posters may also correct me, but please do not spoil rewards for each decision or consequences of failure before the appropriate moment. I will address infractions if they occur.

I hope you enjoyed this slice of life for our Princess as a teenager. We'll get to decide who the Hunter friend Sister Geri mentioned is next update, and also meet the three boys Renata has been dreaming about and decide if they will really be boys when she actually meets them. It will also be a fun comedy bit. :D

So, the options for our first Class Level are:

Job Hunting posted:

1. Train with Sister Geri to become a Monk. Needs Sister Geri as Mentor, we can still take Monk levels later thanks to her connections.

2. Seek the divine call as a Priestess- which God will be picked next update. Not sure of requirements if any, high Religion probably helps.

3. Hunt the area around Elmvale. No requirements, but you want good Archery and Nature for increased earnings.

4. Join the Thieves Guild. Requires 30 Agility.

5. Join the town Guard. Requires 30 Strength.

6. Find work as a Scribe. Requires 30 Arcana.

7. Find work as a Thug. Requires 30 Strength.

8. Have Sir Grady's Knight friend take you on as a Squire (requires Sir Grady as Mentor).

9. Train to join the Guild of Assassins (requires Lady Emaline).

10. Work in the Full Cup Inn's common room as a Bard (requires Amos).

Prerequisites for each job are behind the above spoiler bars. Pick blind if you like. I will reveal the results of failure and/or success next update. As always, we are going with the majority decision as canon.

If we pick Option 2, I will count existing and advance votes for what God we worship as a Priestess (1 for Good God Hieronius, 1 for an unspecified Evil God, and 1 for Cthulhu of uncertain alignment, correct me if I'm wrong). I will also open the polls for an amount of time to let everyone participate in picking our God/dess. That will slightly delay our next decision, but it is important to do.

I will address the jobs we don't pick or can't get in original content. Build what character you like, good luck. Stats in previous update, add above increase.

Next update will be around 1700 CST tomorrow depending on votes.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Our magic is already good so scribe might be worth considering, but priest will make us godly indeed.

If so Good God Hieronius is fine.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Oct 28, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Monk

Always useful to know how to cast fist.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Monkmom is awesome. There's definitely a cheesy teen sitcom about Renata's high-school years. With that one wacky scene where Geri calmly tries to give the Talk in terms of rivers bending and the heron spreading its wings, while Renata keeps looking at the camera, completely mortified.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Megane- Glad the foster parent bit was enjoyed. I definitely would have written a different version for the other Mentors had one of them been chosen. One of my favorite bits in LH1 is the "you'll always be a child in their eyes, Mentor Relations +5" secret event we might get later, not saying more about that now. :)

Current Tally- Monk 1, Priestess 1.

God Tally- Hieronius Good 2, Evil 1, Cthulhu Uncertain 1.

I should clarify- I am only counting God votes made in advance, not Class votes made in advance. However, if at the time of update we are tied I will count those previous votes in favor of Priestess on this occasion. That class will use our current Magic strength and give us some healing Magic- very useful. If you guys want to build other areas with Sage, Monk, Hunter, etc instead, though, we can do that. Please vote before the update. Changed or reaffirmed votes are ok too. The decision following this one is another big story matter, so I want to give us a good amount of time on that as well. You'll see why.

Don't worry too much about Morality. If we pick a Good or Evil God, I will try to highlight the moments that might cause a serious shift to the other Morality extreme and risk us losing the God's favor. If we still want to do the good/bad deed in question, it will be up to readers to vote at the time. Most such moments are obvious in these games.

If we do shift Morality, I know that with the Dark Knight class there is one moment where you are reminded you need to be Good while training to be a Knight and can choose to either Beg Atonement or Deceive the Knighthood if you are Evil (Prince Barry chose the latter and it made him a Dark Knight when the time came). It is possible Priests get a similar choice where they can convert to Evil Gods if they were previously Good and vice versa. I have not seen such a moment because my Priests have always stayed on their chosen path of sinner or saint (Morality at least 50% Good/Evil).

I also know there is one point in LH 3 where you can convert to an active Evil God's Temple instead of destroying it (we'll deal with it when we get there) and one side event in LH2 where you can convert to a God who seems Evil but actually doesn't care about Morality (this God is called The Unknown). But we may or may not trigger that side event. We can role-play whatever shift in Morality occurs, and deal with the repercussions if any as situations arise. I will not insist on one Morality or the other, these games are fun either way. In a second run, we can do the other extreme if we pick one this round. Or we can shift constantly. That could be fun too. :)

More on Morality when we need to choose a God or when we face our first purely Moral decision. Whichever comes first.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

achtungnight posted:

in LH2 where you can convert to a God who seems Evil but actually doesn't care about Morality (this God is called The Unknown).

This is why I'm not voting for Cthulhu by the way, figured if we do go down that path he'd be a better candidate. :D

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'll vote for Scribe and go all-in on plumbing the depths of arcane knowledge.

...which I guess means that if we do go a religious route the best god would be Good Cthulhu.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
We are already quite proficent in casting magic but now we need to learn the ancient art of the Muscle Wizard. Go Monk.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Avalerion- Well, the Unknown's name can't be changed. I could use the Cthulhu head-canon I have for that God should we meet him, but if we pick Cthulhu in advance I can definitely go the route of-

- "I don't know who this Unknown God is, but he's certainly not me! :argh:"

Or we can do this scene-

- "You may not be able to pronounce my name, so please call me Unknown. Better I hide right now while you establish my faith in Daria anyway. Thank you for converting."

Whatever we decide to do is fine. I'm working on the Smiter's head-canon right now if we end up with him. Basing it off of this-

Class Tally- Priestess 1. Monk 2. Scribe 1. Still need to check advance votes I mentioned for possible tie (edit-checked, 3 votes, none reaffirmed as of yet, I will not count them unless they are reaffirmed or there is a tie at the close of polls).

God Tally- Good 3, Evil 1.
Specific God Tally- Heironeous 2, Good Cthulhu 1, Uncertain Cthulhu 1.

Polls on Class will close 1800 CST or thereabouts. I'll do a custom "Are You Sure?" decision where we can bow to a Good or Evil God, or back out and be a Scribe or Monk or Hunter instead at that time if Priestess is ahead. People will have until tomorrow afternoon to vote on the issue and the next decision can wait till the following day. Or we can press on to that decision if polls are still in favor of Monk or another class for which Morality is not a major concern.

One more thing- Class Side Quests are available at the times they appear if you have a level in the required Class. Only one level is necessary to get the quest, but more than that may be necessary to fully complete it. I had a character named Princess Pauline, a Paladin of Lucien who multi-classed at her fifth level after becoming a Paladin at fourth level. She was offered a magic Holy Avenger Sword but could not claim it because she needed 2 Paladin Levels to do so instead of 1. So she had to take lesser rewards instead. The LH series has a lot of replay value. :)

Classes I know have Side Quests- Squire, Bard, Assassin, Thief, Druid, Priest, Paladin, Dark Knight, Monk. I haven't seen side quests for other Classes, although I have not played every Class. Every Class gets special abilities and rewards throughout the game. I'll highlight opportunities when I can to the best of my memory, depending on the classes we take, and invite others to do the same when the appropriate events are over. That should fulfill the spoiler policy and preserve suspense. I'll allow a full discussion of all possible Classes after we complete our first run before our second if we want it at that time.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 28, 2017

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ok, after waiting a bit more time, we are Monk 2, Scribe 1, Priestess 1. We are becoming a Monk! Maybe other classes will have more luck at future points.

Job Interviews and Success posted:

Following Sister Geri's wishes, you considered your potential jobs. You met Captain Antilles of the Elmvale Village Guard and Guildmaster Solo of the local Thieves Guild. Both were impressed with your Magic, Stealth, and Knowledge but neither was willing to consider you as an employee. You were fine with this for the moment and accepted their recommendation letters to use should you consider their professions later and gain the required Strength or Agility to apply again.

You rejected interviews with Elmvale's Merchants who wanted to employ Thugs, as you lacked the evident Strength necessary to impress them. You noted Sister Geri was somewhat relieved.

You then allowed your Hunter friend's parents to interview you for the Hunter job. Your friend sat in on the meeting displaying their usual shyness. You shook hands with their parents and thanked them for their time. They could tell you were uncertain, and you noticed the same emotion from both them and your friend. So you made no firm commitment towards becoming a Hunter at the time.

You then returned to the Elmvale Temple and considered the paths of Priestess and Scribe. You found yourself interested in both, but neither drew firm committment at present. If a God was watching over you, surely they would continue whether you became their Priestess or not. It was not clear if gaining divine power was the best choice for you at this time. New Knowledge gained for working as a Scribe also held some interest for you, but a greater part of you wanted to train in physical combat instead. The Archbishop of the Temple understood when you explained all this to him- it was impossible to be anything but honest when faced with his wise patient expression- and promised you a letter of recommendation should you choose to become a Priestess or Scribe at a later time.

After speaking to the Archbishop, you finally returned to your foster mother Sister Geri and bowed before her respectfully. "I have decided."

- "And?"

There was only a moment's hesitation. "Please teach me the ways of a Monk."

Such a path had interested you before, but only now could you commit to it. Sister Geri's pleased smile was your first reward.

- "I would remind you that the primary combat ability of a Monk is Unarmed techniques, not Magic. You have been preferring to train and use your Magic up until now. Thus you will need to rely on your Magic in dangerous situations in the beginning of your adventures, at least until you can find ways to increase your Unarmed Skills and catch them up to your Magic's level."

"I understand."

- "There will be a few such opportunities I can arrange. I will have letters of recommendation sent to the Monk Temples in Ludd, Tornassa, and Brightwater should you visit them later and choose to continue developing your Monk abilities. I will also offer you training should you ever visit Elmvale and I am available. Or you might even visit one of the more remote Monk Temples in Daria."

"Where are those?"

- "There are two. One adjoins the Academy of Wizards. My own teacher resided there, when he was alive. The other remote Temple is in the Norgan Mountains to the north. It is known as the Eye of Heaven. The abilities in which they can train Monks there are tempting to many. But I must caution you regarding that Temple. I could not get you accepted there. I have never studied there myself and, even if I had, they would not make the decision to admit you on my opinion alone."

You file this information away. "Thank you. So how will this training proceed?"

- "You will see."

Every day for the next year, Sister Geri allows you to observe, but not join, her martial arts classes in the Temple. Instead, you are directed to perform mundane tasks such as cleaning the floor or painting the walls while observing the other students. This frustrates you for a time, until Sister Geri at last points out the similarity between the movements in your chores and the movements of her various techniques. Once your discipline and physical form are ready, you are allowed to join the martial arts classes. You observe many other students wash out during this time.

After you start taking the classes, you learn many techniques for punching, kicking, and wrestling. Sister Geri reminds you not to supplement your performance of such techniques with Magic, less frequently as you follow her instructions. You come to appreciate the power of your Unarmed ability and recognize that it will always be available to you, whatever your circumstances. You do not become the best student Sister Geri has, but she is nevertheless pleased with your dedication. Each night before bedtime, she gives you a book from the Temple Library whose passages you are to memorize. The exercise regimen decreases over time, replaced with more classes in martial arts and scavenger hunts for Knowledge Sister Geri directs. As your 18th birthday approaches, your mind and body have both grown in response.

You also kept up your Magic Skills when you could, keeping them as your primary ability for the moment. You train as a Monk, but do not take any vows. Sister Geri gives you your usual allowance while you train, and you set aside savings for the future.

The profession of a monk is more than just a job; it's a lifestyle. With deep studies of philosophy and strict discipline for the body, the monk learns to hone their own form into a weapon. Although Sister Geri never pushed you into this career, you can tell that she is very pleased with your choice.

(Gained level in Monk, Unarmed +20, Religion +20, History +10, Perception +10, Gold +130, and Sister Geri Relationship +5)

A week before your 18th birthday, Sister Geri meets with you.

- "Renata, you have reached the limits of what I can teach you in the time we have. I know you are eager to set out as an Adventurer, so I release you to do so. The local Guildmaster of Adventurers, Kirk Sisko, has accepted your application."

"Thank you, Sister Geri."

- "There is, however, one final test I would give you."

She assumes a fighting stance. You smile and do the same. As you spar with one another for the next hour or more, your techniques are further refined.

I guess I mis-remembered again. Monks don't get bonus Strength and Agility, maybe not at first level anyway. Maybe we need to stop relying on my memory. :( Let's move on.

Ok, so for the past two years this has been Renata’s job. Her life in exile has not been easy, but at least it has given her some money and Skills. Her mentor has been good to her, as best they can. And she’s also made a new friend whose gender we’ll pick soon.

Renata’s Current Life Plans are to quit her job and set out adventuring on her 18th birthday, meeting companions and seeking treasure. Perhaps she will find answers to why Zusak killed her parents and how to fight back against him and his allies. Sister Geri supports this, but is too old to accompany Renata on her initial adventuring. So Renata will have to complete quests alone. She plans to spend her last day in Elmvale with a shopping spree for adventuring gear, then meet her best friend for a quiet evening social event. Perhaps they will train, get drinks, make out, or maybe just talk.

But there is something she does not yet know.

Renata will meet three great potential friends during her travels in addition to her current good friend.

One is her former childhood best friend, Gale the castle cook’s daughter, who may or may not be a friend again. The other two friends and her current friend are new characters whom we are about to fully bring to life.

Renata does not now remember it, but she had important childhood encounters with all these friends at some point. They will all figure in her quest in important ways. It is possible that she may develop differences with them, but per the plot they will remain her loyal companions regardless, unless of course they die. Perhaps, if she stays in their good graces, they may even save her life. She may have significant influence on them, place them on the path towards or away from the Dark Side, and perhaps help one fulfill their grand ambition. If one is a man to whom she is attracted, she may even fall in love with them and one day make them her husband, King, and father of her child.

It is the latter matter which is of key concern to me in writing this LP right now. So it seemed best to address the gender of Renata’s future potential friends for LH 1 at this point. It seemed fun to do it a certain way. Please indulge me. Let’s Play….

The Daria Dating Game![/quote posted:

"Hello Audience, I’m your Ghost Host Jim Lange!

"You all know Princess Renata of Daria, Lost Heir in exile, our current contestant. She is currently eighteen years old, and about to begin a grand quest to take back her kingdom from the evil Demon Summoning sorcerer that overthrew and murdered her parents. She has the ambition to do this and a good portion of the required Skills. But there is one important thing she does not have that will be important to her people. That is a husband with whom to one day produce her own Heir to the Throne.

"Renata has many potential suitors. She has already rejected two of them- Gill, a fun-loving whimsical Rogue, and Peter, an uptight strongly moral yet also open-minded Cleric. They have not been fully rejected as friends, mind you, just as potential love interests. Renata has replaced them with their female equivalents Gale and Petra. Only Gale will have a significant non-Easter Egg impact on her current life.

"Now that she is an adult, Renata is about to meet three additional friends. I would like to introduce them as our Eligible Bachelors. Their names are Karl, Theo, and Jace. All of them will adventure with Renata and aid her in various ways.

"Should she attain at least 60% relations with them, they will train her. 70% means they will tell her their full backstory and grand ambitions. 80%, and they will gladly let her court them as love interests, provided she is attracted to them of course. It is also possible that certain other high stats such as Charm, a certain Morality, and a Physical Trait in one case will attract the Bachelors anyway should Relations be low and Renata attempts a Romance.

"All these friends have the potential to dislike Renata and thus not date her. We will not be addressing her choice between them just yet. Our big upcoming decision is only to set their gender. Will Renata consider these Bachelors as potential future husbands? Or will she keep them as mere potential friends and turn them into their female equivalents Karla, Thea, and Jess?"

Alright, Jim just told y'all what we need to decide next.

Keep in mind that gender is no barrier to potential negative relations. If Renata does not adequately befriend her companions, they may end up her wannabe ex-stalkers if male, and her former friends who now resent her if male or female.

Also keep in mind, the same is now true of Gale. She and Renata will meet again, but they may find themselves drifting apart after doing so, developing opposing interests. It is also quite possible that Renata’s friends will not get along with one another and she will have to mediate problems. Gale has her own backstory and grand ambition which she developed in the years she spent apart from Renata. I will not spoil it here.

It is more important right now that we address her three upcoming friends. First, their actors and head-canons.

Karl- Liam Hemsworth.
Theo- Dwayne Johnson.
Jace- Tom Hiddleston.

And their female equivalents- Karla- Alona Tal.
Thea- Gina Carano.
And Jess- Katie McGrath.

These characters are all around Renata’s age in the story, but a little "Dawson Casting" artificial aging seemed proper for their inspiration cast. Gale's inspiration actress is Dakota Fanning, while Petra’s is Evan Rachel Wood (cast for her history of sexed-up roles versus her opinions regarding such expressed in interviews, I think she's crying out to play something different). I am not sure who their male equivalents would have been.

Jim, back to you.

Dating Game! posted:

- "It is important to consider who of these friends should become Renata’s love interests. So, let us first consider…

"Bachelor Number One, Karl!

"Karl is an Archer type character, a long range fighter. He is also an expert Hunter and Nature Guide. His hobbies include camping in the wilderness, tracking and shooting game, and crafting magnificent arrows. Karl’s grand ambition is to create the Infinity Arrow, a powerful arrow that will never miss its target and instantly end a combat encounter if used. Of course, only Karl can use it, and he can only use it once. If he never uses it, perhaps it can be studied and Renata might thus learn to craft other magical items herself one day.

"By birth, Karl is a peasant lad. His parents are from Elmvale, where they own and manage a general store in which Karl works. Karl’s father is a big wheel at the Fletchers’ Guild, which crafts bows and arrows. He wants Karl to follow in his footsteps one day. Karl is unsure about this. While his Skills would allow him to be an excellent Fletcher, he longs for something greater. Perhaps Renata can lead him to that path.

"Karl and Renata are already friends when they meet, and may have been dating enough to have begun a romance already. It’s an uneasy romance if so- Karl is painfully shy and fears Renata will not stay true to him if she leaves Elmvale. He is not going with her on her first few quests, but will join her later once fate leads Renata back his way. If Renata has remained true to him since then, he will gladly date her again, but if not, rejection is in their future. So is bitterness.

"Another issue- Karl does not currently know that Renata is the Princess of Daria. She may have to tell him one day, especially if they are to remain close. His parents may or may not approve of their engagement.

"Everyone thinking good and hard about Karl? Ok, before we decide his gender and potential status as Renata’s love interest, let’s meet…

"Bachelor Number Two- Theo!

"Theo is a warrior from the Norgan Mountains, a snowy tundra area in Daria’s northern Bandar province. His people have warred with Daria in the past, but are currently part of their since expanded Kingdom. Theo is a veteran adventurer who will lead Renata’s party when they first get to know one another. He may even offer her a position as co-leader for their second quest together if she can put up the requisite Relationship level and funds.

"Theo’s hobbies include working out constantly to maintain his Strength, hitting things with his massive war hammer, brawling, and drinking alcohol to excess. He cares deeply about his fellow adventurers and is willing to help outfit them with his own money and protect those who are weaker than him. He may even train those who become his friends.

"Theo is in fact an exile himself, like Renata, although he will not tell her this when they first meet. He was once a prominent member of his tribe, engaged to marry the Chief’s child. A treacherous adviser of the Chief killed Theo’s fiancée, framed Theo, and got him set loose to wander the world. Theo hopes to one day develop the courage to go back and confront that traitorous snake, perhaps regain his old position. In the meantime, he is carrying a significant grudge. It does not help that he is often mistreated by people he meets. People see Theo as little more than a big dumb smelly drunk barbarian, when in fact he is intelligent, perceptive, and loyal to those who prove themselves to him. He may be swayed to turn against those who upset him in a violent manner if Renata wants to influence him in that direction.

"Take note that, if Renata is to befriend and court Theo, she must not woo him in the usual way. In the Norgan culture, physical attraction is not the only thing by which one judges a potential mate. Gifts of flowers and flirting do not move Norgan warriors without significant existing friendship. You must show that you have strengths to match your love interest, physical or otherwise. Norgan warriors respect those who earn their respect. If Renata is weak, Theo will be her shield but not give her his love unless she first becomes his respected friend.

"Considering Theo? Still considering Karl? Before you make your final decision, please also consider…

"Bachelor Number Three- Jace Solway!

"Jace is a wounded, brooding soul- literally. He is a magic user by trade, a former student of the Academy of Wizards. He was expelled for expanding his power level by fueling his magic with his own life force, a practice known as Soulburning. This practice has greatly increased Jace’s magical strength, but left him an apparently shallow and often cold individual. He resents the Academy and its Archmage for expelling him and resents people in general for judging him as an evil warlock. He might one day give in to and accept such station in life, if Renata influences him onto that path. Jace may also continue to reject that path, as he is personally disgusted with the idea of being Evil. While he respects power, he secretly wants to be kind and helpful to others and use his power to that effect.

"Jace originally attended the Academy hoping to learn the history of Soulburning, a talent with which he was born. He hopes to find a way to use his power without depleting his life force. He does not know that doing so will mean he has to use the life force of others instead. Renata will have to help him find this knowledge by going back to and graduating from the Academy. The new Archmage, an ally of Renata’s parents, will tolerate and sponsor Jace, if he has her help.

"It is possible Renata may convince Jace that hurting others to fuel his Soulburning is necessary for the greater good. Perhaps, if she gets close enough to him and has a high level of Magic and Endurance, she may even be able to help Jace research a ritual to make her his Soulburner Catalyst, a being that can give a Soulburner nearly infinite life force to fuel their magic at no cost to either party’s life force. But the ritual to become a Catalyst is long lost in the distant past and unknown today.

"If Renata is to court Jace, she will have to break through his cold shell and get him to open up to her. This will be difficult, as his Relations with her start out lower than anyone else’s. Jace’s hard life has harshened his attitude towards others. But there is a certain value in befriending and soothing a wounded soul.

"Jace shares Renata’s interests in Magic, History, and academia. Additionally, he can teach Renata to strengthen her Willpower for Demon Summoning, should she decide to pursue that art. He may even still train her if another man better fits her romantic tastes.

"Whoever Renata picks, she will have challenges. She will have to get and keep her potential lover’s interest and retain them as a friend even if they are not a lover. She will have to help them on the path of the adventurer. And even if they are still dating in the second Lost Heir game, it is possible someone may find them an unsuitable lover for Daria's future Queen.

"So, all this in mind, please make your preferred decisions for whom Renata might woo during the rest of LH 1. Our three Eligible Bachelors await your votes."[/b]

The Dating Game was an old game show that ran with its depicted host before I was born, but I understand it was pretty iconic in its day. Writing this was fun. :) Apologies to real Dating Game fans if I got anything wrong.

We are not addressing Romance for Renata with this decision, just potential Romantic Partners. We will get our chance to meet any potential Partners at the proper time and see how she connects with them. I only want to set their genders right now. If you want to lock out a certain love interest based on the above information from Jim Lange, this is your chance to do so. If you want to see a certain character as Male and thus a potential love interest, this is also your chance to thus vote. I figure it best serves LP time and interest to make this decision now, but if you prefer to do it the game's way let me know that too please.

So, again the choices are-

Please Decide Gender for... posted:

#1. Karl or Karla.

#2. Theo or Thea.

#3. Jace or Jess.

Please vote on any or all of the above options as per your preference. Multiple votes for character gender will be counted. Tally, then next update tomorrow around 1700 CST at the latest. I may move us ahead tonight if we get a firm 3 point or more lead on all genders early on. I know people are eager to get to the action.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 29, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I think that clearly they should All be female. We are a strong independent woman who don't need no bloodsucking leech that we would have to share power with man!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Karla, Theo, Jace.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Avalerion posted:

Karla, Theo, Jace.

Let's go with this.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Last night here was slower than I expected. Hope people had fun on their Halloween Saturdays.

Tally-
Karl 0 vs. Karla 3.
Theo 2 vs. Thea 1.
Jace 2 vs. Jess 1.

I'm keeping this tally, but first I need to say something.

I've changed my mind on how to proceed from the earlier decision based on low voting.

Romance is often among the best written and most fun parts of these games. IMO, Lost Heir is no exception. Also, there is an achievement in LH 1 called Love Endures which requires our character to find a romantic partner and keep them alive. I hope we are not locked out of this achievement (the easiest and most fun IMO) due to inattention.

All the romance in LH is well-written and worth exploring IMO. Therefore, just in case Karl has any fans here, I am giving them additional time to jump in. Theo and Jace have the same amount of time, but all three will lock down genders at the next update.

I have no plans to embellish the romance aspects of the game. I'm actually getting burned out on that part of the LP anyway, so I'm stopping it at least for a while. Maybe it will come back when/if my interest returns. For now, I'm just gonna put the game up as written, minimal changes, and hope people will vote seriously per their interests. You have the character info spoiled above, but please make your own decision. I want to have fun with this LP, I hope you do too.

So let's return to our present moment-

Renata's Last Day in Elmvale posted:

You finish your kata, leaving your body in the ready position. You are lightly covered in a sheen of sweat from your workout. Sister Geri watches you with a critical eye, her bald head shining in the torchlight. The straw mats on the temple basement floor provide little comfort, but instead help prevent injuries during practice. You open your eyes and start walking to the door.

Sister Geri speaks as you pass her.

- "You could make a life for yourself here."

"No, my destiny lies elsewhere."

Tomorrow is Midsummer's Day, the day when everyone in the realm celebrates their birthday. You will be turning eighteen. More importantly, you will be an adult in the eyes of the guilds. With limited money and resources, you had decided a long time ago that the best way for you to fight back against the Consortium and the Dukes who stole your crown was to work for the Adventurers Guild.

The Adventurers Guild is the backbone to the entire guild system. Although many people join more than one guild at a time during their lives, it is the Adventurers Guild that provides the most lucrative jobs and opportunities—which you will need in order to find out why Zusak killed your parents and to reclaim your throne, if you choose to do so.

The game doesn't allow you to do otherwise than try to reclaim your throne. Maybe it was once planned to have things go another way. Also, everyone in Daria celebrates their birthday on the same day? Must cut down on presents and other expenses.

Back to the game after side notes posted:

"I'll see you tomorrow," you say as you walk out the door.

You have purchased most of what you will need for life on the road, but you still have a few things to buy before you go. So you head for the Elmvale general store. Your friend will be working the counter when you get there.

1. Visit Karl, the fletcher's son.

2. Visit Karla, the fletcher's daughter.

I will create Karl or Karla based on your votes next update. Still counting the votes we have in advance for Karla unless they are changed. I'll accept votes on the other two characters (barbarian fighter Theo/Thea and dark brooding mage Jace/Jess) up until the same point, again I'll still count what we have. We can choose to Romance or otherwise later when we meet the characters, only gender is on the table right now.

See you around 1700 CST.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I'm going to go with Karla, Theo, and Jess, mostly because MTG has made me hate the name Jace.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

megane posted:

I'm going to go with Karla, Theo, and Jess, mostly because MTG has made me hate the name Jace.

Same.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Final Companion Gender Tally
Karl 0 vs. Karla 5.
Theo 4 vs. Thea 1.
Jace 2 vs. Jess 3.

Looks like we're creating two new gal-pals for Renata and one possible boyfriend. That means we may get a traditional warrior and sorceress thing going later. No problem with that here. :) Theo should work out for one of our possible Monk side-quests too. I'll remind readers about Romance when we can first introduce ourselves to the big guy. Cast page will be updated as the new faces appear in the actual game.

Visiting Karla posted:

You leave the Temple and head for the Elmvale General Store. As you walk, you recall your acquaintance with the owners' daughter Karla. You first met her while walking through the woods shortly after you moved to Elmvale, when you observed her practicing Archery and became curious about her skills. She was glad to display them for you and chat with you about life in Elmvale. You share an interest in developing Combat Skills and Geography.

Since that first day, you and Karla have hung out in the woods together now and then, but never really gotten to know one another beyond a basic friendship. Karla's shyness gets in the way of developing things further, although she has mentioned a certain grand ambition to you at times.

Karla once told you she met a child who looked like you during a visit to Tornassa she and her parents made over a decade ago. That child was lost in the city streets and Karla helped them find their way back to the castle. She never got the child's name. You do not recall this happening, but you have not disputed the memory. If it did occur, you would have been only seven years old at the time.

Karla is thin and blond with nimble slender fingers. She's good at making arrows and one of the best Archers you've ever met. She also knows the best routes to travel around Daria from spending so much time listening to people buying things in her store and her own Skills in Geography. She is quiet and shy with a gentle demeanor.

You enter Karla's parents' store, seeing the vast array of arrows and quivers displayed for sale along with many other items for the intrepid adventurer. She is sitting at a small table with a tray of feathers, a pot of glue, and unmade arrow shafts. She looks up as you enter, a smile on her face.

- "Hi, Renata. How you doing?"

Karla puts down the arrow she was working on and walks to the counter as you approach.

1. Ask, "Any luck with that Infinity Arrow?"

2. Ask, "Can you get out of work early today?"

3. Stick to business and buy what you came for. You have no time for friends.

The first option above is free, but taking either of the later options first locks it out. I'll count all votes to Befriend (Option 2) as votes for Option 1 also and the possible side quest it will unlock later. Befriend also unlocks Charm Increase and Training opportunities with Karla after shopping. If you don't want to Befriend Karla, just vote for Option 3 (costs under spoilers above).

Next update (tomorrow morning around 0900), we'll go shopping! ;)

Stats posted:

Stats

Renata, the Monk

Health: 100%

Specialized Training: 1 Monk level.

Belt Pouch with 130 GP.

Mounts- None.

MORALITY:

ABILITIES:
Perception: 30%

SKILLS:
Magic: 47%
Unarmed: 20%

KNOWLEDGE:
Arcana: 49%
History: 43%
Religion: 55%

RELATIONSHIPS:
Gale, friend and future Rogue 63%
Sister Geri, our Mentor 63%
Karla, Archer friend 60%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Friend, do you wish to depose our ruler and put me in charge?

• Locked thread