Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Let's Save Daria! Let's Play The Lost Heir Trilogy from ChoiceOfGames.

Greetings. This is AchtungNight, author of a previous thread on these boards, starting a new LP for your viewing pleasure.

The subject here is The Lost Heir Trilogy, from publisher ChoiceOfGames & author Mike Walter, aka Lucid. You may know him as the author of Life of a Wizard & Life of a Mobster, both of which have been LPed on these boards. Click the game names for links to the threads. Life of a Wizard requires archives, while Life of a Mobster currently has its second run underway and open for participation.

So what is this game? Well, the Lost Heir Trilogy is Lucid's currently newest and longest work, an epic fantasy trilogy of Choose Your Own Adventure games. In his words, copied from a post on the ChoiceOfGames (CoG) forums-

Lucid on CoG posted:

'You are the Prince/Princess of Daria and sole heir to the throne. A group, led by Alexander Zusak, comes to the castle from the Consortium of Planewalkers, which common people rudely call Demon Summoners. One of Zusak's associates, a woman named Selina, poisons the banquet while a second, Thuja, uses his mercenaries to free the prisoners from the dungeons. Your parents are killed and Zusak steals a Demonstone from the royal treasury.

You escape with one of four people who becomes your foster parent (Sir Grady, an old Knight. Amos, a Thief from the dungeons. Sister Geri, a bald Monk. Or Lady Emaline, an old lady who is actually the royal Assassin). During the escape, you steal several of Zusak's Demonstones, allowing you to later learn the art of Demon Summoning, if you wish. The murders and robbery are blamed on the escaped prisoners and the Kingdom is torn apart. Four duchies take its place, with Selina ruling one of them. You grow up in exile, learning a trade of your choosing (bard, squire, assassin, monk, fighter, thief, wizard, ranger, druid, sage, guard, scribe, good/evil priest... they all open up over time and I try to make them all individually meaningful).

You join up with a childhood friend (cleric or thief, your choice), another friend you met in exile (an archer), a large fighter and a spell caster with a dark past. With varying success, you can find magical artifacts and learn to summon demons yourself as you plot to confront Zusak and his companions while unraveling the reason behind your parents' murder and the nefarious plans he has in store for the fallen kingdom.'

This saga unfolds over an epic trilogy of games. In the first game- The Lost Heir 1: The Fall of Daria, our character loses his/her parents to Zusak's plot, escapes the royal castle and grows up in exile with their mentor, then sets out adventuring. They meet the rest of their eventual companions, go on a few plot-important quests, and eventually set out to confront Zusak at his base. In that confrontation, they naturally fail to defeat the Big Bad, but they do get to kill his Brute lackey Thuja, at varying cost and with varying reward depending on choices. Afterwards, they must escape Zusak's base and hide in one of four places.

The second game, Lost Heir 2: Forging a Kingdom, has our character start out in the area where they went to hide at the end of Lost Heir 1 (you can choose which area whether or not you have played Lost Heir 1, but you lose out on some choices & accompanying bonuses if you didn't play the first game). You must survive some dangers in the starting area, pick up some training, then set out to reunite the Kingdom of Daria by trying to retake your throne and overthrow the Dukes allied with Zusak. Difficulties include rescuing two companions from Selina's dungeons (they were captured last game, no way to avoid it, but we can pick which two get captured), a diplomacy section where you must convince various nobles and common people to respect you, and an army section where you must build up a strong military force and then go to war against Selina and the Dukes. You ally with various demihumans, march across wilderness, conduct raids and a castle siege, and do various other epic fantasy stuff. There is also the development that SPOILERSone of your companions has been corrupted into Selina's Chief Minion, whom you must fight as the game boss. This game ends with the Dukes and Selina defeated (again at varying costs and rewards depending on our choices), but then of course Zusak shows up and enacts his masterstroke, forcing us to fight him next game.

The third game in the trilogy is Lost Heir 3: Demon War. It is IMO the weakest part of the trilogy, but still a worthy conclusion. In this game, our character must first recover from the demon invasion Zusak started at the end of last game (obstacles vary depending on success against Selina in the previous game's climax or choices if you started with this game). Then they must journey in secret across the Kingdom of Daria to finally uncover Zusak's exact plans and motivations, gain the artifact necessary to defeat Zusak's Demon Lord, then thwart Zusak by venturing to the Demon Realm and back. Again, whether we succeed depends on our choices and stats. We may save the Kingdom of Daria, die in the process, turn into a demon because we lacked the stats to survive the Demon Realm otherwise, defeat Zusak only to see our army lose against his demon army, or even take over Zusak's army and become the new Evil Overlord (if we are totally evil and have the stats to do this). We can also kill Zusak, watch him die, or forgive him and let him die in obscurity of old age (if we are totally good and have the motivation, as my second Paladin character did once they learned of Zusak's motivations). We can also start a family, have children, leave a grand new Kingdom of Daria as our legacy (or not), and so on.

This game is truly a great fantasy epic. Here's some title page art to break up the text wall of the opening post-

A few questions people might have-

So this is just a text game? No pictures? Yes. We will need to imagine the majority of the action based on what the text describes. I may do some fanfiction stuff with our characters and their companions similar to what I did in my last LP, but that depends on how things develop and how it goes over with readers. The writing in this game is high quality IMO, so attempting to improve it may not be as necessary as it would be with a less engaging plot. All important characters are developed to some extent, and we will see them shown off depending on the choices we make. I will try to include pictures that would help the text here and there, depending on what I can find online (I can't create pictures of much quality myself, unfortunately).

On what platforms is this game available? iPhone app, Droid app, Steam Download, possibly others that I don't know about. We will be playing off the Steam version since its text is easy to cut and paste into Wordpad on my laptop. All these versions are available online and quite cheap in price if you want to get the game and play on your own. I own the Steam and iPhone versions.

Will we the readers be making every decision? Yes, pretty much. You choose the decision, I choose at what point the decision is made. I will build the character we create, with the skills and relationship values we choose to acquire, and take them through the plot of each game in succession. That means success or failure is largely up to the reader. I know how to get many rewards in the game, and what some of the keys are to succeed, but a guiding hand and spoilers are less fun than finding your own way IMO. There are also many different ways to achieve success, so many that we might see something I have never discovered in all my playthrus, or maybe readers prefer to do things a way I wouldn't. I am ok with this. The point of this thread is to play the games together and have fun.

How many votes count as a decision? How often will this thread be updated? Majority rules on decisions. I will try to post at least one update per day, around 1700 CST, depending on my own time and voting. If there will be a delay, I will try to give a heads-up. In general, I will want to wait for a clear choice majority before advancing the game, because as in most CoG games, we can't go back on a choice without restarting the game once each choice is made. I also want people to find out the hard way if certain choices would fail, especially first time through- that's often part of the fun. :laugh: If a choice gets a clear majority early on (I have to judge thread attention, so I can't define a clear majority right now), and I have the time, I may update more than once a day. I may also advance the plot through false choices (ie those choices that don't really affect the plot or character stats and are just there for flavor), but I won't always do that. Especially not in the first run.

How many runs are we doing? One for sure. I might do a second after the first concludes if readers are still interested enough and I am also. We'll see. I would definitely want to show off a different character class than the first run and what they can do in such a second run. Whether we do another run after that depends on the same things as the second did.

Spoiler Policy? In general, please don't discuss anything we have yet to see in the game ahead of time. If I spoil something, it's ok to discuss it further. Speculation is also ok, defined by my judgement. Please appeal to me or a moderator in case of disputes. Use spoiler tags or PM me if you are unsure about something, or just don't do it. Outright spoiling stuff like how to get artifact X or save the life of companion Y (yes, all our companions can die in various ways throughout the saga) in a certain situation before we have the chance to discover ourselves how to do said thing, even under spoiler tags, is not permitted. Especially not in the first run. For reasons, see above questions. If readers are unsure how to vote on a choice, I will help out where I can without spoiling the plot too much. I am also turning on the numbers in the games so we can see what stats we'd need to succeed (or avoid failure) in various situations. That will help us build our characters. Note that these numbers are often displayed after the choice is made. Example- You fall from the crumbling castle wall and are injured (Needed 60 Agility). The troll claws you as you try in vain to defend yourself with your sword (Needed 40 Blades). The light spell fizzles before you can cast it (Needed 10 Magic). Some pre-judgement of stats and situations will be necessary.

Can you give any tips for success? A few.

First, we want to build a character with varied strengths and play to said strengths when it comes to various situations. Are we a skilled sword wielder? Then we probably want to rely on our sword in combat vs. archery, magic, or unarmed combat. Are we a nimble rogue? Then we'd probably have a better chance of disarming a trap or climbing a wall than other characters, depending on our Agility and Devices Skills (you'll learn what those are soon enough). Are we a powerful magic user? If yes, we want to develop our Magic stat as much as we can and rely on magic for various situations. Is there a way we would know some insight into a situation? Possibly, depending on our character's knowledge stats. We can develop and check those stats constantly throughout the game. Can we ask another character to do something for us? Yes, but whether they say yes to us depends on their own skills and our relations with them. Sometimes this is purely based on our Charm or Alignment, sometimes we must develop a personal relationship with the character and make them our friend.

Second, we want to try to get along with most other characters, especially our companions. It's ok to be Evil in the game (see below question) but even if we are evil, we still want to be nice to people for the most part. Except when it's time not to be nice. And we'll know when that is. :)

Third, the game is quite realistic in various situations. You can't cast a mighty meteor swarm with a magic score of less than 80% (and even 90% may not be enough). You don't want to find out the hard way that 30% Agility is not enough to climb a crumbling castle wall or dodge to avoid damage from archers shooting at you. Check character stats before making dangerous decisions to avoid Health Damage. I will try to update and post our character's stats at least once per thread page.

So we need to min/max for success? Max/max is better, but yeah, that's one way. Basically judge each choice based on what you think our character can do. Fighters should swing swords or fists, depending on stats. Wizards should do magic. Thieves should pick locks if they have the Devices or Climb Walls if they have the Agility. Etc, etc, etc. We can still succeed at cost in most situations. I will point out the costs of failure after we pass each situation if such costs are not obvious.

Is there enforced morality in this game? Yes and no. In general, you want to get along with people for success. But you can be Good or Evil. There are a lot of opportunities to be a total douchebag and you can still recover from the consequences later. Said opportunities are usually obvious. There are also many opportunities to be kind, and the option to atone for evil deeds by giving to charity, thus recovering your Good Karma.

Good and Evil people have different options for success in most situations. What a good person can accomplish through charm and help, an evil person can accomplish also through subterfuge and fear. Most of our companions' morality depends on ours, and our individual relationships with them is usually independent of our morality. In the case of Lawful Good companions such as the Guard Captain in Lost Heir 2, they will be loyal enough to travel with us regardless of our morality. However if we are Evil, we probably won't be able to rely on a Lawful Good companion in a bad situation. Nor will we be able to romance them. But we can romance almost anyone independent of morality if our Charm and/or Relationship with said person is high enough. I often take pleasure in corrupting my party's kindly cleric during my Evil runs. :)

Certain classes also require certain alignment values. Paladins & Knights have to be Good, whereas Necromancers & Dark Knights need to be Evil. And certain characters like the God of Mischief will only work with Evil people, whereas the Good Gods' priests will only help good people, etc. It's easy to shift morality throughout the game. Our morality depends on the choices we make.

How many classes of character can we be? There are a lot. At the first class decision, you can be a Squire, Monk, Assassin, Bard, Thief, Soldier, Thug (Fighter independent of the military), Good/Evil Priest, Sage, or Hunter. At the second decision, you can expand that into any of the above plus Wizard, Druid, Ranger, Cleric, and Demon Summoner. At the third class decision (by now we're in Lost Heir 2), you can continue on your current path and possibly even become a Knight, Monk with Ki, or other classes I can't remember right now. After that, you can keep to your present path or take on a Prestige Class of Paladin, Necromancer, Dark Knight, Seer, Siren, Shadow Mage, Dragon Rider, Blademaster, Elemental Archer, War Master, Arcane Tattooist, or Master Demon Summoner. The third game adds the classes Tycoon, Luck Mage, Druid of Decay, Dragon Knight, Berserker, Vampire Lord, Artificer, Soulburner Catalyst, and Rune Knight. I may have forgotten a few. You can multiclass, and you can also take any class to the heights of epic level accomplishment. All classes have various stat and plot requirements, which ones we can get depends on the choices we make. Many classes also have their own special abilities and side quests.

So what can we do in this game? If adventuring in an epic fantasy realm, saving a kingdom from a demon invasion, and commanding a government as royalty aren't enough for you, here are some of the characters I've played, unmarked spoiler warnings-

Prince Adam was a brave Guard (first level Soldier) who rose through the ranks to Major General (top level Soldier), with Modern Major General Knowledge Skills. :eng99: In his second incarnation he had better Knowledge Skills and thus became a War Master, able to direct armies on a Sun Tzu level. Adam never found a special sword that allowed him to become He-Man, but his Strength, Endurance, and Blades Skills were high enough that few people could tell the difference.

Prince Thaddeus 'the Intimidator' was an evil Thug who could get people to do almost anything just by staring at them menacingly. When that didn't work, verbal threats or his maxed Skills in Unarmed Combat were usually up to the task. Sadly, he didn't really know that much about anything besides making people sweat and/or bleed. Nor was he ever Charming enough to acquire a lover other than his childhood friend who'd become a thief. His proudest moment was punching out a bear. His most embarassing moment was breaking his hand while trying to punch out a Kraken (better Nature Knowledge probably could have told Thaddeus that was a bad idea even with 100% Unarmed). Thaddeus also tried to summon demons, but never mastered it. Demons he summoned usually either seriously injured him or possessed his body and made it do terrible things.

Prince Bill was also good with his fists. However, he was a Monk, not a Thug, and thus a master of knowledge along with Unarmed Combat. This allowed him to do a lot of amazing Wise Sensei stuff. Bill married a beautiful archer and went ice skating with her, mastered the art of Ki (which among other things allowed him to safely punch out the Kraken and thus defeat it), and spirit walked his way through the Demon Realm where previous Princes failed and became monsters. Bill could have easily summoned and controlled demons with his high Arcane Knowledge, but he preferred beating them up using kung fu.

Princess Maria was the top Assassin in Daria, slated to become Guildmaster if she was not already the future Queen. She poisoned an enemy banquet and almost killed all her enemies in the first game, snuck into an enemy castle and assassinated a Duke (but was too Good to also poison the water supply, thus really damaging the enemy army) in the second game, and... well, the third game couldn't really top that. :( But she still had some epic confrontations with the bad guys. Maria's husband was the barbarian chief of a mountain tribe, making him almost as cool.

Princess Alicia was a legendary mystical Bard who played the common rooms of all the inns in Daria, smashed her favorite instrument battling a horde of skeletons, later put on Daria's first totally awesome rock concert, and in the third game sadly lacked the stats to create a 'song that would echo through the ages'. :cry: But she was still the best Archer in the realm, and she had the Charm to get what she wanted from almost anyone. :heysexy:

Princess Nadia was a wise Sage who knew just about everything. She was also a powerful Magic user. Early in life, she was infected by a Vampire while helping her cleric lover kill said Vampire. This motivated her to fall to darkness. She first became a Necromancer who conquered Daria with an army of the undead. Later she embraced her Vampire blood and killed herself, then rose as a mighty Vampire Lord. Her companions, including her cleric husband, also became Vampires, and after defeating Zusak they ruled Daria at the head of the Demon Army.

Princess Leah was a valiant Lady Knight who rode a mighty warhorse and later a dragon into battle. She considered becoming a Paladin, but found she lacked the required Cleric background and so gave that up to serve as the Catalyst for her Soulburner husband's magic, allowing him to do truly awesome things using supplemented life force.

Prince Noah was a Druid with a Bear, Giant Worm, Crocodile, and Monkey allies. He could have also gotten a Wolf, a Mouse, a Cat, a Tanuki, a Griffon, or a Dragon had he taken various other paths. Noah once had a one night stand with a barmaid and an affair with a male Weapon Master. Later he mated with a turtle while shapechanged into a turtle, thus fathering turtle children, and after that he enjoyed the company of a merman. However, Noah never found a human spouse with whom to share his life. :(

Prince Moloch, in his first incarnation, was a Master Demon Summoner who solved the riddle of Tyborr. He too was infected by a vampire, but he rejected the gift and remained human. In his second life, he founded his own religion as an evil Priest, and in his third life he led the Church of Lucien as a good Archbishop. Moloch's first incarnation's lover was the Master Demon Summoner Synden, who tragically died protecting him from another Master Demon Summoner named Poppy. Second incarnation, Pope was the Summoner lover and Syndi was the Summoner who killed him. Moloch could have saved his lover both times if he'd had better stats. Third life, he was celibate except for a tryst with a mermaid.

Princess Liza was the most skilled Thief in Daria, to the eternal shame of her Guard Captain husband. Throughout her life she remained in constant friendly competition with her former lesbian lover, also a Thief, whom she could have married if she had made that choice (she did in her second life). Liza never summoned demons outside plot requirements, but she did enjoy evading and killing them.

There are many more Lost Heir characters of greater and lesser accomplishment whom I have played but won't describe here. I look forward to our thread characters' accomplishments.

I enjoyed the Necromancy in Life of a Wizard, is there Necromancy in this game? Yes. As mentioned above, Necromancer is a Prestige Class and we can also become a Vampire Lord with Dracula type powers. However, we can't start doing that stuff right away. It will require prior planning and commitment, and by the time we get to the opportunity to become a Necromancer, we may prefer another path. Wizards are not the stars of this game like they were in Life of a Wizard, we can be any kind of fantasy character described above.

Can we be a Troll, Elf, Half-Orc, etc.? Sadly, our race is restricted to Human. Elves, Gnomes, Half-Orcs, Dwarves, & Halflings do exist in Daria but they do not show up onscreen until the second game. There are no full-blooded Orcs or Goblins. Trolls, Mer-People, and Kobolds are brief combat encounters (also diplomacy in the case of the Mer-People). There are no Dragons except for the one we may or may not get the chance to ride (meeting that Dragon depends on our stats). Many demons, but no angels unless we want to be one ourselves (we can be Good and earn wings).

What Romance Options are there? Quite a few. We will be able to set our sexual preferences and the gender of all but one of our possible love interests. Read my character descriptions above for hints as to who our romantic partners might include.

Can we re-name NPCs? I don't mind doing that with important allied characters such as our eleven possible party members and important allies like General Vale & Lord Treasurer Tovar. I can also alter minor details if you like (eg our barbarian buddy with default name Theo/Thea has his warhammer as default weapon, but I can change their weapon to a large frozen mackerel for amusement if you like). I am not willing to alter the character's basic role in the game, though, or their classes. Theo/Thea will stay a Barbarian Thug, Bran/Brinn a Guard Captain, Jace/Jess a Soulburner Mage, Peter/Petra a Cleric, etc. We will be naming our character and their pets, mounts, and children, including both birth and adopted children. We also get to create a God or Goddess, if we choose to worship a deity. I would prefer we not re-name villains or minor characters. If we are soon to encounter a character I will allow us to re-name, I will give the opportunity to do so via votes.

Edit- Please no rude or offensive re-names. Thanks. Further Edit- Renaming off the table for at least first run, pending future fan interest. I may bring back the option if people are interested, send me a PM.

Any other rules? One vote per person at each choice. Please BOLD votes so I may see them easily. Please don't be a jerk to me or other posters. Please don't spoil. Please don't get yourself suspended or banned.

That's all I can think of for now. I'll leave this up a day or so to get people excited, then start our first run of Lost Heir 1: The Fall of Daria. If you want to think up a character, go ahead, but we may want to hold off on most things beyond name and gender until we start the game.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Post 2- Stat Descriptions & Starting Stats:

Here are the Starting Stats for our character and Stat Descriptions. Please refer to this post if you need descriptions of any Stat and what it does throughout the LP.

Starting Stats posted:

X, the Prince/ss of Daria

Starting Stats

Health: 100%

Specialized Training: None

Posessions: None.

Animal Companions, Pets, and Familiars- None.
Mounts- None.

MORALITY:
Good: 50% Evil: 50%

ABILITIES:
Agility: 20%
Charm: 20%
Endurance: 20%
Perception: 20%
Strength: 20%
Willpower: 20%

SKILLS:
Archery: 0%
Devices: 0%
Magic: 0%
Blades: 0%
Stealth: 0%
Unarmed: 0%

KNOWLEDGE:
Arcana: 20%
Geography: 20%
History: 20%
Nature: 20%
Religion: 20%

RELATIONSHIPS:
None at this time.

Stat Descriptions (beyond the obvious)-

Health- our life force, hit points. Losing all of them in a dangerous situation means failure, but we can heal ourselves once the situation concludes or we can get some mystical help (priestly magic, healing potion, etc). The length we retain wounds may vary, and sometimes they are unavoidable. Avoiding injury usually means avoiding trying to do something we lack the stats to accomplish (eg dueling a master swordsman when our own Blades Skill is low, climbing a wall or trying to dodge arrows with low Agility, attempting to disarm a poison needle trap with low Devices, etc). If we have the Skills required for an action we will succeed, if we don't we will fail. This game will not highlight or strike out 'sure to fail' options, I will only hide the failure checks behind spoiler bars if I reveal them at all. Choices and judgements to avoid failure must be made by readers.

Specialized Training: Our class levels in various professions. Guard, wizard, thief, etc.

MORALITY: Where we stand on the scale of Good vs. Evil, based on our actions and karma. The Level of Morality goes up and down throughout the game. Gaining Good points means losing Evil Points and vice versa. We start out neutral- Good 50% Evil: 50% - but neutrality is not required for any particular class. Certain levels of Good or Evil can be, however. Example- Paladins have to be Good, whereas Evil Gods won't want a Good Priest serving their cause. This can go over 100%, as can any stat (but values over 100% are never required to do anything in the games).

ABILITIES:

Agility: Dexterity. Ability to climb, dodge, roll to avoid danger.

Charm: Charisma. Also diplomacy skill. Used to get people to do what we want them to do through persuasion. Intimidation uses Strength instead.

Endurance: Constitution. Ability to endure poison, harsh weather conditions, and hazardous or tiring activity.

Perception: Ability to notice things that are not obvious to most other people, like secret doors, hidden special corridors, and people who have motives or ideas they'd rather keep to themselves. A high value of this ability can unlock hidden options for approaching many situations.

Strength: Physical muscle and presence. Are we a tough bodybuilder or a slim person with average frame? Martial professions and feats of strength help develop this.

Willpower: Force of Will. Used by Demon Summoners to dominate the Demons they call upon as allies. Not useable for anything else. For people with low Willpower, Summoning Demons is a really bad idea.

SKILLS:

Archery: We have a bow and we wish to use it, but how well can we use it, exactly? Are we Robin Hood incarnate or some joker who can barely twang the string?

Devices: Rigging & disarming traps, picking locks, operating catapults, and so forth. Thieves and Assassins often have high levels in this.

Magic: Skill with Magic. What spells we can cast, and how powerful they are. Priests and Wizards will be good at this, generally, and use it in different ways (Wizards throw fireballs, Priests can do that and also heal).

Blades: Skill with Swords & Daggers (the game unfortunately restricts us to these as our primary melee weapons). Are we an Olympic fencer or some idiot waving around a pointy stick? Soldiers & Knights are often masters of the sword, whereas Thieves & Assassins can master the Dagger. The same stat covers both weapons.

Stealth: Sneaking ability. Something else Thieves and Assassins are generally better at than other people.

Unarmed: Unarmed combat ability. Covers a variety of styles from punching to wrestling, martial arts, throws & kicks, etc. Monks and Thugs generally have high level in this.

KNOWLEDGE: Knowledge skills. What we know regarding certain subjects. The game will require lower levels of these from certain professions than they would others. Example- a character with a high level of Nature is the same as a high level Ranger when it comes to Nature Skill Checks.

Arcana: Mystical knowledge. Used to decipher runes and understand how magic works. Important for Wizards & Demon Summoners. Also the game's go-to stat for testing how sharp your mind is.

Geography: Navigating ability, knowledge of roads, areas of Daria, and other cultures' customs. High levels in this, which a Ranger usually has, are required to uncover secret paths and information in some areas.

History: Knowledge of Daria's past. Again, this can be used to find secret areas and information. Sages and Bards often have high levels of this.

Nature: Surviving in the wilderness, recognizing dangerous natural phenomena like quicksand and poisonous fruit. Also used to track animals, avoid predators, and properly create poisons. Can also be used to treat injury through natural medicine. Druids and Rangers naturally get high levels here.

Religion: Knowledge of the gods and religious rituals. Priests use this skill to recognize holy or unholy signs and icons and properly perform various sacraments.

RELATIONSHIPS: Our relations with certain allies. High relations is required to make the person our friend, trainer, and/or love interest. Low relations means we may keep the person as an ally, but they probably won't be reliable to help us with their skills. They may even cause us great embarassment in certain situations I won't spoil here.

Any Skill can be increased through exercising it. We can also decrease many of them by doing something of negative impact on the appropriate skill (example, getting sick means we lose Strength and Endurance, but maybe we gain Nature since we learn not to eat illness-inducing berries).

I hope these stat descriptions help us create characters.

In a few posts, the first game begins.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 27, 2017

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Post 3- Character List.
This is a cast list I will update as we meet characters throughout the game.

Current Location of Run- Imprisoned in Vernex (Lost Heir 1, Level 9).
Main Character Age- 19.

The Game Cast-

-Princess Renata, first run Main Character.

Allies (primary)-
-Our Parents-
King Brand
& Queen Jade.

-Harmond, our Wizard tutor.

- Gale, the Royal Cook's child & our friend, playful Rogue.
- Petra, another friend we had who moved away, child of nobility who became a Cleric.

- Karla, a peasant girl from Elmvale, our friend, an excellent Archer and Nature Guide.
- Theo, a large Barbarian warrior.
- Jess Solway, a Soulburning Wizard.

Potential Mentors-

-Sir Grady, an aged valiant Knight.
-Lady Emaline, the Royal Gardener and Assassin.
-Amos, an elderly Thief formerly imprisoned in the castle dungeons.
-Sister Geri, a venerable Monk who resided in the Royal Temple, now our Mentor in the Elmvale Temple.

Other Allies-
- Royal Servants, including Bertie, our valet/handmaid, and her brother Bertrand.
- The Royal Herald.
- Freda, Gale's mother & former Daria castle cook.

-Daria Castle Guards, including named Guards Piett, Biggs & Wedge, and Madine.
- Master Jett, a sheep farmer.
- Master Jett's wife.
- Jethro, Master Jett's chief farmhand and intended successor, formerly inclined to betray him.
- Ruby the Sage, Jethro's wife.
- Jethro and Ruby's daughter Leigh Anne.

- Bobby, Vicky, Ted, & Mary; young adventurers inclined to become soldiers.
- Arch-Druid Dorion.
- Kole, Ranger Mentor.
- Xino, Wizard Mentor.
- Sir Maxon, Knight Mentor.
- Sir Maxon's Future Squire, Raquel.
- Marla, Demon Summoner Student.
- Graham, Demon Summoner Student.
- General Vale, leader of Daria's Military.

- Lord Tovar, Master of the Daria Treasury.

- Cumari, Archmage of the Daria Academy of Wizards.

Enemies-

-Alexander Zusak, High Chancellor of the Consortium of Planewalkers. An evil Demon Summoning Sorcerer who has killed our parents and many other Heroes of the Realm.

- Selina, Zusak's sinister female noblewoman associate, now a Duchess who governs Daria's province of Dumain. An expert in both poisonous words and natural poison.

- Thuja, Zusak's brutish bodyguardmeat-shield, a Weapon Master who wields twin axes and wears a mystical rune-covered Belt of Speed.
- Lord Weslo, a noble politically opposed to our parents.

- Duke Eddan, a traitorous noble with a worrisome military presence, Lord of Daria's Eddan province and the city of Ludd.

- Duke Uddo, a traitorous noble who rules Daria's Uddo province.
- Duke Bandar, a traitorous noble who rules Daria's northern Bandar province.
- Consortium of Planewalkers Soldiers and Mages.
- Ms. & Mr. Porter- Consortium Professors of Demon Summoning.
- Bunta, an ogre-like enemy Thug.
- Viers, the Commander of soldiers from Ludd, Duke Eddan's city. Complicit in the murder of our parents even if his master Duke Eddan may or may not have been.
-Dorgan, Evil Barbarian Warrior.
- Mazrim, insane abusive Nobleman.
- Dr. Konnors, Evil Alchemist.
- Bolwen, Evil ArchMage.
- Bolwen's Iron Golem Bodyguard.
- Phasma, Evil Archer & Dark Knight of Shadi.

Named Demons-
- Brahl, a combat Demon.
- Xi'atta, an ice Demon.
- Zon'ch, a dust/air Demon.

- Tyborr, a unique high Willpower Demon.
Kut'Seen- A powerful nearly invincible Demon with mirror-glass skin.
Rale'Run- An invisible Demon guardian/spy.

Characters with their names struck through are dead.

Names listed above are default unless changed when there is an opportunity.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 4, 2017

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Post 4- Here is the advertising story description for Lost Heir 1- The Fall of Daria.

Interactive Fiction Database posted:

Take back the throne that was rightfully yours! When demon-summoning usurpers assassinate the king and queen, the right of rulership falls to you, their only child. Develop your own unique prince or princess, discovering a world of fantasy, magic, mystery, and adventure.

The Lost Heir: The Fall of Daria is an epic 145,000-word interactive fantasy novel by Mike Walter, where your choices control the story. The game is entirely text-based--without graphics or sound effects--and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

Develop your own unique prince or princess, for good or evil! Become a noble knight, a greedy thief, an evil priest, a nature-loving druid, a charming bard, a deadly assassin, a wise monk, a well-traveled ranger, a martial cleric, a kind priest, a brutal thug, a steadfast guard, a powerful wizard or any combination you choose.

Your Highness, the kingdom of Daria awaits you!

The Possible Achievements (note that the last 5 are mutually exclusive):

Lost Heir 1 Achievements posted:

Artificer: You found at least 4 of the 8 artifacts in the game.

Love Endures: You have found love and they are still alive.

Honour of the North: You have begun your journey into the north to avenge a friend's lost love.

The Soulburner: You have begun your journey to the Academy to learn about a friend's dangerous power.

Rescue Freda: You have begun your journey into the wilderness to rescue a friend's mother.

The Infinity Arrow: You have begun your journey to Tornassa to help a friend construct an artifact of power.

Vampire Slayer: You have begun your journey into the wilderness with a friend to slay a vampire.

And a link to the game's ChoiceofGames page.

With my next currently scheduled post (tomorrow around 1700 CST), we shall at last begin the game. Until then, I can answer any questions people have in replies.

Currently taking votes for Character Name and Gender (Male/Female, sorry, we can't pick Neutral).

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 17, 2017

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Prince Kai.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Oh man, you're in for the long haul here. Can't wait to see how it goes, though.

As for a name, Princess Renata

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

As for a name, Princess Renata

This.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Don't want to get probied for posting in that thread, but it looks like you have some broken images in both the Post New LPs Thread and here. My browser is saying:
ERR_INSECURE_RESPONSE

Three times on what looks like an http/https problem. If I take off the S in a separate tab the image resolves.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Played around a bit with the free chapter on the Choice of Games website. This is really cool.

Princess Renata is fine.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I’m not afraid of the long haul when it comes to a game I love. :) Thx for the encouragement.

I will fix those pics when I get home from work. They were fine on my laptop but not my iPhone. I didn’t check till now. I will fix on the new Lp thread too. Thx for letting me know.

Please keep speculating/voting. Kai & Renata are both cool names. I’ll start the game this afternoon.

Edit- pictures fixed, I think. Thx again. Please let me know if there are further issues. I plan to rely on my galleries at postimg.org over advertising sites I hoped would work right from now on.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 17, 2017

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Princess Renata. I'm game! This looks fun

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

This is easily my favorite CYOA, not that I played/watched that many but still! Glad someone's lping it. :D

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Princess Renata

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ok, starting this thing early. 5 votes is a good majority. I may or may not post the second update this afternoon, depending on participation. I want to balance that with the need for regular frequent updates and the fact that we have a lot of game to get through as much as I can.

Let's start the adventures of Princess Renata! (Kai or another character can possibly be our second run's hero if we do one.)

Lost Heir 1 begins with an obvious cold open flash forward-

The Lost Heir 1- The Fall of Daria Opening posted:

The sky is slashed with jagged tears of fire. They are like wounds upon reality itself and cast everything in a harsh red light. The land before you is cracked and dry. There is nothing growing from the parched dirt your feet rest upon. You stand with your army behind you. They wear bright armor and hold sharp swords, although their equipment is dented and scratched from many battles. Your faithful companions are at your side.

You survey the mass of creatures before you. Their numbers are without limit as they stretch across the horizon. Many of them are somewhat man-shaped, but twisted, as though they are the nightmares of what man could be. Some of them have leathery wings, many have sharp claws and most of them have great yellow horns protruding from their heads. They are the denizens of the Demon Realm, come to lay waste to your world.

One of them steps forward, leading the group. It stands at over seven feet. It swings a claw, seeming to rend the very air in front of it. It unfurls its wings and takes to the sky.

Everyone around you tenses as it flies straight toward you.

Let me sum up. Our army is faced with an army of terrifying demons. There's a big scary demon flying right at us! What do we do?

Options posted:

1.Draw our glowing rune-covered sword.

2. Signal for the catapults to fire.

3. Loose an arrow from our enchanted bow.

4. Cast a mighty spell.

5. Command our army to advance.

Spoiler Hint- The action we take here will grant a minor stat boost. This is not a false choice even though official character creation does not start until the next decision point. All actions are guaranteed success. I'm not spoiling what each option does beforehand. Proceeding with majority decision next update.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Cast the Spells that make the people Fall Down

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Command armies to advance.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Glowing runes to Khorne on our sword are never a bad idea!

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Oof, this is one of my favourite Choice of Games series, but drat is it rough. I had to resort to writing crazy-person diagrams of exactly what choice gives and requires what all through the first game to have a decent enough spread of stats to survive in the second. It's particularly nasty because only succeeding gives you more stats, and failing usually penalises a stat, so if you make a few mistakes you will never be able to pull back from it

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
CountryMatters- You are right about only success boosting stats. However I don’t recall failure costing stat penalties other than Health and loss of chance at rewards. Except in specific extreme cases I won’t spoil- & I’ve played the heck out of these games. But we’ll see what happens- I can’t discount Steam vs iPhone version differences I haven’t seen yet. Thx for the heads up and I hope we don’t suffer as you did.

Avalerion- That has been my experience also. I usually try to max out at least 1 combat skill, 1 Ability skill, and 1 knowledge skill at the least. This usually means I can succeed if the high Skills in question are appropriate for the situation. We’ll see many varied situations as we progress. You can also read my descriptions of past characters in the first post for a few examples of success & failure results.

Please don’t let prior experience, positive or negative, keep you from voting. I understand if veterans want to stay out of it, though, and still appreciate advice.

Tied 1-1-1 between Command, Spell, & Sword. Still collecting votes.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 27, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

My experience is that methodically planning ahead like that is necesary if you want to min/max and be good at everything - which the game does allow but isn't necesary to win, you'll just miss out on some rewards or get a different outcome to events. I've done sucesfull runs by specializing on just one or two skills though.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Renata casts the spells that makes the people fall down

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ok, we are 2-1-1 on Spell vs. Sword vs. Command. I will proceed with Spell on the following rationale-

- Need to keep the thread going. We should pick up more readers and participants as we progress.

- Magic is a very useful ability to develop in these games and a path to success that will be very familiar to anyone who came here as a fan of Life of a Wizard. While not useful in every situation, Magic is more often useful than not. It is an excellent choice for our first character's primary stat IMO (though we can still pick up a new one later, see below).

- This is a relatively minor decision. The bonus for success is only +3 to a stat (that's the normal bonus for success by the way). The extra +3s stack up and do help build our character, but it's not enough alone to lock us out of developing other stats, especially not this early. We'll get the majority of our stats from training (which comes starting with Decision #3) and from continued use of what we're best at (usually doing what you're best at over and over is key in these games).

- In the future, I will say how long I intend to wait for each decision. Some are very important, and thus will get at least a full day for possible votes. Others are minor, like this one, and we will advance once we have a clear majority. Some decisions will be obvious. Some will have very tense elements present, and I may give it to the first voter in that case. It will vary and I will always say which option I am using. This is all subject to my own time constraints, mind you. Also, I am not voting officially, but I will use my phone's dice-rolling app to break ties if I think it'd be good to advance.

- In future runs (if we do them) I will note info we are already aware of beside each option as to the possible stat requirements and rewards. On the third and subsequent runs, should we get that far, if readers are willing, I shall consider spoiling most decision results to the best of my knowledge. But we'll see if we're still interested in playing again when that time comes.

So for this run, we are Casting a Mighty Spell!

The People Fall Down! posted:

Your words and hand motions warp reality to your whim. Your army takes this as a command and surges forward, screaming their defiance at the otherworldly beasts before them.

(Magic +3)

You Awake…

Ok, surprise! That was a dream. Or possibly a prophecy. Did our spell kill the scary demon attacking us? It may be a long while before we find out...

The Real Game Begins... posted:

You awaken from a good night's sleep with the lingering memory of a dream fading in the morning light. You find yourself in a beautiful room with an enormous four-pillar canopy bed, expensive mahogany dressers, and priceless tapestries. Your twelve years of life have been filled with the finest things money could buy. As the first-born heir to the Kingdom of Daria, you expect such things. You throw back the thick, luxurious covers and get out of bed. You see that your clothes have already been laid out for you on the dresser.

Decision #2 posted:

1. You are the Prince of Daria.

2. You are the Princess of Daria.

As previously decided, we are Renata, Princess of Daria. Note that it would be a few decisions before we could actually choose our name had one not already been selected. As stated above, we start this game as an adolescent Princess, age 12.

Stats posted:

Stats (after first decision)

Renata, Princess of Daria

Possessions: None.
Animal Companions, Pets, and Familiars- None.
Mounts- None.

MORALITY:

ABILITIES:

SKILLS:
Magic: 3%

KNOWLEDGE:
Arcana: 20%

RELATIONSHIPS:
None at this time.

A good foundation, but what can we build on it? Let's find out!

Decision #3! posted:

Your clothes are of the highest quality- their cost in gold could probably feed a poor family for a month. You dress quickly, eager to begin the day. Next to your clothing is your prized possession.

1. A Spell Book.

2. A Holy Symbol.

3. A Sword.

4. A Set of Lockpicks.

5. A beautiful Bow and Quiver of Arrows.

6. A masterfully crafted Musical Instrument (default instrument is Lute).

Things to Keep in Mind aka Spoiler Hints (please read these if you like, but don't let my words be the only influence on your decision making)-

- The item we pick here comes with some minor training in how to use it. IE- if we pick the Spellbook, we get another bonus to Magic, and same for each other item in both obvious and non-obvious ways. Example of the latter- Training with a Sword also usually increases your Strength.

- More importantly, this item is our first piece of equipment and it will thus determine a lot of what we can do in future decisions. Example- while you can always attempt to work Magic without a Spell Book, you probably won't do very well if you've never opened a Spell Book before. However, you won't be able to stab anything if you don't have a Sword. You can always attempt Magic or Unarmed Combat, but your success in each depends on your stats. Using a Sword or Bow well requires both an appropriate Blades or Archery level and having the item in the first place. Note that Arrows & Spellcasting Mana supplies are unlimited.

- All these items are helpful for the future character we might be building. A fighter will want a Sword, a magic user a Spell Book, a thief a Set of Lockpicks, etc along with good Skills at using the item in question. But this is not actually our first class level, we'll get that once we're a bit older. However, a good foundation in training now will be helpful at that decision point and afterwards. It's always nice to have above average Skills. Or diverse Skills, should we decide to multiclass. Also take note that there are no class item restrictions in this game. Nothing exists to prevent a Fighter from opening a Spell Book, for example, or from using a Set of Lockpicks, or from playing a Musical Instrument. However, a Wizard, a Thief, or a Bard will probably be better at respectively using each item, especially in a pinch.

- We can get all of the items we don't get here later in the game, but it may cost money at that time. We'll start earning money once we grow up. Also, some classes will get free items if they don't have them already (eg Priests get free Holy Symbols, Knights get free Swords).

- A couple of the items will require further decision making if we pick them. The Musical Instrument is one- the default instrument for this game is a Lute, for those not in the know that's a medieval guitar. If you prefer a different instrument, I can easily adapt it in. Just please try to pick something both portable and pleasing to play. If an Instrument gets the majority for this decision, the next decision will be what Instrument unless we agree on one beforehand. We can develop exactly what musical style we're playing (rock, country, classical, heavy metal, etc) later on.

- If we pick a Holy Symbol, be aware of three things.

-1. Priests use Holy Symbols to channel their magical power the same way Wizards use Spell Books, but neither is actually required to work Magic. It just helps. In Daria, anyone with a high ability in Magic is considered a wizard. Wizards with a capital W just concentrate on Magic to the exclusion of most other things whereas other classes will have other abilities also- a Sage may have high general Knowledge, a Druid high Nature, a Priest high Religion, a Thief high Stealth & Devices, a Fighter high Blades, etc. Nothing prevents all these classes from also developing high levels of Magic. I've done some pretty cool things with a Mage/Fighter or Priest/Thief.

-2. Getting a Holy Symbol here does not mean we take the vows of a Priest, that comes with class level later. We just get a small foundation in Magic & Religion.

-3. If we do pick a Holy Symbol, the next decision will be creating the Deity whose Holy Symbol it is. I will accept votes ahead of time on this, but please be aware that any original Gods or Goddesses need to be clearly on the side of Good or Evil. There are no neutral Deities in the game's version of Daria and every character who would wield Divine Power must dedicate themselves to one side in the moral conflict in exchange. (This even includes Druids, who are traditionally neutral in other media. In this game, Good Druids use the powers of life & regeneration whereas Evil Druids associate themselves with destruction & chaos. There is even an extremely evil Druid Prestige Class called Druid of Decay, more on that later if we get the chance to see it. Not that being a Druid requires a Holy Symbol, mind you. It only requires high Nature & Magic stats). If we take up a Holy Symbol, it comes with some moral constraints if we choose to follow the God in question.

:siren: So, be aware that if Holy Symbol gets the majority here, I will open the polls to all voters next decision to determine which God or Goddess we'll be worshipping. I'll say more about Religion in Daria at that time or when we visit our first Temple later on. As Morality can be a big deal for players, this will be the case even if a Deity has a clear majority beforehand. :siren:

This is a big important decision that will greatly affect our character development, so votes on it will be collected for a full day. Around this time tomorrow, subject to my schedule, we shall move ahead.

Choose wisely. :eng101:

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Holy symbol. Worship the dark gods!

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The Holy Symbol of Great Cthulhu

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Spell Book.

We need to min-max.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Spell Bo-

Junpei posted:

Spell Book.

We need to min-max.

On second thought, how's about a Lute, through which we channel magical lightning to enhance our performances.

This is a Vote for Renata to become a Magical Punk Rock Princess in the future.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Holy Symbol of Heronius, Good* God of Smiting

*Well, technically. Look, he restricts his smiting to evil people and creatures, and anyone who's unable to get away from the blast radius in time- well, there's such a thing as the Greater Good as well, right?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

RickVoid posted:

Spell Bo-

(My post)

On second thought, how's about

It's so nice to have a respected opinion.[/sarcasm]

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Spell book. I'm for being a a priest but let's be a magic focused one.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 18, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Probably too late to make a dent in holy symbols lead but,
lockpicks

Let's be a magical robin hood.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Some more things to keep in mind I didn’t think to mention earlier.

- Any item we get here will be a masterpiece but not magical. Thus it’s of high quality and we get accompanying extra Skill Points we won’t get if we loot or buy an average similar item later. Found or purchased items also won’t necessarily come with training like this one does.

- The other things concern Holy Symbols. Be aware that we can only carry 1 at a time and there aren’t many opportunities to switch out.

- Having a Symbol also assumes the Deity whose symbol it is has their hooks in us. Thus we’re predisposed to become an evil priest if we choose to acquire an evil Holy Symbol and getting one now will be a minor shift on the Morality scale. Note that I say minor because right now we’re only twelve years old. We’re just playing around with and learning about Religion with our Holy Symbol, not taking priestly vows. And we may never take such vows. It is perfectly acceptable to be, say, a follower of Loki and never do anything more evil than a few childish pranks and lies, no murders. My character Princess Alicia was such a follower. She was a Bard who never got the Religion necessary to write an epic hymn. Loki was just a childhood fancy for her.

Princess Liza, on the opposite extreme, started out with Lockpicks. Later she bought a Holy Symbol of St. Tuck on a whim and rather than give up her thieving ways she earned Good Morality by donating her earnings to the needy in accordance with the Saint’s teachings. This enabled Liza to romance a Guard Captain and the public saw her as a fun colorful Queen.

Note that if either character had tried to take Priest levels their God might have tried to enforce a higher standard. I usually go full out saint or sinner in my Priest / Paladin runs (I haven’t actually done a Dark Knight run yet, that’s an evil Paladin, but I presume you’d want Evil for that as much as Evil Priest). I think how it goes with Priests is you have to get a certain Morality level for each class level and if you don’t meet the standards at the time of acquiring, you have to switch classes. But you keep your old stats, just maybe lose the special Priest powers (heal, repel or command undead, and so on). But that’s getting a bit far ahead. Again if we get a Holy Symbol here, we are just dabbling. But it can be foundation for later.

This game can get complicated pretty quick, huh? :)

Current Tally:

- 3 for Holy Symbol (seems split between good and evil god, I’ve seen Chthulu be both, we can decide which type of Deity we want next decision if we end up picking an HS.)

- 2 for Spell Book.

- 1 for Lockpicks.

- 1 for Musical Instrument- Lute.

Please continue voting and respect each other’s opinions. The polls remain open till around 1700 CST. If Holy Symbol or Instrument wins, we can address further issues regarding them in decisions to come. Changing votes and seeking clarification is fine up until the decision is closed.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 18, 2017

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Book for Caster Supremacy.

SOLarian
Oct 29, 2012
Pillbug
Book to break the tie

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ok, Book is ahead near the bell. I guess the gods will have to wait a while. Still willing to get involved with them later if you're up for it. My first Dark Knight run last night reminded me of the possibilities. Prince Barry the Black Knight grew from obscurity to the most feared dictator Daria had ever seen, but he ended up a Ghost, wandering and alone... :laugh:

Anyway, it's Renata's time now.

Got Spellbook posted:

The tome is thick and bound in leather. It's full of runes and incantations. This is no child's toy; it is a book of true magic. Although magical study is expected of you, you have taken it far more seriously than anyone would have expected. The result is that your personal grimoire is far more advanced than a child of twelve should be capable of. You slip the book into a specially-made holder on your belt before stepping out of your bedroom.

(Arcana +10, Magic +20, and Gained Spellbook)

That gets us some good starting Magic. Enough to have a bit of fun in our youth even. Let's start our day.

Decision #4 posted:

The halls are already bustling with servants as they carry things from one end of the castle to the other. You make your way through the corridors instead of taking a private route, eager to meet up with your friend before your full day of lessons and tutoring begins. The servants have places to be, and the sheer number of them clogs the passages.

1. Push your way through the halls. You are very strong for your age.

2. Smile at the servants, causing them to step aside. You are a charming individual.

3. Step around the servants. You have a good eye for noticing where the gaps are.

4. Gracefully dodge the servants. You are very agile and light on your feet.

5. Force the servants to part by your very presence.

6. You watch the patterns of traffic and step smoothly into the flow. You are very smart.

Several possibilities here, all with significant reward. I think I'll wait for a good majority on this one, depending on thread flow.

stats posted:

Renata, The Princess of Daria

MORALITY:

ABILITIES:

SKILLS:
Magic: 23%

KNOWLEDGE:
Arcana: 30%

INVENTORY
- a spellbook

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Renata is charming.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Agreed, smile.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Renata is a young princess with some training in powerful magic. People know to get out of her way (because the accident board says it's only been 3 days since she last accidentally set one on fire).

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Use our skills of perception

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Presence.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Charm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU