Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

exquisite tea posted:

When George Lucas was making the prequels I'd read teaser stuff like "and THIS bad guy fights with FOUR lightsabers" and think, "this man totally and utterly understands the average Star Wars fan."

Yeah, and people rip on them now (cause they suck) but those movies were huge hits!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I'm gonna remake Goodfellas but every time Joe Pesci's character would be on screen I'm going to replace him with Chewbacca.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

an actual dog posted:

no it's a thing, like Battlefield was a huge hit and literally all that game did was throw together old star wars stuff in a reverent way.

EA comes across as a bunch of morons in a bunch of different ways but they're not wrong, it would be a more successful game if it had wookies.

Even though it's a Star Wars game, EA is footing the bill while Lucasfilm is licensing it to them. They have a lot more to lose if the game appeals to just Star Wars enthusiasts instead of a more mainstream audience.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
OT Star Wars is good, everything else ranges from really bad to almost as good.

e: the real monster is Capitalism that requires that Stockholders make as much Profit from Products and anything less than a 1,000% Return on Investment is seen as a failure. Artistic and narrative endeavors have no place in such a world, microtransactions and social media exposure are the only goals a company has now.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 27, 2017

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

al-azad posted:

Same way all action blockbusters get spoiled: the LEGO playset, tie-in comic book, or novelization for these things release months earlier.

Remember when everyone thought that Iron Man 3 was going to end with the Mandarin in a scorpion tank taking on Tony Stark because of a leaked Lego set.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Not just a profit, but a growing one.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

you lose coins when you die, there's a spin dash, you build up momentum as you go down hills... is odyssey secretly a sonic game?? think about it

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
The big publishers are fine with funding games that are driven by creative aspirations rather than a profit motive. EA has the EA Originals label, which published Unravel and will publish Fe and Sea of Solitude in the future. Ubisoft published Child of Light and Valiant Hearts. Acti-Blizzard revived the Sierra brand for legacy games like King's Quest and Geomertry Wars. After shutting down Irrational Games, Take2 let Ken Levine start a small team within the company as Ghost Story Games.

The red thread connecting these games is that they have modest budgets and small teams. If the games bomb, then they're out 5 million dollars instead of 50+ million dollars. Even if they don't make much money, they're mostly a way to appease and retain veteran staff who are burnt out on blockbusters and want to jump ship to work on small indie games.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Mmm that's the stuff.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Gamefly just shipped my copy of Odyssey, so soon I will join you all in paradise.

In the meantime gonna put this on loop
https://twitter.com/NintenDaan/status/923833864673513472

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I don't like jump up super star at all

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The soundtrack so far seems kind of weak to me for a Mario game but I love jump up super star

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So in Odyssey we're all in agreement that your shouldn't get hints from hint Toad but getting the names of Random moons from the bird is fine, right? Right???

I was reluctant to talk to the bird that much but this game has far too many moons and some of them are kind of random to figure out if you don't at least have the name

This game, while not flawless, does rule very very hard

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

The soundtrack so far seems kind of weak to me for a Mario game but I love jump up super star

Mario soundtracks peaked with Galaxy and after that they took a hit from the mediocre style of the "New" games which the series still hasn't completley shaken

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

glam rock hamhock posted:

So in Odyssey we're all in agreement that your shouldn't get hints from hint Toad but getting the names of Random moons from the bird is fine, right? Right???

I was reluctant to talk to the bird that much but this game has far too many moons and some of them are kind of random to figure out if you don't at least have the name

This game, while not flawless, does rule very very hard

You should get hints from hint Toad anyway. No shame.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I'll probably play Odyssey in a couple years maybe

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

in mario when you spin a sign it makes a noise a lot like when you bounced the signs at the end of levels in late franchise Genesis sonic games

GOAT

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

SyntheticPolygon posted:

You should get hints from hint Toad anyway. No shame.

I probably will eventually because there are apparently over 800 of these things (probably didn't need to spoiler that but better safe than sorry), but I'll hold off as long as I can

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mario soundtracks peaked with Galaxy and after that they took a hit from the mediocre style of the "New" games which the series still hasn't completley shaken

A lot of the tracks are good but don't really stand out. I'm a fan of Wood Kingdom's theme though.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

If Chewbacca isn't on screen everyone should be asking 'Where's Chewbacca?'

*looks*

he's trapped under a moon op

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I tried to use one of those bagel slicing guillotines today and ended up just partially mushing it. I didn't want to draw attention to myself by futzing around with it so I just ate my bagel unsliced and looked up a YouTube video of how to use it later.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I tried to use one of those bagel slicing guillotines today and ended up just partially mushing it. I didn't want to draw attention to myself by futzing around with it so I just ate my bagel unsliced and looked up a YouTube video of how to use it later.

Who would be watching you that would make you so embarrassed?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

uncle amiibo calls mega man "the lovely amiibo" haha

e: shovel knight too and probably all the third parties

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
AC: Origins update

It's good

al-azad
May 28, 2009

oddium posted:

uncle amiibo calls mega man "the lovely amiibo" haha

e: shovel knight too and probably all the third parties

He better call the Sonic amiibo something unique.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

al-azad posted:

trip report:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

al-azad posted:

Who would be watching you that would make you so embarrassed?

This was a public cafe-type setting.

Made me think of the scene with the coffee machine in Wolfenstein

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

That reminds me that that Lego toys to life game if you had Sonic and Bart Simpson together, Sonic actually referenced this scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tcAevfwP3M

Anyways, I can't believe I've been playing Mario Odyssey pretty much nonstop all day and I'm still only in the fourth world.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FirstAidKite posted:

Chewbacca: aaaaahnr raaaaaahhgh aaaaahnr aarrragghuuhw hnnnhrrhhh aguhwwgggghhh huurh

[Chewbacca died on the way back to his home planet.]

no he died on a planet, crushed by the moon like in majora's mask

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

exploded mummy posted:

*looks*

he's trapped under a moon op

The White Dragon posted:

no he died on a planet, crushed by the moon like in majora's mask

That's no moon

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Chewbacca getting crushed by a moon has been exiled to the mists, the same place where the protagonist of KOTOR 2 went

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Chewbacca getting crushed by a moon has been exiled to the mists, the same place where the protagonist of KOTOR 2 went

It's still canon to me

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Nazi status: punched

Also axed, shot, exploded, vaporized

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

That reminds me that that Lego toys to life game if you had Sonic and Bart Simpson together, Sonic actually referenced this scene

I looked up a video of that Lego game to see what the line was and I found this first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9Uxlo6SxTw&t=48s

:laffo: I didn't expect to ever see a reference to Sonic '06 from another official Sonic... anything

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

gently caress, the Humble Monthly bundle got me again with the worst lead-off games yet.

Hopefully the rest of the month's games are good

Yeah, I forgot to cancel for this month too. There hasn't been a month yet where I felt like there wasn't at least $12 of worthwhile games in there, so hopefully the rest of the set makes up for this poo poo.

3D World's soundtrack is fantastic.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 28, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

homeless snail posted:

you lose coins when you die, there's a spin dash, you build up momentum as you go down hills... is odyssey secretly a sonic game?? think about it

I've thought about it, and I think you need to cut it out with this blasphemous poo poo

al-azad
May 28, 2009

*leans in* Yoshi's Island was secretly a Sonic game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

raditts posted:

I've thought about it, and I think you need to cut it out with this blasphemous poo poo
when I load up after effects and put some green hill zone music and the sonic UI over mario footage you'll be sorry

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

al-azad posted:

*leans in* Yoshi's Island was secretly a Sonic game.

That explains the impossible? maze and the really really long cave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm taking a break from video games to watch Sonic Underground. Sonic is about to charge into a horde of robots and lets out the quip "Let's tease 'em and squeeze em"

• Locked thread