Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
I want tesco in the states instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Tesco is just a supermarket

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i could def endorse the whole premade sandwiches in shops and stuff industry cause its way better than what i saw in the states tho

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

bump_fn posted:

temporarily embarrassed millionaires but w accents

I don't think that's quite accurate. The mentality that keeps people voting conservatively in the the UK is less to do with aspiration (though that is an element) and more resignation. People don't generally think they'll be the one making millions, but they're afraid that if they risk interfering with those who do, then they could stand to lose what little they have in the fallout.

Naturally, when the proles have an ever-diminishing amount to lose, this becomes less effective.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Bryter posted:

I don't think that's quite accurate. The mentality that keeps people voting conservatively in the the UK is less to do with aspiration (though that is an element) and more resignation. People don't generally think they'll be the one making millions, but they're afraid that if they risk interfering with those who do, then they could stand to lose what little they have in the fallout.

Naturally, when the proles have an ever-diminishing amount to lose, this becomes less effective.

how much of it is out of spite? i feel like in the US anyone who isnt upper middle class who votes R is doing to some degree it to spite someone of lower station than them

augias
Apr 7, 2009

is canada the consensus leastbad anglo country? ireland? whatever the answer you're all very ugly

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

augias posted:

is canada the consensus leastbad anglo country? ireland? whatever the answer you're all very ugly

new zealand has prob a less systemically terrible treatment of indigenous people i think?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

augias posted:

I don't know if it's fair to count Ireland considering the widespread use of Gaelic.

Canada or New Zealand is perennially the second-best English-speaking country. The US benefits from a great treasury of merit owing to our outsize contributions to the world.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

bump_fn posted:

how much of it is out of spite? i feel like in the US anyone who isnt upper middle class who votes R is doing to some degree it to spite someone of lower station than them

we're an extremely spiteful people and the press have done a good job in that regard but as with the US who you vote for is largely determined by where you're from

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Isn't age the best predictor for voting patterns in the UK? As ever, the olds are the worst.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
canada did a full USA on its native people and then ignore it hte way the USA does, dont give htem a pass

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

bump_fn posted:

Less than was the case in the recent past. In the time of Thatcher and New Labour there was widespread suspicion that benefit claimants were getting a free ride, but welfare cuts from 2010 onwards have become pretty unpopular among most of the population.

augias posted:

lol not Ireland

Here's the main reason

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
and i only suggested NZ cause i feel like geographically its small enough that they cant have brutalized as many indigenous peoples as australia did

augias
Apr 7, 2009

hakimashou posted:

I don't know if it's fair to count Ireland considering the widespread use of Gaelic.

Canada or New Zealand is perennially the second-best English-speaking country. The US benefits from a great treasury of merit owing to our outsize contributions to the world.
Those contributions are from the before time. Now donald trump is the president of you guys

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

oh please, theres better places to get banger rolls

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Lastgirl posted:

oh please, theres better places to get banger rolls

i mean yeah hte nisa local across the stret has better ones, also chicken curry pasties and stuff, but thats a grocery chain not a fast food chain

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

bump_fn posted:

canada did a full USA on its native people and then ignore it hte way the USA does, dont give htem a pass

we did like 95% of a USA on the 'killing them' part and then like 2000% of a USA on the 'ignore/actively mistreat them' part

jfc we had concentration camps for native children into the 60s

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Zhulik posted:

I want tesco in the states instead

Tesco tried to expand to the US but the venture failed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresh_%26_Easy

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 24 days!)

augias posted:

Never call Ireland an Anglo country again, you keep that poo poo out your mouth.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Mercia is the best Anglo country, get your pro-Wessex bullshit out of here

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Never call Ireland an Anglo country again, you keep that poo poo out your mouth.

also this

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i once accidentally insulted a bunch of irish tourists by forgetting over and over they weren't "englishmen"

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers
At the very best, the average Irish person can maybe remember enough gaeilge from school to ask if they can use the toilet.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but 800 years of occupation left the island pretty loving anglo in the grand scheme of things

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Baloogan posted:

i once accidentally insulted a bunch of irish tourists by forgetting over and over they weren't "englishmen"

nice

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

hakimashou posted:

Tesco tried to expand to the US but the venture failed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresh_%26_Easy

Oh poo poo, that was tesco? I went to the local one a few times before it closed and it seemed alright.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
lmao if you think Varadkar's ireland is Cool and Good and not Double Anglo Garbage.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 24 days!)

Bryter posted:

At the very best, the average Irish person can maybe remember enough gaeilge from school to ask if they can use the toilet.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but 800 years of occupation left the island pretty loving anglo in the grand scheme of things

Anglo isn't a language, it's a mindset.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
britain is definitely much better than america but suffice to say they are working very hard to level the field

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Sir Mark Cernovich's Anglo Mindset, a cookbook about boiling steak

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Mercia is the best Anglo country, get your pro-Wessex bullshit out of here

so you are pro Donaeld the Unready

https://twitter.com/donaeldunready/status/910166358192787456

not a good look

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers
Real anglos never left Jutland

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
see the problem here is it looks like some are looking at shittiest anglo country from an absolute shittyness perspective, while others are considering shittiness per capita, an an absolute scale yeah america's gotta be the shittiest but when you consider the respective populations the individual brit is much much shittier

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
The thing that makes the U.S. the worst Anglo country is that they wasted their potential. They quit the empire and instead of doing away with all the poo poo things about Britain they just went "nah let's do the same things but on a bigger scale lol".

Also lets poorly educate our citizens to the point where they're functionally retarded, give them unrestricted access to guns and then charge them their life's earnings to fix them when they inevitably shoot each other.

Basically British empire 2, the sequels are always worse.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
At least the brits are trying to atone for their shittiness by choosing to commit a drawn-out ritualistic national suicide.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Cerebral Bore posted:

At least the brits are trying to atone for their shittiness by choosing to commit a drawn-out ritualistic national suicide.

my friends mum voted for brexit because she heard a somalian man saying we didn't have the guts to do it

so this checks out

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

nopantsjack posted:

my friends mum voted for brexit because she heard a somalian man saying we didn't have the guts to do it

so this checks out

goddamn somalian owns are insanely good

augias
Apr 7, 2009

nopantsjack posted:

so this checks out

the ol' marty mcfly voter

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Greggs is good

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

their katsu chicken bake is shite though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Looke posted:

their katsu chicken bake is shite though

:wrong: