Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Alehkhs posted:

Financier has had its frontend open-sourced by the creator. They do note that they will be keeping financier.io up and running for the foreseeable future however, if there's anyone else out there still using it like me. :shrug:

My girlfriend uses financier so this is good to know. This thread told me that YNAB does have a household license (or something) and I've been meaning to just get her to use YNAB but I feel like having her re-enter all of her poo poo may just annoy her and put her off from doing it. Plus her laptop is ancient and it will die sooner rather than later, so I'll just install YNAB on her new computer when she has to get a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I have some transactions in my YNAB4 that are auto entered by my desktop version. Every once in a while, they absolutely refuse to sync to my phone. I have to delete it from my desktop and manually re-enter it before it syncs down to my phone.

This doesn’t happen every time for auto-entered transactions, just every once in a while. Dropbox on my pc and phones are both linked and working correctly. I had no clue what’s happening. Anyone else see this ever?

Second issue that I’ve seen forever: every so often, I enter poo poo in on my phone, and next time I open the app, it’ll say the desktop triggered a re-sync. After syncing, anything I’ve recently entered is gone. It doesn’t actually sync it, it just straight up deletes my recent stuff I’ve entered.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I'm having a bad brain day.
How do I handle a new student loan where some will go to tuition and what's left over will go be a "refund"? Taking just enough to pay tuition is not an option right now as I'm between jobs.

I have an existing loan in an off-budget category, so I'd add the new loan to that, which would reflect the true amount, but my checking account total would be off. Do I then make a separate entry for X income and Y against my "college savings" budget category?

I guess that's the way to go because being granted the loan and then having the loan applied are two separate transactions, but I've gotten to used to Income -> Budget to -> Log transaction

Then again, future transfers to the loan would have to be categorized as student loan payments so that would be double counting...

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Moneyball posted:

I'm having a bad brain day.
How do I handle a new student loan where some will go to tuition and what's left over will go be a "refund"? Taking just enough to pay tuition is not an option right now as I'm between jobs.

I have an existing loan in an off-budget category, so I'd add the new loan to that, which would reflect the true amount, but my checking account total would be off. Do I then make a separate entry for X income and Y against my "college savings" budget category?

I guess that's the way to go because being granted the loan and then having the loan applied are two separate transactions, but I've gotten to used to Income -> Budget to -> Log transaction

Then again, future transfers to the loan would have to be categorized as student loan payments so that would be double counting...

Your new owed loan balance is an off budget account with a negative balance.

The funds from the loan are income to be budgeted for tuition and your various expenses.

The principal of loan repayments is a balance transfer to your off budget loan account. The interest is an expense that you flush down the toilet.

This way your net worth reflects reality :)

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

So is there anyway to buy YNAB4? It seems like you *have* to buy the subscription fee, which feels like a lot.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

NNick posted:

So is there anyway to buy YNAB4? It seems like you *have* to buy the subscription fee, which feels like a lot.

might still be on steam, not sure.

ed: nope

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I already have it installed so I didn't bother to download and install this, but maybe this link?

https://classic.youneedabudget.com/download

I assume you install it and after the trial, pay to register?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
YNAB is raising their sub pricing pretty quick here to $85/year. Reddit is freaking out about it which is always a good time.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
If you subscribe before tomorrow you can grandfather in to the old price.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I'll keep my 5 dollar month to month forever I'm sure.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Need to use YNAB to budget the $4.16 monthly and pay annually!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I'll just use YNAB4 until it breaks for good and hope someone can keep it going after that.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I don't mind spending a bit on something good, but increasing prices when your customers are exclusively people focused on spending less money doesn't seem like a brilliant strategy.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Chaotic Flame posted:

I'll just use YNAB4 until it breaks for good and hope someone can keep it going after that.

Yup, me too.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

uXs posted:

I don't mind spending a bit on something good, but increasing prices when your customers are exclusively people focused on spending less money doesn't seem like a brilliant strategy.
Yeah; however, I think they know this too because their current customers won't be affected. Only registrations after Nov 15th will.

After putting it off for months, by chance I made my account yesterday!

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Yeah but how long will that last? I subscribed 1 month ago I think? Somehow I doubt I'll still get the lower price next year, and I'll need to think about it if it increases while it would be a no-questions-asked renewal if the price stays the same.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Their FAQ suggests that, as of now, plans are that as long as you renew with the same account, you'll keep the price. https://www.youneedabudget.com/price-change-faqs-2017/

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Some answers to mails people have been sending suggest otherwise.

Oh well, I still have 11 months left, we'll see what happens.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
They're raising the price because they think the value of the service warrants it. Not because there's new functionality, available or coming. So some of the upheaval seems justified.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

They're raising the price because they think the value of the service warrants it. Not because there's new functionality, available or coming. So some of the upheaval seems justified.

Isn't there still a lot of missing functionality though? Like some of the reporting? How the hell are you gonna raise prices with that outstanding?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Dango Bango posted:

Isn't there still a lot of missing functionality though? Like some of the reporting? How the hell are you gonna raise prices with that outstanding?

Enough missing that the user-created addon is still necessary to flush it out.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
They are creating so much ill will with my wife that when YNAB4 finally breaks (classic mobile app death will do it for us), I fear it will become our new hobby to write an open source replacement.

We both work in the IT industry, I'm a developer and she is currently a release manager, but she is keen to expand into dev herself.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Xik posted:

They are creating so much ill will with my wife that when YNAB4 finally breaks (classic mobile app death will do it for us), I fear it will become our new hobby to write an open source replacement.

We both work in the IT industry, I'm a developer and she is currently a release manager, but she is keen to expand into dev herself.

Heads up the Financier guy released his source code and it's an excellent-if-unfinished product.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Chaotic Flame posted:

Xik posted:

I'll be counting on you.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

They're totally going to stop all development on 4 and some Dropbox API will get changed and make us all cry.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Heads up the Financier guy released his source code and it's an excellent-if-unfinished product.

Yeah, we noticed. He actually approached things in a pretty smart way to minimise dev time. Web app with local storage. Solved the sync and mobile device problems without sinking huge amounts of dev time. There is no real reason we couldn't just continue that project...

The cross device syncing would always be a pain point if you want to do it right and not just be lazy and throw a flat file or local db in Dropbox or something.

Chaotic Flame posted:

I'll be counting on you.

I really wouldn't put any faith in me. Its my day job, so when I do it in my free time I am an absolute prick about it andn dont take feature requests from users seriously unless I want it.

Eg, wife and I manually enter in all transactions, no auto import, no csv or other flat file import or any other garbage like that. We were sold on the original pitch that entering them in manually was a way to mentally check them off and verify them. It's also part of our "process" to verify others spend if we are unsure of something. So right there it's a feature lots of people care about that would never make it in.

Another one: notes everywhere. EVERYWHERE. I can already picture the absolute mess of a UI where every action has a note field. Or maybe something more elegant like an audit/history log, where we can attach notes to each action.

It's dumb stuff like that which we would probably waste time on which no one would use except us but we wouldn't care.

We took nYNAB for a test run when we went on holiday earlier this year and budgeted the vacation "subbudget". It's was a good way to give it a run without abandoning our primary budget. It was serviceable, there was a few things still missing that were annoying, but that's the thing. It's a slightly worse product for significantly more $$.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Xik posted:

Yeah, we noticed. He actually approached things in a pretty smart way to minimise dev time. Web app with local storage. Solved the sync and mobile device problems without sinking huge amounts of dev time. There is no real reason we couldn't just continue that project...

The cross device syncing would always be a pain point if you want to do it right and not just be lazy and throw a flat file or local db in Dropbox or something.

I really wouldn't put any faith in me. Its my day job, so when I do it in my free time I am an absolute prick about it andn dont take feature requests from users seriously unless I want it.

Eg, wife and I manually enter in all transactions, no auto import, no csv or other flat file import or any other garbage like that. We were sold on the original pitch that entering them in manually was a way to mentally check them off and verify them. It's also part of our "process" to verify others spend if we are unsure of something. So right there it's a feature lots of people care about that would never make it in.

Another one: notes everywhere. EVERYWHERE.
I can already picture the absolute mess of a UI where every action has a note field. Or maybe something more elegant like an audit/history log, where we can attach notes to each action.

It's dumb stuff like that which we would probably waste time on which no one would use except us but we wouldn't care.

We took nYNAB for a test run when we went on holiday earlier this year and budgeted the vacation "subbudget". It's was a good way to give it a run without abandoning our primary budget. It was serviceable, there was a few things still missing that were annoying, but that's the thing. It's a slightly worse product for significantly more $$.

This sounds like heaven

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

https://www.budgetwise.io seems to be something to keep the eyes on. Supposed to release spring 2018. I guess there's going to be a testing period, judging that early access remark.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So I recently got this and am a bit confused on how goals work.

Say I set a $700 (max I want to spend) goal for xmas, so I need the money by end of December. I have $500 saved by November.

During November I buy a gift for $200 and assign it the the gift category.

Now it says I am short $500 instead of $200.

Do I need to manually adjust my goal every time I buy a gift or am I doing this wrong?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Little confused by your use of "goal", maybe misunderstanding?

In a category, you only assign money you already have. You assign all your money into categories until your budget squares out to zero.

Then when you spend, you assign a transaction to a category and that amount is deducted from that budget category.

The category values aren't your goals. The idea of goals is more conceptually like:

Day its April now, by Xmas I want to have an Xmas fund have $700. To do that I need to assign $100 each month into that fund so by the time I get there it will have $700 assigned to it and you can go spend.

Maybe I missed the mark on what you're asking/doing? Maybe screenshot of it's not too sensitive?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Xik posted:

Little confused by your use of "goal", maybe misunderstanding?

In a category, you only assign money you already have. You assign all your money into categories until your budget squares out to zero.

Then when you spend, you assign a transaction to a category and that amount is deducted from that budget category.

The category values aren't your goals. The idea of goals is more conceptually like:

Day its April now, by Xmas I want to have an Xmas fund have $700. To do that I need to assign $100 each month into that fund so by the time I get there it will have $700 assigned to it and you can go spend.

Maybe I missed the mark on what you're asking/doing? Maybe screenshot of it's not too sensitive?

nYNAB has an actual 'goals' feature, so you can say "I want $700 by December" and if you budget less than $100/month in that category it'll flag it as yellow

But because you spent out of it in November, that means you won't have a full $700 budgeted in December, so yeah, that's throwing your goal off, and in this case you should adjust your goal down $200

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
That's actually pretty neat, I don't remember that when I tried nYNAB. I guess its just formalising what i currently put in as a category note.

E: guess I should also assume when newbies ask questions in this thread they would be using nYNAB sorry. :)

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Set date goals is really designed for fixed payments by a certain date, like insurance and taxes and the like. A monthly funding goal would make more sense for gifts

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Harminoff posted:

So I recently got this and am a bit confused on how goals work.

Say I set a $700 (max I want to spend) goal for xmas, so I need the money by end of December. I have $500 saved by November.

During November I buy a gift for $200 and assign it the the gift category.

Now it says I am short $500 instead of $200.

Do I need to manually adjust my goal every time I buy a gift or am I doing this wrong?

Yes you will need to re-adjust. Maybe next year set this goal for November, so you'll have everything ready when you start spending on presents.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
So I am testing YNAB for the 30 day trial at the moment. My question is regarding entering income from the past week or so. I have added my income from a few days ago and started to enter in transactions to show where the money went up to today. Then I saw on one of the many youtube videos that's wrong and i should have just started my budget with the £42 I have in my account.

The kicker I guess is that I only have 30 days to decide if I want to subscribe or not and need to get it working for me asap.

Having this software for 5 hours has already forced me to ring 2 suppliers (one electric utility and one mobile) to sort out deals and direct debits so its working!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

thegasman2000 posted:

So I am testing YNAB for the 30 day trial at the moment. My question is regarding entering income from the past week or so. I have added my income from a few days ago and started to enter in transactions to show where the money went up to today. Then I saw on one of the many youtube videos that's wrong and i should have just started my budget with the £42 I have in my account.

The kicker I guess is that I only have 30 days to decide if I want to subscribe or not and need to get it working for me asap.

Having this software for 5 hours has already forced me to ring 2 suppliers (one electric utility and one mobile) to sort out deals and direct debits so its working!

Just add the extra 42 quid as income, from 'money already in bank,' manually mark it as 'cleared,' and assign it to something. Easy peasy. Or look for an 'adjust balance' option; I use YNAB 4, and that's an option under the account itself. Dunno about nYNAB.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 5, 2017

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
in NYNAB you can do that or you could reconcile the account against actual and it will offer to put in a balance adjustment for the missing money, correcting the balance

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Has nYNAB changed how credit cards are handled?

All but one of my credit card accounts were created as "cash" accounts because of the wonky way CCs were handled when nYNAB launched. On the one "credit card" account I do have, I've noticed there's a new "Payment" indicator, but I haven't spent much time trying to figure out exactly how it works. I'm wondering if it's now beneficial to register credit cards as "credit cards".

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
I just recently started using YNAB and CC handling makes a lot of sense. You define your account as a CC, and a related category is automatically created for it. Whenever you pay something with the CC, the money is taken off the available money in the corresponding category (e.g. groceries) and assigned to the CC. That way you're sure you can pay the CC, as everything it has was budgeted already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Unless you're paying off existing debt on the card, it doesn't really make sense. If the card is set up as regular account, it'll also subtract from the normal categories and the account goes into debt. And because you have budgeted money to begin with to the category, the money is already there to pay it off. Since the credit card account goes into debt, the net value of yours is already correct, before you pay off the card.