Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

WaltherFeng posted:

The artwork for Zodiac Age is fantastic. Everytime I turn on my console I look at the related artwork for a second.

Also it’s the best Final Fantasy

I just started playing last night and it really is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

el oso posted:

The funniest bit of FFXV story wonkiness to me is that Noct returns after 10 years and is pretty much just like "hey" to his bros and that's about their only discussion about him being missing for 10 years.

That's very true to masculine expectancy and was pretty impactful imo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The final scene in XV is wonderful and some of the best melodramatic work FF has done, Up there with X and VI and VII.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

WaltherFeng posted:

The artwork for Zodiac Age is fantastic. Everytime I turn on my console I look at the related artwork for a second.

Also it’s the best Final Fantasy

I'm still disappointed they replaced the artwork for the Beastiary with the actual in-game models.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

In Training posted:

The final scene in XV is wonderful and some of the best melodramatic work FF has done, Up there with X and VI and VII.

It's really good.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I didn't understand the last scene in ffxv and frankly I didn't care

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Explains a lot

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Like I get it that he dies or whatever but the whole thing is dumb as hell cuz all the characters were dumb as hell and I couldn't give a poo poo about any of them

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

BGrifter posted:

To be fair "hey" is half the dialogue in the game.

The other half is Prompto talking about how bad he wants to gently caress a chocobo.

I think Chocolina's existence messed up the minds of a lot of fans.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Usually I don't bother worrying about localization changes, it's fine to change some stuff around for the sake of tone or consistent characterization.

But man, I wish we got "I love you guys" instead of "You guys are the best"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lmao at this Dissidia survey I got sent asking me to choose the ad-copy for the game.

Also asking me to rank potential box arts when one has already been chosen.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

fridge corn posted:

I didn't understand the last scene in ffxv and frankly I didn't care

it was basically this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23GrEhLUF_k

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So is FFD2 a FFV clone again or not? Because if the answer is yes I can put up with a truly staggering amount of bullshit.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
As long as most enemies don’t counter with a) a very hard hitting AoE physical or b) a very hard hitting AoE physical with a high rate of confusion FFD2 will be the better game.

Whack and Thwack sucked poo poo.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Usually I don't bother worrying about localization changes, it's fine to change some stuff around for the sake of tone or consistent characterization.

The best part about XV is really the cast comprising of sappy cryboys who love each other. They're sweet.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Armitage posted:

As long as most enemies don’t counter with a) a very hard hitting AoE physical or b) a very hard hitting AoE physical with a high rate of confusion FFD2 will be the better game.

Whack and Thwack sucked poo poo.

I'd accept those dumb counters as long as there's no Alba-grade writing, but I'm sure there will be. :sigh:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Barudak posted:

So is FFD2 a FFV clone again or not? Because if the answer is yes I can put up with a truly staggering amount of bullshit.
It's a standalone version of a gacha game, so nobody knows how they're going to do it; Japan is getting the standalone at the same time we are, and the gacha game ends service the day before. It could be a surprisingly fun RPG if they balance it right, it could be a horrible grindy mess if they don't.

From what I can tell the story seems a lot more generic adventure though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Phantasium posted:

lmao at this Dissidia survey I got sent asking me to choose the ad-copy for the game.

Also asking me to rank potential box arts when one has already been chosen.
They're doing another Dissidia?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh boy are they

Yes they are.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cool, I thought Dissidia was a neat idea but never got into it. It's still very cool to me that Kuja can get jealous of Terra's style and try to murder her for stealing his look.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Which I assume is most of the plot of Dissidia.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Which I assume is most of the plot of Dissidia.

I don't think anyone actually knows what the plot of Dissidia is.

Including the developers.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
The plot is “hey, cool stuff and explosions!”.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

I don't think anyone actually knows what the plot of Dissidia is.

Including the developers.

I think that gas leak document making fun of FF8's development is more appropriate for describing how Dissidia's plot was written.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It is all literally FF1 Cid's fault. Please note that FF1 Cid didn't even exist originally.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hopefully we'll get more games set in Ivalice based on those sales numbers. Or at least FF12 will be studied for ideas for the next Final Fantasy game. I'd really love to see the framework it laid out expanded in a more modern environment.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

If they used both XII (which I'm not a fan of, but respect) and XV as the framework for the next mainline title, I would be hype af.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

esperterra posted:

If they used both XII (which I'm not a fan of, but respect) and XV as the framework for the next mainline title, I would be hype af.

Could work, program your team, action combat in Ivalice

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Although I don't know the extent of the changes, for some reason I recall Noct saying ,,You guys" a lot, so the line has gained even more of a bittersweet feeling to me.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Imo the way he says it conveys a lot more than how it’s translated. Haven’t watched the scene recently but I recall how you can even hear the ever so slight crack in his voice. It was really unexpected and good scene

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
FF XV voice acting is top notch, and the ending is superb. When they'll finally finish the game I'll probably buy it again.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

WaltherFeng posted:

Imo the way he says it conveys a lot more than how it’s translated. Haven’t watched the scene recently but I recall how you can even hear the ever so slight crack in his voice. It was really unexpected and good scene

Its the part where he breaks and mumbles "why is this so difficult" that really sells it during that scene for me

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
People are still confused about the ending? Like....how?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Tae posted:

People are still confused about the ending? Like....how?

Most gamers are the type of people who skip all cutscenes and then complain that the story sucked and wasn't interesting even though they intentionally avoided it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I appreciate that Final Fantasy 15 saved me the trouble of skipping the story by actually failing to include parts of it in the first place.

13 tried to hide the story in datalogs but they didn't go far enough I say.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 27, 2017

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Elephant Ambush posted:

Most gamers are the type of people who skip all cutscenes and then complain that the story sucked and wasn't interesting even though they intentionally avoided it.

I have friends to do this and it’s infuriating. The thousand yard stare as they button mash through any text and cutscene skip, picking back up where the game plops them out with no story context so they can continue bashing things with swords.

“I don’t get why I’m here.”

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Could work, program your team, action combat in Ivalice

If you could gambit your party in XV but still manually input potions in emergencies, and still be the one popping their techs, that would have been so slick. The self heals they have are p poo poo and not really worth the AP other than the one extreme dungeon you can't use items, and constantly opening the menu to potion/elixir them slowed poo poo down pretty often toward the endgame.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

HD DAD posted:

I have friends to do this and it’s infuriating. The thousand yard stare as they button mash through any text and cutscene skip, picking back up where the game plops them out with no story context so they can continue bashing things with swords.

“I don’t get why I’m here.”

2005-era PA occasionally did not suck.

(the title of this comic is "We Were Playing The Second Digital Devil Saga" but honestly if you change up a few details you can pick your own FF here)

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I think Eternal Sonata has a 45+ minute long cutscene where a character dies. Maybe it's not actually 45 minutes long but it sure as hell felt like it dragged on forever.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Hopefully we'll get more games set in Ivalice based on those sales numbers. Or at least FF12 will be studied for ideas for the next Final Fantasy game. I'd really love to see the framework it laid out expanded in a more modern environment.

A finger on the money paw curls shut as SE announces Final Fantasy Tactics Mobile, with a gacha system that makes Brave Exvius look generous.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 27, 2017