Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Evil Fluffy posted:

A finger on the money paw curls shut as SE announces Final Fantasy Tactics Mobile, with a gacha system that makes Brave Exvius look generous.

For $5 or a few hours worth of in-game currency, you can upgrade your Squire to a Knight. Buy the FF1 pack and start with a Knight, Black Mage, White Mage, and Thief. Share on social media to unlock unique Bard abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Hopefully we'll get more games set in Ivalice based on those sales numbers. Or at least FF12 will be studied for ideas for the next Final Fantasy game. I'd really love to see the framework it laid out expanded in a more modern environment.

They did that already. It was for things not to do in future games.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

A finger on the money paw curls shut as SE announces Final Fantasy Tactics Mobile, with a gacha system that makes Brave Exvius look generous.

Announces?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

(the title of this comic is "We Were Playing The Second Digital Devil Saga" but honestly if you change up a few details you can pick your own FF here)

crystal chronicles is the biggest offender here. who gives a poo poo about hurdy or the black knight, just let me punch poo poo with my buddies already god drat

and then the piece of poo poo game quizzes you about the conversations you skipped at the end of the game what the gently caress

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I would buy a new crystal chronicles game (in the game play style of the original) in a heartbeat

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ninjewtsu posted:

I would buy a new crystal chronicles game (in the game play style of the original) in a heartbeat

:same:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I only had one gameboy so I guess I wasn't in Crystal Chronicles target audience. Never played it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

We pulled many an all nighter with CC in high school. I wish I had a copy of it, I really should track one down. Still have my GC, SP and four of the link cables!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nihilarian posted:

I only had one gameboy so I guess I wasn't in Crystal Chronicles target audience. Never played it.

well we played in boarding school, so we all had our own handhelds. no personal TVs allowed. only one of us had a gamecube, though. i had a crt with a/v in, it was the perfect storm for my friends and i to play 4p FF:CC every afternoon :unsmigghh:

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

Just make an offline version of Rise of the Zilart and Chains of Promathia already SE.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

The White Dragon posted:

crystal chronicles is the biggest offender here. who gives a poo poo about hurdy or the black knight, just let me punch poo poo with my buddies already god drat

and then the piece of poo poo game quizzes you about the conversations you skipped at the end of the game what the gently caress

It's me. I care. And the quizzes at the end are cool.

Though, they are less cool for speedrunning, where you have to play them in japanese and the responses end up looking similar based on the random events :v:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

you mean this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUhC0Nw3xAg

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Dragonturtle posted:

Just make an offline version of Rise of the Zilart and Chains of Promathia already SE.

:agreed:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
FFXV is justified as a game just by the dialogue in the quest to go get beans. Everything else is just gravy.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

CaptainScraps posted:

FFXV is justified as a game just by the dialogue in the quest to go get beans. Everything else is just gravy.

Also that cute catte you befriend and has two questlines to feed it.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Final Fantasy 12 is good.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Frionnel posted:

I love it except for the endgame dungeons. That stupid loving Pharos tower is a really annoying slog and oh man if you want to bother trying to get all the best loot in the second part of the great crystal I did lol.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
I really enjoyed endgame FFXII... on the Zodiac version with the speedup button. I loved the ideas and aesthetic going on, but endgame areas are super huge and take forever to explore. Compound that with hunting monsters with obscure spawn conditions, or sometimes having no map... I couldn't finish my playthrough of vanilla, but Zodiac was a blast.

The story parts of the Great Crystal are mostly linear, you just follow the paths sloping downward. The optional parts though are more mazelike and have some timed gates. To beat those gates I made a hand-drawn map. There are very few games I've played that made me have to manually draw a map, but honestly I've enjoyed that every time. I also got the Danjuro L to drop in there, and giggled like mad to learn that it had an 80% instant death proc. Then the boss fights with Ultima and Omega at the end, and getting Excalibur... What an amazing dungeon.

Anyone who had mixed feelings about FFXII should try the Zodiac version. The QoL changes are enormous. There's no way I could ever touch vanilla again, but if IZJS gets a PC release I will nab it in a heartbeat.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think Eternal Sonata has a 45+ minute long cutscene where a character dies. Maybe it's not actually 45 minutes long but it sure as hell felt like it dragged on forever.
YouTube says it's ten minutes and twenty-seven seconds... but before I googled it I would have said fifteen if not twenty. It's literally a woman monologing to a bird.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I never got too far into Eternal Sonata, was it worth finishing? Seemed fun but isn't high on my backlog list to return to.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

esperterra posted:

I never got too far into Eternal Sonata, was it worth finishing? Seemed fun but isn't high on my backlog list to return to.

it depends, do you think hours and hours of college intro-level philosophy navel gazing, and a half-hour j.o. sesh about how intellectual the lead writer is in lieu of an actual ending, is worth it?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I appreciate Eternal Sonata because even at the very end of the game all of the anime children look at Chopin, who they have been adventuring with for some 40-60 hours, and go "wait who are you again?"

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Frionnel posted:

It's the best Final fantasy

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Been playing the hell out of FFRK and I've been wanting to get back into some of the games I loved. Got some questions:

1) Is there going to be a PC release of FFXII: Zodiac Age? I have a copy on my PS2, but that's not available for me at the moment.
2) Is there a PC version of FFI and II? Last time I played those was, again, on my PS2 with the Origins collection, but surely there must have been a re-re-release since?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
There are mobile versions of ff1 and 2

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

2005-era PA occasionally did not suck.

(the title of this comic is "We Were Playing The Second Digital Devil Saga" but honestly if you change up a few details you can pick your own FF here)

DDS2 does have way too much dialog, especially compared to how minimalist the first one was

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

In Training posted:

DDS2 does have way too much dialog, especially compared to how minimalist the first one was

The first game was not very minimalist at all though, compared to its immediate predecessor SMT: Nocturne

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

WoFF is coming to PC

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

ceaselessfuture posted:

Been playing the hell out of FFRK and I've been wanting to get back into some of the games I loved. Got some questions:

1) Is there going to be a PC release of FFXII: Zodiac Age? I have a copy on my PS2, but that's not available for me at the moment.
2) Is there a PC version of FFI and II? Last time I played those was, again, on my PS2 with the Origins collection, but surely there must have been a re-re-release since?

Even if Zodiac Age is running on Sony's PhyreEngine, that hasn't stopped the games on that engine to release on other platforms.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sunning posted:

Even if Zodiac Age is running on Sony's PhyreEngine, that hasn't stopped the games on that engine to release on other platforms.

Not even Square Enix games, as proven by FFX/2HD

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The White Dragon posted:

it depends, do you think hours and hours of college intro-level philosophy navel gazing, and a half-hour j.o. sesh about how intellectual the lead writer is in lieu of an actual ending, is worth it?
They did add a semi-actual ending to the PS3 port. Which is weird because you wouldn't think a port would include an additional final boss fight that feels like it was meant to be the real final fight all along and a slightly less lovely ending.

There's also a bonus dungeon that is only worthwhile because when you clear it the party just goes "That was close! Who is that guy, anyway?" and it's never mentioned again, and also you can get the guy voiced by Cam Clarke in your party even if he sucks.

(it is still not a good game, but I have a soft spot for it)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Arist posted:

WoFF is coming to PC

Fine, you assholes, I'll buy the drat game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Oh, it's that game that no one conventionally remembers when people complain about Square not making any more turn-based rpgs

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Is WoFF really any good? I just found it in a bargain bin. Worth the time, or no?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You found it in a bargain bin. Think about it.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

WoFF is fantastic. It's Final Fantasy Pokemon, what's not to like?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The combat is slow as molasses even with speedup

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Is WoFF really any good? I just found it in a bargain bin. Worth the time, or no?

It's fun and super charming.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
I'm surprised the only versions of 1 and 2 are on the phone. That's a bit of a shame! I don't really like playing ports on my phone because they always feel clunky. Oh well.

Guess I'll wait a year or so on FFXII!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The PSP ports are fine enough and emulate well in PPSSPP.