Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Zoro posted:

I mean, that kind of makes sense. I mean what else are you going to talk about? Even if you did have a game, like I have, where characters develop, have Shining Moments, and you have an awesome story, you can't sit there and tell them years of events that are only interesting if you were there unless you have a podcast. Since most people don't, what else are they going to talk about than that one wacky time?

The real problem is when this leads to players expecting that to be the norm and trying to force that. You get that from new players who came in from podcasts or Tumblr or etcetera.
There's definitely a middle ground to be had between "lol I rolled real good/bad" and "let me tell you all 5 years of this game's history". You spend a paragraph or so (or the verbal equivalent) on the actual relevant details of the game and the set pieces first, then tell the story. Most "awesome moment" stories shouldn't take more than like 5 minutes to tell even with that needed backstory and if it does then it better be one hell of a story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yawgmoth posted:

There's definitely a middle ground to be had between "lol I rolled real good/bad" and "let me tell you all 5 years of this game's history". You spend a paragraph or so (or the verbal equivalent) on the actual relevant details of the game and the set pieces first, then tell the story. Most "awesome moment" stories shouldn't take more than like 5 minutes to tell even with that needed backstory and if it does then it better be one hell of a story.

So I decided to go to The Known World, which is what they called Mystara in those days. So I tied an Pearl of Power to my Belt of Battle, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost an electrum, and in those days, electrum had pictures of elves on 'em. "Gimme five elves for a GP," you'd say. Now where were we... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an pearl on my belt, which was the style at the time. I didn't have any white pearls, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big black ones...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

is there a particular way you should read a normal d6 to sub it in as a Fate die? My book of Inverse World Fate finally arrived and I don't have the special stuff

Got some spare d6s and a Sharpie?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
There's also just fatigue with the "roll to perform action a hero should never be failing at, oops the thing that has a 1:20 chance of happening happened" anecdote formula. It'd be like if knock-knock jokes were the only type of jokes your friend told; you wouldn't care how valid his reason was, you'd just be exhausted.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

He's Brazilian, dude. They have lots of Nazi corpses and an innate ability to fashion anything into a gun over there.

Settle down

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

gradenko_2000 posted:

is there a particular way you should read a normal d6 to sub it in as a Fate die? My book of Inverse World Fate finally arrived and I don't have the special stuff
So Fate originally started as a hack of Fudge, which was kind of designed by committee on Usenet, hence although they settled on those weird dice, they also came up with several alternate methods for making a roll with close to the same probabilities:

A few Fate games also just adopted a d6-d6 thing, where you have a positive die and a negative die, and you roll them both and subtract the negative from the positive. The probabilities are a bit different, but it's fairly quick and easy. Of course, if Inverse World Fate uses dice tricks that specifically require the special dice to work, none of that will really help much.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Countblanc posted:

There's also just fatigue with the "roll to perform action a hero should never be failing at, oops the thing that has a 1:20 chance of happening happened" anecdote formula. It'd be like if knock-knock jokes were the only type of jokes your friend told; you wouldn't care how valid his reason was, you'd just be exhausted.

"Roll to do a mundane thing - UH OOOOOOOH!" is like two steps away maybe from quoting the same scene from the same Monty Pytheon movie for the third time.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Glazius posted:

Can't send Dreams over the internet, buddy.

Actually it works really well as a PbP game.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
So I played a D&D Adventurer’s League game at a con today and I have to congratulate WotC for taking the concept of “dinosaur racing” and finding a way to completely suck any fun out of it.

EDIT: this isn’t even an edition-specific complaint, that poo poo was just the most railroaded nonsense ever

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 27, 2017

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

occamsnailfile posted:

Honestly that Noelle Stevenson tweet above sounds less like something in an actual game and just the kind of joke she'd put into one of her comics--and I like her comics a lot. Her comics also involve a lot of adventure stuff and fighting of monsters and if I were sitting down at her table for D&D I would expect a generally light tone but still monsters, hidden temples, and old grudges. I would not expect a game trying sell itself as 'grown up' and I'd be okay with that.

The second one just sounds like a description of a stealth failure--you try to hide in the cupboard and fail with comedic description of failure. We don't know what the consequence or why the character was hiding because Twitter is a horrible medium. Like, I'm not getting the disgusted annoyance with it.

:same: I'm just reading these as jokes.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Aw, I missed XCOM chat. There was one point that got missed. On the higher difficulty levels, there are enough packs of enemies that it actually doesn't encourage you to use your most reliable options - because they are limited and will run out. You need to think before you move, take an acceptable risk with your first move(s) and be ready to cover up with a reliable contingency plan. poo poo gets scary when you've used up all your explosives and best powers and there are still aliens left on the map.

Anyway, for a tabletop rpg based on XCOM, I've got plans... The main plan being that the dudes you control in combat aren't your PCs. Your PCs are doing other poo poo (politics, science, exploration, infiltration, counter-infiltration, etc.)

The thing you guys are talking about with old XCOM and deciding what to salvage when poo poo goes wrong... I like that. I need to think about where that fits in to my plans.

Also, the increased abstraction of tabletop means it's easier to make mechanics for alien reinforcements without any of the line of sight bullshit. Some things are easier in tabletop and some things are harder.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The upgrade that makes alien pods lose an action if you discover them on your turn breaks the game massively , but removes the bullshit feel of pods.

It kind of feels like something you should have from the start, as it gives you a strong motivation to push forward rather than turtling and letting the enemy come to you.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I always thought the annoyance with "I rolled a 1 and my clothes fell off" jokes was a dislike of the "let the dice fall where they may, we must obey them" attitude in gaming more than anything else. I mean, beyond just finding gaming war stories tedious.

ProfessorCirno posted:

"Roll to do a mundane thing - UH OOOOOOOH!" is like two steps away maybe from quoting the same scene from the same Monty Pytheon movie for the third time.

Ironically joking about quoting Monty Python and the Holy Grail being a signifier for annoying nerddom in gaming has become a million times more common than anyone actually quoting the movie. Maybe it needs to be freshened up. Firefly?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Lightning Lord posted:

I always thought the annoyance with "I rolled a 1 and my clothes fell off" jokes was a dislike of the "let the dice fall where they may, we must obey them" attitude in gaming more than anything else. I mean, beyond just finding gaming war stories tedious.

Letting the dice fall where they may and obeying them is... the point of using dice though? Otherwise just get rid of the dice. I mean, I get that you probably mean something along the lines of "ignore a die roll if it ruins the fun", which is technically true buuuut:

If you need to -regularly- fudge rolls it's usually a symptom of an underlying problem. That's not to say "NEVER FUDGE" just that you should examine the reasons you can't "let the dice fall where they may" because there's probably an issue there to be solved.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Part of the issue might be that since 3e D&D, rolling a 1 on a d20 doesn't have greater negative consequences than rolling a 2 outside of combat, besides being a point less likely to succeed at something. But people feel compelled to make it worse because NAT 1!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Yeah that's not what I meant. I was talking about the "beep boop I am a neutral interpreter of the dice, which are the only aspect of RPGs that matter" attitude

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I wish more games had clearly-defined fail and success results the way moves do in PBtA games. So players can look at the possible outcomes of an action, weigh the risks against what they know the GM will do if the roll fails, and prioritize certain results if they don't get an excellent roll.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nuns with Guns posted:

I wish more games had clearly-defined fail and success results the way moves do in PBtA games. So players can look at the possible outcomes of an action, weigh the risks against what they know the GM will do if the roll fails, and prioritize certain results if they don't get an excellent roll.

Hard agree. Every roll should have clearly defined stakes.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lightning Lord posted:

Ironically joking about quoting Monty Python and the Holy Grail being a signifier for annoying nerddom in gaming has become a million times more common than anyone actually quoting the movie. Maybe it needs to be freshened up. Firefly?

Rick and Morty

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If it still needs to be sorta dated then Portal

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

If it still needs to be sorta dated then Portal

Always a reason to post this classic

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Countblanc posted:

Rick and Morty

I immediately felt the chill up my spine of "What if they make a Rick and Morty RPG?" but then I realized that's kinda Atomic Robo.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

E: whoops wrong thread to post this, my bad.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 28, 2017

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Lightning Lord posted:

at this point I tense up basically any time anyone references something I recognize

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

I immediately felt the chill up my spine of "What if they make a Rick and Morty RPG?" but then I realized that's kinda Atomic Robo.

You have to wait about 5-10 years until only die hard fans remain.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

In 5 years we'll look at Rick and Morty's szechuan sauce riots as something harmless and with the same fondness as bronies as the next fandom of subhumans is formed.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 28, 2017

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Plutonis posted:

In 5 years we'll look at Rick and Morty's szechuan sauce riots as something harmless and with the same fondness as bronies as the next fandom of subhumans is formed.

My best guess is the next horrible fandom will be based around a video game not aimed at adults, is harder than it should be, and people use it as a way of validating their insecurities. Anyone want to put in on this action?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Nobody remembers bronies with fondness.

Zoro posted:

My best guess is the next horrible fandom will be based around a video game not aimed at adults, is harder than it should be, and people use it as a way of validating their insecurities. Anyone want to put in on this action?

You're right, people who like Mario Maker are terrible :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zoro posted:

hm, not really

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Waffleman_ posted:

I think a Rick and Morty storygame a la fiasco is more doable than a full-on RPG.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

The Deleter posted:

Nobody remembers bronies with fondness.

You're right, people who like Mario Maker are terrible :v:

You joke, but I do know a person who was too into Mario maker.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Zoro posted:

You joke, but I do know a person who was too into Mario maker.

I will refrain from making a joke about Jeff Gerstmann and will instead say that at least there are worse obsessions to have.

Jimbozig posted:

I think a Rick and Morty storygame a la fiasco is more doable than a full-on RPG.

I think I'd play a Rick and Morty game as long as it didn't feature the characters Rick and Morty themselves, because it removes the focal point of the garbage idiots fixate on with that show and allows the design of the RPG to focus on the main theme, which is "super genius goes on space adventures with his family in order to avoid the fact that he's a shitbag that ruins everything he touches." You could run that premise in any system, but Fiasco sounds pretty suited for it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Someone who isn't me should make a Star Trek Adventures thread

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Blockhouse posted:

Someone who isn't me should make a Star Trek Adventures thread

Did the problems in the beta version get fixed? I remember hearing on here and irl that it was a poorly executed game and has mechanics that didn't really make sense in a Star Trek game.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Did the problems in the beta version get fixed? I remember hearing on here and irl that it was a poorly executed game and has mechanics that didn't really make sense in a Star Trek game.

Unironically would like to know the answer to this too.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

‘Vampires, Werewolves, and Mummies, Oh My’: White Wolf Publishing on Bringing the World of Darkness Back to Video Games

quote:

The World of Darkness (WoD) IP has a curious history in video games. After quickly garnering a cult following in the early 2000s with the Vampire: The Masquerade and Hunter: The Reckoningseries, the property was purchased by EVE Online developer CCP Games, and the company began work on an ambitious MMO.

lol

quote:

From the explorations of morality in Vampire: The Masquerade to the idea of balance in Mummy: The Resurrection, the World of Darkness is ripe with opportunities to engage with real-world issues. For the revitalisation of the IP, White Wolf decided to lean on this fact, rather than the brand recognition of Vampire: The Masquerade. 

looooooooooollllll

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Just bring back the loving troika devs christ. loving Paradox has a trillion bucks from mapgame dlc and they can't do that?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

We're not leaning on brand recognition! *Only makes games using the old World of Darkness games that everyone knows and not the current Chronicles of Darkness games that they're trying to sell right now*

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I think people recognise and like old vampire more but does anyone like the other old lines more than the new? Hunters being normalish humans rather than Proto-exalted guys with some magic benefactor, Changelings as survivors of evil fae realms instead of weird hippies, poo poo like that seems way stronger. Maybe Old Mage is more popular, but either line is impossible to gamify properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Waffleman_ posted:

We're not leaning on brand recognition! *Only makes games using the old World of Darkness games that everyone knows and not the current Chronicles of Darkness games that they're trying to sell right now*

Due to a long and confusing chain of licensing rights, nuWhite Wolf is currently relaunching the oWoD books and Onyx Path is still publishing the nWoD/CoD books. NuWhite Wolf are under Paradox, which is probably why those games are getting pushed into video games. I have no idea who controls the rights to nWoD video game stuff.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 30, 2017

• Locked thread