Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Do any of you have a Vizio TV connected to a BT speaker? How is it? What do you have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I figure this is probably the right crowd to ask about this... Can anyone recommend a home planetarium projector? Preferably something a step up from the 30$ pinhole projectors, something more like the Sega Homestar.

I feel like there should be some really great stuff out there in 2017, but I'm not really finding much in the way of innovation like other consumer products.

Furcifer
Apr 20, 2007
It's Furcifer, not Lucifer
Looking for travel pants recommendations for men that are comfortable for 20 hours in the plane, have security zipper'ed pockets, look nice enough to wear to a relatively nice restaurant for dinner.

My whole life I've been wearing jeans or business slacks, but today I stumbled upon, and was impressed with, the Lululemon ABC pants. Are there any other brand recommendations that are of better value? I have googled around, and Bluffworks comes up highly recommended. Unfortunately there aren't any retail locations to try them, and I'd like to find something by the end of the week.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

I figure this is probably the right crowd to ask about this... Can anyone recommend a home planetarium projector? Preferably something a step up from the 30$ pinhole projectors, something more like the Sega Homestar.

I feel like there should be some really great stuff out there in 2017, but I'm not really finding much in the way of innovation like other consumer products.

If you want accurate representation of stars/milky way/other I couldn't find anything myself and just bought a Sega homestar. I'd be interested in someone proving me wrong.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Furcifer posted:

Looking for travel pants recommendations for men that are comfortable for 20 hours in the plane, have security zipper'ed pockets, look nice enough to wear to a relatively nice restaurant for dinner.

Why not wear something on the plane and change once you land?

Furcifer
Apr 20, 2007
It's Furcifer, not Lucifer

Slimy Hog posted:

Why not wear something on the plane and change once you land?

Good question! That was my plan A before I knew travel pants existed before yesterday. I just want to have it all, and the zippered security pockets are a nice feature for when traveling.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Buffworks pants are nice but the zippers ruin them. Why yes, I do want to drag my hand over a zipper every time I reach into my pocket.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Pastry of the Year posted:

I've decided I want to dabble in listening to unusual things at night. I'm thinking (a) a police scanner and/or (b) a shortwave radio; I've always been fascinated by numbers stations (for example) but haven't heard anything other than recordings.

Any suggestions?

http://chill.shadow.systems/

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

This is really cool.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Pastry of the Year posted:

This is really cool.

There's also this, which in my experience is a little more focused on the radio than the music: http://youarelistening.to/newyork

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My window unit air conditioner just died and I need a new one. Needs to be good and have a fan setting, but I'm not exactly flush with cash right now so I need it to be affordable. Any recommendations?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

OSU_Matthew posted:

I don't know anything about these but your post made me end up buying this cheapo one
http://s.aliexpress.com/MFvmeInM

Kinda want to look into the sega too if it does anything amazing.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'm looking for a can opener that isn't a piece of poo poo. I don't need an electric one. Just a hand crank is fine but I've gone through all the grocery store ones either via them breaking or seizing up over time.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive

tangy yet delightful posted:

I'm looking for a can opener that isn't a piece of poo poo. I don't need an electric one. Just a hand crank is fine but I've gone through all the grocery store ones either via them breaking or seizing up over time.

Hey, don't have personal experience with these, but a lengthy article on can openers can be reassuring when shopping for a new one:
http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-can-opener/

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

tangy yet delightful posted:

I found the EZ-DUZ-IT in the SA Cooking Equipment thread and it's been super solid over the years. The OP in the thread says the Swingline version moved manufacturing to China and the quality went to poo poo.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Awesome thanks!

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Got a "new" car recently and learned why I stopped listening to the radio ages ago. Unfortunately all it has is a CD player and radio, so looking for suggestions for ways to hook my phone into it.

Right now I don't want to buy a new radio and, more importantly, don't feel like ripping apart my dash to install it. I know there's those FM radio adapter things so if anybody has some good experiences with those let me know. As far as I can find there's no cd equivalent to those cassette -> aux cord adapters.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
FM adapters are terrible. Almost every stock radio has a hidden input in the back intended for a cd changer, and you can get an adapter cable to get a true aux input for maybe :10bux:. You'll still need to open the dash or pay someone to do it, but a stock radio is a way smaller target for theft than even one of those $20 cheapo bluetooth-only din radios

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Looking for some good containers to portion out food for lunch / dinner. I used to use plastic ones from Amazon, but man when they get greasy, the are really hard to wash. Are there other alternatives, or should I stick with the plastic and throw them away when it gets too hard to wash?

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

obi_ant posted:

Looking for some good containers to portion out food for lunch / dinner. I used to use plastic ones from Amazon, but man when they get greasy, the are really hard to wash. Are there other alternatives, or should I stick with the plastic and throw them away when it gets too hard to wash?

What kind of soap are you using to wash them?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

obi_ant posted:

I switched over to glass containers for the same reasons and also because tomato sauce gives them a permanent reddish stain. If you stay with plastic, sometimes it takes a few cycles of dish soap+rinsing to get all the grease out. I used to soap+rinse those containers first, soap them again, and do the rest of the dishes and come back to the plastic containers for a final rinse.

Anyway, I switched to this 5 pack of Glass Meal Prep Containers. I don't really trust the lids to be microwave safe, but I use a damp paper towel on top to catch any splatter. The brand name ones (I think by Glasslock) have misleading titles like "6-piece set" for the same price, but they count the lids as separate pieces.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
My work backpack which I use to carry around my laptop and several tools and extra cables, cable tester, etc, is falling apart. I am beginning to shop for a replacement but don't want to break the bank too bad so my budget is probably under $100. Any good suggestions? My only requirements are basically a separate sleeve that can at the minimum fit a 15" laptop and hoping that it can survive daily fairly rough use.

I have a timbuk2 messenger that I really like and has really stood up to the test of time, but it's too small for my regular work carry. What I do really like about the timbuk2 messenger is the ballistic nylon they use for the fabric. If I could find something like that for material, it would be ideal.

couldcareless has a new favorite as of 04:58 on Oct 25, 2017

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Garrand posted:

Got a "new" car recently and learned why I stopped listening to the radio ages ago. Unfortunately all it has is a CD player and radio, so looking for suggestions for ways to hook my phone into it.

Right now I don't want to buy a new radio and, more importantly, don't feel like ripping apart my dash to install it. I know there's those FM radio adapter things so if anybody has some good experiences with those let me know. As far as I can find there's no cd equivalent to those cassette -> aux cord adapters.

Sentient Data posted:

FM adapters are terrible. Almost every stock radio has a hidden input in the back intended for a cd changer, and you can get an adapter cable to get a true aux input for maybe :10bux:. You'll still need to open the dash or pay someone to do it, but a stock radio is a way smaller target for theft than even one of those $20 cheapo bluetooth-only din radios

Can confirm what Sentient Data said. I used to gently caress around with an FM transmitter in my first car (95 Camry with aftermarket CD player) and when I went to a place (Circuit City!) to ask about a different radio, the guy actually just looked at mine and told me it had an aux thing in the back, I would just need a special cable that they didn't have. Surprised the gently caress out of me that this guy told me that instead of selling me a new radio, maybe he didn't work on commission. When I upgraded to an 06 Corolla it also had a CD changer aux port in the back. So I would just Google around to see if yours has something similar.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
You might also look into an FM modulator. Not to be confused with a transmitter, it plugs in line with the antenna cable and injects the signal directly into the stereo. Near CD quality (unless you're an audiophile :spergin: you won't be able to tell the difference) and no batteries or stronger signals to contend with.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Weird request, but I'm looking for a couch slipcover that will work with a chaise lounger.

I have this couch:

And the cats are deciding, several months in, that they now want to scratch it, despite having scratching posts and whatnot they're free to use.

But I can't actually find any couch slipcovers that include a longer or separate piece for the chaise lounge part. Closest I can find are a few (mostly on eBat that look pretty sub-par)( for L-shaped couches, like so:L
https://www.ebay.com/itm/L-Shape-St...738.m2548.l4275

Is that basically the best I can do? I'm just thinking if it's for an L-shaped sectional it might be too big and baggy, is all.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

lowcrabdiet posted:

Anyway, I switched to this 5 pack of Glass Meal Prep Containers. I don't really trust the lids to be microwave safe, but I use a damp paper towel on top to catch any splatter. The brand name ones (I think by Glasslock) have misleading titles like "6-piece set" for the same price, but they count the lids as separate pieces.

Thanks for the suggestion. I picked those up today. I'm weird that I don't like my food touching each other, but I'm sure I'll eventually get over it.

Also, this might not be the right place, but I'm wondering about power bricks. More specifically, the thingy that the wire goes into to charge phones and stuff like that. I have a few bricks laying around the house and I'm a bit confused as to which one charges my electronics "faster". For the brick I assume I should be looking at the total output, 2A, 1.67A and 1.25A; but I assume that this is also determined by my device's input.

So a 2A output from my brick wouldn't matter if my device can only accept 1.67A? Assuming that my brick can do 2A and my device can take 2A, then my unit would charge at 2A?

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

obi_ant posted:

Also, this might not be the right place, but I'm wondering about power bricks. More specifically, the thingy that the wire goes into to charge phones and stuff like that. I have a few bricks laying around the house and I'm a bit confused as to which one charges my electronics "faster". For the brick I assume I should be looking at the total output, 2A, 1.67A and 1.25A; but I assume that this is also determined by my device's input.

So a 2A output from my brick wouldn't matter if my device can only accept 1.67A? Assuming that my brick can do 2A and my device can take 2A, then my unit would charge at 2A?

You can use a charger with more Amps than the product specifies - it will only draw as much current as it “asks for”. Less Amps from the DC charger and the equipment can’t get all of the energy it needs, so it may not charge or even power on.

BUT - Volts must absolutely match. More or less Volts and there is potential to damage equipment.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

unbutthurtable posted:

There's also this, which in my experience is a little more focused on the radio than the music: http://youarelistening.to/newyork

If you like this sort of thing SomaFM has a lovely one with Apollo recordings: https://somafm.com/missioncontrol/

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I'm trying to find a good airtight container for storing bulk rice. The last one we bought on Amazon had a foam seal that cracked, costing us something like 20 pounds of rice. Can anyone suggest something?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
5 gallon bucket with Gamma seal lid if you're storing 20+ pounds.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
This is more of a service than a product, but does anybody have any experience with buying dental insurance individually? My insurance through my employer only covers crowns every five years and I'm looking for a supplement before I go broke. Looks like afac may have an okay plan.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

obi_ant posted:

Thanks for the suggestion. I picked those up today. I'm weird that I don't like my food touching each other, but I'm sure I'll eventually get over it.

Beej already answered this very well, but also keep in mind the phone will self regulate its charging cycle based on temperature, battery status, etc. Most phones can charge up to 2 amps at five volts (USB standard voltage), but they'll only take somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.7-1.1 amps on average, because the process is regulated by the phone to maximize battery longevity and prevent excessive thermal buildup. You still want to use the higher capacity charger, so it is available, but it won't always charge at that. Both the apple iPad charging brick and Samsung wall wart are rated for 2A output.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

NarwhalParty posted:

This is more of a service than a product, but does anybody have any experience with buying dental insurance individually? My insurance through my employer only covers crowns every five years and I'm looking for a supplement before I go broke. Looks like afac may have an okay plan.

This may be an option for you. When I didn’t have a job I got what was essentially one of those diners club cards. You pay maybe $100 or so and when you go into the dentist you get a discount on work done. I believe mine was around 50% off fillings and minor operations. Google dental discount cards as a start.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Talk to the dentist directly and say "hey, my insurance won't cover what I need. How about a 50% discount if I pay cash upfront?"

Instance companies usually only pay 30-40% of the listed bill, so he'll probably be thrilled

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

NarwhalParty posted:

That varies depending on where you are. I can tell you that where I am, unless you get great insurance through your work, you're better off just stuffing money in a sock every month and buying your own dental work. A lot of the private pay insurances don't even fully cover cleaning or checkup x-rays and that is bunk. Your dental office staff has to work with insurance providers constantly and they will definitely know which insurances, if any, are worth the monthly premium.

Sentient Data posted:

Talk to the dentist directly and say "hey, my insurance won't cover what I need. How about a 50% discount if I pay cash upfront?"

Instance companies usually only pay 30-40% of the listed bill, so he'll probably be thrilled

Technically illegal, but plenty of dentists will do it anyway.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Julet Esqu posted:

Technically illegal, but plenty of dentists will do it anyway.

Pretty much what that discount card I mentioned is since you have to pay at time of services provided. And it’s legal

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Somehow I don't own a cordless drill or screwdriver - I've gotten by with hand tools and a corded drill. What would be best in that category to cover a decent variety of projects? Maybe an impact driver with a good selection of bits?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Baby Proof posted:

Somehow I don't own a cordless drill or screwdriver - I've gotten by with hand tools and a corded drill. What would be best in that category to cover a decent variety of projects? Maybe an impact driver with a good selection of bits?

I am also looking for a small multipurpose drill to do small things around the house. Nothing too cheap that will break in a year, but I’m not a carpenter either.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
The tools thread has people ask these questions a lot. Read maybe the last 3 pages or so, I feel like it’s just gone through a round of recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Do any of you have an under sink or whole house water purifier recommendations?