Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

drunken officeparty posted:

Not to bring back the Tarantino train, but I just did rewatch Hateful and I had forgotten how much the part where he narrates and goes "and thats why I named this chapter Who Poisoned The Coffee" makes me want to kick him in the mouth until he dies.

I've never seen Hateful Eight, but your comment made me bust up laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

eighty-four merc posted:

is this on streaming?

It doesn't seem to be, unfortunately :( I didn't even realise this was the streaming thread tbh, I just assumed it was the general recommendations thread, my bad v :shobon: v

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I’ve turned off 2 movies ever, Dungeons and Dragons the one with a Marlon brother and Hateful 8, and I usually love QT stuff

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm just about to to finish up Mindhunter, and I'm not even sure how I would describe this show stylistically. It doesn't feel real at all, but I mean that as a compliment. The whole thing just feels weird as gently caress like some middle ground between David fincher, David lynch and a true crime doc. It's really great though.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I’ve heard a lot of hate for Hateful 8, but I’ve not heard anyone give an explanation for it. Why do you all dislike it so much?

I loved it, but I’ve always liked bottle episodes of tv shows, so a bottle episode on steroids with Walton Goggins chewing scenery makes me an easy mark.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Asnorban posted:

I’ve heard a lot of hate for Hateful 8, but I’ve not heard anyone give an explanation for it. Why do you all dislike it so much?

I loved it, but I’ve always liked bottle episodes of tv shows, so a bottle episode on steroids with Walton Goggins chewing scenery makes me an easy mark.

Yeah, I don't get it. I thought it was great.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
I loved the Hateful Eight, but I can see why people wouldn't like it. It is the epitome of a slow, slow burn. I just enjoyed it for what it was. And I really enjoyed every single actor that was in it, particularly Walton Goggins and Kurt Russell.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
I warmed up to H8 after initially disliking it because I felt like the dialogue wasn't as good as it could be. I also think that it's probably not a movie that you should watch on, like, a 20 inch screen. The payoff and the realization that this is Tarantino at his most indulgent does make it all worth it though.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The rapey gay blowjob scene was a little uhh idk. I was watching it with a Muslim girl I was about to hook up with and wasn’t sure how that fell on her sensibility scale so it was awkward at the time. I loving love Kurt Russell though so I’m gonna give it another shot.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm almost done with season 2 of Stranger things, and it's really not that great. It's like they asked themselves, "You know all that stuff that made the first season so great? Yeah, let's get rid of all of that."

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Nihonniboku posted:

I'm almost done with season 2 of Stranger things, and it's really not that great. It's like they asked themselves, "You know all that stuff that made the first season so great? Yeah, let's get rid of all of that."

I'm almost done with it and while I think it's not as good as the first season, it's still pretty good. They just went from subtle Easter eggs to "HEY GUYS REMEMBER LAST SEASON HOW ELEVEN LIKED EGGOS WELL NOW THEY'RE IN EVERY SCENE".

Also, minor spoiler, the Demogorgon dogs are pretty much the split head dogs from Silent Hill. Which is fine, Duffer Brothers are openly inspired by the game (upside down world) so it remains a better Silent Hill movie than any of the Silent Hill movies.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Asnorban posted:

Most complaints could be solved with a 90 minute running time.

To be honest I don't mind a 3 hour QT movie. It is just the one thing you expect to carry a QT movie about people trapped in one place is the dialogue. In this case dialogue doesn't come close to Inglourious Basterds or even Django Unchained. It might be the worst dialogue of any QT movie (or maybe after watching his movies for 20+ years it is starting to feel flat). Also I could care less for the so-called mystery or the plot.

There are things I really enjoyed about this movie, but for me it is the QT movie I have zero desire to re-watch.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Nihonniboku posted:

What do you mean? There was plenty of Steve in season 2.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Finally got around to season one of The Good Place. Solid comedy, although I'm hoping it keeps up the quality in Season 2.

The twist was semi-expected, but they did a decent job of keeping you guessing. In retrospect, they set up Chidi to seem like more and more of a jerk in the flashbacks although, I only realized that in retrospect. It was kinda starting to drag when the "judge" showed, but man Ted Danson's laugh when he revealed himself was such a great moment.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LogisticEarth posted:

Finally got around to season one of The Good Place. Solid comedy, although I'm hoping it keeps up the quality in Season 2.

The twist was semi-expected, but they did a decent job of keeping you guessing. In retrospect, they set up Chidi to seem like more and more of a jerk in the flashbacks although, I only realized that in retrospect. It was kinda starting to drag when the "judge" showed, but man Ted Danson's laugh when he revealed himself was such a great moment.

The quality improves sharply in s2. It's a Parks and Rec level jump in quality.

Also, good to know that I should skip Stranger Things s2, because Steve was the loving worst for 90% of s1 and that tiny little bit of decency he shows is not enough to make me want to look at that hellfucker anymore.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

nate fisher posted:

Most complaints could be solved with a 90 minute running time.

To be honest I don't mind a 3 hour QT movie. It is just the one thing you expect to carry a QT movie about people trapped in one place is the dialogue. In this case dialogue doesn't come close to Inglourious Basterds or even Django Unchained. It might be the worst dialogue of any QT movie (or maybe after watching his movies for 20+ years it is starting to feel flat). Also I could care less for the so-called mystery or the plot.

There are things I really enjoyed about this movie, but for me it is the QT movie I have zero desire to re-watch.

Yup, :agreed: here. That's what did it for me. I went into it fully ready for 3 hours of QT conversation and was still let down. It really is his weakest script.

e: Creep 2 is out VOD and it is loving fantastic so rewatch Creep on Netflix and rent 2 (or wait a few months, it's a Netflix production so I assume it's gonna be on streaming pretty soon)

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I remember Hateful Eight going by pretty quickly and also losing my poo poo when that coffee stuff came up, love that narration.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The quality improves sharply in s2. It's a Parks and Rec level jump in quality.

Also, good to know that I should skip Stranger Things s2, because Steve was the loving worst for 90% of s1 and that tiny little bit of decency he shows is not enough to make me want to look at that hellfucker anymore.

Stranger Things s2 is very good, it just doesn't rise to the brilliance of the first one. Steve rules, I guess you just hate a good redemption arc. There are tonal issues, especially in the first episode where the Duffers go overboard with about 2 dozen period musical touchstones, but it falls into a groove about midway. The kids are all growing up to be great actors, and the new addition to the gang is a quality actor too. It's just a less compelling story overall, which is typical of a sophomore effort anyway.

The only part of the series I really disliked was the P.I./journalist who the older siblings approach with the tape recording of Paul Reiser's threats. He was a bit too zany of a character for the show, his whole yenta bit was misbegotten, and I frankly thought he was poorly acted. The budding romance could have taken place more organically than how it was handled in this storyline.

Also I could have done without Camaro Mullet, but the one scene where he seduces Mike's mom to get the goods on MadMax was gold.

The big bad was definitely reminiscent of Amygdala, I was kind of expecting him to rip his arms of to bludgeon or puke up some toxic bile

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 28, 2017

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Medullah posted:

They just went from subtle Easter eggs to "HEY GUYS REMEMBER LAST SEASON HOW ELEVEN LIKED EGGOS WELL NOW THEY'RE IN EVERY SCENE".

I put it down halfway into the first episode because it was really starting to feel like a buzzfeed article about, "remember Oingo Boingo and video arcades." I'll pick it up again eventually, but right now it feels a little too inorganic, like a consumer product I'm instructed by the media to enjoy.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I put it down halfway into the first episode because it was really starting to feel like a buzzfeed article about, "remember Oingo Boingo and video arcades." I'll pick it up again eventually, but right now it feels a little too inorganic, like a consumer product I'm instructed by the media to enjoy.

Yea, there are definitely a lot of winks and nods to the audience to criticisms from the first season.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

A MIRACLE posted:

The rapey gay blowjob scene was a little uhh idk. I was watching it with a Muslim girl I was about to hook up with and wasn’t sure how that fell on her sensibility scale so it was awkward at the time. I loving love Kurt Russell though so I’m gonna give it another shot.

Well did you seal the deal or??????

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Yes but her work visa expired and she had to move back to Malaysia

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Filthy Hans posted:

Steve rules, I guess you just hate a good redemption arc.

I like redemption arcs. They just have to be arcs. Steve's "redemption arc" in s1 was being a complete hellfucker for 99% of the series, then having a change of heart at the very last moment and then being treated by the narrative as a hero for it. It felt incredibly unearned.

It's a shame, because the actor plays a loving great jackass, and I'd honestly be happier with the end result if they'd leaned into that a little more instead of seemingly not realizing how awful he was.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I’ve only seen the first episode and it was a struggle with how it was both incredibly offputting because of how “HEY THIS IS WHAT PEOPLE LIKED” it was and how much I liked what was actually happening.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Dudes just turn your brain off for Stranger Things, it’s supposed to be schlocky. I say that not having started S2 yet

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The worst thing I remember Steve doing in S1 was breaking a stalker's camera.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can't say I liked the first season that much, but I'll probably give the second a shot at some point. It wasn't terrible but I feel like ST isn't 1/10th as good as people make it out to be.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I started skipping a lot of scenes in Stranger Things. Probably won't watch S3.

LogisticEarth posted:

I was only half-watching so the reveal hit me like a ton of bricks. And Chidi's set-up was completely masked by the usual sitcom trope of 'high-class buffoon.' Such a good show

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm the opposite and think S2 of The Good Place is a bit of a letdown so far. The first season had so many good character introductions, like the woman in the Medium Place. Now it's just played for laughs.

However, this may be a symptom of watching the first season in two binge sessions with the GF, but the second season week-by-week as it's aired.

It's still a good show, mind you, and I'm glad for its existence. And also why didn't S02E07 air on the 26th?

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 29, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

It's still a good show, mind you, and I'm glad for its existence. And also why didn't S02E07 air on the 26th?

S02E07 is next week. The premiere was technically the first two episodes.

Also, while I agree that more stuff is just being played for laughs instead of going for legit emotion, the jokes are a lot funnier, and the character bits that do remain are awesome.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Is that streaming anywhere

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

I bounced off of Mindhunter after two episodes because all of the dialogue felt uncomfortably expository to such a degree that it was distracting. Does that change or at least eventually settle down? The Kemper actor seemed good, and I've always wanted to see him represented in film but it just felt boring in its predictability (being familiar with the real-life subject matter). The style is cool but the narrative feels weirdly rushed

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

A MIRACLE posted:

S1's on Netflix.

S2's an Amazon '$20 SD Season Pass' thing

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Accretionist posted:

S1's on Netflix.

S2's an Amazon '$20 SD Season Pass' thing

Cool I’ve seen 1 just curious if Hulu picked it up or something

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

doctorthefonz posted:

I bounced off of Mindhunter after two episodes because all of the dialogue felt uncomfortably expository to such a degree that it was distracting. Does that change or at least eventually settle down? The Kemper actor seemed good, and I've always wanted to see him represented in film but it just felt boring in its predictability (being familiar with the real-life subject matter). The style is cool but the narrative feels weirdly rushed

Yeah it definitely has setupitis. I think it gets less expository as it goes along but it's always a little expository because it has to explain a lot of legal/psych concepts.

The strength of the show isn't in its murder mystery plots, it's in characterization. And where it diverges from the true story I think is some of its best stuff.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Oct 29, 2017

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Lycus posted:

The worst thing I remember Steve doing in S1 was breaking a stalker's camera.

He also very publicly slut-shamed Mike's older sister

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Had my intro to Stranger Things with the first three episodes of the second season and, yeah, I think I'm good. Not very strange, much less stranger, and, also, not really a lot of things.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Why would you start watching a show in the second season when the first season is also available in the exact same location

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Papa John Misty posted:

Why would you start watching a show in the second season when the first season is also available in the exact same location

Because it's just a TV show and that's what my brother wanted to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

A MIRACLE posted:

Season 2 of The Good Place is on Hulu.

Stranger Things is fun and pretty good but the amount of people on my Facebook feed who had already binged the entire second season the afternoon after it came out makes me question humanity.

Drunk Tomato fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 29, 2017