Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
You cannot make something 'idiot proof'. Idiots are very resourceful creatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

BTW: not only did they not show multiplayer in the keynote demo, but it was also designed so that nearly no physics whatsoever affected the game. The very few times they could have affected it badly, they actually did (the speedbike - Nox I think? - bouncing right into the air).

So they removed the three things they can't get right since five years: multiplayer, physics, gamedesign/mechanics, and simply reduced it to showing of visual tech (which sometimes looked even impressive).

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CIG have modified the design to keep it in line with their overall "Which end is the front?" philosophy.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Dooguk posted:

You cannot make something 'idiot proof'. Idiots are very resourceful creatures.

Rick Cook posted:

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

This is good, right?

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...E8C&sh=5525c255

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Don't forget, in order to see that much fidelity, you are going to need an extra special Intel fairydust SSD.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

tuo posted:

I just skimmed the SC reddit, and I'd say funding for 2018 is secured....god those idiots....

I dunno, if the funding tracker is right then funding has just about reached parity for October alone, every other month apart from this has been far below last year's take. They must still be losing money hand over fist right now.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

drat, that's the real deal right there. Kind of legally weird that you have to be an investor to see what they're claiming qualifies them for a tax credit- presumably you should just need to be a taxpayer, since it's literally your money being given to them at that point? Oh well, laws.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

G0RF posted:

“We start with a verb - ‘Eh?’”

I think we’re all starting with that at this point.

So they are Canadian Chinese buying up Toronto?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

BTW, did anyone else notice that they insisted on calling their engine cryengine, and not lumberyard? I haven't watched all of the seven hours, mind you, but I watched some of the tech stuff and they always referred to either "their" engine or cryengine, never Lumberyard. Amazon honeymoon failed?

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

Sarsapariller posted:

drat, that's the real deal right there. Kind of legally weird that you have to be an investor to see what they're claiming qualifies them for a tax credit- presumably you should just need to be a taxpayer, since it's literally your money being given to them at that point? Oh well, laws.

The response we got was just the standard delay tactic designed to dissuade you of pursuing it further. Juicy is prepared to take it further. I will contribute as well.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

tuo posted:

BTW, did anyone else notice that they insisted on calling their engine cryengine, and not lumberyard? I haven't watched all of the seven hours, mind you, but I watched some of the tech stuff and they always referred to either "their" engine or cryengine, never Lumberyard. Amazon honeymoon failed?

Maybe someone from Amazon finally saw their "game" and said "Yeah, we're gonna need you to stop mentioning us in connection with this."

Corn Nuts
Jul 16, 2003

Pillbug
Some of that looked pretty cool, but no way that wasn't 100% scripted. You have to be incredibly dumb to pay a single more dollar, before getting a playable demo of this in your hands.

I'm so happy that the dreams will go on for probably a bit longer. The longer this goes on, the more spectacular the crash.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

There's some fairly incorrect/misleading info in there. The only real definitive angle would be if "Squadron 42" is the qualifying game and they are claiming tax credits for expenses relating to "Star Citizen". While the numbers suggest to me that this has happened to some degree, there's no way to prove it.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
The transition from space to... space?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGcG0g7GsOI&t=3254s

So, Quantum jump hidden-loading screen to planet, then a mini quantum jump hidden-loading screen to a cluster of satellites ("low orbit gateway"), then fly down to the surface?

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

I still subscribe because the puzzlebox tells me to.

Star Citizen.... you're playing right now.

Quavers posted:

The transition from space to... space?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGcG0g7GsOI&t=3254s

So, Quantum jump hidden-loading screen to planet, then a mini quantum jump hidden-loading screen to a cluster of satellites ("low orbit gateway"), then fly down to the surface?
Everything is streaming in, so no hidden loading as u suggest.

ahmini
May 5, 2009
Really Crobbler had no choice but to repeat Gamescom 2016 and contract the demo out to a third party, all the rest of his devs are crunching on 0.033.0, which is still months away from even an alpha-quality release depending on how much they want to shovel poo poo into the wider, non-avocado backers' laps in the name of progress.

As I said in my July blog a post a year or so ago, it's piss easy to create a tech demo if you're unencumbered with requirements like, "make an actual game", or "must be production quality". Demos are easy and good looking stuff can be knocked up in weeks with a few competent level editors and artists. The problem as always is that expectations have been raised and will no doubt be dashed once more. At least Chris was smart enough not to post any kind of schedule this time.

Also still no sign of SQ42, not even the tiniest cut scene. Odd for a game that was supposedly almost ready to be demoed at last years Citizencon were it not for Chris' perfectionism in the face of a few bugs (well, that's the backers' story).

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Does anyone have handy links to the various videos where their programming team has said extra dumb stuff, like something about just starting to use branches or talking about a new fancy thing called "object oriented programming?" (lol)

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Star Citizen: How Sunk can Sunk Cost Get

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

ahmini posted:

Also still no sign of SQ42, not even the tiniest cut scene. Odd for a game that was supposedly almost ready to be demoed at last years Citizencon were it not for Chris' perfectionism in the face of a few bugs (well, that's the backers' story).

they're still working on the road map for the road map for sq42

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

ahmini posted:

crobbers already said no sq42 at citizen con, but that they will show new stuff in december

i don't think he specified december of this year though

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

AlternateAccount posted:

Sorry sorry sorry.

But seriously, I think 2-3 people could come up with 80% of what they showed today in a matter of days with only moderately compromised "fidelity."

Don't be sorry. Your comment was spot on! It does sound dark and odd, but it is obviously in response to something more dark and more odd. To those that don't fully speak idiot your appraisal was as effective a translation of the show as could ever be offered.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Over 1500 posts??? Holy cow. I hope Star Citizen came out and it’s great!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

That was the most boring ... thing, in the history of boring things

I couldn't even laugh it was just so boring.

And Chris was basically totally incomprehensible most of the time because the mic sucked and he had half a pound of coke lodged down his throat

Almost like it i CALLED IT

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Welp, I just bought my Pioneer

Now I just have to wait until they implement planetary landings, landing on player-controlled ships, multicrew, mineral surveys, land claims, base building, mining, refining, and trading, and I'll be able to use it the way it was advertised

It's probably the best investment I've ever made

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Daztek posted:

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/59654/intel-launches-next-gen-optane-ssd-900p/index.html

Intel has teamed up with RSI for the 900P launch. When you purchase an Intel Optane 900P Series SSD you will receive a free license for Star Citizen.

Also included with the bundle is an exclusive digital Star Citizen spaceship called the "Sabre Raven".

The "Saber Raven" pictured above is exclusive for Optane SSD 900P owners.

Hahaha! :lol:

Buy it!! Please!!

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I'm floored that citizens managed to be even more credulous than I thought. I know that makes me the idiot for thinking they would have learned anything in the past few years, but I still can't believe it.

By the way, did we ever find out who made CIG's demo vids for this event? There were a bunch of leaks about new contractors working on them but I don't recall a reveal of the company name.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
CIG has embraced the AAA developer/publisher "show a pre-rendered demo" and finally done what they wanted to do all along-- killed the thread. I'll bet the starcitizen subreddit that's usually all "it's great that they're doing this live and not prerendering stuff" didn't notice or care, either, because "things that publishers do that are horrible" are only horrible if it's not CIG doing it.

3.0 won't hit non-avocados until 2018 and everyone who would complain has been quieted down with SSDs* for at least another couple months so wake me up when something interesting happens I guess

*In before "Evocati with low framerates are only happening because their SSDs aren't good enough"

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Daztek posted:

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/59654/intel-launches-next-gen-optane-ssd-900p/index.html

Intel has teamed up with RSI for the 900P launch. When you purchase an Intel Optane 900P Series SSD you will receive a free license for Star Citizen.

Also included with the bundle is an exclusive digital Star Citizen spaceship called the "Sabre Raven".

The "Saber Raven" pictured above is exclusive for Optane SSD 900P owners.

It's funny that those kinds of claims can get a game pulled from steam almost immediately, if they are found to be false

I'm a little surprised Intel went with that considering 90% of the text is complete and utter bullshit and not actually possible

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

When the whole family comes together to watch CitizenCon only to find out that they're shilling for Intel now

holy poo poo :five:

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

What's perhaps most shocking is that you all still don't realize how stupid and gullible their core whale backers are, and how willing they are and will continue to be to fund "the dream".

Every time Derek says "this is it, it's over" is like a guarantee they have at least another year bought and paid for by the most desperate group of human beings imaginable.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/924048575893557248

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

D1E posted:

What's perhaps most shocking is that you all still don't realize how stupid and gullible their core whale backers are, and how willing they are and will continue to be to fund "the dream".

Every time Derek says "this is it, it's over" is like a guarantee they have at least another year bought and paid for by the most desperate group of human beings imaginable.

The backers being dumb doesn't surprise me, CIG putting in enough effort to prerender something instead of the usual stumbling through buggy gameplay live does.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
350 days until Citizen Con.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

When the whole family comes together to watch CitizenCon only to find out that they're shilling for Intel now

Whoa!

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

BigMouthSingers posted:

Everything is streaming in, so no hidden loading as u suggest.

:eyepop:

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

ComfyPants posted:

This is good, right?

.l..

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

oh my god.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/280gb-intel-optane-900p-aic-ssd-hhhl-pcie-30-x4-nvme-3d-xpoint-2400mb-s-read-2000mb-s-write

read this for ultimate hilarity.

quote:

*Star Citizen PC Game not included, available separately.

does this count as false advertisement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

AP posted:

350 days until Citizen Con.

Unless another movie that could postpone it.