Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Interesting question: Will the Independence parties participate in the December 21st election?

If they do they implicitly accept Madrid's/Rajoy's authority, if they don't they lose all their power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The process of charging them with the Spanish equivalent of treason is already underway so no that's no longer an option for them. This is the hill they die on.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

The process of charging them with the Spanish equivalent of treason is already underway so no that's no longer an option for them. This is the hill they die on.

It's treason then?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
If Catalonia declared independence, why would they obey Spain's call for elections?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

They have no reason anymore, that's what I'm telling GC.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

GaussianCopula posted:

Interesting question: Will the Independence parties participate in the December 21st election?

If they do they implicitly accept Madrid's/Rajoy's authority, if they don't they lose all their power.

They can still schedule the first official elections of the independent nation of Catalunya for December 21st. Genius!

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Did they take any administrativ actions?

It seems to me like they voted for independence and waited for Madrid to react, without any plans on what to do as "Catalan Republic".

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Their best bet is passive resistance, rally the mob with human shields chains to defend the government buildings when the police inevitably comes and hope that violence breaks out without triggering it first, cry "Repression!" and hope for international sympathy. Worked well enough the first time.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

BabyFur Denny posted:

They can still schedule the first official elections of the independent nation of Catalunya for December 21st. Genius!

That would nicely continue this state of Schrodinger's independence

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Wait, I thought Rajoy was also stripping Catalonia of its sovereignty, so why is he scheduling new elections for their parliament? What's he actually changing in legal terms?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rajoy just announced that he's replacing Catalonia's chief of police which uh, doesn't exactly inspire confidence for me.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Wait, I thought Rajoy was also stripping Catalonia of its sovereignty, so why is he scheduling new elections for their parliament? What's he actually changing in legal terms?

The idea is that he's stripping Catalonia of sovereignty until new elections can be held.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

The idea is that he's stripping Catalonia of sovereignty until new elections can be held.

Ah, I see.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

BabyFur Denny posted:

It's a pity La Vanguardia didn't use a picture of Rajoy looking to his right because it would have been the perfect image.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 27, 2017

sertalman
Apr 4, 2010
Elections on December 21st is kind of unexpected, since Rajoy was getting pressure from his own party to push the date back as far as possible, and could do so for 6 months per the agreement with PSOE.

MiddleOne posted:

Rajoy just announced that he's replacing Catalonia's chief of police which uh, doesn't exactly inspire confidence for me.

Trapero is being investigated under sedition charges for not following orders, so no surprises there.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

sertalman posted:

Elections on December 21st is kind of unexpected, since Rajoy was getting pressure from his own party to push the date back as far as possible, and could do so for 6 months per the agreement with PSOE.

Trapero is being investigated under sedition charges for not following orders, so no surprises there.

I thought elections would be on february, at the very least, surprising. On the other hand, replacing the Mossos chief was a pretty obvious move, what I'm unsure is what it will really achieve. At least, the government has renounced to seize control of catalan public television.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

MiddleOne posted:

Does that prevent them from holding an elected office?

It would be very hilarious to see government run from inside the prison.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

adhuin posted:

Does that prevent them from holding an elected office?

It would be very hilarious to see government run from inside the prison.

Crushing the aspirations of a new nation is hilarious. As an Englishman I can appreciate this humour.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m just an American outsider so I have no idea on the nuances and intricacies of this but this last bit is something I don’t really understand. Spain is a country, and Catalonia is an “autonomous region.” But like… Catalonia is a part of Spain, is it not? Why doesn’t it make sense that the top level of government come from Madrid, where I understand is where the seat of power of Spain the country is?

To put it into perspective, we have 50 states that kinda do their own thing and each of these states has their own army (the individual state national guards) but at the end of the day, Arizona is America, but California is also America and so on and so on. Foreign countries shouldn’t have to deal with 50 different state governments, so they deal with Washington DC. If we authorized a war, each of those state national guards would be commanded by generals in Washington.

Help me out here?
You read "Everything is decided from the capital" and thought that was in any way equivalent to how government work in the US? What the officer corps wants is the equivalent of the abolition of all states in the US, with all authority ceded to the House of Representatives and the office of the president. Or did you think they meant only in terms of the military?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

A better question for Americans to ask is "why isn't Spain just a Republic?"

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You read "Everything is decided from the capital" and thought that was in any way equivalent to how government work in the US? What the officer corps wants is the equivalent of the abolition of all states in the US, with all authority ceded to the House of Representatives and the office of the president. Or did you think they meant only in terms of the military?

The quote I quoted was talking about the military and I specifically mentioned the national guard(s) and how in times of war they’d be commanded by generals in Washington. So you tell me what you thought I meant it in terms of.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

The quote I quoted was talking about the military and I specifically mentioned the national guard(s) and how in times of war they’d be commanded by generals in Washington. So you tell me what you thought I meant it in terms of.
I think the US may be the odd one out, having state-armies and not just a country wide army. State-police, sure, but which other countries state/province-armies?

edit: Most national guards seem to be limited in time, though some still exist https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Guard

rgocs fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 27, 2017

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Pere Soler , director of Mossos , has stepped down from its position.Basically he obeyed spanish orders.

Grapplejack posted:

A better question for Americans to ask is "why isn't Spain just a Republic?"

Because Franco said no.And when the army is filled with fascisst with tanks and you don't have an army you take what you can get.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Can anybody tell me what this is?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Man, France really should conquer Llivia right now, that's some bullshit right there.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Pissflaps posted:

A lovely triangle

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

It's a pity La Vanguardia didn't use a picture of Rajoy looking to his right because it would have been the perfect image.

:effort:

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

With all the huff huff some people are arguing the parlament didn't vote on the actual declaration of independence but an preamble that doesn't include the proper declaration.
This is more a resolution to make the gov apply the transition law that didn't have any kind of normative effect.Basically this is all performative poo poo that is not legally binding by the catalonian legality, and done that way to avoid running afoul of the spanish legality.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 28, 2017

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

hump day bitches! posted:

With all the huff huff some people are arguing the parlament didn't vote on the actual declaration of independence but an preamble that doesn't include the proper declaration.
This is more a resolution to make the gov apply the transition law that didn't have any kind of normative law.Basically this is all performative poo poo that is not legally binding by the catalonian legality, and done that way to avoid running afoul of the spanish legality.

A kind of diplomatic last ditch effort to salvage a peaceful resolution, but it just begs the question of why they voted in secret if this was in essence a resolution of protest?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I don't see how the EU isn't hosed now. No matter which way they side, unless they persuade everyone to reset back three months or something, they have to stand to one side either for separatism or anti-democracy.

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 28, 2017

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

PhilippAchtel posted:

A kind of diplomatic last ditch effort to salvage a peaceful resolution, but it just begs the question of why they voted in secret if this was in essence a resolution of protest?

" you can't say i voted , and whatever the whole thing was fake"

They declared the independence with a non binding resolution.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 28, 2017

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I don't see how the EU isn't hosed now. No matter which way they side, unless they persuade everyone to reset back three months or something, they have to stand to one side either for separatism or anti-democracy.

Nobody's feeling as conflicted about this as you think they are. Everyone outside of Spain is on Spain's side.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Pissflaps posted:

catalonia bro...

I plan to foem the Donald Trump Brigade when we take the fight to spain in Catalonia.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah, I figured that was how you read it, I just don't get why you assumed that the question was about military matters just because they asked military officers.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Pissflaps posted:

A mess

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Nope, they can entirely do the "this is an internal matter" thing because the EU isn't even competent for handling these kinds of matters domestically. (This is working as intended because the Member States are always afraid of giving the EU too much power, lest it do something actually impactful.)

The other Member States will have to choose a side to sympathize with but I guess it's only natural that countries would support the country that doesn't want to be split up.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

LeoMarr posted:

catalonia bro...

I plan to foem the Donald Trump Brigade when we take the fight to spain in Catalonia.

Ok, now I'm pro-independence

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Whoever told the Catalans that the EU or its members are willing, capable or even favorable to support their independence was a huge loving liar. It's delusional and gives me the worst Brexit flashbacks.

The member states settled on this matter over a month ago when they wished Spain good luck dealing with this internal crisis. This is not going to change. Even if Rajoy starts smashing heads, the other states will just be criticizing the police brutality and urge both sides to moderation.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Catalonia's malaise is that it is too far away from Russia to become an Oblast. Otherwise, thousands of "volunteers" would have landed at Barcelona's beach-side night clubs overnight and helped establish the people's republic of Kataloniya

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Apparently this tweet

https://twitter.com/laSextaTV/status/923962711205171201

Is a part of Catalonia UDIing itself out of Catalonia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

Catalonia's malaise is that it is too far away from Russia to become an Oblast. Otherwise, thousands of "volunteers" would have landed at Barcelona's beach-side night clubs overnight and helped establish the people's republic of Kataloniya

I wonder whether this airline

offers direct flights to Spain.