Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

MechaX posted:

Man, gently caress Mastema. That dude is a jerk even for a dem- I mean especially for an angel.

He was one of my favorite parts of IV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

dont you go talking poo poo about by glorious black winged raven boy

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I read through Peace Dinner's Let's Play of the original Devil Summoner the other day (and I recommend checking it out, as he doesn't just cover the game, but also talks about various merchandise and the TV drama it spawned).

I went to look up footage of it on YouTube, but I couldn't find any, save for a couple of clips from the PSP version. That prompted me to try and record footage of it myself. It turned out to be a lot harder than I expected, but managed to put together a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8egmyzc43o

I can't read Japanese (if you know the language, you might noticed that I tried typing in my name in katakana), but Peace Dinner's LP helped as a guide in figuring out where to go. That being said, I know I probably skipped over some key lines while trying to touch on all the early story beats while still keeping the video within YouTube's 15 minute time limit.

If anyone's curious about trying the game, I can detail how I got it set up.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mastema was really cool in Strange Journey. He did nothing but help you and the game is all about fighting a bunch of preachy Chaos assholes.

I'm aware there is some stuff in the Chaos Route but I didn't see that so it didn't really effect my playthrough. In the regular game, Mastema is of great assistant every time he shows up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

NikkolasKing posted:

Mastema was really cool in Strange Journey. He did nothing but help you and the game is all about fighting a bunch of preachy Chaos assholes.

I'm aware there is some stuff in the Chaos Route but I didn't see that so it didn't really effect my playthrough. In the regular game, Mastema is of great assistant every time he shows up.

Mastema is also very helpful in SMT IV.

I love when he pretends to be a generic rear end in a top hat Demon and what seems to be a boss fight starts. He starts giving his pre boss fight speech, then says more or less. "Nah I am just loving with you" and the boss fight stops and he helps you out.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Chaos route final boss Mastama is a cackling super villain and such an about face from his previous personalty that I think he might just be putting it on so you don't have to feel bad about fighting him.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He is always portrayed as sinister, the only difference is on law side he has no reason to have animosity for you because you do what he wants. In the other two routes he shows his true colors like every reason based enemy.

He's actually a cool dude in SMTIV, weirdly enough.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
He doesn't show his true colours in the Neutral route either. He's just 'welp, poo poo' s hosed. I'm out.' in there.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I don't remember his motivations for SMT4 and its DLC but he was genuinely doing good stuff, or at least helpful to you/humanity. It's weird.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Pureauthor posted:

He doesn't show his true colours in the Neutral route either. He's just 'welp, poo poo' s hosed. I'm out.' in there.

He explicitly opts to not fight you because your lifespan is naturally more limited than his is. He choose to not fight a battle that he's more likely to lose by tackling head on.

He's a schemer and a manipulator, so he's not an idiot. Mostly.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

HGH posted:

I don't remember his motivations for SMT4 and its DLC but he was genuinely doing good stuff, or at least helpful to you/humanity. It's weird.

his motivation was 'the archangels are loving stupid' and what more do you need?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
When the Switch was first announced, one of the games in the announcement trailer was something vaguely called "SMT 25th" or something like that. Did that end up becoming SMTV or are we going to get two separate SMTs on the Switch? I have to assume they're the same game, but it'd be neat if they weren't and we got a remake of the original or something or a tile based explorer.

My SMT wishlist is still Devil Survivor 3 and #FE2. I was talking to my buddies last night about these games and it finally clicked that the reason why I liked #FE so much was because it basically felt like a Persona game while mostly playing like a regular SMT. Persona is great and all, but I vastly prefer the more traditional RPG approach of the SMT main series. The calendar setup in Persona is fairly restrictive and is basically its own game that you have to deal with on top of the dungeon crawling and noodle shop visits. #FE dropped that and let you do everything in the game and do it at your own pace and as a result the whole experience was much more relaxed.

But for a laugh I started playing Persona 1 for the first time and while it's very dated, it's actually pretty fun. I'm in the first "real" dungeon so far as I can tell and finally found the first Velvet Room. So far the game hasn't been particularly hard, though I wonder if that's just because I've put a million hours into various incarnations (heh) of the series or this one is particularly easy (a five person party, area of effect attacks, no push-turn).

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i just mastema's design a whole lot!

i feel like his "heel turn" in Chaos is a little weak, but I also feel Chaos is weak in SJ in general

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

For anyone who doesn't have it, Soul Hackers is on sale on the 3DS eShop in Europe.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Atlas Hugged posted:

When the Switch was first announced, one of the games in the announcement trailer was something vaguely called "SMT 25th" or something like that. Did that end up becoming SMTV or are we going to get two separate SMTs on the Switch? I have to assume they're the same game, but it'd be neat if they weren't and we got a remake of the original or something or a tile based explorer.

1. The game shown in January is SMTV
2. There never was a game called SMT 25th. That logo meant that SMTV is being announced as part of the 25th anniversary of the series. The teaser never gave the game a name beyond "New Shin Megami Tensei Game"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Atlas Hugged posted:

My SMT wishlist is still Devil Survivor 3 and #FE2. I was talking to my buddies last night about these games and it finally clicked that the reason why I liked #FE so much was because it basically felt like a Persona game while mostly playing like a regular SMT. Persona is great and all, but I vastly prefer the more traditional RPG approach of the SMT main series. The calendar setup in Persona is fairly restrictive and is basically its own game that you have to deal with on top of the dungeon crawling and noodle shop visits. #FE dropped that and let you do everything in the game and do it at your own pace and as a result the whole experience was much more relaxed.

But for a laugh I started playing Persona 1 for the first time and while it's very dated, it's actually pretty fun. I'm in the first "real" dungeon so far as I can tell and finally found the first Velvet Room. So far the game hasn't been particularly hard, though I wonder if that's just because I've put a million hours into various incarnations (heh) of the series or this one is particularly easy (a five person party, area of effect attacks, no push-turn).
The SMT 25th project is kinda split between Strange Journey Redux and Shin Megami Tensei V, as far as I know? I'm just glad that we're getting a new mainline game relatively quickly after IV and IV:Apocalypse were released (2013 and 2016).

I didn't love #FE, but I liked it enough that, if a potential Persona 6 is in the cards any time soon (lol), I'd rather have it play like this instead of traditional Persona (the calendar setup burns me out really quick). I loving LOVED DeSu: OC, liked DeSu 2 enough for what it was and I wouldn't mind that DeSu 3 was a possibility down the road for the Switch.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yo what are the odds of a Switch port of #FE?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Raxivace posted:

Yo what are the odds of a Switch port of #FE?

Probably dreadfully low. :(

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It does some neat stuff bouncing between the two screens that would be tough to recreate on the Switch unfortunately.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Somehow people has managed to data mine Deep Strange Journey revealing the true identity of the new girl and the fact there's new endings.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

And the new ending descriptions from what I've heard are:
So there is apparently more details on whats going on. in the new endings Zelenin and Jimenez think for themselves and decide to interpret the world of Chaos and Law in their own way. A world where Humanity retains itself in the world of order, and a world where man kind as a whole Return To Nature without the whole world of strength. A world where the weak are allowed to become strong. New neutral is far into the future of the old neutral ending, where Space Marine instead keeps the power from Gore and is a immortal like Arthur. 150 years pass since they stayed onboard during the detonation and the next Scharzwalt shows up. Space Marine mankinds eternal guardian from their mistakes.

Basically, happier endings all-around.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

That actually sounds like it'll make for some really awesome changes to SJ, especially with them sort of rolling with the fan interpretation people had of the space marine.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I haven't looked at all the SMT games so I don't know if this is answered, but what alignment would robots and A.I. fall under?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

I haven't looked at all the SMT games so I don't know if this is answered, but what alignment would robots and A.I. fall under?

Arthur, a human-constructed AI, is considered part of the Neutral Path in Strange Journey.

I personally can't tell but some people have told me SMT angels are robotic/mechanical and they are all part of the Law alignment.. Metatron in Nocturne was when I first heard about this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtJIMeyzh48

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 28, 2017

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I hope that new stuff for DSJ isn't locked behind NG+ or anything like that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

that'd be super lame but idk why they'd do it like that

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

NikkolasKing posted:

Arthur, a human-constructed AI, is considered part of the Neutral Path in Strange Journey.

I personally can't tell but some people have told me SMT angels are robotic/mechanical and they are all part of the Law alignment.. Metatron in Nocturne was when I first heard about this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtJIMeyzh48

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Mraagvpeine posted:

In SMT2 there's a Machine race with Dark-Law alignment.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Is Deep Strange Journey going to have the same slog through dungeons that the original did where you'll have to turn on different "views" to see different parts of the dungeon? That's what killed the game for me in the original.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Pureauthor posted:

Those are unlocked by doing a new sidequest.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Atlas Hugged posted:

Is Deep Strange Journey going to have the same slog through dungeons that the original did where you'll have to turn on different "views" to see different parts of the dungeon? That's what killed the game for me in the original.

Yes.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

Eridanus in hi-def graphics is going to be a thing.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

AFAIK the new game just has a filter over upscaled images for the background.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

Oh that's a shame. I was hoping they'd touch it up like they did some of the other graphics.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Also it's kind of a stretch to call the 3DS hi-def, even compared to the DS.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

kirbysuperstar posted:

Also it's kind of a stretch to call the 3DS hi-def, even compared to the DS.

yeah, I got confused and thought there was a switch port or something

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Even if it was in HD, it wouldn't be enough to save Fornax from being hyper-boring and its most interesting feature being that you spend half your time in it not being in it.

Or Grus being a loving hellscape of terrible teleport mazes, conveyor belts and half of it being an empty wasteland with less than nothing that's locked behind NG+ because letting you get easy Repel Phys/Gun would be too broken, even for SJ.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
strange journey is a hell game

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Strange Journey was kind of too slow for my taste. Like I think they were going for a throwback to the Super Famicom SMT games, but even in those, the battles felt swift and random monster encounters didn't have loving MACCA BEAM. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

strange journey separates the weak from the strong