Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

what lever can I pull to run over Rupi Kaur

actually, don't worry about it; based on her social media presence, which is to say a Tiptree-level "girl who was plugged in" pissing and making GBS threads in a multimedia booth kind of presence, I'm sure one of her confederates will tell her that someone said "someone speculated about running you over with a trolley on Something Awful" and she'll be like

wheels

running over

my body

my valuable inclusive experience

totally smushed

rice-a-roni

NOT the san francisco treat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

- rupi kaurrrrrrrRRRRRRGH

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Inescapable Duck posted:

Never seen trolley problem pictures/parodies before? Hoo boy.

(the correct answer is always multi-track drifting)

oh yes i have, very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N_RZJUAQY4

ignore the obvious cut. we're all good

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

trolley problems

trolley wheels

trolling my terrible book thread

not my terrible books

because my books are fantastic

--its me i wrote this just now

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Inescapable Duck posted:

Why do I feel like my life is not the worse for it?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Just put a quarter on the rails, derailing the whole train and saving everyone. Except the conducter. Wait is it a commuter train? gently caress man, I don't know.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

the conductor is an innocent captive in our hellish game.

he has no agency much like in real life

passengers also but even less agency

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Powaqoatse posted:

trolley problems

trolley wheels

trolling my terrible book thread

not my terrible books

because my books are fantastic

--its me i wrote this just now

Burma-Shave.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Inescapable Duck posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHI2QV_-mF0&t=80s

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Pretend that I clicked a little light bulb above this post.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

People... good?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Things learned from english class in school: loving nothing is good when you have everyone alternate reading it out loud. NOTHING.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

Things learned from english class in school: loving nothing is good when you have everyone alternate reading it out loud. NOTHING.

I disagree - having a senior school class ham their way through Juliet’s argument with Papa Capulet is a lot of fun.

All it takes is one person willing to inject a little enthusiasm.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Powaqoatse posted:

the conductor is an innocent captive in our hellish game.

he has no agency much like in real life

passengers also but even less agency

A lie. He could stop the trolley and save all, but chooses not to. No matter the choice we fulfill his lust for blood.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Darth Walrus posted:

I disagree - having a senior school class ham their way through Juliet’s argument with Papa Capulet is a lot of fun.

"Fetch me my sword, ho!" will never not be funny.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

My English teacher when we were reading Romeo and Juliet wouldn't correct anyone's pronunciation (or other mistakes). Like, at all. I'd understand not interrupting someone mid-sentence, but when most of the class is consistently saying "though" instead of "thou" and clearly not understanding what they're reading, what is even the point?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tiggum posted:

My English teacher when we were reading Romeo and Juliet wouldn't correct anyone's pronunciation (or other mistakes). Like, at all. I'd understand not interrupting someone mid-sentence, but when most of the class is consistently saying "though" instead of "thou" and clearly not understanding what they're reading, what is even the point?

Reading anything with a class was a pain because no effort was made to get the kids to understand what they read beyond telling them what it meant in plainer words.

I only understood the Shakespeare because I was a Drama Club kid who acted in 3 Shakespeare plays during high school.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Reading anything with a class was a pain because no effort was made to get the kids to understand what they read beyond telling them what it meant in plainer words.

I only understood the Shakespeare because I was a Drama Club kid who acted in 3 Shakespeare plays during high school.

This is also a much more effective sex ed program than what most schools trot out.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

We should teach kids Romeos and Juliets instead. Pretty sure they'd dig it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Our drama teacher had us watch the Julie Taymor adaptation of Titus Andronicus. That was hilarious.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Barudak posted:

This is also a much more effective sex ed program than what most schools trot out.

Shakespeare or being in Drama Club? Because those were some horny motherfuckers.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Doesn't really matter since rather little in Shakespeare was pronounced the way it's pronounced nowadays anyway. Half the rhymes don't work anymore.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Doesn't really matter since rather little in Shakespeare was pronounced the way it's pronounced nowadays anyway. Half the rhymes don't work anymore.

It's not about the sound of it, it's about the fact that if you think "thou" means "though" then you obviously have no idea what the words you're saying mean.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tiggum posted:

It's not about the sound of it, it's about the fact that if you think "thou" means "though" then you obviously have no idea what the words you're saying mean.

I've read Shakespeare and not known what most of the stuff means even when I do know what the words mean (to me). That's why there's annotations.

I mean straight-up reading out Shakespeare in class has literally zero pedagogical value in any case so I'm not exactly disagreeing with you. I think.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Annotations should be like half a class on Shakespeare. Especially since there's so many sex jokes you have to explain.

Titus Andronicus also has a Your Mom joke.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

Annotations should be like half a class on Shakespeare. Especially since there's so many sex jokes you have to explain.

The reason Shakespeare is so god drat boring is that you've literally heard or seen the material (including jokes) in variations a million times in later works. He's not the only old artist with this problem of course but he's one of the most used.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Inescapable Duck posted:

Pretty much any literature from a prior century is going to be reliant on annotations. Contemporary writers from all eras write for an audience that will understand the technology, culture, and language without needing to be told what it is even though all of that will become moot within 100 years or so. Shakespeare's writing was just as full of pop culture, wordplay, and unstated cultural references as anything from the modern day, and that unfortunately makes it impossible to understand without extensive explanation of everything.

I think the only reason Shakespeare is seemingly so dense compared to older stuff like Gilgamesh or Beowulf is because Shakespeare wrote in a form of English that's sufficiently close to modern that everyone tries to read the original text with a standardized spelling, whereas anything written in a foreign language gets translated into modern English for ease of understanding. In middle school I had a book that was Romeo & Juliet with the original text on one page and a modern English "translation" on the opposite page, which is incredibly helpful.

My 12th grade English class tried to go one step further and do The Canterbury Tales. If you haven't taken a class in Middle English first, you're going to be squinting from the first paragraph.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 15:42 on Oct 31, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

The reason Shakespeare is so god drat boring is that you've literally heard or seen the material (including jokes) in variations a million times in later works. He's not the only old artist with this problem of course but he's one of the most used.
Also, if you're reading them, that is not how you're supposed to enjoy a play. Like, you don't read screenplays as an alternative to watching movies because that would be dumb. But for some reason people expect plays to work as novels, and they don't.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Shakespeare or being in Drama Club? Because those were some horny motherfuckers.

Drama club. It operates on all the same rules as fight club but with the word gently caress instead of fight.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

chitoryu12 posted:

My 12th grade English class tried to go one step further and do The Canterbury Tales. If you haven't taken a class in Middle English first, you're going to be squinting from the first paragraph.

Looks perfectly readable to me :confused:

(Yes, I know Wizards of the Coast specifically picked something readable to put on their trash garbage card, etc.)

Barudak posted:

Drama club. It operates on all the same rules as fight club but with the word gently caress instead of fight.
From everything I've heard, there's no way that only two people gently caress at a time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Inescapable Duck posted:

Our drama teacher had us watch the Julie Taymor adaptation of Titus Andronicus. That was hilarious.

Excellent choice.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Inescapable Duck posted:

I feel like these are opposite ends of a teaching competence scale.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Tiggum posted:

Also, if you're reading them, that is not how you're supposed to enjoy a play. Like, you don't read screenplays as an alternative to watching movies because that would be dumb. But for some reason people expect plays to work as novels, and they don't.

My teacher had us get up and act them out, at least as well as we could while literally holding the books. That kinda worked.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
tiptree was completely loving insane and i love her

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Darth Walrus posted:

No. It doesn't. Because that's people reading out a play, that can work fine! People alternate parts, not just reading giant loving hunks of text and swapping to the next person in line after an arbitrary number of pages.

Example: Wuthering Heights. Imagine this. There's always some fucker who can only read in a dead monotone. There's always someone who doesn't know what words mean and you have to stop and explain to them that crocuses are flowers and that hanging that basket of puppies was killing them not... whatever the hell they thought it meant. There's always someone who reads in a perfectly perky and cheerful telephone voice even if people are being murdered in the text. The latter was enthusiastic, but it killed the words being said just as much as monotone man.

The same class did Twelfth Night next because we wanted to actually IRL die after reading aloud A Tale of Two Cities and Wuthering Heights. We did it on the little stage at school when the auditorium was empty, and it was fun. People could be assigned to roles that fit their gigantic reading disabilities. (Monotone Guy got a part with few lines. Overly cheerful girl got an airhead noblewoman. People who knew what words were got the longer parts. etc.)

Speaking of which, my all-time terrible book: gently caress Wuthering Heights. I said that every character in the book without exception was loathsome and unlikeable and the teacher goes "Oh well there's actually a theory that this is because the maid was in love with Heathcliff and she's an unreliable narrator!" YEAH THAT DOESN'T HELP. That just means it was miserable and a waste of my time on top of that.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Midnight Voyager posted:

Speaking of which, my all-time terrible book: gently caress Wuthering Heights. I said that every character in the book without exception was loathsome and unlikeable
This is the part where I smugly explain that you're a big dumb baby because um actually characters don't have to be perfect and furthermore

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
We spent way too many English classes reading out loud from a novel, switching readers every page. What a waste of teaching hours that was. I don't think I'll ever be able to enjoy To Kill a Mocking Bird.

Being that it was ESL, I'm sure the teachers would argue that it was to get us to practice speaking English, but then most of the students were native English speakers whose parents had sent them to French high school for ~immersion~.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

the old ceremony posted:

tiptree was completely loving insane and i love her

She's one of my all-time favorite authors, and her biography is right alongside her fiction as being an extremely wild and heartbreaking ride.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

FrozenVent posted:

I don't think I'll ever be able to enjoy To Kill a Mocking Bird.

Man, that legit sucks. To Kill a Mockingbird is an amazing novel, and one I love to death :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FrozenVent posted:

We spent way too many English classes reading out loud from a novel, switching readers every page. What a waste of teaching hours that was. I don't think I'll ever be able to enjoy To Kill a Mocking Bird.

Being that it was ESL, I'm sure the teachers would argue that it was to get us to practice speaking English, but then most of the students were native English speakers whose parents had sent them to French high school for ~immersion~.

My French classes in high school had a native French speaker in them! He was born and raised for a good chunk of his life in France and still had a French accent, and he could speak conversational French around the house perfectly. He was basically learning the language theory at that point.