Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I believe they're just reprints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Choice selection from the Japanese Animated Film Classics archive is the first volume of a two-parter, Nonsense Story: Monkey Island (1930) http://animation.filmarchives.jp/works/playen/42168

At 24-minutes in length, it's a very impressive work of paper animation about a babe who gets marooned to be raised on an island ruled by monkeys. Unfortunately, the second volume, Pirate Ship (Adventure of the Sea) doesn't seem to be available, although in its absence it certainly makes for a rather bold ending.

It's silent, so if I may, I'd recommend playing Joe Hisaishi's score for Sonatine simultaneously with it. The juxtaposition may seem a tad dark, but Hisaishi's music remarkably complements the mischievous tone of the short: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wow, LucasArts has been around longer than I thought.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I can't believe the movie starts out with the iconic line "こんばんは。ガイブラシ・スリープウッドといいます。海賊になりたいんです。"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
TJ MIller still voices mucinex commercials, he’s not that famous yet.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

TJ MIller still voices mucinex commercials, he’s not that famous yet.

A check for 6 figures for a couple hours of work isnt much to scoff at.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Check it out, I found some Zootopia toys in the wild.

Wait...

OH NO...

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Dude PLEASE put a trigger warning before posting Cheezle T. Weasel!!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just saw Resident Evil Vendetta. As someone who has played RE from the beginning and watched all the other animated movies, this isn't the worst movie I've ever seen, but it might be the dumbest . I'm pretty sure they pulled the entire script off fanfiction.net. There are some scenes that made me laugh at least, but there weren't enough of them for me to recommend the movie.

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.

Wh-

Why is it varnished?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Look, we put on a gloss map in place of fur, that should be good enough right?

Jackapol
Sep 16, 2007
Huh huh buhhh.

Waffleman_ posted:

By the way, yesterday, GKIDS and Shout Factory began their rollout of Ghibli Blu-ray releases, starting with:

My Neighbor Totoro
Ponyo
Howl's Moving Castle
Kiki's Delivery Service
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away

I don't know how many of these had been released on BD before, but there ya go.

Castle in the Sky and Nausicaä are coming on the 21st, and Arrietty plus Porco Rosso are coming November 21.

Did they ever release a version where the subtitles weren't just the English dub script, seems like such a minor thing to have excluded.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Dr. Memory posted:

Wh-

Why is it varnished?

It’s the mascot for a drano/liquid toilet declogger equivalent

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Isn't that weasel voiced by the director?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I watched Over The Garden Wall last week and it was fantastic. What a fun miniseries.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pyrotoad posted:

Isn't that weasel voiced by the director?

Worse. Wayne Brady.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

No, Wayne Brady is the squirrel.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Tomorrow is a special day.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I watched Over The Garden Wall last week and it was fantastic. What a fun miniseries.

Heck yeah! And perfect for fall. That's a rock fact!

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Waffleman_ posted:

This is one of those weird holidays celebrated on different days in different countries, the US doesn't get to commemorate Bee Movie's 10th anniversary until Nov. 2.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CRINDY posted:

This is one of those weird holidays celebrated on different days in different countries, the US doesn't get to commemorate Bee Movie's 10th anniversary until Nov. 2.

I do not recognize this holiday so do I get double pay if I go in to work

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Well crap, I better mark the occasion with something.

Yeah, that'll do.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I loved the Last Unicorn as a kid but as an adult it's one of the few movies that can reduce me to tears every time I watch it. The meaning of the movie completely changed from 'pretty horse adventure' to 'Oh god what is just trying to live through life?'

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Hey guys, my country got the early screenings for Coco, because, well, :mexico:

Anyways, I'll keep the spoilers for when a Coco thread is up, or the rest of the world gets the screenings. The movie was good, animation and details were amazing, there weren't any stereotypical cringy things about my country, and there was a lot of crying from my part.

Oh yes, no one in the room liked Frozen's short film :lol:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
How's the script? That's pretty much my make-or-break point on Pixar stuff nowadays.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Bimmi posted:

How's the script? That's pretty much my make-or-break point on Pixar stuff nowadays.

The dialogue in the trailer looked garbage to me, but I would like to be pleasantly surprised

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Desperado Bones posted:

Oh yes, no one in the room liked Frozen's short film :lol:

This is probably the one thing keeping me from seeing the movie in theatres. Does a 21 minute short ever need to exist?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

It is nothing like The Book of Life in case anyone was wondering. The script was good, like good, not excellent. There were a lot of familiar things for me, as a mexican, and it made me feel so comfortable while watching a movie, as if I was watching a thing that came out from a mexican studio, so I dunno if it will have the same impact to people from other countries.

There was a scene that I found extremely cliche, and I still don't know if they lacked the imagination, or they were trying to emulate the silly scripts from telenovelas or movies from the golden era of mexican cinema, they also missed explaining a very important element of the story. I guess it probably got discarded during edition. I mean, a child might not care about those little details but I'm a bit picky with things like that.

Overall those don't hurt the movie too bad, there was a lot of comedic moments that had everyone in stitches, and the sad parts were very sad. Also, they were very,very bold for showing a character actually dying on screen. Like, no classical shadowy silhouette,subtle dead, cut to funeral or grave, or magical flash of light like with Moana...just dramatic scene and a body dropping there, dead. By the way, funny characters drinking tequila or mezcal. I don't recall that happening before. Has it?

starkebn posted:

The dialogue in the trailer looked garbage to me, but I would like to be pleasantly surprised

The dubbed version is better. No "amigo" words mixed in between the english dialogue. All spanish as it should be.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

This is probably the one thing keeping me from seeing the movie in theatres. Does a 21 minute short ever need to exist?

A couple was panicking and actually asked if they were in the wrong room. A guy groaned and said out loud "Please, don't sing again". A child was bored out of her mind and some people actually took the time to buy more food or take a bathroom break.

And it felt very off-season. That thing should be on a Christmas movie.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
There’s a 21 goddamn minutes “short” preceding Coco? Holy gently caress are you kidding me

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

YES. No, I'm not kidding.

I would recommend people to get in 20 minutes late in to the screening (If you cinema allows it) or go buy more sweets and pop corn or go out and play on your phone, the "short" wasn't that interesting. The animation was good, but the story was MEH. I know Pixar is trying to create the hype for Frozen 2, but it fel like a direct-to-DVD movie story quality.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

You know, I haven't seen any of the trailers for Coco... Prolly going into that one completely blind. Might be interesting?

Also, I had to see this, so I'm forcing you all to see it too:

https://twitter.com/DDream_Cast/status/924147924547833856

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Desperado Bones posted:

I know Pixar is trying to create the hype for Frozen 2

Frozen is WDAS, not Pixar. I'm honestly kind of surprised they put it in front of a Pixar movie, typically Pixar does their own thing with the shorts.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Frozen is WDAS, not Pixar. I'm honestly kind of surprised they put it in front of a Pixar movie, typically Pixar does their own thing with the shorts.

I'm not very versed in the studios thingy, so my apologies for the mistake. Although, yeah, I was expecting a 5-10 minute long original short. Something to actually go with the mood of the main movie. Or the theme. A halloween/spooky themed short wouldn't had hurt, to be honest.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This is the best thing to come out of that movie.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Eh, unless the general word is that Coco is a return to form I'ma give it a pass. Weird to think that I used to consider Pixar anything a must-see, but have somehow managed to skip their last seven films without really feeling like I've missed anything.

e: wait, Cars 3 already came and went? Talk about a fart in a breeze. Did anyone here actually see it?

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 29, 2017

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
You missed Inside Out.

But I’m with you overall, now Pixar is like everyone else: "I’ll wait to see if people seem to like it".

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I have faith in The Incredibles 2 so long as Brad Bird is in charge of it

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Finding Dory was also quite good.

I haven't seen The Good Dinosaur or Cars 3 yet, and between the two, only vaguely wanna see the latter.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Shadow Hog posted:

Finding Dory was also quite good.

I haven't seen The Good Dinosaur or Cars 3 yet, and between the two, only vaguely wanna see the latter.

The Good Dinosaur feels more like a tech demo they got forced to release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Coco was very, very good.

Some stray thoughts:

-When the trailers started dropping, I found the design of the skeleton characters extremely unappealing (maybe it was their mouths?), but I ended getting used to them.
-Any film that dumps on Frida Kahlo is okay in my book.
-I no-poo poo thought the dog became an alebrije because he died after eating the mole (which we all know is made with chocolate, a big no-no for dogs)
-If you've ever had to deal with someone close to you suffering from Alzheimer's disease, this movie is going to loving wreck you. :(