Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'll level with you; the location ain't great, but when you see the figgies you're gonna lomarf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ddd

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 26, 2017

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

echinopsis posted:

potential new lady in my life makes some deeece figgies. and potentially many more in the future. her sister currently makes a cool 7 figgies with an extra three of those 6 figgies just for shits and giggles on top.

i am uncertain about how to deal worh all of this. i am will seem like quite the under achiever lmao. she likes me tho wtf

You have self worth issues so this might not be a good situation for you.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

figgies but racist

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

You have self worth issues so this might not be a good situation for you.

well, it's certainly a reason to deal with my own extremely poor self worth, but not a reason to avoid it. but def need to work on it

"comparison is the theif of joy" indeed

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

quietly humping your way to positive self worth: the Echi story

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

echinopsis posted:

potential new lady in my life makes some deeece figgies. and potentially many more in the future. her sister currently makes a cool 7 figgies with an extra three of those 6 figgies just for shits and giggles on top.

i am uncertain about how to deal worh all of this. i am will seem like quite the under achiever lmao. she likes me tho wtf

do figmeisters like to deepthroat? 🤔

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you knew the answer before you even typed it out

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
my rich friend has a fig tree in his backyard. i wonder if his wealth correlates to that 🤔

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
and they said figgies don't grow on trees........

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Early in the morning, as he was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. Seeing a figgie tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, "May you never bear fruit again!" Immediately the tree withered.

When the disciples saw this, they were amazed. "How did the figgie tree wither so quickly?" they asked.

Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the figgie tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

all hail the magic figgie tree. :byodood: ahlulululululululululululylululululululylylullululu :byodood:

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

rjmccall posted:

it depends a lot on the state. in ca/ny where that's more common it'll be more like 160k. which is still plenty ofc

also a techie is probably getting 80k or so of that in rsus (if i remember the poverty-tier income structure right), maybe 50k after taxes. speaking descriptively, some people have mental blocks about selling that straight off because it feels disloyal, which is the point at which 401k + big mortgage/rent + high-col area starts actually feeling tight. of course that's stupid, that 50k isn't just disappearing, it means they're saving a pretty good chunk of change a year, just in a hilariously over-exposed-to-one-company sort of way

i assume you're quoting 1k a month in food as some sort of reasonable, comfortable baseline for normal people, because ime people in this bracket tend to spend waaaay more than 30 bucks a day on restuarants + booze

even if you immediately sell and reinvest in index funds you still don't feel like you're "seeing" that money.

I (a person who is in no way good with managing money) sometimes feel like I'm not making a whole lot of money, but then I go look at my investments/RSUs/retirement accounts and realize "oh, that's a lot of money". i've basically hidden half of my income from myself

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

FamDav posted:

I (a person who is in no way good with managing money) sometimes feel like I'm not making a whole lot of money, but then I go look at my investments/RSUs/retirement accounts and realize "oh, that's a lot of money". i've basically hidden half of my income from myself

same

also this is the best way to save: before your dumbass hands even gets wind of having that cash available

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

i just put everything on the credit card :smugmrgw:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
a nice one point five figure figgy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when i move out imma have start budgeting etc

YNAB helped me in the past and imma have to take advantage of it. don’t get shameful figs but not enough figs to not worry about day to day poo poo :(

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

echinopsis posted:

when i move out

wait what

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

lol

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

FamDav posted:

wait what

don’t act surprised

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
thread really delivering

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

FamDav posted:

wait what

the marriage of Rodtronics founder Roderick “Echi” Tronic has failed

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
code:
   m""    "                    "
 mm#mm  mmm     mmmm   mmmm  mmm     mmm
   #      #    #" "#  #" "#    #    #"  #
   #      #    #   #  #   #    #    #""""
   #    mm#mm  "#m"#  "#m"#  mm#mm  "#mm"
                m  #   m  #
                 ""     ""

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

echinopsis posted:

when i move out imma have start budgeting etc

YNAB helped me in the past and imma have to take advantage of it. don’t get shameful figs but not enough figs to not worry about day to day poo poo :(

i use an app from a startup to track my expenses which has the advantage that its nice to use and it doesnt have the stigma of launching steam and the disadvantage that their servers will one day get hacked and my family will get kidnapped to get at the savings ive logged

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

ppl who buy poo poo on steam r the ones who mos t need ynab

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

poty posted:

i use an app from a startup to track my expenses which has the advantage that its nice to use and it doesnt have the stigma of launching steam and the disadvantage that their servers will one day get hacked and my family will get kidnapped to get at the savings ive logged

mine isnt through steam

and files stored locally, although i put them on dropbox

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

figgie smalls

pram
Jun 10, 2001

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol dats how i roll

i’ll have a new two bedroom but in a row of houses that ended up mostly being brought out by housing nz (to become state houses) and so low figgies all around me :/

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

echinopsis posted:

lol dats how i roll

i’ll have a new two bedroom but in a row of houses that ended up mostly being brought out by housing nz (to become state houses) and so low figgies all around me :/

just makes you more appealing to the desperate sheilas pushing prams about.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

YNAB teaches you some good habits.

need to nuckle down until got some deece backup for life (ie, unexpected car bill doesnt gently caress me over) and for moving forward, then can start to enjoy life again

in the asset split, i will probably end up taking less than half. the last thing I want to do is hurt my soon to be ex wife, or leave her stranded. shes gonna have a big family home and itll probably be "home" whereas my place will just be the secondary place. I think its fair because I do value the family and the kids over me getting 50%, plus tbf 1/3 of our marriage was me being a student at uni (so no income, apart from meagre student allowance), and 1 1/2 years of being marginially employed where she was the primary bread winner.. so I think asking for 50% is rude, and I don't want to do this by the letter of the law, but in the most empathetic and respectful way possible. marriage breakup is basically my fault, she doesnt deserve to be hosed over in the settlement 😌

this thread about financial advice too

how much should I put into the nz index fund at a time? how little is worthless because of transaction funds. how can I secure some kind of financial future
when some mother fucker makes 80g on a property transcation in a month (buy then sell) , really puts ya $100 a week into savings into perspective 😓 cant get ahead just be working hard, gently caress no

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
don’t give in to that kind of thinking. there’s always gonna be somebody else who looks like they’re making shitloads more money than you, especially if you don’t know all the ways they’re losing out. you’ll just end up chasing get-rich-quick schemes, and those only ever work out for the grifter

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

rjmccall posted:

you’ll just end up chasing get-rich-quick schemes, and those only ever work out for the grifter

How many figgies do grifters pull in?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

buy lotto and win riches

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rjmccall posted:

don’t give in to that kind of thinking. there’s always gonna be somebody else who looks like they’re making shitloads more money than you, especially if you don’t know all the ways they’re losing out. you’ll just end up chasing get-rich-quick schemes, and those only ever work out for the grifter

I know you can only do what you can do, but I'm saying, pumping a side bunch of money into a boring bank account is never gonna get you much out of it

lotsa people here give the impression their salaries arent just money but also shares and people itt talking about selling shares and buying index funds and etc.. wanna borrow a bit of this knowledge

life is going to be very different soon.. always had a safety net of the marriage and a wife who can get extra well paying work at the drop of a hat.. I won't have that.. if work dries up for whatever reason i'll have to do unskilled work until new employment comes along?? gently caress.. lets hope it doesnt come to that coz you bust your rear end and barely get by

managed to get to where I am in life due to deece natural brains like most yosposters, and have managed to cruise thru life a lot which is totally worthless life lessons and I have a lot of skills but also poor motivation, this is something I need to learn how to deal with.. been looking at CBT n poo poo which seems extremely good "but" you have to put in the effort to get the results.. its like, its a train to success but you need to run to keep up with the train to jump on in the first place and still in that "first place" where I need to make the initial jump into progress

its cool. I need money to make my life live. love to have figgies and I wonder if I could use my experience and move into IT in some way. still want to move into IT, I think my brain could totally do it but need a bit of stability and backup first before trying an employment risk

the software 90+% of the pharmacies in the country use is made in this town. my ideas could revolutionise..

I wonder about being able to man in the middle the label printer, and be able to edit them before the print, or turn them down, etc.. my software is good and fast and keyboard controls are nice but it has some amazingly frustrating limitations and now I have a moment of passion to wonder if its possible to mod the softare myself.. hehehe anyway they should totally employ me as some kind of consultants

pram
Jun 10, 2001
a lot of advice youd get from here wont be of much value because its very US oriented and no one knows how your dollary-doo market works

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate we can talk about fundamentals

including ways to succeed at life

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

mate we can talk about fundamentals

including ways to succeed at life

I'd advise against putting too much money into a NZ index fund the economy isn't super diversified, and a housing crash is just around the corner. Put it into the S&P500(US) or a Euro-centric one. But I am an American who finds the countries dependency on milk exports a major part of it's GDP a sign of how fast poo poo could go wrong because its so tiny.

But that is all predicated on you not having any debt. The fact that you were willing to sucky sucky for a video card makes me think you might be broke and in debt. The universal advice is 3 months of emergency savings, then pay down debt as much as possible. Then increase to 6-12 months of cushion, and from there send the max to your kiwisaver that you can.

Also if you don't have a kiwisaver account, lol.

Also, also move to Oz to make more money.

Edit: Lol.jpg

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 28, 2017

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Anyone whose job I wanted I would sit back and watch their projects fail then come in to save the day and ask for a raise and promotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

echinopsis posted:

lotsa people here give the impression their salaries arent just money but also shares and people itt talking about selling shares and buying index funds and etc.. wanna borrow a bit of this knowledge

-make long term goals
-break that goal into six month increments where you can re-evaluate if you're making progress or not
-stick to it

like everything else in life the further ahead you get the easier this gets. once you land a job that has an actual ladder you can climb this becomes a matter of not being a shitlord, talking to your boss every now and then, and being genuinely interested in your job

if you don't have a ladder you have to motivate yourself every day to work on it. and the payoffs will be extremely delayed so it will be very easy to become distracted. and all this work will only get you onto the bottom rung. keep your eye on the ball

• Locked thread