Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Convex posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXErKk1mpRQ

You appear to be a man stuck in a basement who kills homeless people and weird green ghosts with a knife. Also bats are there

I like how “Mushrooms” is an advertised top-level feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
So are "different levels".

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Guillermus posted:

You're not alone. I really liked Heretic II, not an early FPS but was drat fun.

I agree with you that games from 1998 are not old, and neither are we! We're in the prime of our lives! Also I'm third person too.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Convex posted:

Some weird Russian FPS from 1995 got a 'remastered' edition on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/708800/Dungeons_Of_Kremlin_Remastered/

You appear to be a man stuck in a basement who kills homeless people and weird green ghosts with a knife. Also bats are there

Holy man, that stabbing animation. Also how he gingerly plucks the bow to shoot arrows.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pathos posted:

I like how “Mushrooms” is an advertised top-level feature

They're apparently damage over time traps and they're EVERYWHERE which is an interesting thing to feature.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

You just know SOMEONE out there is looking at that game and thinking, with all seriousness, "loving FINALLY!"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You just know SOMEONE out there is looking at that game and thinking, with all seriousness, "loving FINALLY!"

I feel like it's intended as a reminder to 90s nostalgia.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I can see now how Strafe can be good. But man it feels like it has no soul. Like just another indie game that decided part way through to use 90s nolstalgia for marketing.

Excepting "itoldyouso" but I don't think it's unplayable or anything.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

If you get Dusk now to play the first episode, have they mentioned whether you can just continue from there to episode 2 when the full game is out? And not have to replay it and whatnot. Game looks rad.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Ularg posted:

I can see now how Strafe can be good. But man it feels like it has no soul. Like just another indie game that decided part way through to use 90s nolstalgia for marketing.

Like I said before, it's decent. Fun even. I didn't play it at launch and it was supposedly rougher then. I'm glad I got it on sale and after a few patches.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Ularg posted:

No it definitely has soul, it's just not immediately obvious. This game's got poo poo like...

A bunch of secret functioning weapons as nods to other games, like SUPERHOT, Serious Sam (that's the SBC cannon in this shot), Shadow Warrior, Devil Daggers, etc. The SUPERHOT shotgun even functions exactly like its counterpart (time stands still as long as you do); the Devil Daggers change the appearance of the game to more closely imitate Devil Dagger's appearance and is probably one of my favorite secret weapons.

A hidden Wolfenstein-esque arcade level

A playable Dig-Dug style console game

Really difficult to access "glitch" areas

Dogs???

And even an entire ~20-minute super secret segment that takes the piss out of "Dear Esther"/"Gone Home"-type games (ignore the blood, I was severely wounded when I found the secret).

There are also a bunch of unlockable "mutator"-type game enhancements that can be applied to each run, like Big Head mode, instagib, rocket arena, enemy and weapon randomizers, etc., in addition to a speedrunning mode and a really tough "endurance"-type arena mode.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Oct 28, 2017

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I have yet to find a single cool secret in STRAFE. I've been doing the wolfenstein wall grinding in a few places but I haven't found one yet. Are these in fixed places or just randomly pop up every 1 in 256 iterations or something?

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
See, my problem with all that secret stuff is that the game launched with all of that, but did not have keys to switch to your extra weapon pickups until just recently. Somebody spent a boatload of time on secrets and hidden references, but the most common enemies ran straight at you in dead silence and basic QoL stuff was absent.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Happy birthday, John Romero. Go wish him a happy birthday.

Copper Vein posted:

See, my problem with all that secret stuff is that the game launched with all of that, but did not have keys to switch to your extra weapon pickups until just recently. Somebody spent a boatload of time on secrets and hidden references, but the most common enemies ran straight at you in dead silence and basic QoL stuff was absent.

I think it has to come down to youtube videos to find these things because there's no clear visual cue as to what a secret is or looks like.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Yea I'm talking about art assets and music. It wasn't until after my first hour that I realized there was music to begin with. It just felt like I was going through silent, mostly empty areas that have enemies sprinkled around haphazardly (problem you can't really solve).

I don't know how to put it into words yet, but I'll be able to if I keep playing. I do see the "Secrets Found" stat but I have no idea how to find or activate any of them. I've done the smash face against wall, spam E as I scrape my face across but to no avail.

Also there really should be a melee button to bash an enemy too close for comfort with the butt of your rifle.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I have yet to find a single cool secret in STRAFE. I've been doing the wolfenstein wall grinding in a few places but I haven't found one yet. Are these in fixed places or just randomly pop up every 1 in 256 iterations or something?

The game has a small enough community that there's no real 100% consensus on all secrets, but what I've figured out so far is:

1. Ironically, no secrets are triggered with the typical "Wolfenstein Wall-Hump" technique. All secrets are triggered by either shooting something or flinging an explosive barrel at it, not with the use key.
2. There are small control panels that randomly spawn in Zone 1, 3, and 4--generally up towards the ceiling in larger rooms--that can be shot, causing a secret room to open up nearby. This room will either have health or shield charges, nothing super special. I have never seen a Zone 1 Level 1 that didn't have at least 1 or 2 of these, but subsequent levels don't seem guaranteed to have any. In Zone 2, the control panel is replaced with a football-sized green volcano-looking thing that dribbles blue goo when shot, but otherwise serves the same function.
3. Occasionally you can come across a small, harmless orange bug (very similar to the explosive bugs that you can pick up and throw in Zone 2--only smaller) that will promptly scurry towards a wall; whichever wall it crawls into is guaranteed to be a secret wall that can be destroyed by throwing an explosive barrel at it, revealing a special weapon room.
4. There are "magic" walls that can be walked through (the screenshot of the two dogs I posted earlier is one such secret), but these walls must be shot before you can pass through them. The walls make a very distinct, unique noise when shot for the first time, and are often in really random areas that make them unlikely to be found (i.e. off the ground, where you would have to jump into the wall to access).
5. If you can manage to glitch through the geometry of a level and fall "under" the map, you will spawn in a glitched version of the shop and can steal everything for sale.
6. You can access the Wolfenstein arcade cabinet by gibbing the corpse that is always at the start of each run--it'll drop a token that causes the Wolfenstein cabinet to spawn in a random place on Zone 1 Level 2.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Oct 28, 2017

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Ularg posted:

Yea I'm talking about art assets and music. It wasn't until after my first hour that I realized there was music to begin with. It just felt like I was going through silent, mostly empty areas that have enemies sprinkled around haphazardly (problem you can't really solve).
Wait, are you saying the music is unremarkable or did it not play for you because the music is the one thing I didn't have a problem with, like at all. It can be kind of glitchy sometimes. The actual game music starts after you shoot the first enemy in a level.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The game has a small enough community that there's no real 100% consensus on all secrets, but what I've figured out so far is:

1. Ironically, no secrets are triggered with the typical "Wolfenstein Wall-Hump" technique. All secrets are triggered by either shooting something or flinging an explosive barrel at it, not with the use key.
2. There are small control panels that randomly spawn in Zone 1, 3, and 4--generally up towards the ceiling in larger rooms--that can be shot, causing a secret room to open up nearby. This room will either have health or shield charges, nothing super special. I have never seen a Zone 1 Level 1 that didn't have at least 1 or 2 of these, but subsequent levels don't seem guaranteed to have any. In Zone 2, the control panel is replaced with a football-sized green volcano-looking thing that dribbles blue goo when shot, but otherwise serves the same function.
3. Occasionally you can come across a small, harmless orange bug (very similar to the explosive bugs that you can pick up and throw in Zone 2--only smaller) that will promptly scurry towards a wall; whichever wall it crawls into is guaranteed to be a secret wall that can be destroyed by throwing an explosive barrel at it, revealing a special weapon room.
4. There are "magic" walls that can be walked through (the screenshot of the two dogs I posted earlier is one such secret), but these walls must be shot before you can pass through them. The walls make a very distinct, unique noise when shot for the first time, and are often in really random areas that make them unlikely to be found (i.e. off the ground, where you would have to jump into the wall to access).
5. If you can manage to glitch through the geometry of a level and fall "under" the map, you will spawn in a glitched version of the shop and can steal everything for sale.
6. You can access the Wolfenstein arcade cabinet by gibbing the corpse that is always at the start of each run--it'll drop a token that causes the Wolfenstein cabinet to spawn in a random place on Zone 1 Level 2.

Good tips all around. I managed to glitch into a secret compartment while strafe jumping but since I didn't shoot one of those panels, there was no way to open it from the inside. I was having a good run up until that point too. Same thing happened to me in Immortal Redneck too.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm saying that I didn't notice it at all until just recently. And even then I never really got caught by it. It's just actual background that I forget is there.

Maybe Doom spoils me.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Heavy Metal posted:

If you get Dusk now to play the first episode, have they mentioned whether you can just continue from there to episode 2 when the full game is out? And not have to replay it and whatnot. Game looks rad.

I think they've said that you'll have to play Ep1 over again.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Good to know thanks, I'll probably hold out for the full thing.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The glitched shop is actually just an easter egg that sometimes spawns on a map along with a segment of floor/wall you can fall through - it's not a consequence of actually glitching through geometry (you can do that, especially in the tram segments).

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's an easy assumption to make since STRAFE was so glitchy at launch you would fall through the geometry constantly.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
My third level into a run of Strafe and there's a green and a blue door. Kill all the enemies in the first room, go into the second room that's open to me and kill everything there. All enemies dead, no other ways forward besides the two doors, both are closed. Don't know what I did wrong.

Also I fell through the world to that glitch shop you talked about.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Ularg posted:

My third level into a run of Strafe and there's a green and a blue door. Kill all the enemies in the first room, go into the second room that's open to me and kill everything there. All enemies dead, no other ways forward besides the two doors, both are closed. Don't know what I did wrong.

Also I fell through the world to that glitch shop you talked about.

If there's a color-coded locked door, there should be a corpse nearby--a human who was already dead, not an enemy NPC--that has a key on it. Look for a corpse slumped over holding the key, with a flashlight illuminating the body. If there's a retinal/facial scanner, then there are 3 or 4 bodies nearby and you need to rip off the correct person's head (their face is displayed on the retinal scanner so you know which one you need).

Lemon-Lime posted:

The glitched shop is actually just an easter egg that sometimes spawns on a map along with a segment of floor/wall you can fall through - it's not a consequence of actually glitching through geometry (you can do that, especially in the tram segments).

Oh that makes sense then.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
There anywhere to see the Dusk E2 reveal?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm getting some serious nostalgia urge to play Wolfenstein 3d. Is there a mod that basically plays the same but adds in a Doom-like map? I know zdoom might be what I'm looking for, but I'm unsure exactly where to start.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm getting some serious nostalgia urge to play Wolfenstein 3d. Is there a mod that basically plays the same but adds in a Doom-like map? I know zdoom might be what I'm looking for, but I'm unsure exactly where to start.

ECWolf is a sorta-ZDoom source port for Wolf3D games that adds a DOOM-styled automap, among a few other things.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Narcissus1916 posted:

Blade of Agony is what you are looking for.

http://boa.realm667.com

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Uuh no ecwolf is what he is looking for. Or wolfendoom if he literally wants wolf3d in zdoom

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

ECWolf looks perfect! Blade of agony looks pretty great too for another day, too.

While hacking away enemies in New Colossus, I realized I've only played the first episode of Wolfenstein 3d. I've never killed Hitler. :(

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

To be fair, Wolfenstein 3D is a game that's great fun for a few levels, and then quickly wears out its welcome after that. The gameplay never gets any less solid, but that's not enough to overcome the onset of ennui.

Doom's less-orthognal rooms and height variation are generally enough to keep things fresh the entire time, at least. (...though this hasn't stopped me from not finishing most MegaWADs I start.)

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

To be fair, Wolfenstein 3D is a game that's great fun for a few levels, and then quickly wears out its welcome after that. The gameplay never gets any less solid, but that's not enough to overcome the onset of ennui.

That's my feelings towards Blake Stone. I love the setting and the enemy variation but the Wolfenstein 3D engine it is built on is just too limited.

I would love if it got the Blade of Agony treatment one day.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The guy who does ECWolf says on his page he wants to support Blake Stone but there's no timeline.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Woolie Wool's wolf3d mods were p sick though, they added a sniper ish rifle that had high damage and accuracy but low rate of fire. Definitely makes Wolf3d much deeper to play.

Also I'd love a Blake stone inspired tc

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Convex posted:

Some weird Russian FPS from 1995 got a 'remastered' edition on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/708800/Dungeons_Of_Kremlin_Remastered/

At first I thought that maybe it was supposed to be a joke that the game was from 1995 (watching the video, it reminded me a bit of the trailer Merger3D), because it looked a little too clean and detailed to be a game from that era. I looked it up, though, and found the original game on Mobygames.

Here's a screenshot from the original 1995 version compared to the remaster:

Look like they did a pretty big overhaul.

EDIT: Found a video of the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOe4AysQbHE

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Oct 29, 2017

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
What's with the random elephant and horse sound effects in that video??

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yow, that’s slow and painfully boring. Was there a Russian version of Pie in the Sky or something?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Sometimes things shouldn't be made. :barf:

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
The worst part of Wolfenstein 3D is that running is too fast, and enemy hit probability is based on your movement speed. The ideal strategy is to strafe-run back and forth rapidly to minimize your odds of being hit, and it feels bad.

That said, I've beaten it, Spear of Destiny, and both of the largely bad mission packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Convex posted:

What's with the random elephant and horse sound effects in that video??
They must have gotten the cheapest sound effects library known to man. The bat dying sounds like a turkey.