Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

My squid jigs finally arrived! :peanut: I don't care if I'm dog tired from moving this weekend, I'm going night fishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It's so drat hit or miss with squid fishing. Caught one fucker in 90 minutes the other night.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Why do I forget how much I hate the first day of a trout stock every single time they come around? I get to the tiny lake just as they're stocking expecting a decent crowd, maybe 40-50 dudes. Nope, easily over 200 lines in the water already. So I have to walk all the way around to the other side to get to one of the few open spots. I have a large Belarusian family next to me who were very nice, but also completely unaware of any fishing etiquette. They're all throwing spinner baits all over the place, even though everyone else is just fishing powerbait and casting straight out in front of them because it's so cramped. The family is getting their lines tangled with everyone around them, and people are getting pissed, but no one wants to say anything to the family of 20 who barely speak english. I offered them my powerbait, but the guy just tells me "no fun". know what else is no fun? Having to cut off like 100 yds of line and rerig every 5 minutes because you only wanna cast where you see trout jump even though you have to cast over 3 other lines to do it. Eventually I move to another spot that opened up and finally catch a fish... my only fish after 2 drat hours. Hopefully I can bring myself to get up at sunrise tomorrow and get my limit before it's jammed up with googans again.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Finally got one again this morning. Weather was crap, but I'll take 16" when given to me... wait.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Rape Stink posted:

Why do I forget how much I hate the first day of a trout stock every single time they come around? I get to the tiny lake just as they're stocking expecting a decent crowd, maybe 40-50 dudes. Nope, easily over 200 lines in the water already. So I have to walk all the way around to the other side to get to one of the few open spots. I have a large Belarusian family next to me who were very nice, but also completely unaware of any fishing etiquette. They're all throwing spinner baits all over the place, even though everyone else is just fishing powerbait and casting straight out in front of them because it's so cramped. The family is getting their lines tangled with everyone around them, and people are getting pissed, but no one wants to say anything to the family of 20 who barely speak english. I offered them my powerbait, but the guy just tells me "no fun". know what else is no fun? Having to cut off like 100 yds of line and rerig every 5 minutes because you only wanna cast where you see trout jump even though you have to cast over 3 other lines to do it. Eventually I move to another spot that opened up and finally catch a fish... my only fish after 2 drat hours. Hopefully I can bring myself to get up at sunrise tomorrow and get my limit before it's jammed up with googans again.

Yeah, I am of a very mixed mind about trout stocking programs. Mostly because the amount of trash I end up picking up from say October to March is easily triple what I find at the rest of the year. I would also say the majority of snarled fishing on a lot of the water has a troll bridge stuck on the end of it. The dumb little pond between my work and my house just got 400 of dumped in it on Monday and it's amazing how many guys seem to only come out for two or three weeks a year when they stock.

I would actually prefer if more people fished spinner baits and not clog up 50 feet of the bank with a bunch of lines in the water. Belarusian guy is correct, power bait fishing like the dullest thing I've ever sat still for.

I had a couple really nice looking rainbows on the line after work today, but my single hook spinners that I use for perch don't seem to work very well for trout. It feels like they're hitting them hard enough, maybe they suck less of the lure in on the initial bite than a white perch does?

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Rape Stink posted:

That sounds awful

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Rape Stink posted:

Sounds a bit like here. There's a program our fisheries authority runs called family fishing lakes where they stock a bunch of suburban lakes with rainbow trout for kids to catch but every single time as soon as word gets out about the stocking a hundred or so 'protein collectors' descend on the lake to catch them all to eat so the lake is pretty much cleaned out within a few days and thee's nothing left for the kids in the school holidays.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

This is a big noob question - I've only really caught a handful off Bass at this lake by my house and I'd like to know how you guys approach using new lures/baits? I swear to god all these fish care about is the watermelon worm on a dropshot. Other colors/shapes like a shad plastic on a jig head don't get any attention. Texas rigs gets nothing.

Should I keep at it with new ideas or are there only really a couple of strategies that work on Bass at a given lake?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

ROFLburger posted:

This is a big noob question - I've only really caught a handful off Bass at this lake by my house and I'd like to know how you guys approach using new lures/baits? I swear to god all these fish care about is the watermelon worm on a dropshot. Other colors/shapes like a shad plastic on a jig head don't get any attention. Texas rigs gets nothing.

Should I keep at it with new ideas or are there only really a couple of strategies that work on Bass at a given lake?

Natural Shad murders fish in my pond.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Fishing is maybe half science and a half voodoo. If you have found a lure that works and your goal is to "catch a bass" then keep on using it till it stops working. If your goal is more like "catch a bass on lure/presentation X to see if I can", then give us some more information and we can start suggesting stuff to try.

Inevitably, whatever your magic lure is will stop working due to seasonal changes or, if the pond is smaller, the bass starting to get wise to your tricks.

In general, you want to try to pay attention and lock in your memory exactly what you were doing with the lure the moment the bass hit it. They could be keying in on any number of small aspects of the presentation you are using, so by figuring out exactly what you were doing at the moment they make the decision to hit, you can take that and try to figure out what other presentations might work.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

If your goal is more like "catch a bass on lure/presentation X to see if I can", then give us some more information and we can start suggesting stuff to try.

My goal is to catch Bass and I'd like to learn any new lures or presentations, as I've only had success slowly trolling a worm on a dropshot. I'm stuck on the shore because I don't have a boat and the lake I fish at is still pretty warm (still high 80's, low 90's here). I have so little experience that I get pretty easily discouraged when a new color worm or a lure isn't working when I spend an afternoons after work (~1.5 hours) using it. Maybe I'll keep trying the plastic shad guys for a few more trips.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

ROFLburger posted:

My goal is to catch Bass and I'd like to learn any new lures or presentations, as I've only had success slowly trolling a worm on a dropshot. I'm stuck on the shore because I don't have a boat and the lake I fish at is still pretty warm (still high 80's, low 90's here). I have so little experience that I get pretty easily discouraged when a new color worm or a lure isn't working when I spend an afternoons after work (~1.5 hours) using it. Maybe I'll keep trying the plastic shad guys for a few more trips.

Ok, what kinda lure do you want to try? By shad plastic do you mean like something like this;

If so, then here are a few different ways to rig it. If the bass are hitting the dropshot when you are slowly dragging it along, then try to t-rig it without the weight. To keep the lure from breaking the surface you are going to have to retrieve it slow as poo poo, but if that is the speed they want, then it should work.

If you are still in the 80-90's air temp you water is still likely very warm, so the bass will be in a summer pattern. This means that they should like slower lures in the heat of the day and hit topwater in the morning/evening.

I would pick up a simple topwater lure to use right at dusk when you are about to call it quits. What power/action rod are you using? Once we know that we can recommend a specific lure.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Those are the plastic shad things that I'm using, 3" and 4". My rod is a medium/heavy fast action with a 10lb line. I have a topwater lure that I'll try tonight at dusk.

This is probably a dumb question, but without exposing the hook outside of the lure, is it much harder to set when you get a bite?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

ROFLburger posted:

Those are the plastic shad things that I'm using, 3" and 4". My rod is a medium/heavy fast action with a 10lb line. I have a topwater lure that I'll try tonight at dusk.

This is probably a dumb question, but without exposing the hook outside of the lure, is it much harder to set when you get a bite?

Not really, no. If you set the hook with a little force (easier with braid since you don't have to worry about line stretch) the soft plastics get out of the way easily enough. That's why Texas rigging is so effective.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

In addition to the shad rigs, definitely look into Ned rigs/Midwestern Finesse also. BongWizzard turned me on to it and it practically catches bass by accident.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

ROFLburger posted:

I am of the opinion that it is better to pick a few presentations and learn them well before going crazy will a million different ones. I immediately went crazy and it took me an year or so to settle down and get to the point where I could start catching.

Give your topwater a shot and play around with the shads, but if you are catching on a dropshot, then the best thing you can do really is pay attention to every detail other then the lure. Finding where the bass are holding is at times the hardest part in catching them. You have clearly found them, so the more you can learn about why you are catching them where you are and how you are, the easier time you will have picking a new presentation and figuring out how to make it work.

As to weedless vs open hook, in the strictest sense, yes, an open hook will give better hooksets, but in most reasonable situations it isnt a huge difference. But like if you are using a Light/ModFast rod to fish a 3" grub, an open hook is going to give you a far better chance of a good hookset over the same plastic t-rigged as that specific rod might be too soft/weak to reliably get the hook through the plastic.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

It was a bit of a grey old day on Westernport today but it didn't slow the fish down

Gummy shark #1 (dinner):

This one took a size 1 hook baited with a tiny bit of prawn on a 2-4kg rod. Just goes to show you don't need bit baits to catch decent fish.

Silver trevally (bait for a future trip):

Banjo shark aka rubbish. I let her go to annoy someone else

Gummy #2 (also dinner):

Tailor (also kept to be used as bait):

A cute and undersized gummy shark:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Man I wish our dogfish (your gummy shark) tasted good. I caught a decent sized one compared to yours, instantly slaughtered it and fried it up that evening. It had a very strong metallic after taste i couldn’t get over.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Man I wish our dogfish (your gummy shark) tasted good. I caught a decent sized one compared to yours, instantly slaughtered it and fried it up that evening. It had a very strong metallic after taste i couldn’t get over.

That’s mercury. Welcome to flavor town!

In all seriousness, when I’ve dealt with shark, I’ve treated it a lot like gamey meat: soak a bit in buttermilk or whole milk to get the urea/metallic flavor out, then rinse/bread/fry.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

That banjo shark looks kind of skate-y, are they not any good to eat or too much of a hassle to clean or something?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

the yeti posted:

That banjo shark looks kind of skate-y, are they not any good to eat or too much of a hassle to clean or something?

The wings are a lot stiffer and full of cartilage, the only edible part is the tail so you only get a couple of smallish fillets off a large one so it just isn't worth it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I just got back from a couple day work trip with no fishing stuff. It's currently 6:50am and just slightly above freezing.

gently caress it, it's walleye time in my fishing buddy's boat one last time. If I don't come back shortly to post about a haul of them, I'm going to be crushed in disappointment.

Edit: god drat skunked on walleyes. Just two poo poo gobys, a tiny perch, and an average smallmouth. All tossed back.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 29, 2017

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

:smith: Getting skunked is the worst. Do you do ice fishing at all up there? That's a sphere of fishing that I know hardly anything about, other than getting drunk in a shack watching hockey.

I have a date on the calendar for salmon in a coastal river on the peninsula. I'll be going for coho and chum to keep, but there might be chinook running in there too. I wouldn't be able to keep any of those, but I'd love to land one.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

:smith: Getting skunked is the worst. Do you do ice fishing at all up there? That's a sphere of fishing that I know hardly anything about, other than getting drunk in a shack watching hockey.

I have a date on the calendar for salmon in a coastal river on the peninsula. I'll be going for coho and chum to keep, but there might be chinook running in there too. I wouldn't be able to keep any of those, but I'd love to land one.

We should talk.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

It's hard to go fishing with my car in the shop. :smith:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Did anybody catch a fish this weekend?

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

I've been out to the lake near my house a bunch but haven't caught anything in a while :smith:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Did anybody catch a fish this weekend?

Nope, but caught a nice buzz trying Saturday morning. Shorter days kills my afterwork trips and winter is my time to make enough money to fund my warm-weather fishing time.

I did freak out Sunday and bought another fancy pants Japanese reel, the price was too good to resist.

A Dawia Ringa SSS, which is a factory variant of their Millionaire platform. It's been modified with a faster gear
set that allows it to use the common 34mm Dawia spools, which gives me compatibility with three other reels I already own. I picked it up for maybe half it's MSRP but the modification parts alone are worth another hundred bucks, so all in all I got a pretty screaming deal on it.

I'm going to use it for small to medium swim baits, once I figure out what rod I want to stick it on.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I didn’t make it out this weekend, but I did some reef fishing last weekend. Got some good sized yellowtail snapper and triggerfish and a personal best porgy. Also a couple big blue runners, which I eat even though everyone thinks it’s crazy (until they try it). Also caught a nice array of exotics and the largest grunt I’ve ever seen, all of which went back.

I also got yet another short mutton snapper. It remains my quest to finally catch one I can keep.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Hopefully I can grabs some weed before the weekend so I can do some cat fishing from the bank. I just can't do still fishing without having a bowl to stave off boredom. I don't know how those english carp guys do it. Any fishing that requires a rod holder and a chair doesn't do it for me.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Rape Stink posted:

Hopefully I can grabs some weed before the weekend so I can do some cat fishing from the bank. I just can't do still fishing without having a bowl to stave off boredom. I don't know how those english carp guys do it. Any fishing that requires a rod holder and a chair doesn't do it for me.

I'm pretty sure they drink gin. And yeah, there are carp sections in some of my books where they show a guy like sitting in a tent 20' away from where his rod was sitting on a holder. I'd love to fight a carp, but that doesn't really seem like fishing. I suppose I will be drunk when it happens if that's how you do it.

Also, what do you use for catfish bait?

Enigma posted:

I didn’t make it out this weekend, but I did some reef fishing last weekend. Got some good sized yellowtail snapper and triggerfish and a personal best porgy. Also a couple big blue runners, which I eat even though everyone thinks it’s crazy (until they try it). Also caught a nice array of exotics and the largest grunt I’ve ever seen, all of which went back.

I also got yet another short mutton snapper. It remains my quest to finally catch one I can keep.

Will you post a pic of what a porgy is to you? I have heard that name applied to like four species of fish, I think. And I'm hella jealous of the variety of stuff that you are catching!

bongwizzard posted:

Nope, but caught a nice buzz trying Saturday morning. Shorter days kills my afterwork trips and winter is my time to make enough money to fund my warm-weather fishing time.

I did freak out Sunday and bought another fancy pants Japanese reel, the price was too good to resist.

A Dawia Ringa SSS, which is a factory variant of their Millionaire platform. It's been modified with a faster gear
set that allows it to use the common 34mm Dawia spools, which gives me compatibility with three other reels I already own. I picked it up for maybe half it's MSRP but the modification parts alone are worth another hundred bucks, so all in all I got a pretty screaming deal on it.

I'm going to use it for small to medium swim baits, once I figure out what rod I want to stick it on.

Holy poo poo dude, I want to hear about that reel when you get some experience with it. I'm a bitch who is intimidated by casting reels.

I'm going to try to catch salmon on Saturday. The limit is six (loving lol), but I just want one to take home. I'll take six, too, but you know.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Will you post a pic of what a porgy is to you? I have heard that name applied to like four species of fish, I think. And I'm hella jealous of the variety of stuff that you are catching!
There are a bunch of different species, but they all generally have the same body shape. I didn't get a photo of mine since my phone was on the fritz, but a few of the varieties can be seen here (scroll down to "porgy"):

https://www.floridagofishing.com/species/species-saltwater.html

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

Also, what do you use for catfish bait?

I've never found anything that works better than fresh cut sunnies for catfish bait. Those fuckers will basically eat anything that can even remotely be considered meat though -- hotdogs, spam, slimjims, whatever, they aren't picky eaters. You can use a big fuckoff circle hook too, since they don't seem to have any hook shyness. They just smell something with a fleshy stink and shove it in their mouths.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Hey bong do you ever make it up to Boston? I'd love to fish with you.

Or anyone else here who seems non-molesty I guess

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo dude, I want to hear about that reel when you get some experience with it. I'm a bitch who is intimidated by casting reels.

Yea, I am not sure what to expect. I have been reading up on round reels as I wanted to try one out, but was nowhere near ready to buy. But then this one popped up and the spool compatibility pushed me over the edge. I also know that if I took a like $50 loss I could sell it instantly, so I am willing to roll the dice a little.

Baitcasters are easy mode now. The Tatula SV is well under $200 on ebay and is, by all accounts, an amazingly easy casting reel. It gives up distance for control, but fishing from the bank you would want control over distance in any case.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iuTkM5Cm1E

As a side note, coming up soon is Black Friday. Most of the big online tackle places have crazy sales, TackleWarehouse in specific has like a storewide 20% off sale. A bunch of brands are "excluded", but if you call them before you confirm the order they will give you the 20% off, it is something about distributor agreements about minimum advertised pricing. In any case, the sales for fishing stuff are still great and there are always amazing deals to be had.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Any recommendations on fishing backpacks? Bass Pro Shop had a few but none of them really moved the needle

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

ROFLburger posted:

Any recommendations on fishing backpacks? Bass Pro Shop had a few but none of them really moved the needle

Do you have specific needs in a fishing backpack? I use my old one from school when I'm shore fishing. It only needs to hold stuff, and if you find that you're carrying a bunch of stuff with you that you don't use, stop bringing it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have tried and sold a few fishing packs and have come to the conclusion that a basic rei brand daypack is going to be more comfortable then any fishing pack. If you are more on the minimalist side of things then there are a ton of fly fishing slings and hip pack out there, but you will be limited in space.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
Holy crap, I actually have a fish to post! I haven't been able to fish much, my wife has been working a lot on the weekends. I haven't really been hitting the river by my office either because there are just too many tweakers out there, soooo I went out to the bay today before lunch and caught my first spotty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Solid hookup.