Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Asehujiko posted:

Are the preorder missions ever going to be released to us plebs who have to wait for their paycheck before buying the game? Parkouring around in Old Kingdom sites sounded interesting.

ubisof usually does a release of them a few weeks after launch

Kopijeger posted:

That's outside the map. The VoK is near Luxor, and the map doesn't extend significantly beyond Fayum.

now I can't raid King Tuts tomb :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

His finger amputation :allears:

Yea, that's the point I got to when I posted that. I agree with everyone about his character, I love that he's just some idiot, like your neighborhood dad :( just trying to get revenge.

And right now before that part his wife sends him off with their wrist knife and she has to move his hand out of the way for it to deploy. As he's leaving she knows she'll be lucky to have him come back with both hands

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Anyone on PC able to confirm if cranking down the textures frees up the video memory for everything else (like in shadow of war) or is it generally a mix of things that impacts performance?

I'm trying to decide if it's worth the effort to get this on PC or just cave and fork out the extra bucks for the ps4 version.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

KramFoot posted:

So something that doesnt seem to pop up is that you can change bayeks hair and beard. If you go to the gear part of the menu and then hit these buttons:
Ps4( R2 + Triangle for beard, L2 + Triangle for hair.)
Xbox is ( RT + Y and LT + Y)

If anyone can figure out how to do this with M&KB that'd be great.

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

Deakul posted:

If anyone can figure out how to do this with M&KB that'd be great.

Whatever you have for power attack and bow aim + the interact key would be my guess, since that's what those are on the controller.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Refried Hero posted:

Whatever you have for power attack and bow aim + the interact key would be my guess, since that's what those are on the controller.

That's a negative! :negative:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

uh what the gently caress happened after the first assassination? that was so confusing

Orv
May 4, 2011

blue squares posted:

uh what the gently caress happened after the first assassination? that was so confusing

Stylistic choices!

It's fuckin' weird.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Orv posted:

Stylistic choices!

It's fuckin' weird.

i kinda like it enough.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh I do too. I like that they've finally given up on the whole assassination chats being anything other than exposition buffers and just gone full fever dream.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Deakul posted:

Today Ubisoft announced a really loving cool sounding Discovery Tour Mode. It's gonna be a free update, at some point in 2018, that allows players to explore and learn about Egypt at their own pace without engaging with the games combat and main content.

http://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-origins-discovery-tour-shows-different-side-ancient-egypt/

They have also announced the Hieroglyphs Initiative, a real research project aiming to translate ancient hieroglyphs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfdWNY7priQ
https://hieroglyphicsinitiative.ubisoft.com/en-GB/home

They're turning into an irl Abstergo.

After hearing about this game lately, this is the exact thing I wanted, to walk around Egypt. The game stuff is fine but it's my favorite historical setting by a nile (lol).

Has anyone tried this mode and formed an opinion?

e - I cant read, coming in 2018

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I liked it but I didn't get why I suddenly seemed to be holding the apple and then warped away instead of having to escape

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

blue squares posted:

I liked it but I didn't get why I suddenly seemed to be holding the apple and then warped away instead of having to escape

:catdrugs:

JuHoZ
May 13, 2009
After 12 hours, its like witcher had sex with assassins creed. The combat has clearly been revamped and is better than ever. Being an egyptian sheriff rules.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the AI seems a lot more dynamic and interesting in this game. I was just chilling flying around with the hawk and watched a crocodile stalk a soldier who was cruising in a boat, then corner the boat and bash into it until it was destroyed, then eat the soldier after he fell in the water. the crocodile was much lower level than the soldier too

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

the AI seems a lot more dynamic and interesting in this game. I was just chilling flying around with the hawk and watched a crocodile stalk a soldier who was cruising in a boat, then corner the boat and bash into it until it was destroyed, then eat the soldier after he fell in the water. the crocodile was much lower level than the soldier too

Try dropping a body near the water.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

I want my beard and hair back guys, but PC

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

30 minutes until my download hits playable state :f5:.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Funny thing: Aya keeps her chest wrap on while bathing with Bayek. Later they both are suddenly wearing underwear after a night of passion. Looks silly, but fairly typical of games shying away from nudity while retaining violence. Yet you occasionally find a topless woman hanging around temples and such? Why the inconsistency? It's not like Ubisoft haven't had nudity in other game series like Far Cry or Watch Dogs, so it is difficult to see why AC shouldn't have it as well.

Skulleye
Jul 31, 2004
I had real inconsistent performance on all different levels of graphic settings. What works best for me is this:

Everything on highest (tried lowest as well, same results)
V-sync on
FPS limit to 45

This gives me 45 FPS everywhere but the cities
Cities forces it down to 30 FPS

At least it doesn't jump around so much anymore. Hoping for a patch to remove the inconsistency.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Played a couple hours, question for people who are further in: Do the upgrades and abilities make stealth have a point again later in the game? Because right now it seems like a complete waste of time. High level enemies? Stealth attacks are not instakill and you end up in combat anyway. Normal level enemies? Pushovers anyway so just roll right in.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

GhostDog posted:

Played a couple hours, question for people who are further in: Do the upgrades and abilities make stealth have a point again later in the game? Because right now it seems like a complete waste of time. High level enemies? Stealth attacks are not instakill and you end up in combat anyway. Normal level enemies? Pushovers anyway so just roll right in.

Do you have the hidden blade yet? Once you do, you can start upgrading it to raise your stealth attack damage. And in large bases, if you aggro everyone without being at least a little careful, they'll probably just shoot you to death.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

corn in the bible posted:

Do you have the hidden blade yet? Once you do, you can start upgrading it to raise your stealth attack damage. And in large bases, if you aggro everyone without being at least a little careful, they'll probably just shoot you to death.

The guys with the heavy clubs also seem to stay a fairly consistent threat from my experience.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

corn in the bible posted:

Alright, good to hear. And no, I don't have the blade yet, I'm only just about to leave the starting area.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I need to know since its not on 'play anywhere', should I get it on x box 1 or pc, to play at 1080 res. I just got a modestly decent PC, these are the specs

i5-6600k
16 gig ram
ssd (does this matter for gaming)

I've been looking at some pc performance vids and it looks like my (non overclocked) CPU would be a bottleneck? But nothing I found directly compares my specs to consoles.

Anyway, input appreciated.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Mokinokaro posted:

The guys with the heavy clubs also seem to stay a fairly consistent threat from my experience.

And hoooooooly poo poo the Phylake.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Did they remove the battle arenas from the game? I remember the lead developer hyping the poo poo out of them a few months ago. I have two assassination targets left and haven't come across one yet.

DLC I guess?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Castor Poe posted:

Did they remove the battle arenas from the game? I remember the lead developer hyping the poo poo out of them a few months ago. I have two assassination targets left and haven't come across one yet.

DLC I guess?

Evidently you have to unlock them by doing particular sidequests

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
my uplay name is doctoriono if any of you wanna add me

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

ShakeZula posted:

Yeah there's a bunch of little things tied to sidequests.

So, is there any constant source of income like the previous games or is it all random looting/quest rewards?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Got a couple of before i buy questions:

1: Microtransactions. Is the game overtly grindy to push you to spend money on the in game shop?
2: Size of download?
3: Does combat feel good and fluid? Are enemies "bulletsponges"?
4: Is stealth still a big part and do you still actually assassinate people? I saw someone shoot a enemy in the head with a bow and he didn't die which feels a bit dumb, but i understand they are trying something new here.
5: Can you turn off the WoW style damage numbers?
6: Is the ambient music good?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Dongattack posted:

1: Microtransactions. Is the game overtly grindy to push you to spend money on the in game shop?
4: Is stealth still a big part and do you still actually assassinate people? I saw someone shoot a enemy in the head with a bow and he didn't die which feels a bit dumb, but i understand they are trying something new here.

1: No.
2: About 50gbs
3: It's a little janky and takes some getting used to but it's at a point where it's drat satisfying for me now.
4: Yeah, you can still totally assassinate people, it's relatively unchanged from past games, just have to keep up with leveling your hidden blade once you get it.
5: Yep.
6: It's really beautiful, I just wish it kicked in more often.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dongattack posted:

1. No. You can buy some semi rare weapons but they are all leveled to you and you constantly stumble across good weapons. 2. About 40 something. 3. Yeah it’s fun and solid, and most enemies aren’t sponges to most weapons. 4. Yes you can. 5. Yes you can. 6. It’s really good.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dongattack posted:

1. Not particularly. The Helix shop has a lot of cosmetic stuff (special skins that give no actual benefit like making your horse a unicorn or dressing you up like a mummy), cool looking equipment, resource packs if you feel like skipping to upgrade equipment, or map packs that sell the locations of some of the more lucrative spots in the game. None of the equipment is really OP and there's plenty of stuff in game that can replace it. Resource packs are a QOL skip thing and are used strictly for permanent upgrades to your character (more ammo, health, extra damage). The maps really just immediately identify undiscovered locations to the special ones so you can go there immediately, or you can find them as you explore. In all honesty, the only reason I remember the store exists is A) I keep wanting to dress him up as a mummy but then I remember I have a cat outfit and B) you get there by pressing "Right" on the D-pad during pause.
2. Can't remember
3. Yeah, its very Darks Soulsy/Witcher 3 hitbox based. It won't play like the prior games/Arkham/Shadows of Mordor/Shadows of War. Enemies have levels and as such can be sponges if they overlevel you too much, but you can ID their level by aiming at them and the game also gives an indicator on how much damage you're actually able to do.
4. Stealth is as big as a part as you want to make it, its a lot more freeform. You also play as the first assassin, so in the early game you don't have a hidden blade. Regarding headshots, since its level based you will likely oneshot anyone with headshot commensurate to your level, but you may run into issues with signiifcantly higher levels.
5. Yes it's an option.
6. It's an Assasin's Creed game, of course it's good.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

ShakeZula posted:

Ugh, time to plow through my quest log I guess :negative:

Edit: Oh wow, those desert hallucinations. Pretty sure I just saw Moses.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Thank you! I'm getting it.

Edit: 34.6 GB for the download

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 28, 2017

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
This game is stupidly big. If you are going to ask "When do I get to X thing" just wait. It all comes up eventually, but this game is so loving big it just takes time to get there.

Stealth is extremely powerful in this game, because even levelled enemies can still kill you in open combat if you're not careful. Check what items you need to upgrade your hidden blade once you get it, and just focus on that and your chest piece (for health) if you want to be a desert ghost who kills everything.

Manxome Foe fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 28, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

drat, this is not only an insanely good AC game, it's a great game, period. They should have given it the number 5 in the title because they basically rethought the AC formula from scratch, I'm loving this.

poo poo, remember when you played AC1 for the first time when it released (I'm not counting playing the game after the sequels) and it felt like this is something special? This is this feeling again, back to the roots but somehow everything is also new.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 29, 2017

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So I'm liking this game a lot. It's rather charming, and it's new/different systems feel clunky and janky but not at all in a discouraging way.

In fact I'm only having one slight hurdle, and it was the strength of the 2(a,b, and c) and 3: combat.

I can do up to 1-3 people in combat without sweating it much...but certain scenarios (like vengeance) calls for 6-8 plus where 75% of the enemies will just ruthlessly pelt you with arrows while 1-2 brawl you up front.

And more than thrice now I've had roving bands of horse patrols aggro me--and I don't just mean on the roads while I'm in combat. I was sneaking to a remote bandit camp connected to nowhere and I just get loving bee-lined, pelted, and swiped at. Like Unidad from GR:Wildlands, they just cause a stink, hurt you extra, and provide no purpose other than to harass you and kick your plans in the trash.

What I'm asking for, I guess, is a counter to these fools, especially the horse ambushers. I was sneak-walking along the dunes when they showed up and rained arrow-death on me. I had nowhere to run or hide. Is the only counter tools? Spears? Or is there something I'm missing?

I'm playing on Normal, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Morter posted:

So I'm liking this game a lot. It's rather charming, and it's new/different systems feel clunky and janky but not at all in a discouraging way.

In fact I'm only having one slight hurdle, and it was the strength of the 2(a,b, and c) and 3: combat.

I can do up to 1-3 people in combat without sweating it much...but certain scenarios (like vengeance) calls for 6-8 plus where 75% of the enemies will just ruthlessly pelt you with arrows while 1-2 brawl you up front.

And more than thrice now I've had roving bands of horse patrols aggro me--and I don't just mean on the roads while I'm in combat. I was sneaking to a remote bandit camp connected to nowhere and I just get loving bee-lined, pelted, and swiped at. Like Unidad from GR:Wildlands, they just cause a stink, hurt you extra, and provide no purpose other than to harass you and kick your plans in the trash.

What I'm asking for, I guess, is a counter to these fools, especially the horse ambushers. I was sneak-walking along the dunes when they showed up and rained arrow-death on me. I had nowhere to run or hide. Is the only counter tools? Spears? Or is there something I'm missing?

I'm playing on Normal, by the way.

Get a good shield that has good arrow resistance and you can just block all their arrows by defending while you run up to them and murder them.