Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I don't want to venture into IYG, so I'll ask here: How do Roku/FireStick/AppleTV/Chromecast work? Where does the television programming come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Different digital suppliers.

I have both an amazon fire, and a roku. I have Plex (content from a server/PC I have with downloaded shows, presented in a Netflix-style frontend) and Netflix installed on both. The Amazon Fire can also access Amazon Prime Video content, as well as ABC/Fox/Showtime content, and Hulu if I subscribed. The ABC content is/was free. The Disney content is only accessible with either a separate monthly subscription, or you log in using a dish or cable subscription login (which is BS). Pretty much any "live" streaming content requires a regular cable or sat subscription.

A chromecast does this, but through your phone or tablet IIRC. The Chromecast is just a video forwarder, essentially.

99.9% of our usage is Netflix and Plex.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Dagen H posted:

I don't want to venture into IYG, so I'll ask here: How do Roku/FireStick/AppleTV/Chromecast work? Where does the television programming come from?

There are truly "free" channels and then lots of network specific channels that offer some free content, but mostly you still need a subscription to Netflix/Amazon/Sling/Hulu (not all of them just what you prefer)

Edit: Roku does Amazon prime just fine too, I prefer Roku but the Fire Stick is a fine product just not my preference

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yes, I know. But that's a lot more than I'd expect, I'd peg it more like 5-6000 Yen.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It was like 100 bucks at the time, so yeah huge profit margins. Bottles half the size were going for more money than that on the Japanese market so it was still a great deal for them, but the military started cracking down hard on it so I stopped doing it.
Wow, I think it was under a couple of thousand yen for a "normal" 700ml bottle of JD when I was last there.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Yes, I know. But that's a lot more than I'd expect, I'd peg it more like 5-6000 Yen.

Wow, I think it was under a couple of thousand yen for a "normal" 700ml bottle of JD when I was last there.

Could be, back then it was ridiculous and a lot of the Japanese whiskey was just as good imo so I didn't understand all the fuss about it. It was probably more of an image thing, if you you had JD American whiskey you were cool. A roommate of mine sold a pair of his old Levis for crazy money to a Japanese thrift store because anything American was all the rage.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Dagen H posted:

I have a firestick, apple TV and a chromecast. For TV we have Directv now and amazon prime. If I had to pay for a device I would suggest a fire stick especially if you have amazon prime. Out of the ones we have it seems to be the most capable device.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Could be, back then it was ridiculous and a lot of the Japanese whiskey was just as good imo so I didn't understand all the fuss about it. It was probably more of an image thing, if you you had JD American whiskey you were cool. A roommate of mine sold a pair of his old Levis for crazy money to a Japanese thrift store because anything American was all the rage.

<is any american bar>
<buys handles of Jack Daniels for $6>
<sells shots of Jack Daniels for $5>

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

rdb posted:

I have a firestick, apple TV and a chromecast. For TV we have Directv now and amazon prime. If I had to pay for a device I would suggest a fire stick especially if you have amazon prime. Out of the ones we have it seems to be the most capable device.

The fire stick we have is solid as a rock. It's the last generation before the 4k ones.

I think once, ONCE like a year ago an update broke plex but we deleted plex and reinstalled and it's all good.

The Roku is flaming garbage but it's in the kid's room and I put it on an old 720p-only TV so it doesn't crash as often. In 1080p it chugged like a mofo.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 28, 2017

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Can my 3Mbps DSL handle it?

E: I think it's actually supposed to be 6Mbps, but Centurylink

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 28, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Dagen H posted:

Can my 3Mbps DSL handle it?

I too have 3Mbps DSL, and yes it can handle streaming. Not 1080p but the lower quality (720,480) stuff works fine.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
We are paying ~$100/mo. for DirecTV (programming + equipment fees), so the same package for $50/mo. from DirecTV NOW looks like pretty good deal.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Someone broke into my house this morning. Pried a window open, set off the alarm. Alarm set off neighborhood dogs. Dogs set off neighbors who got a good description of burglar and getaway vehicle.

Nothing missing, window repaired.

Who breaks into a well armed, highly visible house in broad daylight?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Dagen H posted:

We are paying ~$100/mo. for DirecTV (programming + equipment fees), so the same package for $50/mo. from DirecTV NOW looks like pretty good deal.

If you can tolerate a slight drop in image quality and the bandwidth usage it is worth it. I signed up last year when they offered the free appleTV and go big for $35 a month. It was really lovely at first and dropped out constantly. They gradually improved the service to the point where it now feels like any other cable TV. Plus the login info works for network sites so there is a lot of on demand content.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I'm a big fan of the Roku box. Had one for like 2 years now and never had a single issue with it. Streams great, never had it chug, loose connections, etc.
I do wish it had a built in web browser, but otherwise it's pretty solid.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I have the new Apple TV and I just sign in with my cable provider in the system settings and it tells me what apps are available to me to download that I can watch shows on, then it signs me in after downloading the app

It’s pretty nice to not have to sign in a million times and the voice rec is good

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Finally got my Kenwood installed in the Ford and oh my god I forgot about driving with actual good music. First Pandora song was Shine On You Crazy Diamond, then straight into All Along The Watchtower. Fuckin owns.

Fake edit: and now Shoot To Thrill, how the gently caress am I supposed to shut this off and go into the grocery store?

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 28, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Goober Peas posted:

Someone broke into my house this morning. Pried a window open, set off the alarm. Alarm set off neighborhood dogs. Dogs set off neighbors who got a good description of burglar and getaway vehicle.

Nothing missing, window repaired.

Meth.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Or extreme homophobes.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Goober Peas posted:

Addicts.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I don't want to necro a thread from last year to ask so did the DV Viper saga end happily?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Dislike button posted:

I don't want to necro a thread from last year to ask so did the DV Viper saga end happily?

If by happily, you mean "another wrecked Viper," then yes.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

[e] this was in the early 90's and I was like 20 yrs old at the time, young and dumb. Had fun tho.

Young, dumb and full of... fun

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slothrop posted:

Young, dumb and full of... fun

Kinda regret focusing on partying "fun" when I wasn't working tho, missed out on a lot of cool poo poo I could have done while I was there. Lots of opportunity squandered to explore the country.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
And Bambili 2: Electric Boogaloo puts me back on top at the work chili cook-off. Hundred bucks in the pocket. Feels good to be back in the winner's circle.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

And Bambili 2: Electric Boogaloo puts me back on top at the work chili cook-off. Hundred bucks in the pocket. Feels good to be back in the winner's circle.

But is it good enough for Iron Chef Something Awful?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Dagen H posted:

But is it good enough for Iron Chef Something Awful?

Knowing goons, I'll just be told to go gently caress myself for putting beans in it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Knowing goons, I'll just be told to go gently caress myself for putting beans in it.

Half would say that. The Great Bean Debate is right up there with the Ketchup Chronicles and Steak Grilling Procedures for the amount of time, effort, and waste of energy people will pour into debating on stuff that turns into heat and poo poo.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

KakerMix posted:

Steak Grilling Procedures

Why would you grill a steak? There are better ways to achieve perfect well-doneness.

VVV Exactly

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Dagen H posted:

Why would you grill a steak? There are better ways to achieve perfect well-doneness.

Microwaves, for one

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Or microwaves mom

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

KakerMix posted:

Half would say that. The Great Bean Debate is right up there with the Ketchup Chronicles and Steak Grilling Procedures for the amount of time, effort, and waste of energy people will pour into debating on stuff that turns into heat and poo poo.

And then half would be amazed the other half wipe sitting down to take said poo poo.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

KakerMix posted:

Well said. People get way too fired up over that poo poo. I like beans so I put them in my chili. Some people don't. That's cool too.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I tried to make chicken jerky last night and I hosed up the setting on my dehydrator and it turned into chicken pemmican. I mean I know the food I'm gonna store for the apocalypse now, as you throw any hot water at it and it turns back into chicken broth or stew, and weighs about a tenth of the original, but dang, I wanted something to nibble on tonight.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Dagen H posted:

VVV Exactly

Why would you microwave a steak? You just wave it in the general direction of a flame and then eat it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Fermented Tinal posted:

Why would you microwave a steak? You just wave it in the general direction of a flame and then eat it.

Tastes good with ketchup that way

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Eh, I used to do ketchup, now just salt and pepper.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Dislike button posted:

Pretty sure it got stuffed into a ditch/wall at the hands of someone not experienced with that level of power. I don’t think it was totaled.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I'm going to see Pennywise tonight!

I am getting old

Been listening to some poo poo I haven't listened to for YEARS. MxPx: For when you absolutely, positively must fit 32 songs on a single CD.

oh and I finally have a use for the earplus that I got from last years AISS!!

I am getting really old

slothrop fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 29, 2017

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

slothrop posted:

Been listening to some poo poo I haven't listened to for YEARS. MxPx: For when you absolutely, positively must fit 32 songs on a single CD.

Pfft, you need a particular band for that? Look at this scrub who never learned about 32kbps mp3s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fermented Tinal posted:

Eh, I used to do ketchup, now just salt and pepper.

Just today I stirred a shitload of ketchup into my Kraft mac n cheese, wouldn't eat it any other way.

Ketchup rules, especially Trader Joe's ketchup.

• Locked thread