Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Aithon posted:

Who better to draw like Greek statues than literal statues.

I read the synopsis and I still don't understand anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

[quote="“Pastry of the Year”" post="“477815128”"]
We’ve received some viewer feedback on our Tech Talk segment on the popular computer game program, Over Watch. Brenda?

Thanks, Brian. What I meant to say was, there are women in the game with gigantic asses. I believe that’s the style at this time. Brian?

It sure is, but you don’t need me to

Oh stop it

Is this a private party or can

Speaking of watching over

That’s Overwatch, Brian.

Here’s our own “over watcher,” Brad, with the regional forecast. Brad?

Ha ha well after seeing the watchover gals strut their stuff against the android army, I wouldn’t say there’s any danger of cold fronts coming in from the south! Ha ha but overnight lows are looking at about 48 so come on, bring your pets in.
[/quote]

good bit hey

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
In Mount Your Friends Coin Grab mode, the Coin also hangs mad dong

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I liked a bunch of Falcom/XSEED games, so it took me forever to get Steam to believe that I wasn't interested in most RPG maker games or anime girl text adventures. I'm worried DDLC would confuse it all over again, so I'll check out an LP or somethin.

As a little thing I like, one Falcom game Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky has a super elegent magic, 'materia-like' system. There are 7 colors/elements, and the actual gem that you equip ("Quartz") will have an overt affect on your character - e.g. defense up, attack up, accuracy up, petrify-on-hit, etc etc. Each quartz has a color value, and so by adding up the combined quartz you have of various colors, it determines what magic your character can cast. Attack 1 might have a value of RED-1, and Attack 2 might have RED-3. A weak fire spell might require just 1 Red point, and an AOE fire spell might need some red and green points to become available, as one example.

It works out really well, because your fighter characters can benefit from a lot of varied bonuses, which will result, likely, in more color variety - but weaker spells. You caster though, if you want the strongest spells, you might have to just load up on say, Blue and Black quartz to get the strongest blue or black spells - but they will not have the benefit of the bonuses other colors provide. It's just really slick, if a bit daunting at first - and forces specialization in your party.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Captain Lavender posted:

I liked a bunch of Falcom/XSEED games, so it took me forever to get Steam to believe that I wasn't interested in most RPG maker games or anime girl text adventures. I'm worried DDLC would confuse it all over again, so I'll check out an LP or somethin.

As a little thing I like, one Falcom game Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky has a super elegent magic, 'materia-like' system. There are 7 colors/elements, and the actual gem that you equip ("Quartz") will have an overt affect on your character - e.g. defense up, attack up, accuracy up, petrify-on-hit, etc etc. Each quartz has a color value, and so by adding up the combined quartz you have of various colors, it determines what magic your character can cast. Attack 1 might have a value of RED-1, and Attack 2 might have RED-3. A weak fire spell might require just 1 Red point, and an AOE fire spell might need some red and green points to become available, as one example.

It works out really well, because your fighter characters can benefit from a lot of varied bonuses, which will result, likely, in more color variety - but weaker spells. You caster though, if you want the strongest spells, you might have to just load up on say, Blue and Black quartz to get the strongest blue or black spells - but they will not have the benefit of the bonuses other colors provide. It's just really slick, if a bit daunting at first - and forces specialization in your party.

There's a non steam version

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

You guys are all really concerned about what other people will think of your game playing habbits.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Len posted:

You guys are all really concerned about what other people will think of your game playing habbits.

How else do you judge people you don't know? By their beliefs? By their words? By their actions? No! By their spending habits. To do otherwise is un-American.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Len posted:

It's more so that I couldn't open the steam store without getting nothing but those recommendations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Anime VNs poisoned my discovery queue and recommendations for a long time despite never owning any. It’s just because they’re popular. Luckily you can excise certain tags from discovery so I don’t have that to worry about now that I got DDLC.

You should actually play DDLC.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 22:14 on Oct 28, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Captain Lavender posted:

It's more so that I couldn't open the steam store without getting nothing but those recommendations.

Then...ignore them. Nobody else is gonna see em and evantually theyll go away.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

RyokoTK posted:

You should actually play DDLC.

Well, I took your advice...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

I'm guessing that the creator has some pretty personal experience with depression.
Sayori's story, and especially the poem about bottles of happiness, really hit home for me. Like brutally hard. My ex suffers from incredibly intense depression and so much of what I was reading there was absolutely in line with my experiences with her. And all of the signs were there in relation to Sayori, but at then end of the day you're powerless to help.

It's probably because there's a personal aspect to it, but that first half of the game made me think, and made me uncomfortable, and I'm glad that I played it.

Seriously: to anyone who hasn't played it or whatever, it'll take you a couple of hours at most, but give it a playthrough. Read the dialogue, even though 95% of it is anime visual novel crap, because a bunch of it really contextualises what happens when poo poo Gets Real.

nael
Sep 10, 2009
Finally finished Wolfenstein 2. In the final mission When you assassinate Engel during her interview, If you turn toward the audience, they are all cardboard cutouts and their reactions are canned sound effects

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Breetai posted:

Well, I took your advice...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

I'm guessing that the creator has some pretty personal experience with depression.
Sayori's story, and especially the poem about bottles of happiness, really hit home for me. Like brutally hard. My ex suffers from incredibly intense depression and so much of what I was reading there was absolutely in line with my experiences with her. And all of the signs were there in relation to Sayori, but at then end of the day you're powerless to help.

It's probably because there's a personal aspect to it, but that first half of the game made me think, and made me uncomfortable, and I'm glad that I played it.

Seriously: to anyone who hasn't played it or whatever, it'll take you a couple of hours at most, but give it a playthrough. Read the dialogue, even though 95% of it is anime visual novel crap, because a bunch of it really contextualises what happens when poo poo Gets Real.

Yeah, the game's relying on you kinda half-reading the dialogue in order to slip dire foreshadowing straight past you.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Somfin posted:

Yeah, the game's relying on you kinda half-reading the dialogue in order to slip dire foreshadowing straight past you.

In a way I kinda wish that the game didn't veer off into meta 4th-wall breaking reality bending territory, because it could almost function just as well as a straight story about depression and how it goes unnoticed. Like, a game that disguises itself as this cookie-cutter dumb anime dating/relationships simulator, only there are all of these signs that there are things going on under the surface, would be fascinating. Like, if you played it straight like a dating sim it would keep the facade up until one (or more) of the characters suicided, had a breakdown, or some other tragic consequence, but if you paid attention to what was going on you could actually help them rather than just obliviously macking on them.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Breetai posted:

In a way I kinda wish that the game didn't veer off into meta 4th-wall breaking reality bending territory, because it could almost function just as well as a straight story about depression and how it goes unnoticed. Like, a game that disguises itself as this cookie-cutter dumb anime dating/relationships simulator, only there are all of these signs that there are things going on under the surface, would be fascinating. Like, if you played it straight like a dating sim it would keep the facade up until one (or more) of the characters suicided, had a breakdown, or some other tragic consequence, but if you paid attention to what was going on you could actually help them rather than just obliviously macking on them.

I'm conflicted because I feel like then it'd play more like a traditional dating sim, where you just had to choose the "right" dialouge choices.
But the second wave of the game gets so over the top it feels like it pulls attention away from the actual parts that made me feel nervous and dread.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm conflicted because I feel like then it'd play more like a traditional dating sim, where you just had to choose the "right" dialouge choices.
But the second wave of the game gets so over the top it feels like it pulls attention away from the actual parts that made me feel nervous and dread.

I think that's kind of the point, though. In any other VN game, they'd be setting up mental illness as a villain to be vanquished, something that you can just force past with sufficient love. It'd be fetishised and tragedised and most likely cured by a dramatic kiss at the right moment.

TDLC is far more concerned about the artificiality and lovely reductionism inherent in creating a game world full of hot chicks who all wanna bone the player, and then also making their lives terrible for the sake of drama. It plays what a seriously depressed character would be going through to the hilt, then does the same with obsession, and you can tell that it "was" about to do the same for whatever the gently caress is happening with the pink-haired girl's dad before the one pulling the strings decides to say gently caress it and just drop her out of the gameworld too. And then after destroying everything that character is still so motivated by wanting to bone the player that even after the player straight-up murders her to death she tries to get back on the player's good side by not being there anymore, but she can't handle that and doesn't let it get far before she just tears it all apart and throws you to the credits. Which she starts deleting out of spite.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
"Haha, you really left her hanging there!"

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Breetai posted:

At first I felt the same way, because the middle third of the game is so intense that the back third felt a little lame in comparison, since I thought it was just trying to be weird for the sake of itself.

But a couple days later I've concluded that Monika is a pretty interesting antagonist and the time you spend with her in the back third is actually really cool, it's just more of a... like, science-fiction bent rather than grim psych horror.

I think you can also read it the way Somfin does, like a deconstruction of the genre, and that's interesting too. But my point is that although I did agree with you at first, I think it really does improve the overall story, since it's not a story about mental illness, it's a story about a vile manipulative self-aware anime girl and how she's really the one you should be dating, and isn't that what you're playing an anime dating sim for? Plus I think Somfin above is reading depression the right way --
a story about depression probably can't end in a satisfying way, since you either help Sayori "beat" it (which is not really how it works); or you don't and she's still depressed at the end, which just makes for a dissatisfying conclusion to a story.
A story about another character antagonizing you can go in a lot of ways.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 13:13 on Oct 29, 2017

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

RyokoTK posted:

At first I felt the same way, because the middle third of the game is so intense that the back third felt a little lame in comparison, since I thought it was just trying to be weird for the sake of itself.

But a couple days later I've concluded that Monika is a pretty interesting antagonist and the time you spend with her in the back third is actually really cool, it's just more of a... like, science-fiction bent rather than grim psych horror.

I think you can also read it the way Somfin does, like a deconstruction of the genre, and that's interesting too. But my point is that although I did agree with you at first, I think it really does improve the overall story, since it's not a story about mental illness, it's a story about a vile manipulative self-aware anime girl and how she's really the one you should be dating, and isn't that what you're playing an anime dating sim for? Plus I think Somfin above is reading depression the right way --
a story about depression probably can't end in a satisfying way, since you either help Sayori "beat" it (which is not really how it works); or you don't and she's still depressed at the end, which just makes for a dissatisfying conclusion to a story.
A story about another character antagonizing you can go in a lot of ways.

Honestly, you're probably right from a more objective standpoint: I think that I'm probably focussed more on the scene in the bedroom where she tells you about her depression and says things that honestly could have come straight out of the mouth of someone I cared about, as well as the poem about the bottles (same deal), because of its relevance to my own life, and so that's why that particular aspect of the game resonates with me so much. I'm definitely not saying that the 'twist' of NG+ is bad, far from it; it's an effectively used narrative device, and the file fuckery is amazing.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Breetai posted:

I don’t play a lot of VNs (and never actually played a dating sim) so this is mostly secondhand knowledge, but from what I understand dark stuff like that is actually really typical in many VN. Admittedly, It’s usually done in an attempt to be edgy or dramatic and is thus handled pretty sloppily. Its the meta stuff that sets DDLC apart from those.

That said I thought it was kinda disappointing that she didn’t really have depression and it was just Monika messing with her mind. I guess it’s sorta implies that she already had depression and Monika made it worse? I dunno.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Zinkraptor posted:

That said I thought it was kinda disappointing that she didn't really have depression and it was just Monika messing with her mind. I guess it's sorta implies that she already had depression and Monika made it worse? I dunno.

I took it that Monika was deliberately worsening her existing depression, probably just by talking to her; but in playthrough 2 she's actually messing with Natsuki and Yuri's character files and scripts and exaggerating their own conditions. But I also understood it that the character traits like Sayori's depression or Yuri's self-harm are basically just stats on their character sheets that, since Monika can read and edit, is able to exploit very easily and effectively.

Breetai posted:

I think that I'm probably focussed more on the scene in the bedroom where she tells you about her depression and says things that honestly could have come straight out of the mouth of someone I cared about, as well as the poem about the bottles (same deal), because of its relevance to my own life, and so that's why that particular aspect of the game resonates with me so much.

That scene is the only realistic one in the game, and yeah it really struck a chord with me too. Because you can't see it coming and there isn't anything you can do. The stuff with Natsuki and Yuri is so much more exaggerated that it's very unreal, but I'm sure that's intentional in how the game's story escalates so rapidly.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 13:35 on Oct 29, 2017

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Captain Lavender posted:

Store -> Explore -> Customize my Queue -> Exclude products with these tags: Visual Novel

There, fixed.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

RyokoTK posted:

I took it that Monika was deliberately worsening her existing depression, probably just by talking to her;

Monika very definitely tells her that she should just kill herself, it's hinted at very broadly in the dialogue and also in the last pre-suicide poem: "Get out of my head before I listen to everything she said to me."

RyokoTK posted:

That scene is the only realistic one in the game, and yeah it really struck a chord with me too. Because you can't see it coming and there isn't anything you can do. The stuff with Natsuki and Yuri is so much more exaggerated that it's very unreal, but I'm sure that's intentional in how the game's story escalates so rapidly.

I dunno: I could see her being depressed coming, as there was sufficient foreshadowing in the words you use to make poems suited to her, the time when she's alone at her desk and not speaking with you and also a lot of the content of her poetry. "If it wasn't for you, I could sleep forever." in the first one was a major red flag, and the 'bottles' poem (2nd one down, seriously read this one again) speak to her feelings towards you and the facade she puts up for others quite directly.

e. or do you mean that you can't see it coming in real life when someone you know has been maintaining a facade of normalcy?

Breetai has a new favorite as of 15:03 on Oct 29, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The second one. The in-game foreshadowing is there but the PC doesn't see it because of the facade she puts up.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
That’s because the PC is a douche. He is intentionally a shallow, emotionless robot, a parody of generic romance VN protagonists.

Also, there is probably a prequel coming. It sounds like it’s gunning for an Infinity-style overarching story involving Yuri’s book, either Sayori or Monika, some weird SCP-style organization, and another character that has had interactions with the cast off screen.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Double Punctuation posted:

Also, there is probably a prequel coming. It sounds like it’s gunning for an Infinity-style overarching story involving Yuri’s book, either Sayori or Monika, some weird SCP-style organization, and another character that has had interactions with the cast off screen.

That sounds abjectly terrible.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Warframe | Plains of Eidolon loving thank you for making an effort to make fishing interesting. 90% of the games that let you go fishing don't make any effort to dress it up. It's just fishing rod, bait and throw it in till something bites on.

https://i.imgur.com/zHfSj8d.mp4

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

DDLC is really boring for like two hours so far, yeah there's some foreshadowing and I'm pretty sure I have a decent grasp of what's going to happen but even with text speed way way up on auto-advance I'm still over two hours in with a whole lot of nothing happening.

In Super Mario Odyssey the menu screen is basically straight out of an old Player's Guide, with little blurbs about places of interest and a few screenshots here and there. Hits me right in the nostalgia.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

DDLC is really boring for like two hours so far, yeah there's some foreshadowing and I'm pretty sure I have a decent grasp of what's going to happen but even with text speed way way up on auto-advance I'm still over two hours in with a whole lot of nothing happening.

In Super Mario Odyssey the menu screen is basically straight out of an old Player's Guide, with little blurbs about places of interest and a few screenshots here and there. Hits me right in the nostalgia.

I love that the map screens for the different worlds are travel guides. Full on trifolded travel guides.
This game is insane with the small stuff they put in.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just looked up in the Evidence Locker in Get Even - there is no ceiling, it's All neurones. Pretty cool considering your inside the main character's memories.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Mario Odyssey you can possess a tank named Sherm.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It should have been named Sheila.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Double Punctuation posted:

Also, there is probably a prequel coming [for DDLC]

Yeah I looked more into some of the secret stuff and the overarching ARG and... it really kind of lessened the game for me. I don't think it's a fiction that needs to exist before or after the events of the game. But who knows where it'll go I guess. Obviously the dude can write pretty well.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah I looked more into some of the secret stuff and the overarching ARG and... it really kind of lessened the game for me. I don't think it's a fiction that needs to exist before or after the events of the game. But who knows where it'll go I guess. Obviously the dude can write pretty well.

I thought it was a red herring. There's lore to this poo poo?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
There's hints in if you keep the game directory open while you're playing certain files will be generated that need to be decoded or viewed in this-or-that way. Same with the character files. Some sort of experiments on people beforehand and hints that, I think, the characters were actually trapped inside the game and some poo poo with a "third eye" that I couldn't even begin to care about. I'm not sure because I rolled my eyes pretty much nonstop as soon as I started reading it, but there's a big hint at something being released in 2018 so yeah, this is just one step in some ARG.

There's a Reddit thread that did all the heavy lifting already and it's dumb.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 03:31 on Oct 30, 2017

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I wish I gave two hoots about anime or visual novels because I wanted to like DDLC a lot more than I did. Also it would help if I wasn't already dead inside because the emotional stuff didn't land either.

It was interesting and I like the ideas behind it a lot though. Also I go spooked by one bit when Yuri's face fills the screen and she no longer has anime eyes. Is that the "jump scare" people talk about?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I thought the jump scare was when Natsuki’s neck snaps and then she rushes the screen.

The creepypasta stuff really didn’t land for me and I thought it stuck out in a bad way, but fortunately it was a small part and playthrough 2 throws so much disquieting stuff at you in so many different ways that I let it slide.

Even the cheap startles like the noise when glitched Monika appears toward the start of playthrough 2 worked in building anxiety in me.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

RareAcumen posted:

Warframe | Plains of Eidolon loving thank you for making an effort to make fishing interesting. 90% of the games that let you go fishing don't make any effort to dress it up. It's just fishing rod, bait and throw it in till something bites on.

https://i.imgur.com/zHfSj8d.mp4

Is Warframe good?

I have reached the point where there's not much left to do in Destiny 2 after the first day of a reset, and was looking for something to scratch that itch.

Warframe looks like a similar idea.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Warframe is an endless grind under decent gameplay and a cool art style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I'm watching VoidBurger's stream VoDs of DDLC, because that extra layer of distance and another few people experiencing it does lessen the fear considerably (and lets me actually continue, because there's been a few points where I would've just stopped dead). I don't even know if there is 'the jump scare', because that 'poo poo gets real' chunk of the game (from Sayori's suicide onward, granted I'm only partway through the second day of the second playthrough right now) is so good at setting a generally uneasy and upsetting tone that loving EVERYTHING is a potential 'jump scare'.

The thing that's really been standing out to me is some of the more subtle stuff to that, actually. Not even the outright glitchy stuff, just the things that play slightly off from how the game presented itself up until then. Character portraits are disconcertingly bigger sometimes, the background of a room slowly rotates, standard Ren'Py portrait/text box layering isn't quite adhered to. A pretty good example is that at one point VoidBurger got scared by a character coming into the scene from below, instead of from the side; not in a particularly unsettling way, in fact it's a totally normal Ren'Py transition, but until then every character has either faded in directly or come in from the side.