Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

DeimosRising posted:

It's very obvious that ditching the old EU as corporate canon had nothing to do with how stupid it was and the new stuff is going to be exactly as stupid

I don't know why you thought otherwise. Ditching the old EU was so they could make entirely new stories without having to deal with the old stories. It had nothing to do with "quality". The new EU had as much chance as being "not stupid" as the old EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Let's be honest, some of the worst of the blessed canon has been just as bad if not worse than the worst of the old EU. And the same goddamn people are in charge of it all at the end of the day.

All. New canon, old EU, new EU.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I hope Han shoots Greedo multiple times in the Solo movie

Like even when Greedo is a kid hanging around the pod racing stuff Han shoots him when trying to hit a sand person

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

The first time Han hosed Leila he was wearing a condom that was actually hand made by one of Luke's friends who grew up to work in a condom factory that stocked the vending machines in dive bars around the galaxy.

T' Ro Jinn

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The article about the skull reminded me that the original Star Wars card game had a lot of funny and sarcastic text on them.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Sorry if this has been discussed to death already, but how's the "A Certain Point of View" book? Seems like the kind of thing my wife would like, but want to make sure it is actually quality before picking it up for her.

Klungar fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 24, 2017

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

It’s gotten a fairly mixed response around here, but I dug the majority of its stories.

It’s fairly important that you don’t take it too seriously, is all.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I hate that book because they wouldn't accept my Gonk Noir Detective Story

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Snooze Cruise posted:

I hate that book because they wouldn't accept my Gonk Noir Detective Story

I'm sure they'll turn it into a movie instead within the next decade

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

There’s a new behind-the-scenes video out; it’s mostly “Rian Johnson! :neckbeard:“ but there’s a few new visual tidbits like Benicio Del Toro’s character going undercover with Finn and Rose

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

thrawn527 posted:

I don't know why you thought otherwise. Ditching the old EU was so they could make entirely new stories without having to deal with the old stories. It had nothing to do with "quality". The new EU had as much chance as being "not stupid" as the old EU.

I didn't

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Do the Stars War movies have super detailed special features like the LotR and Hobbit movies?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

UmOk posted:

Do the Stars War movies have super detailed special features like the LotR and Hobbit movies?

Not quite that detailed. But there's usually a good handful of behind the scenes stuff.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If anyone thinks the name of the Han Solo movie sounds familiar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV-4gWRtNxY

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 25, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The MSJ posted:

If anyone thinks the name of the Han Solo movie sounds familiar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV-4gWRtNxY

I remember this movie. It just...ends.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

UmOk posted:

When the prequels came out, each had a documentary focusing on an aspect of the film.

RotS had a really neat one called "Within a Minute" which was about all the work that goes on behind the scenes to make one minute of the film

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's insane to me that they shot the end of VII in remote Ireland, with a plan for VIII in mind, but halted production, everyone flew home, and then flew back to start on VIII like a year or two later, on basically the same scene. It just seems so wasteful.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
They should've just shot them back-to-back à la Lord of the Rings. It's not like an Episode 8 was in doubt...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Unlike LotR, Episodes VII and VIII have different writers and directors.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I understand why they did it, it just seems like something that they could've planned around.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Right. But a significant chunk of VIII is shot in that location and when VII was shooting the script wasn't past the treatment stage.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
And from what I understand, for the production of VIII, they didn't spend too long actually on Skellig Michael, instead building an island top set on the Irish mainland, to avoid disrupting things on the island too much

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Phantom Menace begins behind (stupid autocorrect my lovely finger tapping) the scenes is one of the best special features on DVD.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 26, 2017

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

The Phantom Menace begins the scenes is one of the best special features on DVD.
Making Episode One is a better film than The Phantom Menace, and I say that as someone who thinks The Phantom Menace is pretty decent. It plays out almost like a Shakespearean tragedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxL4pzuwSUQ

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vintersorg posted:

The Phantom Menace begins the scenes is one of the best special features on DVD.

You can watch it for free on the SW Youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da8s9m4zEpo

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

The Phantom Menace begins behind (stupid autocorrect my lovely finger tapping) the scenes is one of the best special features on DVD.

Have you seen the Hobbit trilogy behind the scenes? It's all really good.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I hated The Hobbit.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

I hated The Hobbit.

But did you hate it behind the scenes?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am not sure what else I could gleam from it. As the LoTR documentaries were excellent and I feel the Hobbit stuff would just be more of the same.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

I am not sure what else I could gleam from it. As the LoTR documentaries were excellent and I feel the Hobbit stuff would just be more of the same.

It's in HD and the actors that play the Dwarfs are awesome

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

homullus posted:

But did you hate it behind the scenes?

I didn't like the part where Ian McKellen broke down and cried.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He's not a good movie actor. He trained for the stage . I can understand why he'd hate movies .

If you want background Marc maroon has a good interview with mckellern would cry there

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He's a really good movie actor. It's just endless green screen sucks. It's just boooring.

BraveJoe
Feb 18, 2010
we need Thrawn to show up in these movies.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder what wacky way the porgs will save the day

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

moist turtleneck posted:

I wonder what wacky way the porgs will save the day

will they have giant blue balls

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

FlamingLiberal posted:

I will give them credit for actually offing the characters at the end of R1 and not doing some kind of cop-out ending

Nar, thats just the standard way all the old EU stuff used to end "Massively important event happens behind the scenes, effects/causes everything, but all stops before the films happen it such a way that it never gets mentioned by the film's heroes or leaves anyone alive that people in the film's would logically miss and ask about"

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Cinnamon Bear posted:

will they have giant blue balls

Let's Pom Poko this poo poo.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Fractalsponge is probably my favourite 3d artist but occasionally his designs can look unfortunate from some angles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Captain Splendid posted:

Fractalsponge is probably my favourite 3d artist but occasionally his designs can look unfortunate from some angles

Anyone else see Jar Jar Binks in this?