Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Nitrousoxide posted:

Hmmmmmm......

Not sure, on mobile, but if it's telling you to restart TW after claiming your dlc, restarting steam fixed it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
The Total War 2 game menu is telling him he needs to have Total War 2 in his Steam library...

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

sassassin posted:

The income is tiny compared to that of the crafting building, so I'm always reluctant to waste precious space on plazas. Need trade goods, need growth, need walls, need troops, sometimes need untainted corruption, drat this settlement has a unique building (or two) got to have that.

Don’t forget that high elves get bonuses to growth and income if the province public order is high enough. It may not be as much income on paper but if you’re at -50 public order or something it actually makes you more money to get the public order high

Dmar
Aug 19, 2004
yarg

Plavski posted:

Just build up a stack and kill the frogs. Siege the capital and starve them

In my game once I broke the NAP then my trade agreement they got mad enough to declare war before turn 15. Took care of the issue neatly.

Then I spent 10 turns chasing 2 vampire stacks through the province, each taking almost no attrition, and a banshee killed little Ra’Tok, the priest you start with. :dunkedon:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mightypeon posted:

Kroq Gar has some sizeable money issues on acount of:

1: Of the provinces you can take early on, only your starting province has a) no permanent vampire corruption and b) no bad climate.
2: You can only break the non aggression pact/Mil access treaty with the other frogs on turn 10, and then DOW them on turn 20.
3: You need then to overrun the Desert Southland, also full of Vamprie corruption, to get a port.

tldr: You wont get a port before turn 50 or so. That seriously cuts down on your trading.

Edit: Also, you may well end up qualifiying for getting chaos invaded pretty much the turn you get the port in.

Hrmmm? I attacked the frog immediately after securing my home province.

I also told him to piss off on all diplomatic offers because I was planning to do precisely that though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Don’t forget that high elves get bonuses to growth and income if the province public order is high enough. It may not be as much income on paper but if you’re at -50 public order or something it actually makes you more money to get the public order high

Factionwide bonuses to trade goods and income make that a tough sell for me. First tiers are 60 income plus public order, versus 100 income and 6 trinkets worth 20 each, the latter of which isn't effected by local unrest afaik. A few embassies and nobles lurking around and that's not just pocket money.

I rely almost entirely on rites, rituals, bards and vintners for keeping public order in check.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ZearothK posted:

What is this sad world coming to when I agree with sassassin.

People say this so often I wonder if it's my new gimmick?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

Yeah, the activation process is kind of a bitch and a half. In my case, I just fooled around in a Vortex game until suddenly a pop-up appeared saying that it had finished downloading the Mortal Empires FLC, and then I restarted to initialize the install and once more to finish up.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Godspeed, College of Pyrotechnics.

These crazy bastards carved out a nice 4-settlement nation in between Morathi and Mazdamundi and have held it since drat near the beginning.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

sassassin posted:

if your gimmick is pointing out obviously agreeable poo poo in a petty douche manner sure

Unrelated note: wow, they changed some maps from WH1 in a big way. Battle for Bloodpine Woods is now twice as big for some reason. Going to see if the reinforcements come from somewhere else now.

EDIT: They don't. Hope I see this map appear elsewhere, kind of a strange waste of effort if it doesn't.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 28, 2017

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
How the heck do I get food as Queek? I can’t see any food generating buildings and consumption just gets worse as I expand. I can get 2 food when I win a battle but it’s not enough.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Pick a province you own, they are now your bitches. Raid them all the time, it gets you food and rebellions. Have the raiding army defeat the rebellions, that gets you food to.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

How the heck do I get food as Queek? I can’t see any food generating buildings and consumption just gets worse as I expand. I can get 2 food when I win a battle but it’s not enough.

Raid your provinces, trust me, it's not cheese and it fits perfectly. If you like, you can also let the rebellions grow to a bigger stack since more prisoners caught means more food from the battle results, even before the 2 food execution choice.

Basically it's about striking a balance between your income and food, in that you can convert income into food by having a general + slaves and artillery batteries raid your own stuff for a flat 3 food + rebellion farming.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Raiding (even your own lands) and province orders. You'll have constant rebellions and massive upkeep costs relative to your economy, meaning you'll have to actually use cheap units and rebellious generals. Whilst very thematic, it's not much like the traditional consolodation and expansion gameplay of most factions in 99% of the series. Skaven are just really strange to play as compared to most factions.

Queek's also annoying to deal with as a Lord because skaven benefit so much from red tree but he's the sort of unique general where it feels a waste to not rush his other trees, but then he gets stunlocked anyway.

Warp lightning cannons have no issues racking up 400 dead dawi per battle to make up for it though. I thought it was all hype, even after two vortex campaigns and shredding many 2x claw / 2x cannon intervention stacks, but holy poo poo...

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The Skaven raiding yourself thing is great and works, but I wonder if it was intended to be that way or not.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

The Skaven raiding yourself thing is great and works, but I wonder if it was intended to be that way or not.

It does SOUND pretty Skaven.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

You live off eating your enemies. That 2 food is gonna have to be enough. Eat all the captives and engage in constant warfare. Build stacks of dudes and harass the enemy and then sack them.

He's harder than Skrolk for sure.

Skrolk is the best Legendary Lord in the game.

Nullkigan posted:

Raiding (even your own lands) and province orders. You'll have constant rebellions and massive upkeep costs relative to your economy, meaning you'll have to actually use cheap units and rebellious generals. Whilst very thematic, it's not much like the traditional consolodation and expansion gameplay of most factions in 99% of the series. Skaven are just really strange to play as compared to most factions.

Yup, and that's what makes them fun!

I love how asymmetric total warhammer is compared to like Shogun 2.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I assume it has to be; you don't incur a -100% own region wealth penalty using raiding stance unlike everyone else, particularly Lizardmen who can't raid at all.

The thing about the Skaven is that it's actually stupidly easy to get to positive public order with them since their public order building also generates money and can be rushed thanks to the food mechanic. It all hinges on your ability to capture and secure the province's capital though, to corral rebels and access the +provincial wealth building.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Holy poo poo this game is pissing me off now. Turn 14 in an Empire campaign Bordelaux declared war on me for some reason. They don't even border me. The next turn they invited the dwarves in the mountains close to Marienburg into the war. And the next 20 turns was spent chasing their armies around trying to cover my settlements because I had not been able to get walls on all of them yet. Then I gave up.

I was at peace with everyone when the declaration of war out of the blue came, as I had killed the Orcs, seccessionists and Marienburg. Is there some mechanic that if you are at peace someone will declare war?

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

toasterwarrior posted:

Hope I see this map appear elsewhere, kind of a strange waste of effort if it doesn't.

When I tested with a friend in Warhammer 1, fighting battles close to where Quest Battle sites were would give you the Quest Battle map. If this is the same, then you’ll probably be able to get that map by fighting in that area. (Unsure as Bloodpine wasn’t one of the ones I tested, I tested Hel Fenn/Blackfire Pass/Most of Mannfred’s Battle sites)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Queek funnels experience from other lords to himself which is great to get him up to level 40 faster than other lords. Having lots of other lords is beneficial to him (I assume this is Queek hogging all the credit for himself).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Hryme posted:

Holy poo poo this game is pissing me off now. Turn 14 in an Empire campaign Bordelaux declared war on me for some reason. They don't even border me. The next turn they invited the dwarves in the mountains close to Marienburg into the war. And the next 20 turns was spent chasing their armies around trying to cover my settlements because I had not been able to get walls on all of them yet. Then I gave up.

I was at peace with everyone when the declaration of war out of the blue came, as I had killed the Orcs, seccessionists and Marienburg. Is there some mechanic that if you are at peace someone will declare war?

Nearly the same thing happened to me, except it was the Secessionists who got Ziflin to try and gank me. It took all of Gelt's magic, his starting Mortar, and a lot of crossbow bolts and pistol shots to fight back that double stack of tier 1 Dwarf units, and I consider myself lucky that they could only muster 3 ranged units because otherwise corner-camping wouldn't have worked.

If you can, try sitting in ambush stance near Helmgart to bait a stack into a one-on-one fight with them at a formation disadvantage. Generally this'll get the fuckers to back off once they lose numerical superiority.

Regarding the peace thing: you gotta get your strength ranking up to a serious number because otherwise other factions will see you as a chump. Get more stacks on the map, maybe even have them sit in garrisons to bolster the defences.

Panfilo posted:

Queek funnels experience from other lords to himself which is great to get him up to level 40 faster than other lords. Having lots of other lords is beneficial to him (I assume this is Queek hogging all the credit for himself).

The funny thing about this is that this is considered a "negative" on the faction select, despite the fact that having a lord with a higher level than your faction leader means they can lose loyalty faster.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 28, 2017

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Ok next time I will recuit the second general sooner.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

You can get 2 extra food from that option. You get a lot more from the battle itself.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Knobb Manwich posted:

You can get 2 extra food from that option. You get a lot more from the battle itself.

The 2 food doesn't sound like much, but if you repeatedly smash tiny armies over and over those flat bonuses add up. Ditto for the elf option that gives 100xp regardless of the size of the army.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Mazdamundi is indeed frog Hitler.

I am Kroq Gar, did the ritual battle around his turf via teleport (so, I am actually on the other side of the world). I get vision of him because of this and ...
he declares war on me.

Feelsbadman, he was actually doing pretty ok with 12 provinces in turn 60.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

sassassin posted:

2017, the year Sass changed.

RedApe98
Mar 17, 2009

Kanos posted:

Corruption in a province works like a sliding scale rather than a zero sum thing. Since the local populace of vampire provinces is always a minimum +3 vampiric corruption, this means that there will always be SOME corruption in the province. If you have +6 untainted and +3 vampiric, it will stabilize at 66% untainted/33% vampiric. If you have +12 untainted and +3 vampiric, it will stabilize at 80% untainted/20% vampiric. It is completely impossible to permanently eradicate vampiric corruption from provinces that start vampiric, even if you have +10,000,000 untainted; there will still be a decimal amount of vampiric corruption due to that permanent +3.

Teclis's ME start sucks horribly out of the gate and is a public order nightmare, even if the tactical layer battles are among the easiest.

Wow, thanks for telling me this. What a bizarre decision hopefully someone gets around to making a mod to remove it being permanent.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Yeah, I really wish I'd basically just made a stack for Queek to go do poo poo and a second stack capable of beating a rebel army in autoresolve without too many casualties, then bought two or three extra warlords and eating the money upkeep cost to have them all hang around raiding/reinforcing the backup stack to soak experience. I got to that strategy eventually, but it took awhile. Then once you get the main rebel-killing Lord up to like level 15 and have the blue line and warlord skills appropriately maxed, send him off to do poo poo too and grab a 4th, 5th, or 6th warlord and repeat the process. Food out the rear end, competent lords who basically start getting a "real" army once they have +ambush, - upkeep, etc.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

SMP posted:

Godspeed, College of Pyrotechnics.

These crazy bastards carved out a nice 4-settlement nation in between Morathi and Mazdamundi and have held it since drat near the beginning.

Its quite fun to adopt a awesome faction and help them build up.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Mightypeon posted:

Mazdamundi is indeed frog Hitler.

I am Kroq Gar, did the ritual battle around his turf via teleport (so, I am actually on the other side of the world). I get vision of him because of this and ...
he declares war on me.

Feelsbadman, he was actually doing pretty ok with 12 provinces in turn 60.

Yea, the ending of the Mazda's ritual was a mood whiplash.

"The world is safe and the great ones plan can continue."

Yay!

"Commence the purge."

Wait, what?

Edit: Hurrr, edit, not new post.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
There's a reason why most Slann consider Mazdamundi kind of a poo poo :v:

Lord Kroak 4evar

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I have 10 stacks as Queek and I'm still making 36k a turn. I have 12 provinces and 40 settlements but it feels like a lot more since it's a huge chunk of the map (southern jungles/badlands and up to mt gunbad). Drowning the world in rats rules.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Did they ever fix the range bug? I have the upgrades for artillery/flame weapons as Dwarves but I can't tell if they are actually doing damage at max range (previously, the range indicator would correctly adjust for the increased range, but the projectiles would either do 0 damage at the bonus range or always fall short to the stock range.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Ahhh free blood for people who bought the blood dlc for TW1. Thank you for being reasonable CA.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

gently caress Confederation.

CA either need to fix it or disable it.

It feels nearly impossible to Confederate at all as the player unless you're up 5 full provinces on the other guy and you shower them with gifts.

Meanwhile HElves, Greenskins and Stunties AI empires just confederate on cooldown.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Were Luminarks of Hysh always mega murder machines or is that new to TWII? I knew they were ok for large unit sniping, but drat. I usually never used them, because they wouldn't fire if there was a branch on the ground obstructing their view.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Xae posted:

gently caress Confederation.

CA either need to fix it or disable it.

It feels nearly impossible to Confederate at all as the player unless you're up 5 full provinces on the other guy and you shower them with gifts.

Meanwhile HElves, Greenskins and Stunties AI empires just confederate on cooldown.

Confederation as AI: "Is same culture? Is off cooldown? CONFEDERATION GO!"
Confederation as player: "gently caress. YOU. gently caress YOUR FACE. gently caress YOUR CLOTHES. gently caress YOU FOR EXISTING."

They never confederate unless they're down to their last city, it's being sieged, they have no armies, no money, it's a Tuesday while Mercury is in retrograde, their chakras are aligned, and they've conducted the requisite seventeen seances to commune with their great-great-great-great Aunt Agnes to discuss whether they should consider possibly almost sorta kinda confederating; and then they'll still want 70,000 gold for a Moderate chance of agreeing, at least. Then they'll still say no.

Confederation is hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I dunno man. I keep reading things in this thread about confederation that I don't experience. It doesn't seem hard or impossible.

Also, a ways back someone said you couldn't confederate if you were in an alliance with someone but I've been able to do that as well.