Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Strobe posted:

If I wanted to run Tyranids, how hosed am I?

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Genghis Cohen posted:

Wow, that was not clear about the autarch's points cost! Wonder why they didn't list it in his equipment then? It only appears under special rules, which generally don't have a points cost, e.g. the psykers' identical rune armour rule. Autarch is the only unit with that rule, besides Yriel whose points cost includes kit - there is no reason for it to be a separately costed item.

(Weirdly vexed about that, for some reason)

Shining spears are a cool idea. The models, if they still sell them, are based on the old jetbikes. I don't mind them at all, but I replaced their stubby tech-lances with actual lances from a fantasy dark elf kit. If I was buying some now, I'd be tempted to do the same but use the new jetbikes kits as a base. The proper models have cool details in the design of their armour (resembles medieval tilting armour in shape) but don't look too different at arm's length.

It’s there on wraithblades as well - for some reason the force shield option is listed under abilities rather than equipment again. It’s bizarrely and pointlessly obfuscatory - all models with force shields either have them built on or have to take another thing to get them (ghost axes) so why not include it with the other costs!?

One thing I’ll say about the iPad edition is that, while I’m still grumpy about the circumstances that lead to me having to get it, it genuinely is “enhanced” - when you’re looking at a units entry you can click any piece of equipment or ability and it will pop up the stat line and the points cost, and you can get the points cost per model of the unit by clicking their force org icon. No flicking to the end of the book needed.

It makes catching things like this way easier.

In happy painting news, I’ve finished this lovely thing just in time for my game:

Technically I have a few final assembly steps - part of the turret is held together by tiny strips of duct tape while I wait for some magnets to arrive (because wow has it not been my week for things I order turning up on time).

I found some more badly painted late nineties reapers in my bits box though, and I’m only one away from having three MSUs. Looks like I’m going to have to paint at least one more of the wretched things.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Why doesn't the autarch have a shuriken pistol?!

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

R0ckfish posted:

Just wait a couple of weeks and we will know what the codex has changed.

We should know 99-100% of the codex this time next week; once pre-orders are up the Mournival guys can all freely wave around their preview copies on twitch & youtube

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

TWSS posted:

Why doesn't the autarch have a shuriken pistol?!

I have literally no idea. Maybe they have a plastic monopose foot autarch with two-handed glaive in the pipeline for Christmas? It fits with the new policy on space marine characters.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

It is a huge shame there isn't a build your own Autarch or Inquisitior box in the style of the plastic Space Marine Commander.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Cross posting from the 30K thread. THis will be a LoW greater daemon (whatever flightless one I fancy) in my Renegades/Daemon list. Obviously he can't be Drach'nyen in the 41st millenium as that particular daemon is busy being a sword.

JackMack posted:

I have painted my LoW, my giant murderdaemon.

Wrenched forth from the warp, present from nearly the beginning of mankind. He has been known by many names through the millenia; Cain's Folly, the Wrathchild, the End of Empires and the Echo of the First Murder. His daemon name is Drach'nyen and the Emperor himself could not defeat him...

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

xtothez posted:

We should know 99-100% of the codex this time next week; once pre-orders are up the Mournival guys can all freely wave around their preview copies on twitch & youtube

True, this semester is making me lose track of what week it is. Their little teases so far have made me intrigued tho, particularly given I am doing nids when I finish my salamanders, which at the current rate is 2ish weeks putting me right on time for release.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Quite a daemon mate! Very impressive conversion.

One_Wing posted:

It’s there on wraithblades as well - for some reason the force shield option is listed under abilities rather than equipment again. It’s bizarrely and pointlessly obfuscatory - all models with force shields either have them built on or have to take another thing to get them (ghost axes) so why not include it with the other costs!?

One thing I’ll say about the iPad edition is that, while I’m still grumpy about the circumstances that lead to me having to get it, it genuinely is “enhanced” - when you’re looking at a units entry you can click any piece of equipment or ability and it will pop up the stat line and the points cost, and you can get the points cost per model of the unit by clicking their force org icon. No flicking to the end of the book needed.

It makes catching things like this way easier.

In happy painting news, I’ve finished this lovely thing just in time for my game:

Technically I have a few final assembly steps - part of the turret is held together by tiny strips of duct tape while I wait for some magnets to arrive (because wow has it not been my week for things I order turning up on time).

I found some more badly painted late nineties reapers in my bits box though, and I’m only one away from having three MSUs. Looks like I’m going to have to paint at least one more of the wretched things.

Ah, that makes a bit more sense re the force shield. Still another dumb artefact of their system of putting points separately. I haven't met a single person who prefers the nebulous power point system. I know they exist, but really it seems the rules writers tried to force a paradigm shift away from points that no one asked for, and hardly anyone has adopted. I can see why common weapons etc are costed (we had this before with the old armoury system) but it's applied weirdly and inconsistently. Swooping hawks are base priced cheaper than guardians despite being vastly better, because guardians come with shuriken catapults included and hawks pay more then the model's own price for a gun (no other model can buy the gun; it's separate for no reason). Should've stuck with points in the army list.

I think I'm going through the same process as you of sorting through my bits box and rearranging my units a bit. I can make 3 more shining spears out of what were windriders, and cannibalise a couple more to convert a Farseer and warlock on bikes.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TKIY posted:

I think the Carnifex is the most modular kit followed by the Tyrants and Warriors. If those three models get some if that customizability back, that would be great.

Having said that they need to fix a lot of units from the index.

I know the preview blurb on the carnifex in the new white dwarf mentions they bring the Swiss army carnifex back and every bit in the kit will have rules.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Just had my teeth of terra apothecary with might of heroes up wipe an inceptor squad, this is hilarious

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Finished a hot set of shiny mans for a painting comp somewhere else. Posting them here for people to ignore:

Out of all these guys, this one was my favorite though:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Major Spag posted:

Finished a hot set of shiny mans for a painting comp somewhere else. Posting them here for people to ignore:

Out of all these guys, this one was my favorite though:

Just saw those on Bolter and Chainsword. Your fancy guy definitely looks rad as hell- the chest from the upgrade sprue goes really well with the rest of the model.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Dang, I'm looking at the Tyranid Elites choices and I don't like hardly any of them. What do you guys (who run them) pick to fill out a Brigade? I can see going Zoanthropes for some Smite spammy goodness, but with the upcoming (rumored) cap I'm not sure what to take.

Carnifexes should be Elites.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Strobe posted:

Dang, I'm looking at the Tyranid Elites choices and I don't like hardly any of them. What do you guys (who run them) pick to fill out a Brigade? I can see going Zoanthropes for some Smite spammy goodness, but with the upcoming (rumored) cap I'm not sure what to take.

Carnifexes should be Elites.

I was thinking Hive Guard with Impaler Cannons for my upcoming list to serve as tank fuckers.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Genghis Cohen posted:

Quite a daemon mate! Very impressive conversion.

Ah, that makes a bit more sense re the force shield. Still another dumb artefact of their system of putting points separately. I haven't met a single person who prefers the nebulous power point system. I know they exist, but really it seems the rules writers tried to force a paradigm shift away from points that no one asked for, and hardly anyone has adopted. I can see why common weapons etc are costed (we had this before with the old armoury system) but it's applied weirdly and inconsistently. Swooping hawks are base priced cheaper than guardians despite being vastly better, because guardians come with shuriken catapults included and hawks pay more then the model's own price for a gun (no other model can buy the gun; it's separate for no reason). Should've stuck with points in the army list.

I think I'm going through the same process as you of sorting through my bits box and rearranging my units a bit. I can make 3 more shining spears out of what were windriders, and cannibalise a couple more to convert a Farseer and warlock on bikes.

My shop almost exclusively uses PL. Way easier for ad hoc games or to switch up a list or go 2v1 or 2v2 depending on who shows up.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

PantsOptional posted:

I was thinking Hive Guard with Impaler Cannons for my upcoming list to serve as tank fuckers.

I hadn't seen the statline on the Impaler Cannon, that thing seems pretty good.

Dicking around in BattleScribe, I've abandoned trying to fit it into a Brigade, and am now fiddling with two Battalions and a Spearhead. Much easier without having to figure out what Elites or Fast Attack have to be included, and I'll cede 2 CP for not having that headache.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Serotonin posted:

Just going to leave this here

The other side: https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/comments/79drzk/am_i_the_ahole_here/?utm_content=title&utm_medium=new&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=multi

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I’m just going to restate how much longer the Primaris Marines take to paint versus the old tacticals. Edge highlighting went from a pain to a new hell.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Had to post the other side of the story in that reddit.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Tried out assault hellblasters and man they're a lot better than I was giving them credit for.

I think they're actually not great for a primaris force that needs the extra strength, but having a bunch of tough plasma guys that can just shred stuff at 24 inches and can advance around shooting is super useful in a regular marine list, more useful than the rapid fire hellblasters I think. They still cost too much (For about the price of 5 of them you could bring 2 5-man tac squads with a plasma and combi-plasma each) but they can really gently caress stuff up. They especially shine against something like sisters, wounding them on 2s and blowing through their armor saves while getting the mobility and 24 inch volume of fire. That ap-4 is rough if stuff doesn't have an invuln save. And if there's a reroll source you've still got the option of supercharging up to T7 to threaten some vehicles. Against T8 they can at least put a few AP-4 wounds onto them to finish off something that's been hit by your lascannons already. I'd think 150 would be a better price for them.

Here's what I'll be trying out next time I get a chance, an 1850 list. 1850-2000 is pretty popular here.

Crimson Fists
Battallion

Gravis captain, Armor Indomitus (Maybe Storm of Fire?)
Lieutenant with jump pack, storm bolter, Fist of Vengeance

5x intercessors with GL and power sword
5x intercessors with GL and power sword
5x tac marines with flamer and combi-flamer
Razorback with TL assault cannon and storm bolter

Apothecary
Venerable dreadnought with TL lascannon and missile launcher

6x assault bolter inceptors (I want to give them a fair shake)

Crimson Fists spearhead
Librarian with force sword
5x assault hellblasters
5x assault hellblasters
Devastators with storm bolter, cherub, 4 lascannons, 2 bolter marines

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 29, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Uroboros posted:

I’m just going to restate how much longer the Primaris Marines take to paint versus the old tacticals. Edge highlighting went from a pain to a new hell.
Try painting black. You know nothing. :shepicide:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

chutche2 posted:

Tried out assault hellblasters and man they're a lot better than I was giving them credit for.

I think they're actually not great for a primaris force that needs the extra strength, but having a bunch of tough plasma guys that can just shred stuff at 24 inches and can advance around shooting is super useful in a regular marine list, more useful than the rapid fire hellblasters I think. They still cost too much (For about the price of 5 of them you could bring 2 5-man tac squads with a plasma and combi-plasma each) but they can really gently caress stuff up. They especially shine against something like sisters, wounding them on 2s and blowing through their armor saves while getting the mobility and 24 inch volume of fire. That ap-4 is rough if stuff doesn't have an invuln save. And if there's a reroll source you've still got the option of supercharging up to T7 to threaten some vehicles. Against T8 they can at least put a few AP-4 wounds onto them to finish off something that's been hit by your lascannons already. I'd think 150 would be a better price for them.

This is my experience with them too. They're practically tailor made to turbo-gently caress everything T6 and lower and do so with much greater reliable (that is, two shots each) range than the standard versions.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

JackMack posted:

Cross posting from the 30K thread. THis will be a LoW greater daemon (whatever flightless one I fancy) in my Renegades/Daemon list. Obviously he can't be Drach'nyen in the 41st millenium as that particular daemon is busy being a sword.

God drat
Real loving nice daemon

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Still dicking around in BattleScribe, came up with something that I like the sound of even if it's poo poo:

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Tyranids) [25 PL, 474pts] ++

+ HQ +

Old One Eye [7 PL, 140pts]

+ Heavy Support +

Carnifexes [6 PL, 126pts]
. Carnifex: Monstrous Scything Talons, Stranglethorn Cannon, Thresher Scythe

Carnifexes [6 PL, 114pts]
. Carnifex: Thresher Scythe, 2x Two Deathspitters with Slimer Maggots

Carnifexes [6 PL, 94pts]
. Carnifex: 2x Monstrous Scything Talons, Thresher Scythe

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Tyranids) [41 PL, 771pts] ++

+ HQ +

Hive Tyrant [10 PL, 217pts]: 2x Monstrous Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands, Prehensile Pincer Tail, Wings

Tyranid Prime [5 PL, 110pts]: Deathspitter, Lash Whip and Bonesword

+ Troops +

Hormagaunts [6 PL, 100pts]: 20x Hormagaunt

Tyranid Warriors [10 PL, 172pts]
. Tyranid Warrior: Adrenal Glands, Boneswords, Deathspitter
. Tyranid Warrior: Adrenal Glands, Barbed Strangler, Boneswords

Tyranid Warriors [10 PL, 172pts]
. Tyranid Warrior: Adrenal Glands, Barbed Strangler, Boneswords

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Tyranids) [41 PL, 755pts] ++

+ HQ +

Hive Tyrant [10 PL, 209pts]: Monstrous Rending Claws, Prehensile Pincer Tail, Stranglethorn Cannon, Wings

Tyranid Prime [5 PL, 112pts]: Boneswords, Deathspitter

+ Troops +

Hormagaunts [6 PL, 100pts]: 20x Hormagaunt

Tyranid Warriors [10 PL, 167pts]
. Tyranid Warrior: Boneswords, Deathspitter
. Tyranid Warrior: Barbed Strangler, Boneswords

Tyranid Warriors [10 PL, 167pts]
. Tyranid Warrior: Barbed Strangler, Boneswords

++ Total: [107 PL, 2000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Why bother making a Tyranid list with the book about to come out?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Because I have more free time than sense.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
no games allowed until the new codex

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
So, I inherited a bunch of imperial guard. I have 0 urge to play 40k, and got some offers to sell them. Can someone help me parse out how much to charge? There are:
code:
2x leman russ with heavy bolters
1 chimera
3x lascannon
3x autocannon
3x heavy bollter
3x rocket launcher 
3x mortar 
56 cadian guardsman w lasguns 
8 grenade launchers
3 melta
3 plasma
5 flamer
7 officer with chainswords and laspistols
2 fancy looking officers with swords and laspistols
1 fancy boy with sword and power fist
2 commissar with plasma pistols and chainswords
some kind of commander
a vox castor?
some kind of attendant priest
5 some kind of heavy guardsman with lasguns and commander with sword (power?) and weird laspistol
2 of those walker things with no weapons attached

No paint, plastics assembled with cement, a little green stuff covering gaps. Some of the guardsman missing bayonets.

Not looking to make bank on this, I'd just like to unload it and maybe turn it into shiny new shadespire.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
I have finished my AdMech just in time for Armies on Parade.

The Fluffstory for those of you who are into that kind of thing:

Back during the Horus Heresy, Archmagos Brackmann of Forgeworld Draupnir was the Mechanicum envoy to the War Hounds, and later as they became World Eaters. "Fortunately", the Forgeworld suffered extreme "communications difficulties" when every Astropath mysteriously came down with an abrupt case of radiation poisoning and Draupnir spent most of the Heresy sitting at home shooting any envoys, scouts or warfleets out of the sky until the whole thing blew over. Once the Archmagos had confirmed that the Imperial side had won, she swiftly re-established communications and paid the Imperium their complete back-tithe which did a lot to stifle any forthcoming questions.

Forgeworld Draupnir is a ringworld. A proper one - a vast mechanical orbital band around a sun. It's one of the true relics of the Dark Age of Technology and its output is comparable to an entire subsector. Accordingly, the Imperium has been taxing the poo poo out of it - Draupnir has been churning out starships relentlessly and is the backbone of the entire sector's Imperial Navy. However, to meet this tithe while also defending against constant invasions from everyone who rightly identifies the worth of Draupnir, huge sections of the ringworld's superstructure have been cannibalized to fuel the dockyards. By the 41st millennium fully 25% of the Ringword's mass has been harvested, leaving Draupnir in the shape of a gigantic C and on the brink of critical systems failure. The Mechanicum lacks the knowledge to repair the ringworld and so Draupnir is on the brink.

The Archmagos, in response, has declared a crusade: The armies of Forgeworld Draupnir are to go forth into the galaxy, find every starship the Forgeworld has ever made, reclaim it - by force if necessary - and then bring it back to Draupnir for re-integration with the homeworld. It's the galaxy's largest and most violent product recall and no one is safe.

Thanqol fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 29, 2017

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Crossposting from the Oath thread.

Finished up a Black Templar man.

I got some 3rd party transfers and this was my first time putting some on shoulder pads. Not sure if I like them or not. They seem a bit small.

Floppychop posted:

Oath complete!

Claiming the Monthly Challenge for his spooky skull mask and skulls on his chapter insignia.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Oh, and here's my test Wraithguard model.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Thanqol posted:

AdMech + Wraithguard

Floppychop posted:

Black Templar

Great stuff guys. Reivers look really good in Templars colours.

I painted up the first Tempestor Prime the other night. It's a cool model, although I'm glad I kitbashed the other one out of the spare plastic Commissar I had so there's not two identical dudes hanging around.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

JackMack posted:

This looks pretty damned impressive how did you make it?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

TKIY posted:

Man, I need more Nid news. The wait is going to kill me.

From The Tyranid Hive, and vouched by a long-time member.

quote:

our hive tyrant is now t7, 12W. wings will have deepstrike. has a base 4++. down one attack. didnt manage to see the pointage or the wargear options. no idea if monstrous rending claws are still a thing.

carnifex are t7 as well. slight cost reduction. didnt get to see anything else.

maleceptors deal 3 mortal wounds if we roll a 6 on that weird aoe ability. it knows 2 spells and can cast and deny 2 spells. also t7. also 4++

i roughly remember 2 more things
1 is a stratagem tied to a fleet whose name i cant remember.
start of psychic phase, choose one enemy psyker (cant remember if there's a range or if its from one of our own psykers). Targeted enemy psyker uses only 1 dice to roll his spells
and a warlord trait: if an enemy psyker within x inches (cant remember the range) fails his cast he suffers d3 mortal wounds. i'm sure i missed something else here. my memory sucks rear end.

also, i pm'ed a certain esteemed member of this forum with a screen shot. i requested him not to post it but hopefully he can now vouch that i'm not bullshitting.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Artum posted:

This looks pretty damned impressive how did you make it?

It is a miniature from the game The Others Seven Sins by Cool Mini or not so I can take zero conversion credit. It is actually sculpted by Mike McVey who used to work for GW I think.

I have been hunting down alternate renegade and daemon miniatures for a while now as I feel the GW options for both are pretty uniform. There are some amazing sculpts in that game which I got on Kickstarter but of course I just have to get down and paint them. I have got the biggest one out of the way now!

Bad side is it is boardgame plastic, that big fucker was miscast and I realised too later, the mold lines are atrocious and the thin bits are bendy. Also....so......many.......tentacles...

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

xtothez posted:

From The Tyranid Hive, and vouched by a long-time member.

quote:

"chapter tactics"
behemoth: reroll failed charges
Kraken: can charge after falling back
Gorgon: reroll 1s to hit for fight phase
jormungandr: always have cover bonus (i'm not sure if i read this right)
hydra: reroll misses against units with less models during fight phase
kronos: reroll 1s to hit for shooting, IF the unit doesnt move
Leviathan: looks to be the same as salamander tactic but i'm not 100% sure

Neurothrope is now HQ, a character and no longer part of a zoanthrope unit. zoanthropes within 6" of a neurothrope reroll 1s for psychic tests. the spirit leech thing now only heals 1 wound for a zoanthrope unit withint 6"

here's the bit lots and lots of ppl will go nuts about
there are now 3 seperate carnifex entries. 1.) Carnifex 2.) Screamer killer 3.) Thornback
carnifex including 2x monstrous scything talons clock in total at 83 pts.. the 2 pairs of monstrous scything talons for carnifexes are 15 pts, 1 pair is 14 pts. yes.. i know. dont ask me why.
there are individual upgrades for basic carnifexes. +1BS, +1 attack on the charge, -1 to hit from enemy shooting. on the charge carnifexes and screamer killers now get +1 WS on top of the current battering ram rule
screamer killers come stock with "bio plasmic scream" which is 0 points, 12" assault 6(not sure on the number), S7 ap-1, 1damage. screamer killers come stock with 2 monstrous scything talons as well. 90 pts in total
dont have much info on the thornback other than at the end of combat roll d6 for each enemy unit in combat with it. on 6 deal 1 mortal wound

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

How does some one new to 40k start building an army list?

I have decided on Raven Guard if that matters.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Build-a-fex is a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ropes4u posted:

How does some one new to 40k start building an army list?

I have decided on Raven Guard if that matters.

Well, what do you want in your army?