Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
There is one (otherwise great) professor in my department who assigns a creative group project with a presentation for the midterm grade of every class he teaches. He lets you rope in people from outside the class provided it's clear you did most of the work. It didn't occur to me until this semester that I could just do the whole thing myself and invent a co-author. It worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Duzzy Funlop posted:

This post almost gave me loving flashbacks.

Then I remembered I'm out.

gently caress you if you're still in college :smug:

205 days.

Then I get to change schools and get my bachelor's! :smithicide:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

at the date posted:

There is one (otherwise great) professor in my department who assigns a creative group project with a presentation for the midterm grade of every class he teaches. He lets you rope in people from outside the class provided it's clear you did most of the work. It didn't occur to me until this semester that I could just do the whole thing myself and invent a co-author. It worked.

That's quite the tableau of anti-social behavior you're drawing for us.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm in a two hour lecture right now and the person that just sat down next to me has some serious BO

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah

Delizin posted:

Apply online as soon as possible to get the ball rolling. You'll then be contacted by the VA and they will setup a meeting for you with a voc rehab counselor. You and the counselor will then put together a plan to rehabilitate you so that you can re-enter the workforce. Alternatively you can put together a plan by yourself and then give it to the counselor as soon as they contact you to greatly speed up the process.

You can learn more about the actual Voc Rehab guidelines and regs here if you like:
https://www.benefits.va.gov/WARMS/M28R.asp

Thank you, ill hop on it as of now.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Pesticide20 posted:

I'm in a two hour lecture right now and the person that just sat down next to me has some serious BO

Tell him No Smelly Fuckers Allowed

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

lightpole posted:

Tell him No Smelly Fuckers Allowed

This, but also consider making a small scene of moving a few seats to embarrass him.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Group shame doesn't get enough love. Set standards ie, don't smell.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

The only time I don't say anything is if it's occasionally. Like we all forget to put on deodorant that one morning and remember halfway through class when you raise your hand and goddamn KFC smells come straight out.

I had that one girl who was hot but never wore it. Never said anything because I already look like a creep, no need to sound like one too. "You smell."
"Thanks, I guess?"
"Bad"
"Ok weirdo quit smelling me."

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Soulex posted:

The only time I don't say anything is if it's occasionally. Like we all forget to put on deodorant that one morning and remember halfway through class when you raise your hand and goddamn KFC smells come straight out.

I had that one girl who was hot but never wore it. Never said anything because I already look like a creep, no need to sound like one too. "You smell."
"Thanks, I guess?"
"Bad"
"Ok weirdo quit smelling me."

All you gotta do is own it. "You smell" is some weak poo poo

Speak loud and confident and be a sarcastic rear end "I can't help but notice you smell like you never put on deodorant? Are you trying to make a statement or is it just an accident?"

You can't be a creep if you're super straightforward and confident about it. College chicks view you as a creep if you're too nice and genuine because that means you're secretly a 'sociopath looking to get their guard down'

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

M_Gargantua posted:

All you gotta do is own it. "You smell" is some weak poo poo

Speak loud and confident and be a sarcastic rear end "I can't help but notice you smell like you never put on deodorant? Are you trying to make a statement or is it just an accident?"

You can't be a creep if you're super straightforward and confident about it. College chicks view you as a creep if you're too nice and genuine because that means you're secretly a 'sociopath looking to get their guard down'

Confidently telling someone they stink is how I lost my virginity.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Confidently telling someone they stink is how I lost my virginity.

Do tell

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
It was a joke. Confidently telling someone they stink isn't the way to get laid and it was a weird justification for telling someone they stink with confidence.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

It was a joke.

drat

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

It was a joke. Confidently telling someone they stink isn't the way to get laid and it was a weird justification for telling someone they stink with confidence.

Apparently in real colleges, hot 18-22 year olds are a dime a dozen if that's your thing. I stand by my original statement either way. No Smelly Fuckers.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, I go to a state university with almost 30,000 students and the proportion of smelly students is pretty much nil. Then again I'm not in engineering, physics, or computer science, etc.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Chinese people don't wear deodorant.

This isn't me making poo poo up. I sit between two Chinese people in my accounting class and bought one of hem deodorant because he told me that Chinese people don't wear deodorant.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

DoktorLoken posted:

Yeah, I go to a state university with almost 30,000 students and the proportion of smelly students is pretty much nil. Then again I'm not in engineering, physics, or computer science, etc.

I go to a 20000 student state polytechnic and none of the grad students, business or engineering, are smelly.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
this isn't a stereotype but a proven fact based on a comprehensive sampling of the two students sitting adjacent to me in Statics: engineering students are smelly dorks

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Same with nursing students being about a 50/50 split of loving retards. I get the same feeling that happened when I realized how many medics in my graduation class at AIT were going to be responsible for peoples' lives.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
I went to a cybersecurity club meeting to check it out. The content was cool but I haven't been back because holy hell did that room stank

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

rifles posted:

I went to a cybersecurity club meeting to check it out. The content was cool but I haven't been back because holy hell did that room stank

same, cool concept, mostly people who you dont wanna be around

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
hacker club would be a way cooler name

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I had a physics class (woo Physics for the Liberal Arts) over a particularly cold and snowy winter that I would walk outside in the cold rather than walk through the computer science wing to get to my class. One of my classmates would go outside with me because she felt everyone's eyes in the entire department would zero in on her.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

What’s that one picture that’s hella old but it’s that hot tall chick wearing all black and everyone is just staring at her get coffee in the cafeteria filled with neckbeards? I can only imagine that.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Got all of my references in order. Taking the GRE on Monday. Probably starting an MSCE in January :toot:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Let me know how the GrE is. I’m on the way to doing it, just have to finish planning my senior year.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
After 12 years out of school I studied for a month and got 79th percentile Q 97th V and a 3.5 on the essay.

It depends on what you want. For verbal, read at a high level consistently. I'm a fan of The Economist, others like the New Yorker or HBR. I did not put in a ton of work here, just enough to understand what their questions wanted. If your English is weak you may need to focus.

For quant, practice problems. As many as you can.

If you want to write well for the essay, practice. I didnt practice and probably spent more time staring at the clock waiting for it to hit 0 then write.

Make sure to practice taking the free tests like you would on test day. I messed up the timing and wasted time on the math and left problems blank, my score should have been a bit higher.

Overall, if you aren't hitting 150s I'm not sure you're smart enough to breathe. 160s are easily doable if you can focus and practice.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Soulex posted:

Let me know how the GrE is. I’m on the way to doing it, just have to finish planning my senior year.

It's loving easy except for the writing. I write well but nowhere near fast enough to meet the standards for a 5 or 6 point essay (out of 6).

e: "Don't overthink the verbal reasoning questions" is my only real tip aside from what's already been said. You need to be careful, but your first instinct is probably right if you read at a high level already.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 29, 2017

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Please read at a high level even if you are a stem major. It's only been 6 or so weeks but the constantly poo poo english and poorly written studies are killing me.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

lightpole posted:

Please read at a high level even if you are a stem major. It's only been 6 or so weeks but the constantly poo poo english and poorly written studies are killing me.

This never goes away. When American high schools start pumping out students in any reasonable number who are intellectually and dispositionally prepared to study science then you’ll get studies that are written by people working in their first languange. Until then, welp

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Thanks. Does Voc Rehab fit the bill?

I read a lot growing up, don’t so much now but I definitely have strong use of the language despite what my dumb thumbs and autocorrect do for me.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Get back in practice, depending on the program it will help to a lesser or greater degree anyways. Im reading over 200 pages a week as it is, it would be more but other assignments cut into my reading time.

I blew through the verbal portion since it was more instinctive to me so just look through some problems and see how comfortable you are with it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

Get back in practice, depending on the program it will help to a lesser or greater degree anyways. Im reading over 200 pages a week as it is, it would be more but other assignments cut into my reading time.

I blew through the verbal portion since it was more instinctive to me so just look through some problems and see how comfortable you are with it.

I had meant for fun. I don’t have the time to read 200 pages a week, but I can definitely work on it. Last thing I read was Maynard James Keenan’s Biography. I’m interested in Chomsky and the idea of a participatory democracy is fascinating to me. I read a little of Thomas Kuhn and his “Structure to Scientific Revolutions,” because paradigms and paradigm shift is a lifestyle choice for me (and a paper).

I guess I’m at that point where I want to read stuff that is in my field but am too busy to full absorb it. I do end up reading a lot of papers and journals though. Just got done with 2 hours deep in the Encyclopedia of Religion. Shinto is loving weird. Hopefully this paper gives me an A. I’ve been trying to do my best with essays and poo poo recently because I can pull them out of my rear end in 10 minutes but sometimes I get carried away and ignore what the professor is specifically asking for.

I’ve never had a problem writing, I just get distracted.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Yeah it shouldn't be a problem then. Just know that grad school the workload just goes up so I don't actually have time to read 200 pages, I just have to.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

Yeah it shouldn't be a problem then. Just know that grad school the workload just goes up so I don't actually have time to read 200 pages, I just have to.

Oh yeah, I’ll be able to do it later. Right now it’s just hectic. I got 3 boys all 3 and under. I step in and Dad as much as I can but my wife and I both are like “school first.”

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Guys I can't wait to tell you the stories of Merlin the student vet that hangs out in my vet lounge.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Well

Don't hold back, man

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Merlin looks like a fat Jackson Galaxy. He is in his early 30s. Merlin was apparently an army combat engineer, and attained the rank of E5. He could have been SSG, he totally had the points but just didn't care because he was too cool or something. As an E5 he was "in charge of $30 million dollar construction projects" in Afghanistan. Because of this experience, he argues against any tax money going to a local area public school (k-12).

He wears a big beard, because his face is "totally hosed up" underneath. You see, at an army school he was learning door breaching. The lock was crazy and when the guy next to him shot it the buckshot (!) ricocheted into his face. He looks crazy as hell underneath but has a heart of gold!

He parks his Charger backwards into the same disabled parking spot every day. He's proud of the spot and multiple times has basically bragged about it. What's crazy is apparently the campus police dude opened an investigation into whether or not Merlin was still alive, because his car was there longer than the patrol car, which has a reserved spot next to Merlin's. He had to watch security film and everything!

One of the first stories he told the vet center was about his friend in South Carolina who joined the KKK. His black friend! He said that he went to a Klan rally to fight them, heard what they had to say and decided to join! One of the perks of being black in the KKK is they believe all the stereotypes and bring him buckets of KFC and E&J brandy on his birthday, and it's great! The stereotypes are actually true!

More to follow..

mods changed my name fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

This is why I avoid the vet lounge. It is not worth the risk of listening to that.