Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

oldpainless posted:

The last two matrix movies were what I would call “good movies”.

I was enjoying the second one until my girlfriend at the time got so offended by the weird rave scene that she made us walk out. She did the same thing during 300 with the oracle scene.

anyway they were ok but not great. The stuff between the fight scenes was entirely forgettable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Were the Matrix movies conceived as a trilogy or was the first one meant to be a one-off that got a couple of sequels after it became a hit?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Pastry of the Year posted:

A post about The Blues Brothers in another thread prompted this train of thought:

I really, really like Dan Aykroyd. I feel like most people don't, these days.

It's absolutely true that he's been in some pretty bad movies - not even just, like, duds that were forgotten, but movies that were so bad they are in the Bad Movie Canon - and that he has, gradually, outed himself as a little bit of a nutball. But I love him because of this. You watch his 70s/80s stuff and you know you're watching a comedic genius. The thing is, comedic genius is one of those things, especially if you're of that coke-fueled graduating class of his, that tends to kill you. What we're seeing is what happens when a comedic genius gets to survive, and settle down, retire, and just be themselves.

Aykroyd, man, he made his bones and he probably could honestly never move another muscle in his life and be perfectly well taken care of, but instead, he poured his windfall into being exactly who and what he wanted to be, which is, yes, exactly the sort of grade-A weirdo he liked to write about and portray. I am willing to believe every word that comes out of his mouth, because he has gone on the record as Famous Personality, Dan Aykroyd, saying some of the most mockable and apparently bonkers things in absolute, 100% sincerity.

So the dude has no incentive to lie. Also, I have had his vodka and it's really good.

I'm convinced Akroyd was playing himself in Ghostbusters.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I’m going to guess the latter, because the first one works perfectly as a stand-alone movie. Neo is reborn as the one, kills the previously indomitable Agent Smith with virtually no effort, gets the girl, and has that phone call about how he’s going to wake everyone up which, while we don’t see it, we are given every reason to believe he has the power to do it.

It’s the sequel that walks this back a little bit; Neo still has limits. Smith is still around. The One is actually part of the design, etc.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

I'm convinced Akroyd was playing himself in Ghostbusters.

That is, by all accounts, absolutely the case.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I was enjoying the second one until my girlfriend at the time got so offended by the weird rave scene that she made us walk out. She did the same thing during 300 with the oracle scene.

anyway they were ok but not great. The stuff between the fight scenes was entirely forgettable.

She sounds charming...

Still really like the highway scene in Matrix 2.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

sounds like she had a stick up her rear end, hope you didn't eat it

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I wish someone had made me walk out of the second one. My friends and I were stunned by the utter shitness of the film and couldn't move.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

sounds like she had a stick up her rear end, hope you didn't eat it

She was a devout southern baptist, no sex stuff allowed until marriage (we didn't get married).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol owned.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Das Boo posted:

Kevin Smith's entire filmography is like getting home from a five year trek across Africa and your buddy insisting he's gained wisdom beyond your understanding from sitting in his room and smoking weed.

THis isn't unpopular. You're dropping truth bombs

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

wasnt the rave like five minutes into the movie

also lol what got her offended

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
the highway scene in matrix 2 is the most tedious thing i've ever witnessed on film. it just goes on and on and goes nowhere

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It's a cool scene about a car chase in the Matrix. You must not watch many things on film.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

steinrokkan posted:

the highway scene in matrix 2 is the most tedious thing i've ever witnessed on film. it just goes on and on and goes nowhere

I couldn't agree more. It was shot on an uopened short stretch of freeway and edited to look like a much longer road; unfortunately they did a lovely job and it looks like the hallway scenes in Scooby Doo - you can see the same poo poo in the background go by multiple times.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

doverhog posted:

It's a cool scene about a car chase in the Matrix. You must not watch many things on film.

it's literally the least exciting take on car chase i can think of

doverhog
May 31, 2013

If you approach with a negative attitude towards the movie and the concept of the Matrix, it's gonna suck. It's been a long time since I saw it so maybe it's not as good as memory makes it, but it was cool back in the day.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
nah, it's just really poorly shot and executed, like somebody shooting a bunch of stationary cars and then superimposing a moving background with no regard for the flow of the action.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Ok man I need to watch it again, but poorly shot or not, it seemed cool at the time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
like, if you are going to make a sweeping action scene involving cars, you should probably plan around involving the cars AND the scenery in the scene (see: fury road), not just assume the cars are moving along a nondescript straight highway, and all scenes are just anemic closeups on characters trying to act within the confines of camera equippedcar cabins. Because if you do the latter, your movie is going to look incredibly stilted and boring no matter how much effort you put into your stupid chase scene,

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Oct 28, 2017

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I am empty of purpose, robbed of a voice, because I do not remember what that sequence is like well enough to argue about it any further. Perhaps in the future we will be perfect beings of metal, or liquid, who remember everything, and achieve synthesis. :11tea:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

steinrokkan posted:

it's literally the least exciting take on car chase i can think of

The one in the recent Bond movie (Spectre?) is even more boring. But I agree people hyped up that highway chase so much but there's like 2 good action sequences and then it's just people doing the same thing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This is my favorite car chase:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjNGax3GYug

edit:
Actually....rewatching it, it kinda sucks. Still neat though.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 00:12 on Oct 29, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I don't know how unpopular this is, but those movies (like the second and third Matrix films or Star Wars five and six) where there's one story told over two films rather than a self-contained story told in each film are terrible. You shouldn't walk out of a movie thinking "I wonder how this is going to end?" because you just watched the end of the film. It's fine to leave some things open if they didn't need to be resolved, but the central story of the film should be over. Even if the two movies are produced at the same time so the sequel is definitely coming and can't possibly be cancelled, movies are not TV shows and shouldn't be treated as though they are.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

steinrokkan posted:

like, if you are going to make a sweeping action scene involving cars, you should probably plan around involving the cars AND the scenery in the scene (see: fury road), not just assume the cars are moving along a nondescript straight highway, and all scenes are just anemic closeups on characters trying to act within the confines of camera equippedcar cabins. Because if you do the latter, your movie is going to look incredibly stilted and boring no matter how much effort you put into your stupid chase scene,

You get that it's not a real road, right? They're not going anywhere. It is just a simulation. Called the matrix.

Pretty sure they show that the highway just one big loop around the "city" at one point, too. When you see background elements repeating that's the story, not laziness. The characters are stuck there, waiting for Neo to save them.

Tiggum posted:

You shouldn't walk out of a movie thinking "I wonder how this is going to end?"

Movie studios are only staying in business by leveraging this exact thing. Self-contained films don't sell tickets (reliably enough to risk Ł200m each time making them) any more.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

Didn't you enjoy the five or six times Laurence Fishbourne teetered on the edge of a truck before regaining his balance and continuing the dullest "top of a moving vehicle" fight sequence ever?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

sassassin posted:

You get that it's not a real road, right? They're not going anywhere. It is just a simulation. Called the matrix.

Pretty sure they show that the highway just one big loop around the "city" at one point, too. When you see background elements repeating that's the story, not laziness. The characters are stuck there, waiting for Neo to save them

It's also supposed to be an entertaining scene in a big budget hollywood movie. The foot chases in the first Matrix were way more exciting and dynamic and those also took place in a simulation.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

She was a devout southern baptist, no sex stuff allowed until marriage (we didn't get married).

Ok, no sex stuff, but did you eat her rear end platonically?

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer
I think I posted earlier in this thread about how The Dark Knight is just OK, through Heath Ledger did a good job with the script he was given.

Superhero movies are bad in general. They aren't even good as mindless schlock you see with your friends. The whole concept of the "superhero" we see in American comics is pretty stupid, and not in a "so bad it's good" way. It's just a dumb fantasy for people to wish that they were stronger than they are and could make a difference. It's kind of pathetic to be really interested in superheroes. Granted, this opinion might not be so unpopular because I suspect that superhero movies will die out within the next 5 years or so anyway.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

The Smash Mouth cover of "I'm a Believer" is superior to the original in almost every way.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

AutumnDDP posted:

I think I posted earlier in this thread about how The Dark Knight is just OK, through Heath Ledger did a good job with the script he was given.

Superhero movies are bad in general. They aren't even good as mindless schlock you see with your friends. The whole concept of the "superhero" we see in American comics is pretty stupid, and not in a "so bad it's good" way. It's just a dumb fantasy for people to wish that they were stronger than they are and could make a difference. It's kind of pathetic to be really interested in superheroes. Granted, this opinion might not be so unpopular because I suspect that superhero movies will die out within the next 5 years or so anyway.

Why the question of whether a superhero movie is "good" or not?

It's the same model as the Call of Duty franchise is to video games, release a nearly identical, mediocre product every six months that is guaranteed to sell no matter what, critical scores be damned.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Superhero movies are usually pretty terrible because they are way more concerned with building their brand than telling a coherent or compelling story. I just feel sort of robbed after watching them most of the time. Most of the Marvel movies are trash although I admit that new Spiderman movie was enjoyable when it wasn't leeching on to cinematic universe poo poo, and the first Iron Man movie was dope.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Biggest evidence of that is how they announce release dates before they even have directors, actors, or even a screenplay locked down.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

veni veni veni posted:

I just feel sort of robbed after watching them most of the time.

Then don't.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I usually don't.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

veni veni veni posted:

I usually don't.

now all you need to do is not post

doverhog
May 31, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Superhero movies are usually pretty terrible because they are way more concerned with building their brand than telling a coherent or compelling story. I just feel sort of robbed after watching them most of the time. Most of the Marvel movies are trash although I admit that new Spiderman movie was enjoyable when it wasn't leeching on to cinematic universe poo poo, and the first Iron Man movie was dope.

Superhero movie is a genre, like "western". Some are actually good. I really liked Deadpool and Logan.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Caufman posted:

Ok, no sex stuff, but did you eat her rear end platonically?

It took her a month before she'd even hug me the normal non-side-hug way. She probably would have fainted if I even mentioned rear end eating, platonic or otherwise.

anyway I like some superhero movies but batman in particular always annoyed me because there's nothing special about him except his gadgets and basically unlimited money. It's just a normal guy who made the conscious decision to fight crime while dressed as a bat and that always seemed ridiculous to me. At least with spiderman his costume choice makes sense.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Were the Matrix movies conceived as a trilogy or was the first one meant to be a one-off that got a couple of sequels after it became a hit?

They were going to do a prequel and a sequel, but the execs balked at doing a prequel with a whole new cast of characters. So they extended the one sequel into two. Which is why there's so much pointless padding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
All fiction is bad. Also having fun as an adult in 2017 is immoral.