Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

mario has had nose jiggle physics for years now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
so is the new AC good or what

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

It’s funny how many costumes Odyssey includes without the need for lootboxes (I guess there are technically Amiibo.)

It's a shame Nintendo is going to go out of business as a result of not using loot boxes in Odyssey.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Rip Mario, didn't even make Top Sellers. Shameful tbh

(how the gently caress are people still buying GTAV)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm too lazy to do it myself right now but I'm like 90% sure you could make stereoscopic mario odyssey screenshots with the "silhouette" filter which just looks like a fat z buffer dump, z buffer stereo sucks but I bet it would look at least a little bit sick

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Has Mario always been this expressive since the days of Sunshine and Galaxy and I just never noticed

Nah, one of the most appealing things about the first Odyssey trailer to me was how much more expressive, fun and cartoony Mario was than he’s been in the “New” era. It reminds me of those recent Mickey Mouse shorts that felt like they were having fun with the character again.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Saint Freak posted:

maybe they didn't have it (like me) and bought it on sale (not like me)

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Tbh I was not expecting a Mario game to have the best photo mode of the year

Mario can’t blow kisses which is a big point in Hat in Time’s favor. But then Mario can wear swim trunks and a cowboy hat so maybe the true lesson is that every game needs a photo mode.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

New Donk City makes me think maybe we're the weird looking ones and not mario

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Saint Freak posted:

GTAV still is in the Top 10 games sold this year.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

its good

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

precision posted:

heard it's pretty decent! im looking forward to starting it up after beating wolf 2

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
they took an extra year to basically redesign everything from the ground up and the art and sound design is fantastic to boot

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
also now you own an eagle that you can command to peck people on the head

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Saint Freak posted:

it;s a money laundering scheme

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In addition to headshots the Far Cry bird could drop bee bombs on enemies, what else has this eagle got

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

In addition to headshots the Far Cry bird could drop bee bombs on enemies, what else has this eagle got

its about the same level of combat functionality as the owl

its better at spying/spotting places/setting up great photos outside of combat

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

exploded mummy posted:

also now you own an eagle that you can command to peck people on the head

alright i've bought it already, sheesh

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Speaking of animals in games, I just read about the intro to Wolfenstein II and though I'm still amped to play it, its ranking on the 2017 Pet Interaction Tier List is... uh...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Speaking of animals in games, I just read about the intro to Wolfenstein II and though I'm still amped to play it, its ranking on the 2017 Pet Interaction Tier List is... uh...

There's a pig you can feed later on.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Can you feed nazis to the pig?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
don't feed pigs trash

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

homeless snail posted:

I'm too lazy to do it myself right now but I'm like 90% sure you could make stereoscopic mario odyssey screenshots with the "silhouette" filter which just looks like a fat z buffer dump, z buffer stereo sucks but I bet it would look at least a little bit sick

These sure are words, I think.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

These sure are words, I think.
hi here is your graphics programming lesson of the day, the z buffer (aka depth buffer) is a memory buffer that's populated at render time and contains the depth of each pixel in screen space or in other words the distance of that thing from the camera
                            \

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
why is dr mario giving me a computer science lesson

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

exploded mummy posted:

why is dr mario giving me a computer science lesson

What did you think he got his doctorate in?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

dr mario doesn't have a degree, actually

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Olive! posted:

They should replace every instance of 'soda'/'juice'/'milk' in Nintendo games with gin. Nothing but gin

Follow Jeremy Parish's Gintendo for all your NES related cocktail recipes.

Bubsy is Claws von Stauffenberg in Operation Valkyrie. Taking it to Hitler nine lives at a time.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

homeless snail posted:

he does but like bill nye it's merely an honorary doctorate

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

homeless snail posted:

How do we know this? I believe you, but I haven't played Dr. Mario in decades.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Olive! posted:

What did you think he got his doctorate in?

plumbing

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

homeless snail posted:

he doesn't but I definitely do

\

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I said come in! posted:

How do we know this? I believe you, but I haven't played Dr. Mario in decades.

Miyamoto confirmed that Mario is younger than everyone posting here and isn't a doctor. I don't even think he's a licensed plumber.

Peach should just marry Bowser then divorce him and take half his poo poo.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

homeless snail posted:

He has a PhD in pain.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Mario used to be a plumber.

Peach's net worth must be pretty high in order to build giant statues of herself

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bowser really needs to be seeing a therapist, his obsession with Peach is more then a little unhealthy, maybe.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

chumbler posted:

It's a shame Nintendo is going to go out of business as a result of not using loot boxes in Odyssey.

For the past decade there have been real life Mario blind boxes like those chocolate eggs w/figures included but we aren't allowed to have those in America anyways.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ac origins may be bad like every ac game except maybe brotherhood but at least it has Most Fun Building Climbing going for it

[puts finger to ear]

hold on... breaking... just in...... New Donk City is reportedly extremely win, and epic

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think that one lady villain with the bird on her head in Mario RPG was the first example of breast physics in a Mario game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

precision posted:

It is really, really good. Assassin's Creed has always felt like a series stuck in the 2000s, but they finally decided to modernize things and adapt stuff from other games -- most notably, The Witcher 3.

They moved away from the aging GTA-style "go to a big letter on the map where one of the quest NPCs is" to having lots of smaller sidequests scattered around the world, which helps both to make the world seem bigger and worth exploring, and to give you a reason to go check out bases or tombs rather than simply because there's a map icon there and you need to do X icons for the plot to progress. You gotta get that guy's horse back! Some of the sidequests are bigger than others, or may lead into different ones, and of course there's a main storyline as well.

The fabled Ubisoft Towers are still present and you can climb them if you want, but they just unlock new places to fast travel to. Revealing stuff on the map is done by actually going to see what's there. This is the one on the Pharos Lighthouse:

The map is divided up into zones and it can be pretty silly in places, like you may cross the river and on the other side are a bunch of invincible hippos that you cannot hope to fight, but it works well enough. Basically, the whole thing feels more like an action rpg (albeit one without dialog options) than previous games have, for better or worse. Plus the protagonist is pretty great, though he's clearly yet another example of them trying to be like the witcher. Dude is uninterested in political intrigue and poo poo, he just wants to murder people for revenge and gets involved in global events mostly because of being so drat good at it.

• Locked thread